Updated my S7 to official Oreo and my battery drains really quickly

Search This thread

Kenny64

Nov 4, 2008
I just updated my S7 to official samsung Oreo and my battery is going crazy. I just unplugged my charging cable after the light indicated fully charged battery, and like 4 minutes later it's already at 97%. It just drains faster than i've ever seen. What can the cause be?

I have tried clearing the cache and also unticked the run stuff in background for the android system. Android is running at 1% battery drain so i wouldn't think that's much of an issue, but i dunno.

Reactions: Shardog

destz0r

Feb 7, 2013
Brugge
did u try factory reset after installing oreo? i did that and my battery usage is very good

OrenGazala

Jan 4, 2013
I had the same problem and did factory reset and now it a little bit better.
Hope Samsung will just push an update to fix that issue.

edofot

May 10, 2015
Zagreb
OnePlus 8
My guess is the phone needs to "adapt" to the new software. Try checking your battery stats a few days after an update, ideally a week, then you'll get more consistent and realistic results. Post them here, I'm curious in the battery life increase/decrease vs. Nougat.

Shardog

Sep 13, 2011
NYC
I have the same issue after updating my S7 to Oreo. This really sucks. Can hardly keep the phone charged. I don't know why they roll out updates with bugs.

Whats the easiest way of factory resetting without spending half a day getting the phone back to the way it was before the factory reset?

waingro808

Apr 23, 2013
I have the same issue after updating my S7 to Oreo. This really sucks. Can hardly keep the phone charged. I don't know why they roll out updates with bugs.

Whats the easiest way of factory resetting without spending half a day getting the phone back to the way it was before the factory reset?

Use Samsung Smart Switch app to backup to SD card. Then restore.

Reactions: Shardog

Vylet22

Jun 21, 2018
Harvey
Factory reset then restore?

I'm scared that might just restore the problems that came with the factory reset?

Vylet22

Jun 21, 2018
Harvey
Best way to backup?

Well I've never done a factory reset before so I'm still scared. I have all my contacts and photos backed up with Google (have that Photos app & a gmail). I also have Smart Things and Smart Switch and I've seen stuff mentioned abt those being useful when doing a factory reset but I don't know exactly how to go abt it. Maybe I should do that wipe thing 1st?

Jonny993

Well I've never done a factory reset before so I'm still scared. I have all my contacts and photos backed up with Google (have that Photos app & a gmail). I also have Smart Things and Smart Switch and I've seen stuff mentioned abt those being useful when doing a factory reset but I don't know exactly how to go abt it. Maybe I should do that wipe thing 1st?

best way is from stock recovery mode, wipe cache and then factory reset, both action from there.

Reactions: Vylet22

Vylet22

Jun 21, 2018
Harvey
?

best way is from stock recovery mode, wipe cache and then factory reset, both action from there.

Thank you for the reply and I'm sure most ppl on here understand exactly what you said but since I've never done any of those things, I have no clue how to do them, lol. I don't want to factory reset if I don't know all my stuff is backed up. Idk how I would know. All I do know is my pics and contacts would be backed up from my Google account. I will google a video and maybe they'll have something S7 specific so I don't screw it up, lol.

Side note/question- if I went into every single app and cleared the cache from Settings, did I wipe the cache but just the long way?

Jonny993

Thank you for the reply and I'm sure most ppl on here understand exactly what you said but since I've never done any of those things, I have no clue how to do them, lol. I don't want to factory reset if I don't know all my stuff is backed up. Idk how I would know. All I do know is my pics and contacts would be backed up from my Google account. I will google a video and maybe they'll have something S7 specific so I don't screw it up, lol.

I suggest you to use samsung cloud to backup application data such as launcher and contacts, sms etc.. (there is option for this if you search for backup option in your device) and to backup on SD card the rest as for example images, music etc..

So last thing you have to do is factory reset your phone.
There is the option for this also from settings.

Side note/question- if I went into every single app and cleared the cache from Settings, did I wipe the cache but just the long way?

not that sure but I think it's slightly different

Reactions: Vylet22

Vylet22

Jun 21, 2018
Harvey
Keep ya posted!

I suggest you to use samsung cloud to backup application data such as launcher and contacts, sms etc.. (there is option for this if you search for backup option in your device) and to backup on SD card the rest as for example images, music etc..

Thanks so much! Will keep ya posted.

LightningShark

Jan 30, 2010
I'm another user who experienced ridiculous battery drain after updating to the Samsung stock Oreo. After the update (without a factory reset) I was experiencing very high drain - the battery usage was reporting Cell Standby as the cause (not sure this was accurate). I installed a slightly later ROM FXXU2ERF4, which seems to have improved the drain. Unfortunately I'm experiencing call quality issues with the 'modem' package in all Oreo versions I've tried. I can't seem to find a version where the call quality is OK - so I'm a bit stuck for now. Hopefully improved in the next version

Edit: unfortunately in my case, a factory reset (on the previous ROM) did not fix the battery drain issue, only the newer Oreo firmware. . sorry to say

joiN85

May 3, 2011
Italy
I'm another user who experienced ridiculous battery drain after updating to the Samsung stock Oreo. After the update (without a factory reset) I was experiencing very high drain - the battery usage was reporting Cell Standby as the cause (not sure this was accurate). I installed a slightly later ROM FXXU2ERF4, which seems to have improved the drain. Unfortunately I'm experiencing call quality issues with the 'modem' package in all Oreo versions I've tried. I can't seem to find a version where the call quality is OK - so I'm a bit stuck for now. Hopefully improved in the next version

Edit: unfortunately in my case, a factory reset (on the previous ROM) did not fix the battery drain issue, only the newer Oreo firmware. . sorry to say

Hi, I use modem from nougat... this fix call quality and I haven't battery drain!

Attachments

• 20180706_145805.jpg
    20180706_145805.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 193

joiN85

May 3, 2011
Italy
Is this confirmed? can you send screenshots of battery usage?

You can try... with odin
Modem from 7.0 g930fxxs2drdi (g930fxxu2erd6)
ap and bl g930fxxu2erem
Your csc 8.0 (for me is itv)
Excellent call quality and no battery drain.
All work... samsung pay etc... I don't have root
Tomorrow screenshot of battery usage

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just updated my S7 to official samsung Oreo and my battery is going crazy. I just unplugged my charging cable after the light indicated fully charged battery, and like 4 minutes later it's already at 97%. It just drains faster than i've ever seen. What can the cause be?

I have tried clearing the cache and also unticked the run stuff in background for the android system. Android is running at 1% battery drain so i wouldn't think that's much of an issue, but i dunno.

Use Samsung Smart Switch app to backup to SD card. Then restore.
    I'm scared that might just restore the problems that came with the factory reset?

No. It just restores your installed apps, app data, contacts, SMS, phone numbers. Etc. Backing up & factory resetting is always recommended when having issues with a new version of Android.