Photo quality

Search This thread

tripex2k

Apr 16, 2011
Villingen-Schwenningen
In open air it works out well most of the times but yeah, I understand. If there's one or a few bright light sources and the rest of the scene is darker, the camera will probably struggle finding the right balance. But, lowering the exposure takes a second and I find myself doing this a lot - yes, because the camera will bright the scene a lot :p

I took 2 pictures now. The first one, in auto mode, and in the second I lowered the exposure a bit

Not much of a difference, yeah, but you can see much more of the screen in the 2nd picture and took me a sec to do this. Not ideal, I guess, but I can understand it as it isnt an easy scenario for the camera to handle.

Why doesnt Samsung add a night mode like p20's? Most Night shots would be a lot better probably

You get the idea. Thats my mainproblem around things. I paid 950€ when the phone came out to get a camera that got hyped by Samsung as "The camera, new invented." and got something that gets outperformed by cameras from 2-3 years ago in automatic mode under several conditions easily.

Serious a hint that you can't trust this DxO mark anymore, its just a benchmark like anything else: paid and bought by the company with the most money. And not tested under real world scenarios and compared with other devices from other tests back. I can easily setup a table with test conditions and say this has to be this way, but serious, people look at pictures shot under real world scenarios, not syntetic test results.

Whatever, I like my S9+, but I have my LG G4 still with me, also my EOS 650D, my IXUS310 (For snapshots, serious, Samsung missed it to get me ditch my IXUS for that.) and maybe I grab a P20 Pro. Seems the better camera.

Reactions: martin80k

UsualSuspectReaL

Nov 5, 2010
Athens Greece
I fear to say, but the S9+ (I have one) sucks in quality a lot. I did a comparison shot of my keyboard from 20 centimetres away, its illuminated. In the dark, from my LG G4 and my S9+, both in automatic mode with Auto HDR. And to tell you the truth: The G4 does better pictures in this scenario. The letters are not bleeding out, not washing out and you can clearly read them when zoomed in. Look for yourself. Look at the Logokey for example, the S9 (top) is washed out and bleeding the colors, while the G4 is more crisp and sharp.

keyboard_s9.jpg
keyboard_g4.jpg

I heared a lot of people have this problem with the Exynos version of the phone. It seems the Snapdragon does not do such problems.

I have exynos version S9 (Not the PLUS) and i think it's ok.
I am blind or something? (i am not trolling :p )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155432003@N08/43612981862/in/dateposted-friend/

I did clean both lenses beforehand, with a micro for lenses, since I have a DSLR and several lenses, well.

Its true, the automatic outdoor pictures are brighter on the S9+ and keep some more details, but in this usecase and in some others, for example also in good light conditions the LG G4 seems to outperform the S9+ in some situations.

Also why Pro Mode? Even there the G4 can beat the S9+ in a few conditions. And we talk about general use of the phone, when I do a snapshot and a quick picture of something, no setup I have to do for a few seconds or minutes to find the perfect spot/settings for. The phone camera is used for automatic modes in 98% of the usage cases and therefore we test them for that or not?

If I need to do a setup firsthand everytime I want to do a snapshot, its no snapshot anymore and I can grab my DSLR and take it with me, since I always have a big backpack with me.
Yes I understand you, but, I don't know, I have the galaxy S9 exynos and the quality is very good in all situations, and I didn't notice over exposed photos. ? I think the low f1.5 aperture is the main reason for this high exposure, because it's trying to bright the photo as much as possible to capture a good photo.

Galaxo60

May 25, 2012
You get the idea. Thats my mainproblem around things. I paid 950€ when the phone came out to get a camera that got hyped by Samsung as "The camera, new invented." and got something that gets outperformed by cameras from 2-3 years ago in automatic mode under several conditions easily.

Serious a hint that you can't trust this DxO mark anymore, its just a benchmark like anything else: paid and bought by the company with the most money. And not tested under real world scenarios and compared with other devices from other tests back. I can easily setup a table with test conditions and say this has to be this way, but serious, people look at pictures shot under real world scenarios, not syntetic test results.

Whatever, I like my S9+, but I have my LG G4 still with me, also my EOS 650D, my IXUS310 (For snapshots, serious, Samsung missed it to get me ditch my IXUS for that.) and maybe I grab a P20 Pro. Seems the better camera.

