should i buy?

Search This thread

Veid71

Apr 1, 2015
OnePlus 9 Pro
hey i am currently on the market for a new phone, i currently have the google pixel xl and i love it, ive heard bad things about the 2xl though with all the problems it has and i dont like the fact that the s9+ is unrootable in america and the international version doesnt work on my carrier sprint because they only support cdma bands and the international version only supports the GSM bands and ive heard the OP6 is terrible from a lot of people so that really just leaves the note 8 but it doesnt seem like theres much as far as development goes for it

Reactions: oredramo

sefrcoko

Feb 20, 2012
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 8
hey i am currently on the market for a new phone, i currently have the google pixel xl and i love it, ive heard bad things about the 2xl though with all the problems it has and i dont like the fact that the s9+ is unrootable in america and the international version doesnt work on my carrier sprint because they only support cdma bands and the international version only supports the GSM bands and ive heard the OP6 is terrible from a lot of people so that really just leaves the note 8 but it doesnt seem like theres much as far as development goes for it
U.S. snapdragons are also bootloader locked, like the S9s. The international versions are not, and have lots of development in the roms section. Not sure they would work with Sprint either though.

Veid71

Apr 1, 2015
OnePlus 9 Pro
U.S. snapdragons are also bootloader locked, like the S9s. The international versions are not, and have lots of development in the roms section. Not sure they would work with Sprint either though.

it makes me wonder though, if i can buy an unlocked phone then why are the bands different? shouldnt an unlocked phone be able to go to any carrier with both gsm and cdma?

sefrcoko

Feb 20, 2012
it makes me wonder though, if i can buy an unlocked phone then why are the bands different? shouldnt an unlocked phone be able to go to any carrier with both gsm and cdma?
I know what you mean, but I guess there are just different phones for different markets. If they are sim unlocked then all it means is that it is not locked to a particular carrier. It doesn't automatically guarantee that it will work with every carrier around the globe, or work in the exact same way. I believe the U.S. Snapdragons have CDMA (unlike Exynos), but I've never used Sprint so can't say for certain how that works. I can't see the Note 8 being different from the S9 in that regard.

Reactions: oredramo

Veid71

Apr 1, 2015
OnePlus 9 Pro
I know what you mean, but I guess there are just different phones for different markets. If they are sim unlocked then all it means is that it is not locked to a particular carrier. It doesn't automatically guarantee that it will work with every carrier around the globe, or work in the exact same way. I believe the U.S. Snapdragons have CDMA (unlike Exynos), but I've never used Sprint so can't say for certain how that works.

yeah i just looked up their processors and it looks like snapdragon supports gsm and cdma but exynos doesnt support cdma atleast for the s9+ so im still stuck lol it looks like the note 8 you can root on the sprint version but i didnt see too much development for it is snapdragon just unrootable or do you think theyll find a way to root it? i really like the features and things of the s9+ but theres just such an untapped reservoir of potential with not rooting it

sefrcoko

Feb 20, 2012
yeah i just looked up their processors and it looks like snapdragon supports gsm and cdma but exynos doesnt support cdma atleast for the s9+ so im still stuck lol it looks like the note 8 you can root on the sprint version but i didnt see too much development for it is snapdragon just unrootable or do you think theyll find a way to root it? i really like the features and things of the s9+ but theres just such an untapped reservoir of potential with not rooting it
I have an Exynos so I may be mistaken here, but to my knowledge the U.S. snapdragons were able to be rooted on Nougat (even with their locked bootloaders), but it's not possible at the moment on Oreo. That could change, but I don't know how likely (or unlikely) that is. Check out the SamFail thread for more info on root for Snapdragon.

Veid71

Apr 1, 2015
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have an Exynos so I may be mistaken here, but to my knowledge the U.S. snapdragons were able to be rooted on Nougat (even with their locked bootloaders), but it's not possible at the moment on Oreo. That could change, but I don't know how likely (or unlikely) that is. Check out the SamFail thread for more info on root for Snapdragon.

the s9+ can be rooted? ill check it out

naiku

Mar 10, 2008
I am starting to consider the Note 8 as well. I had a Note 3, loved it, had an S7 Edge for a couple years but recently sold that and picked up a Pixel 2 XL. In my case the 2 XL is a great phone, it's fast, stock android is great, but it continually drops the Bluetooth connection to my Gear S3 frontier which is maddening. The S7 Edge was rock solid and never once dropped the connection to the watch, the 2 XL has dropped the connection at least half a dozen times today alone.

$200 off currently on an unlocked Note 8 has me seriously considering returning the 2 XL as I am still within the 30 day return period.

winol

Jan 18, 2010
COATZACOALCOS
The most important reason to buy a note series device should be the s pen, in your case, I believe that the spen is not the main reason, so, I would sugest to you to get another device

Reactions: wase4711

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
I am starting to consider the Note 8 as well. I had a Note 3, loved it, had an S7 Edge for a couple years but recently sold that and picked up a Pixel 2 XL. In my case the 2 XL is a great phone, it's fast, stock android is great, but it continually drops the Bluetooth connection to my Gear S3 frontier which is maddening. The S7 Edge was rock solid and never once dropped the connection to the watch, the 2 XL has dropped the connection at least half a dozen times today alone.

