Overall speed

Search This thread

diehard2013

Feb 15, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 / S7 Plus
iPad Pro 2017 might not be that much faster as s3 tab, the difference could be that those games are better optimize for iOS. On any event, the conversation started regarding faster than s3 tab ANDROID device, not over all. But thank you for your input.

I use both on a daily basis and the ipad pro Is way more responsive and smooth.
The Tab S3 always behaved laggish since day one. Note: it's my second S3. The first one was also the same, but it has a 64GB card with apps installed.

Again, it feels like the tab S3 is running on a mechanical hard disk @5400 rpm.

I suspect Nougat bloatware is the culprit, thus my hopes no Oreo.

aspexil

Jan 2, 2011
Indianapolis
Well, I'll probably be the lone voice here never having used an iPad. But I love the Tab S3. It has been responsive enough for me. I can stream from my AirTV box with zero issues. The S Pen and handwriting is not only spot on but responsive. My wife has the Tab A and that works pretty well too even though it is older than the Tab S3 but she is happy with it. I transfer PDFs of my notes to my laptop in seconds. I don't think, right now, there is a better Android tablet out there but then I don't play around with other ones anymore. Before these Tabs we had Kindle and other Android tablets that were okay but nowhere near as good as the Tab line.

Sam Sung

I'm late to this party, but am considering the S3. I've had the S2 for over a year now and am happy with its performance, but it's wifi only and I'm needing one for the field.
To those who consider the S3 slow: Was your experience on a rooted S3? I rooted my S2 as soon as I got up to speed on which root to use, then immediately uninstalled the Samsung bloatware and any apps I didn't need. No lag, no performance issues at all. Very happy.
On that note, any suggestions for a root for the S3? I'm about to start my research. Any suggestions will give me direction.

I will be checking into the lag issue.

Last edited:

sliu821

Apr 22, 2018
I'm surprised no one brought up YouTube playback issue?
My YouTube playback feels like a slide show
My 4 year old iPad air does better, nexus 5 does better, not to mention all the android phones I've had since.

Sam Sung

I'm surprised no one brought up YouTube playback issue?
My YouTube playback feels like a slide show
My 4 year old iPad air does better, nexus 5 does better, not to mention all the android phones I've had since.

No you tube issues her. In fact, my Tab S3 performs like a champ (in spite of the fact that, being a verizon, there's no root available for it). No lag at all, beautiful display, smooth as butter. I'm very happy with it, except, of course, the lack of root issue.

I did disable several bloat apps.

King Phoenix

Mar 3, 2012
I got the tab s2 and the tab s3. The s2 is definitely faster! I hoped it'll cause when i update to oreo but it's still lagging.
I tried antutu and everythings ok except the s2 has an average cpu idle at 10% and the s3 has 23%.
Can someone confirm my results?

gonzo98x

Apr 27, 2011
The S3 is sluggish when it comes to gaming.

It uses the same chip as the Axon 7 which I have yet it's called the APQ8096 instead of the more common MSM8996.
The Axon 7 with its higher resolution screen can ply games at a higher framerate than the S3.

I don't know if it's Samsung bloat or something else. Who knows? Disappointing.

Lizzo

Okay, I installed the Chinese latest Oreo room via Odin, and honestly I dunno why I've never thought of that before.. 90% of all Samsung bloat can be actually uninstalled, and not just disabled and as a bonus there are NO Google apps on it. That's a good thing because you can manually install ONLY the Google apps you want and not have to deal with space taken up by apps you don't want or need. I just side loaded the playstore, and play services using apkmirror website and I was good to go. It's the closest to a stock experience with Samsung skin as you can get without having to root.

iteam

Jul 21, 2008
BOSTON
Okay, I installed the Chinese latest Oreo room via Odin, and honestly I dunno why I've never thought of that before.. 90% of all Samsung bloat can be actually uninstalled, and not just disabled and as a bonus there are NO Google apps on it. That's a good thing because you can manually install ONLY the Google apps you want and not have to deal with space taken up by apps you don't want or need. I just side loaded the playstore, and play services using apkmirror website and I was good to go. It's the closest to a stock experience with Samsung skin as you can get without having to root.

Good idea! Did it get rid of the laggy scrolling and laggy overall feeling I'm experiencing which my tab s3 did not have!?

Lizzo

Good idea! Did it get rid of the laggy scrolling and laggy overall feeling I'm experiencing which my tab s3 did not have!?
Tbh, it did and it's now very smooth, and very fast, but there's still the issue with the 820 chipset that the tab s3 cannot fix no matter now light you make the software. But I have everything I need it to do and it flies. Gaming is now locked at 60fps in the game I play (arena of valor), I can type without keyboard delay, I can use the latest version of Lightroom and conduct edits to very large files and not see any drawbacks or delays, and I have more free ram overall so apps that require it doesn't close on me when I switch to an app in the background. Oh, and the Chinese version has a built in option to disable what apps you don't want to start when you turn on the device, controlled by device manager.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180728-141114_Settings-1536x1152.jpg
    Screenshot_20180728-141114_Settings-1536x1152.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 296
Reactions: iteam

iteam

Jul 21, 2008
BOSTON
Tbh, it did and it's now very smooth, and very fast, but there's still the issue with the 820 chipset that the tab s3 cannot fix no matter now light you make the software. But I have everything I need it to do and it flies. Gaming is now locked at 60fps in the game I play (arena of valor), I can type without keyboard delay, I can use the latest version of Lightroom and conduct edits to very large files and not see any drawbacks or delays, and I have more free ram overall so apps that require it doesn't close on me when I switch to an app in the background. Oh, and the Chinese version has a built in option to disable what apps you don't want to start when you turn on the device, controlled by device manager.