I had both also the P20 Pro during 2 weeks at the same time I was with my S9+. I did an extensive comparison and tests between the 2 of them, and I can tell that P20 Pro will be slightly better in low light conditions, where the S9+ will be slightly better in daylight. I kept the S9+ because of the screen, the sound and performance, but some people can find appealing the P20 Pro for the camera and the battery.

I understand somehow your frustration, but Automatic mode will always change to the bigger aperture in low light conditions, so you will have these kind of artifacting time to time.

;)

Reactions: Galaxo60

liggerz87

May 11, 2013
I think it take good pics in low light

Attachments

• 20181020_201717.jpg
    20181020_201717.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 888
  • 20181018_200742.jpg
    20181018_200742.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 868

Najner

Oct 22, 2017
Hi guys. I have question to you since I'm considering getting S9+. I owned pixel 2 for a few months but it was boring, looking ugly and it had average screen. So I switched to P20 Pro - much better battery, better screen, dark theme all over system - I'm loving it. My only complaint is about taking pictures of moving objects - they always get blurry. I know that S9+ takes awesome images of still objects (P20 does it too) but what about moving objects? Cats, dogs, people? Can you please share your thoughts or samples?

AmazingTrans

Oct 17, 2012
So far, any moving objects are pretty blurry for me in auto mode.
I am going to try to use the pixel camera port, not sure if it helps or does pixel 2 camera hardware has faster response time than the samsung camera hardware?

Najner

Oct 22, 2017
Thanks mate. Well I remember trying gCam port for my old V20 and results were awesome in good light condition but in low light it was even more blurry than stock. Im not sure what's the situation with Galaxy port, maybe it will be better.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A few shots from walkabout today, all on auto

38935407840_359d686cb9_c.jpg

39850817505_fba313b9a2_c.jpg

26874530818_828bddb0da_c.jpg

x2
    38935420850_2360f931f7_c.jpg

38935429240_46b15ba7ce_c.jpg

Indoors
    40703122882_1469340007_c.jpg

26874546958_94df2245cd_c.jpg

26874524268_b694f37df4_c.jpg
    One pic taken on a rainy night
    For those who are interested...I took some shots to see how the s9+ live focus stacks up against my ILC camera

Galaxy:

galaxy s9 plus by Carlo Alcala, on Flickr

Sony a7rIII with cheap-o 50mm lens:

a7rIII FE 50 by Carlo Alcala, on Flickr

a7rIII with fast 85mm prime:

a7rIII 85gm by Carlo Alcala, on Flickr

iPhone X (yuck)

iphone x by Carlo Alcala, on Flickr
    Playing with live focus. Not perfect, but pretty cool

26vaeKa

40790000375_2b0f13c7d5_o by C A, on Flickr
    It seems that in dark scenes it loses lots of details. Also the absence of a dedicated NIGHT mode is a negative thing for me. Indeed, you can use the Manual mode, but it takes some time tweaking it.

To answer your question:
    - i am using an iPhone XR, that has better camera than the S9+
    - i used a p20 pro, it had a way better camera than the s9+
    - i used a pocophone f1, and the night mode with modded gcam was way better than the stock s9+

For the price, I am not satisfied. But this is only my personal opinion.

It's true that it tends to soften images in low light situations, but with the advantage of less noise, which I prefer. Other cameras give you more detail, but with more noise, like Pixel phones. It's a matter of preference in this case.

About the night mode, it seems it will come in a future update and they are still working on it, which clearly be a winner with the Samsung hardware.

I had the S9+ for a year now, and also other devices like the P20 Pro and Pixel 3 XL, and still the S9+ is the more rounded camera and the one I can trust for both photo and video.

I did really deep analysis and comparisons of these devices, and all of them have good and bad things, but is a matter of preference in the end. I have took more than 1000 photos for comparing the devices over a month, so I know how they compare and behave in different situations. For example, I don't like at all the Pixel 3 XL results, which gives oversharpened and oversaturated images with a lot of contrast, thus you lose a lot of detail in the shadows; the P20 Pro is fantastic at nighttime, but it fails in daytime with the dynamic range and a little bit with white balance.

I also did a comparison of the Pixel 3 XL and the S9+ with gCam, and results were better in the S9+ as long as you know how to tweak the settings in it, but I stopped using it because it has a big problem of definition compared to stock.

I have had other devices as well, but there's no point in comparing them because they are not worthy rivals, so no need to do a big comparison.

Overall I'm happy with this S9+, being my first Samsung device, and most probably I will get the S10+ in the incoming days because Samsung is currently making the best phones, because even when they are not the best in each category, they offer a well rounded package that is really hard to match.

;)