$200 off currently on an unlocked Note 8 has me seriously considering returning the 2 XL as I am still within the 30 day return period.

I've actually just today considering trading my Unlocked Note 8 for the Google Pixel XL 2 but it didn't go through as planned. I'm really interested in the great camera on the XL 2 and I'd like to try the stock Android experience. Do you only have Bluetooth issues on the gear s3? I have the Fitbit Ionic and use Bluetooth in my truck so if there's a serious Bluetooth issue I'm not so sure anymore. I had the same Bluetooth issues on the LG V20 which is why I got the Note 8.

naiku

Mar 10, 2008
I've actually just today considering trading my Unlocked Note 8 for the Google Pixel XL 2 but it didn't go through as planned. I'm really interested in the great camera on the XL 2 and I'd like to try the stock Android experience. Do you only have Bluetooth issues on the gear s3? I have the Fitbit Ionic and use Bluetooth in my truck so if there's a serious Bluetooth issue I'm not so sure anymore. I had the same Bluetooth issues on the LG V20 which is why I got the Note 8.

Honestly, as much as I love the Pixel 2 XL, the camera is great and stock Android is exactly what I had hoped (no junk apps, nothing I can't remove if I don't want it etc.) the Bluetooth issues are seriously frustrating. What is doubly annoying is that on Monday for example, it disconnected from my Gear S3 at least half a dozen times, but yesterday did not disconnect a single time. If you take a look though, BT connectivity issues definitely plague the 2XL, take a look at this thread for example, started in October last year: https://productforums.google.com/fo...!msg/phone-by-google/-lpPfDGvkNw/hzLdYStbAgAJ As you can see, it is still ongoing and covers all sorts of devices.

I am kind of stuck really, part of me wants to return the phone because I use the Gear S3 far more than I ever expected, taking calls on it is handy if I am in the garage for example and don't have my phone on me, my work calendar syncs to it which is great for quickly checking in the morning on my meetings etc. But, on the flip side the phone is so fast and smooth, that I really enjoy using it.

Overall how do you like the Note 8? I loved my Note 3, one of my favorite phones to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMosley

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Honestly, as much as I love the Pixel 2 XL, the camera is great and stock Android is exactly what I had hoped (no junk apps, nothing I can't remove if I don't want it etc.) the Bluetooth issues are seriously frustrating. What is doubly annoying is that on Monday for example, it disconnected from my Gear S3 at least half a dozen times, but yesterday did not disconnect a single time. If you take a look though, BT connectivity issues definitely plague the 2XL, take a look at this thread for example, started in October last year: https://productforums.google.com/fo...!msg/phone-by-google/-lpPfDGvkNw/hzLdYStbAgAJ As you can see, it is still ongoing and covers all sorts of devices.

I am kind of stuck really, part of me wants to return the phone because I use the Gear S3 far more than I ever expected, taking calls on it is handy if I am in the garage for example and don't have my phone on me, my work calendar syncs to it which is great for quickly checking in the morning on my meetings etc. But, on the flip side the phone is so fast and smooth, that I really enjoy using it.

Overall how do you like the Note 8? I loved my Note 3, one of my favorite phones to date.

Thank you for your honesty. I did further research and I found many saying my $300 Fitbit Ionic watch isn't compatible with the Pixel 2 XL, so I'm glad I didn't trade my device yet. The only device I wouldn't mind trading for is the S9+ because I know there won't be any issues with compatibility.

naiku

Mar 10, 2008
Thank you for your honesty. I did further research and I found many saying my $300 Fitbit Ionic watch isn't compatible with the Pixel 2 XL, so I'm glad I didn't trade my device yet. The only device I wouldn't mind trading for is the S9+ because I know there won't be any issues with compatibility.

No problem, I wish I had known about the Bluetooth issue before getting my 2XL. I had heard there were some issues but was not expecting it to be quite so extensive. Annoyingly, I may be stuck with the phone as I am a few days outside the 15-day return window, which will leave me just hoping for a fix.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: BigMosley

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know what you mean, but I guess there are just different phones for different markets. If they are sim unlocked then all it means is that it is not locked to a particular carrier. It doesn't automatically guarantee that it will work with every carrier around the globe, or work in the exact same way. I believe the U.S. Snapdragons have CDMA (unlike Exynos), but I've never used Sprint so can't say for certain how that works. I can't see the Note 8 being different from the S9 in that regard.
    The most important reason to buy a note series device should be the s pen, in your case, I believe that the spen is not the main reason, so, I would sugest to you to get another device

No problem, I wish I had known about the Bluetooth issue before getting my 2XL. I had heard there were some issues but was not expecting it to be quite so extensive. Annoyingly, I may be stuck with the phone as I am a few days outside the 15-day return window, which will leave me just hoping for a fix.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: