Individual sim preferred network type selection

Search This thread

dark_polok

Jan 22, 2011
Hello!

I just bought my OnePlus 6 2 days ago. I've switched from a Xiaomi phone. One problem I am facing with this phone is I cannot individually select the preferred network type or each of my sims.

My Sim-1 (the data sim) is running on 4G-LTE network and Sim-2 is running on 3G-UMTS. I'd like my Sim-2 to run on 2G-GSM ONLY network as it saves battery and GSM signal strength for this particular sim is better in my area. However, neither the Sim & network menu, nor the *#*#4636#*#* code menu lets me select the preferred network type for Sim-2.

The code menu on my Xiaomi allowed me to set them individually. Is there any way the same can be done on OnePlus 6?

Thanks in advance.

surface13

Apr 19, 2011
SLC
Just switch "Mobile data" to SIM-2 and change the preferred network type to 2G and then change "Mobile data" back to SIM-1, this will keep SIM2 in 2G mode

I saw this last week, changed it on my phone as well, and it worked great!
However, after updating to 5.1.6, I noticed it changed them back. And dual 4g option was disabled by default.

When I keep sim1 on 4g/3g/2g, I switch to sim2, change it to 2g only. Then switch back to sim1 it changed to 3g/2g. I leave it like that, and switch back to sim2, and it also is set to 3g/2g. I have the dual 4g option disabled.

When I enabled the Dual 4G option, I was able to make sim1 4g/3g/2g preferred, change sim2 to 2g. Switch back to sim1 and it stayed with the 4g, switched to sim2 and it was still on 2g.

Reactions: dark_polok

dark_polok

Jan 22, 2011
However, after updating to 5.1.6, I noticed it changed them back. And dual 4g option was disabled by default.

When I keep sim1 on 4g/3g/2g, I switch to sim2, change it to 2g only. Then switch back to sim1 it changed to 3g/2g. I leave it like that, and switch back to sim2, and it also is set to 3g/2g. I have the dual 4g option disabled.

When I enabled the Dual 4G option, I was able to make sim1 4g/3g/2g preferred, change sim2 to 2g. Switch back to sim1 and it stayed with the 4g, switched to sim2 and it was still on 2g.

Thank you so much!

I was almost losing my mind again after the 5.1.6 update as battery consumption had increased because settings got changed automatically. On top of that, the prior method wasn't working. But the method you mentioned for 5.1.6 is working fine now. You just saved my night's sleep!

Thanks again

surface13

Apr 19, 2011
SLC
5.1.9 seems to have broken this. Whatever I have sim1 on, sim2 follows. Anytime find a work around to have 1 sim with 4g/3g/2g and the other 2g only?

dark_polok

Jan 22, 2011
UPDATE: I think I've found a workaround. Manually select network operator for the second sim and select the 2G version of the network. Seems to be working for me. Try it and let me know if it works for you.

UPDATE 2: Nevermind. It reverted back to whatever setting I had for sim 1. This is so annoying!

5.1.9 seems to have broken this. Whatever I have sim1 on, sim2 follows. Anytime find a work around to have 1 sim with 4g/3g/2g and the other 2g only?

Back to the same problem in 5.1.11

surface13

Apr 19, 2011
SLC
UPDATE: I think I've found a workaround. Manually select network operator for the second sim and select the 2G version of the network. Seems to be working for me. Try it and let me know if it works for you.

UPDATE 2: Nevermind. It reverted back to whatever setting I had for sim 1. This is so annoying!

Seems to be working for me in 5.1.11
Works whether or not I have dual 4g enabled

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

I just bought my OnePlus 6 2 days ago. I've switched from a Xiaomi phone. One problem I am facing with this phone is I cannot individually select the preferred network type or each of my sims.

My Sim-1 (the data sim) is running on 4G-LTE network and Sim-2 is running on 3G-UMTS. I'd like my Sim-2 to run on 2G-GSM ONLY network as it saves battery and GSM signal strength for this particular sim is better in my area. However, neither the Sim & network menu, nor the *#*#4636#*#* code menu lets me select the preferred network type for Sim-2.

The code menu on my Xiaomi allowed me to set them individually. Is there any way the same can be done on OnePlus 6?

Thanks in advance.
    Just switch "Mobile data" to SIM-2 and change the preferred network type to 2G and then change "Mobile data" back to SIM-1, this will keep SIM2 in 2G mode