bricked my Mi 8

Search This thread
Jul 25, 2016
Hey guys I've run into an issuei bought a Mi 8 off swappa two weeks ago I've been using it and it's been absolutely amazing I love it but a few days ago global miui 9 came out and they phone came bootloader unlocked so I figured I'd flash the firmware and then lock the bootloader I flashed the firmware through Miuitool it worked fine I set it up and then went to lock the bootloader using the same tool I did it and then it started to boot but detected no os anymore so it was bootlooping. I can only access the recovery and fastboot mode I tried wiping didn't work I tried flash the firmware using miflash tool and manually doing the commands also tried getting into edl mode but says it's locked. I tried calling support but they told me they didn't do phone repairs and to call the manufacturer of which I bought it from (swappa) I'm kinda losing hope I'm not sure what to do I've tried so much maybe I'm missing something. If anyone has any suggestions I would love that thanks and here's what my recovery says if that helps

Attachments

• IMG_20180729_193337.jpg
    IMG_20180729_193337.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 2,478
Reactions: arunkareer

ZhenMing

Jul 25, 2016
thanks for the suggestions guys I was thinking before getting super technical opening up my phone and modding a cable to let you guys know of an update. Last night I stayed up a while i found adb flash tool for recovery mode to flash back to official software (http://www.xiaomitool.com/adb) I downloaded both global and both china otas of stable and beta. First i flashed global successfully but forgot that going from china to global requires unlock boot loader to boot up so it did not boot next I tried china stable but the file is an older version and did not flash since it was "downgrading" and last I tried china beta which was newer in theory but did not flash since it was not stable. So i am going to wait for a new china stable rom to come out whenever it does because in theory it will flash correctly and completely fix the phone because its china miui thats newer than the one global version now i can only wonder if it can flash because i will be going from global to china but again I will let you guys know when i attempt it, I understand I will be waiting a while for a stable version those dont come often but in the meantime i can focus on other things and thankfully i have multiple back up phones. thanks guys

ZhenMing

I tried china stable but the file is an older version and did not flash since it was "downgrading"

Theoretically and my previous experience with Nexus phone, older version of official ROM should be fine as it should get OTA to latest version. So, I think it is worth a try.

At the same time, I'm still patiently waiting for my 1st Mi 8 to arrive at door step.

Jul 25, 2016
Theoretically and my previous experience with Nexus phone, older version of official ROM should be fine as it should get OTA to latest version. So, I think it is worth a try.

At the same time, I'm still patiently waiting for my 1st Mi 8 to arrive at door step.

I agree with you and I used to own a nexus too so I understand what your saying but I tried flashing miui 9 china stable and the error said it was an older version and it was "illegal to downgrade" which is weird so I'll just wait for an updated version which might take a while

bassbounce

Feb 14, 2011
Betuwe
Never lock a boatloader with aftermarket global on a China Xiaomi.
I think because of the flashing the bootloader is locked again, maybe try to unlock it with miui unlock.

Maby Xiaomi enable the anti roll back also for the Mi 8 after they did it to the Xiaomi redmi note 5 whyred? Many people have ended up with bricked phones.

Edit

Same problem solution is unlock boatloader
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/mi-8-safetynet-android-pay-and-related-issues.45286/

Last edited:

usman_hafeez

Sep 4, 2009
I faced the same problem with my Mi 8 when I locked the bootloader after installing Global ROM. Simply put your phone in Fastboot, and again Unlock the Bootloader using Xiaomi official Unlock tool. Once bootloader was unlocked, phone booted normally with Global ROM.

nairda11

Aug 1, 2018
Hello, I have blocked bootloader and now I am with the bootloader loop.

I've tried to unlock again from console and from the Xiaomi tool, but it has not been possible. The tool says that the device is not associated. Any solution to this?

I have also tried from Recovery (With MiFlash) to put the stable Chinese version, but having a higher version installed does not leave me.
If I re-flash the same version, it completes it but when restarting, the loop returns.

Any solution?

Mramos1985

Jul 30, 2018
Hi I have the same problem but now I have a new and BIG new problem...

When I try to unlock the bootloader with my account the software said me that my account is not bounded in this device... cry cry cry!!!
Somebody knows if it is normal and if I will fixed?

BR

Jul 25, 2016
The mi unlock tool problems are mainly because of either it's not verified with your account or because before it bricked you forgot to go to development settings and add your phone for unlock which I forgot to so whenever I try to unlock it again it says it isn't verified because I'm a moron and forgot to add my Mi8 to my account in case something like this happened, now I gotta wait for a stable newer miui 9 China version to flash from the adb software

adrii11

May 13, 2010
Any news on how to solve the brick?

The perfect solution would be to have access to an account with EDL permissions to re-unlock the bootloader.

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

arunkareer

Aug 19, 2012
The mi unlock tool problems are mainly because of either it's not verified with your account or because before it bricked you forgot to go to development settings and add your phone for unlock which I forgot to so whenever I try to unlock it again it says it isn't verified because I'm a moron and forgot to add my Mi8 to my account in case something like this happened, now I gotta wait for a stable newer miui 9 China version to flash from the adb software

When you have any update on this, please let me know I have the same issue and did same mistake.
Let me know if you were able to un-brick it.

Looking fwd to see an update from you.

j1505243

Jan 2, 2016
Masovia
Google Nexus 5
LG G2 Mini
This. Is. F****d. Up. Someone needs to say it. They do totally crazy things and we saw too many bricks coming from their unexplained tinkering with ARB and locking. Additionally, their each new flagship gets always one step closer to the prices of better competition. We are getting too screwed and we desperately need a new, reasonably priced and logical brand. Nokia? Wouldn't say so. Essential? US only and seems to close down. OnePlus? Getting costlier. Google? Got really costly. **** happened. Really, sorry for OT, but my empathy and sociological thinking just hurts me when I see this.

Reactions: StarwarsMissionary

Jeik

Jun 27, 2011
Dublin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Xiaomi 13
This. Is. F****d. Up. Someone needs to say it. They do totally crazy things and we saw too many bricks coming from their unexplained tinkering with ARB and locking. Additionally, their each new flagship gets always one step closer to the prices of better competition. We are getting too screwed and we desperately need a new, reasonably priced and logical brand. Nokia? Wouldn't say so. Essential? US only and seems to close down. OnePlus? Getting costlier. Google? Got really costly. **** happened. Really, sorry for OT, but my empathy and sociological thinking just hurts me when I see this.

Yeah, I thought I was the only one thinking like this.

Companies want as much money as possible. Oneplus is increasing prices not because the components cost more but because they waste money on ads and want more profit. And they pull it off because people will still buy their phones.
Honestly, the Mi 8 is a " flagship killer-killer",it provides almost the same stuff as the OP6 for less money but people either never heard of Xiaomi or are hesitant when it comes to buying their phones ( I don't understand why, though ) .
As for their phones dying, I only saw bricks from people who tried tinkering with deep level stuff without actually knowing what they were playing with.
They don't suddenly die/lose basic functions out of the blue like e.g. Moto phones and I don't know of a single device which beats them at this price along with what you get in a phone.

Chema_F

Jan 23, 2012
Zaragoza
I only saw bricks from people who tried tinkering with deep level stuff without actually knowing what they were playing with.

Just let me tell that you can do the **** even actually knowing what you are playing with. You just need to forget to change the "clean all and lock" option which comes selected by default. And believe me, it's not that difficult at 3 a.m. after some successful flashes.
I think it's not necessary to dive into the hurt, you know.

Cheers

Jeik

Jun 27, 2011
Dublin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Xiaomi 13
Just let me tell that you can do the **** even actually knowing what you are playing with. You just need to forget to change the "clean all and lock" option which comes selected by default. And believe me, it's not that difficult at 3 a.m. after some successful flashes.
I think it's not necessary to dive into the hurt, you know.

Cheers
There is a need for that. This is an expensive toy and you shouldn't be playing with it if you are not 100% that you can undo the thing you will do if it goes wrong ( you are free to do it but then at least try to find a solution yourself ) .
After seeing posts which are pretty much like " uwu I made a f*cking boo boo, a weal f*cky wucky, pweese help me guys ;((((( " ( which could've been avoided by following some logic or by actually investigating before flashing stuff ) , it's high time people who are thinking about unlocking the bootloader actually see what they might be getting into if they "touch wrong things in the wrong way".

Top Liked Posts