The Mate 10 will be my last Huawei phone...

Search This thread

eyeb

Mar 6, 2011
Anyone else don't mind the lack of updates? But until this phone I was running with blackberry and HTC HD2/windows mobile phones... <---- yeah, I don't mind not having updates if what I use keeps working

gonzo99

Jun 1, 2008
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Anyone else don't mind the lack of updates? But until this phone I was running with blackberry and HTC HD2/windows mobile phones... <---- yeah, I don't mind not having updates if what I use keeps working

I could live without huge updates if what was there was working. But at the very least a company that wants to claim it is interested in long term support for it's customers should be able to roll out monthly security updates to Android - (I'm still on March). If I'm using banking apps and password managers etc on a phone I want to know that it is at least vaguely secure.

The last update I got, about 2 months ago, borked OK Google voice match which I still haven't got working properly. There are still regular bluetooth audio rooting oddities.

What's more frustrating is that certain models (C432) seem to have had much more frequent updates, including face unlock, while my C782 which as far as I can tell is the same hardware and same language, hasn't.

I can live with EMUI oddities with another launcher and I even like some of the smart assistance they've added, but if I buy a flagship I'd like to know that in 3 years time I can still use it as a daily driver. One of the reasons for me choosing a phone with unlockable bootloader was so that if/when their support cycle ends I can go to Lineage and at least have a fairly secure android experience.

Of course Huawei and other suppliers want us to buy a new phone in 2 years, so the poor long term support may be a commercial decision, but without being dramatic, I won't be buying Huawei again. I'd rather spend less on a no-name phone that can either be upgraded, or swapped more cheaply if it does become obselete.

I came from a Oneplus One and have done the full modding/custom ROM and wanted to poke my toe back into 'normal' Android to avoid problems running my banking app and the minor issues that custom ROMS usually bring, but I'm finding more issues with a stock ROM out of the box and practically no benefits.

The only thing my Mate 10 Pro has going for it at the moment is the battery and that is good enough that I am probably not going to trade it in for a OP6 or similar. I am apparently a heavy user and need consistent 5-6 hours SOT. Even there, Huawei seem to have made the strange decision to make their power management so aggressive that it's hard to keep anything like Tasker or more simple notifications reliable without turning everything off (after which I get similar if not better SOT - go figure).

Once I am confident of a decent camera performance I may well jump to Lineage and at least at the moment that is an option because I have a bootloader unlock code - assuming they don't trash that with a future update....

I am not a Huawei hater, just a person who likes to choose phones carefully that I feel are user friendly. I switched from multiple HTC phones in the past because of their change in attitude to bootloaders ( and the appalling battery life on the One X) and I will switch from Huawei to find an alternative that meets my needs more - If Huawei can continue their rise by going more mainstream and locking out the small but vocal tinkerers, then good luck to them.

I didn't go Pixel this time because of the expense compared to my Mate 10 Pro (and the lower battery, plus potential other issues) - so I may well look at an Android One phone next time. Or one of the smaller name phones who tend not to mess much with stock and put in a larger battery.

It seems that my needs for a large battery are in the minority because the suppliers think we want a 0.5mm thinner phone. At least Huawei bucked that trend and for that reason I think the Mate 10 Pro is a nice phone. It is not a great phone though and will not be considered one in 2-3 years still. It will be interesting to see how much the P20 Pro is supported once they bring out the Mate 20 Pro later this year - If removing the bootloader meant they actually bring timely updates and bug fixes, then maybe I'll reconsider, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: white FANNg

WaxysDargle

Jul 17, 2012
omg whiners. you got what you paid for. nothing unorthodox happening here. most phones are getting locked bootloaders and untimely updates. just buy your pixels and move along already.

Reactions: XERO_Racer

RabidWolve

Feb 8, 2018
omg whiners. you got what you paid for. nothing unorthodox happening here. most phones are getting locked bootloaders and untimely updates. just buy your pixels and move along already.

Whiners? You kidding me.
This phone isn't exactly cheap.
And Huawei promised quick android updates which they flat out lied about. People have a
right to be upset with their purchase as they bought it on promises made from them.

But you are right Pixel and id add Nokia on the list for timely updates.

Last edited:

madman_cro

May 14, 2009
Im getting update about every 1.5-2 months witch is fine with me. More than i got with other phones. Seems eu region is just fine. Too bad some regions are getting less.

WaxysDargle

Jul 17, 2012
Whiners? You kidding me.
And Huawei promised quick android updates which they flat out lied about. People have a
right to be upset with their purchase as they bought it on promises made from them.

Who told you that you should trust any giant company like Huawei? They all lie about updates and countless other things. It's naive to do so.

novastar1

Sep 25, 2009
Im getting update about every 1.5-2 months witch is fine with me. More than i got with other phones. Seems eu region is just fine. Too bad some regions are getting less.

C605 and c636 are also fine
Monthly updates usually with the penultimate security patch

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Whiners? You kidding me.

How far behind are you on updates?
And what region code?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is this a joke? This subforum is just laughable, I usually lurk here for anything new and interesting, instead however I see most of the time is someone complaining about the phone not getting timely updates, "ugh, this is my last Huawei phone" "I hate how slow these updates are rolling out compare to others" "Where is my update, and why does this _____ region have this update but I dont?"

THIS is all I see here being posted whether its a new post or someone making comments on an already existing post. What has this turned into? "Lets complain about Huawei and crappy their support is subforum"?

Like the dude above me, I have been here since 2008 and this is by far probably on par with the Mate 9 subforum here on XDA the worst. No offense but damn!

You want updates in a timely manner? Get a Pixel
    You want extensive ROM/Kernel developement with big support? Get a Snapdragon phone.

Simple as that, yeah sucks Huawei is going to shut down its bootloader unlocking service but thats reality and it might be for the better anyways. Yes this is XDA risk are taken but...(Think from Huawei's stand point)

Honestly I could CARE LESS about it. These phones were excellent from the start, I have no complaints whatsoever. Huawei out did themselves in terms of delivering a phone for performance and battery out of the box both 10s and the 9.

I see this more as a daily driver phone, not a phone a flash junkie can have fun with. People making threats saying "Oh im switching out for this _____ phone because of the amount of support and updates it gets" or "I regret getting this phone, support and updates are horrible" Um ok? Cool man as if that'll make a change anywhere, my thing is this, why cant people enjoy the phone as it stands out of the box?
    Face unlock update? Dont care about it as much, if I receive it cool.

Not trying to offend everyone here, only those that seem to be impatient and think that we should be getting the latest updates in such quick time frame. Yeah yeah sure you paid premium prices and you expect the world? Not every company is the same, should have done your research if youre really after custom ROM development
    Will be my last too, but more likely due to their update priorities. We pay flagship prices but all promises made at the keynote forgotten, sad.
    Well... Wrong... I owned the following devices : LG G2, LG G3, LG G4, HTC 10, Galaxy S7, Oneplus 3T, Galaxy S8 and now Mate 10 Pro. I can say that exept the camera this is by far the best phone yet. LG and Samsung are far behind with updates, HTC just simply sucks, OnePlus sucks on support and accesories (in East Europe at least). Battery life on this phone is just amazing, screen quality ok, call quality ok, build quality ok, updates better than Samsung or LG. In my opinion all phones are crap and all have bugs or problems.
    I have the non-pro Mate 10. It may very well be my last Huawei phone...but I will say this....it is, by far, the best phone available that ticks all the boxes for me right now.
    sure...but what would be the alternative...in case nobody is doing it better, you can stay with Huawei and enjoy the great phones....

This is likely my first and last Huawei phone unless they change the way updates are delivered. Maybe Googles Android P Mandate will make Huawei change the way they deliver updates requiring monthly security updates.
    As a daily driver it is a great phone. The support is the only thing keeping it down. Face Unlock took way too long to come out for a flagship phone. Lesser phones getting Higher Android versions are also concerning.
    Nokia is showing their care very much about support on their phones. And they are on the top of my list for my next phone.

Hmm my Mate 9 got updated to Oreo long (months) before the S7 , S8 and LG G6

I kept my mate 9 when I got my mate 10... And both are on the April security updates. Both supposedly support treble
    I also have a xiaomi mi mix 2 on the April update

So on the second day in June..... What non Google pixel phone are you going to switch to so that you can get more timely updates?
    Let me know so that I can switch as well

---------- Post added at 02:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 AM ----------

I agree 100%, everyone has ups and downs, however Mate 10 definitely made an impact as my daily driver, I used Sony, Samsung, and iPhone in the past and got frustrated with limitation in daily use --- battery and usability.

You two are against the grain of this board
    I've even seen a poster saying that his S5 took far better pictures than the mate 10

I've been on xda since I first flashed my Samsung omnia in 2008... And this mate 10 board is truly something different to me

I'm happy with my Mate 10 (non pro)... The ai stabilization night shot is already on FF for the Chinese mate 10... So hopefully we get it in a month or two

Btw
    I have a C605 mate 10
    And a C636 mate 9
    Never had any issues getting updates
    And now it seems that you get access the update through the stock updater as soon as it's approved

My only real complaints are that:
    Even at beauty = 0.. there's still something going on... However it's not a deal breaker

I wish all brands used the OnePlus method of delivering updates... So that a free VPN would be all you need to trigger the update

If Huawei won't realise the official blobs.. then I can do without the bootloader unlock for now
    Devs are mostly on snapdragon devices
    I actually bought the mi mix 2 so that I could install custom ROMs (cheapest snapdragon 835 I could find).... But the phone is sooooo smooth... That I just installed Nova launcher and I have been using it like that
    Smoothest Android device that I've ever used

Edit:
    Added screenshot of 5.31.18 Chinese mate 10 changeling from FF