Official LineageOS 14.1 Q&A thread

Search This thread

Ellahi

Jan 12, 2018
Tamil nadu ( India)
Root access disabled this rom ADB enable OPTION ONLY.....HOW TO USE ROOT Apps....

I am using moto g 2015 XT 1550

I am used Latest build rom 7.4.2018

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180409-181742.png
    Screenshot_20180409-181742.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 200

BenjyTec

Jun 8, 2015
Last edited:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Nice to see an apology about this year's LOS April Fools joke, particularly regarding the fact that the joke included a persistent notification which confused people, and that LOS specifically apologized to the maintainers who were not involved in that decision but had to hear complaints about it in forums such as XDA and elsewhere.

https://lineageos.org/An-April-Apology/

IMHO, no such jokes have any place in development or any product testing (whether community or industry based) for the same reasons cited in the apology - the undermining of trust, and this one was worse than usual. Have a joke in a marketing or administrative department but don't prank the testers.

(P.S Please pardon my quasi spamming this note across a few threads for devices on which I test LOS)

exdeee

Oct 17, 2017
Nice to see an apology about this year's LOS April Fools joke, particularly regarding the fact that the joke included a persistent notification which confused people, and that LOS specifically apologized to the maintainers who were not involved in that decision but had to hear complaints about it in forums such as XDA and elsewhere.

IMHO, no such jokes have any place in development or any product testing (whether community or industry based) for the same reasons cited in the apology - the undermining of trust, and this one was worse than usual. Have a joke in a marketing or administrative department but don't prank the testers.

(P.S Please pardon my quasi spamming this note across a few threads for devices on which I test LOS)

Agreed with you 100 %. I got also confused with this message, there shouldn't be any jokes like this related to a users. Some phones got this update after Aprils Fools and In my opinion there were for sure people who considered moving to a different OS or even moved to a different one.

Reactions: IronTechmonkey

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Agreed with you 100 %. I got also confused with this message, there shouldn't be any jokes like this related to a users. Some phones got this update after Aprils Fools and In my opinion there were for sure people who considered moving to a different OS or even moved to a different one.

FWIW, once the joke was known, it could then be deduced by reading the commits that it would be removed as of April 8. That being said, something like a surprise wallpaper (which most of us change anyhow) might have been better received.

BenjyTec

Jun 8, 2015
Mobile data one touch on/ off UI change pls... otherwise rom work super..
I also wish it was handled differently, as it takes two tips to switch it on. This way, the quick settings don't make a whole lot of sense in case of the mobile data toggle. Unlucky this has to be changed by the LineageOS team, not by the maintainer Alberto, as it is an official ROM.
But you could check out the Oreo AOSP ROM by Alberto. Except camcorder I personally would consider it as stable, and there you can directly turn on mobile data with a single tap on the quick setting toggle.

Ellahi

Jan 12, 2018
Tamil nadu ( India)
I also wish it was handled differently, as it takes two tips to switch it on. This way, the quick settings don't make a whole lot of sense in case of the mobile data toggle. Unlucky this has to be changed by the LineageOS team, not by the maintainer Alberto, as it is an official ROM.
But you could check out the Oreo AOSP ROM by Alberto. Except camcorder I personally would consider it as stable, and there you can directly turn on mobile data with a single tap on the quick setting toggle.

Thanks bro ..but oreo roms GPS bugs not fix ... I am using GPS MONTHLY 2 or 3 times .... so i am using this rom ...

pratyushshopping

Feb 13, 2017
Jaipur
Every time I update to a new build I usually wipe everything except External Sd. Is it necessary to wipe everything? Or can I keep some stuff. Please tell

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Every time I update to a new build I usually wipe everything except External Sd. Is it necessary to wipe everything? Or can I keep some stuff. Please tell

What each of us defines as "everything" may vary according to each of our preferences and methods but this is what I do:

- Wipe dalvik and system caches (this step may be redundant but I do it anyhow because it forces more thorough habits overall).
- "Factory Reset".
- Flash ROM, Gapps, SU.
- Wipe dalvik and system caches.
- Reboot.

There are some cases where it is also recommended to wipe "data" while wiping caches, eg when flashing some ROM's on some devices for the first time or after there have been serious problems with a previous ROM. Disclaimer: This is just one of many potential variations of this work-flow.

Reactions: pratyushshopping

pratyushshopping

Feb 13, 2017
Jaipur
What each of us defines as "everything" may vary according to each of our preferences and methods but this is what I do:

- Wipe dalvik and system caches (this step may be redundant but I do it anyhow because it forces more thorough habits overall).
- "Factory Reset".
- Flash ROM, Gapps, SU.
- Wipe dalvik and system caches.
- Reboot.

There are some cases where it is also recommended to wipe "data" while wiping caches, eg when flashing some ROM's on some devices for the first time or after there have been serious problems with a previous ROM. Disclaimer: This is just one of many potential variations of this work-flow.
For me everything includes everything from advanced wipe except External sd.
I wonder what factory reset does. Does it wipe cache and data as well?

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
For me everything includes everything from advanced wipe except External sd.
I wonder what factory reset does. Does it wipe cache and data as well?

That's more than should be needed if you are switching between similar ROMs, but it might have its own benefits, especially when testing a variety of ROMs and Mods.

Finding out what a factory reset does is an easy internet search but you could start here: https://androidforums.com/threads/factory-reset-what-is-it-and-why-would-you.646432/

Reactions: pratyushshopping

adbhitman

Jul 31, 2015
Ok I don't get this. I have tested official build from LOS webpage and gps is working. If I build rom from sources gps is not working for me. I have used LOS wiki quide for building and added .repo/local_manifest.xml file which tells to download vendor files (<project path="vendor/motorola" name="Alberto97/proprietary_vendor_motorola" remote="github" revision="cm-14.1" /> ).

Is there something what I have missed? What is official/right repository link for vendor files? Or is just my building machine somehow messed up?

YESN3Y

Apr 11, 2018
hello someone can help me I have a Galaxy S4 with lineage OS 14.1, active mobile data and I only have internet in 2 or 3 app I have to use hotspot shield so that the other app have internet, someone can help me to not have to depend on the hotspot shield, thank you and excuse my english

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

BenjyTec

Jun 8, 2015
hello someone can help me I have a Galaxy S4 with lineage OS 14.1, active mobile data and I only have internet in 2 or 3 app I have to use hotspot shield so that the other app have internet, someone can help me to not have to depend on the hotspot shield, thank you and excuse my english

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk
You are in the Moto G3 section here...
Section of Galaxy S4: https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4
I think it's the best if you post into the thread of your ROM if there exists one.

Last edited:
Reactions: YESN3Y

adbhitman

Jul 31, 2015
Ok I don't get this. I have tested official build from LOS webpage and gps is working. If I build rom from sources gps is not working for me. I have used LOS wiki quide for building and added .repo/local_manifest.xml file which tells to download vendor files (<project path="vendor/motorola" name="Alberto97/proprietary_vendor_motorola" remote="github" revision="cm-14.1" /> ).

Is there something what I have missed? What is official/right repository link for vendor files? Or is just my building machine somehow messed up?

Answering to myself seems like <project path="vendor/motorola" name="Alberto97/proprietary_vendor_motorola" remote="github" revision="cm-14.1" /> is not giving working gps after building.
When I tried to build with <project path="vendor/motorola" name="TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_motorola" remote="github" revision="cm-14.1" /> TheMuppets vendor files are giving for me working gps.

Can anyone point me vendor files what are used to build with offical LOS releases?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Use this thread for questions, help and anything else about LineageOS that does not belong to the ROM development itself, thank you.

FAQs
    • Does LineageOS support VoLTE? YES
    • If I install LineageOS will I lose MotoActions? We have our own implementation of MotoActions configurable under Settings -> Gestures, so the answer is No
    • Your ROM is unrooted, can I install SuperSU? We discourage SuperSU usage, flash our su package (arm) and then enable root access from Settings -> Developer options.
    Hi @Alberto97 I was having Night Light in quick tiles in your 14 Dec Unofficial build but I can't see the tile in Official One??

I did not release anything that day, that is a CM13 feature that is coming back anyway
    I just want to know why vowifi and 64bit not supported yet by this rom as the processor is officially supports both of the futures.
    @IronTechmonkey & @Alberto97
    our device (kernel, device trees ) library and driver is based on 32 bit.. so motrola need to release 64bit based driver or library for any sms8916 device, which is not possible...
    so technically ya our device is support 64 bit but practically our device is limited with 32bit..
    so its hard to port from 32 bit ti 64 bit...
    and alberto97 tried to port 64 bit... but due to lack for sensors drives he abounded that one...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Hi guy i have a problem with the memory management whenever i keep download in mobile after sometime it shutdown the browser i went to battery option and i did the do not optimize for battery for the browser but it didn't work still my ongoing download automatically close, please help me

@IronTechmonkey had reported on JIRA that he felt the low memory killer (LMK) defaults are overly aggressive for 1 GB RAM devices. You can tinker with the LMK settings using something like KernelAdiutor and see if it improves your experience.

I do intend to look at tweaking the defaults when I have more time to test memory management on a 1 GB RAM device myself.