Wow, i may give it a go. Samfirmware is down on the free download. When you say "I have everything I need to do it" are you saying the Chinese rom version gives you that, or I need something else? As I type this my new tab is lagging SO badly!

Lizzo

Wow, i may give it a go. Samfirmware is down on the free download. When you say "I have everything I need to do it" are you saying the Chinese rom version gives you that, or I need something else? As I type this my new tab is lagging SO badly!

The Chinese rom has basically nothing lol so everything I have is what I install myself and thus I don't have to worry about it running tasks and apps that I don't want or use. The only thing that would actually make me sell it is if the Tab s4 is within budget as I'll only want it for the 835 processor. And I'm hoping they up the ram to 6gb as that would definitely blow anything out the water, and would make it sell like crazy, and I'll buy it if it's out of budget lol. I'm gonna install the Chinese version on my note 8 right now, as I see the performance boost I get from this.

Reactions: iteam

iteam

Jul 21, 2008
BOSTON
The Chinese rom has basically nothing lol so everything I have is what I install myself and thus I don't have to worry about it running tasks and apps that I don't want or use. The only thing that would actually make me sell it is if the Tab s4 is within budget as I'll only want it for the 835 processor. And I'm hoping they up the ram to 6gb as that would definitely blow anything out the water, and would make it sell like crazy, and I'll buy it if it's out of budget lol. I'm gonna install the Chinese version on my note 8 right now, as I see the performance boost I get from this.
Thanks man! I'm downloading it now!

iteam

Jul 21, 2008
BOSTON

Do you have a free link or can you host the Chinese firmware once for me? I can't find a free link and the one I found keeps failing after 13 hours! Grrrrr

iteam

Jul 21, 2008
BOSTON
I actually tried the Chinese 8.0 and it 2.1 GB vs. 2.6 GB in size with no Gapps. It did much better bench marks and performance. However I had a few issues that were bugging me like Chinese stuff popping up here and there and a few apps I used on my cellular south 8.0 would not work or play nice with the ROM. So I decided to do a fresh Odin of the cellular south 8.0. To my great surprise the tablet restored all my settings from the cloud and I got the higher benchmarks as with the Chinese rom! Lag is almost non existent! I should have done a system reset after I had setup my brand new S3 and updated it to Oreo as it shipped with 7.0.... So guys I fully recommend doing a FULL RESET on 8.0, made a HUGE difference even with all my same settings and bloatware not disabled! PEACE @Lizzo

Last edited:

smash240

Jan 11, 2013
www.youtube.com
In terms of speed it was lagging when I first got it. After I killed off the crapware its fast as can be. Apps that run in the background make or break android devices.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Honestly, I'm a little disappointed by the opinions in here. I feel like we should all be educated enough here to realize that no Android device will ever have software that is more optimized than iOS. iOS is an established development environment that has had no major changes throughout it's lifetime. What changes it has had have been kept under tight control with Apple's signature fascist fanaticism. The reality is that difference in speed between Apple and Android is completely implicit in the difference of their business models. You don't get reliable, fast speed with open source technology unless someone is putting the effort into optimizing it. It's the exact same problem as the Windows/Linux dichotomy. Saying WHATEVER Apple device is better than the S3 is simply unproductive to this conversation.

So I work as an MDM engineer for a company that uses primarily Samsung Galaxy Tab S3s. We have a fleet over 500 S3 devices compared to the fleet of 3000 S2 devices that were already in service. So I feel like my company has been the tried proving ground for these devices, by our own Samsung rep's admission. For full disclosure, we also field 10 Apple iPads. Each tablet is being used for hours at a time for days at a time. The majority of them are kept and being used to their limit year-round, to the point that I'm an expert at Samsung's huge flaw in battery technology. (It's the USB adapter driver, it's terrible at managing power because Samsung has software safeguards to prevent the usage of third party chargers.)

As for the S3, there really is no contender in the field. As bad as the chipset is, what kills it is all of Samsung's terrible software. They have Samsung S Pen software constantly running in the background, among other useless gimmicks. Kill the bloatware and you basically have the best Android device on the market I have one for development work and another for hardcore gaming. I have no problem on Lineage, Fortnite, or PUBG. My graphics and response time must be the top of the class, because I am especially successful on the BR games; where inferior devices are likely failing their users. I have also gifted another to a graphic artist friend with the stock S pen and converted it into a thin client art studio, which allowed him to be a full-time digital nomad. It's like any other machine running Linux, it works if you put the time into it.

The reality is that the only other tablets that outperform the S3, are not Android devices. If you want something more powerful and reliable, get an iPad. If you want something you have full control over that will work to your exact specification: Get a Microsoft Surface and convert it to Linux. Those are basically your options.
    Would you say that the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 is "fast" in day-to-day use? A higher rating indicates that you think the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 exhibits fantastic performance. Like, is it as fast as your tears when you watch The Titanic?

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
    Imo performance is a bit low compare to the price

Sent from my SM-G955F using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    I feel bummed just because Samsung has decided to use Snapdragon 820 instead of Snapdragon 835. I was at least expecting Sanpdragon 821 (MSM8996 Pro-AC).
    This is the worst performing Android device i owned in years. It's abysmall