[GUIDE][ROOT][Moto G6 Play][JETER] TWRP, Root, and Magisk installation OLD guide

Search This thread

Beefvvl

Sep 11, 2010
San Diego
I'm having the same exact issue. I bought mine on amazon. It came with firmware OPP27.91-81. I did all the steps and would get bootloops. I tried installing OPP27.91.87 and then tried rooting and still would get the bootloops. I tried reverting to the OPP27.61-14-4 and would get this:

Code:
C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
target reported max download size of 535822336 bytes
sending 'partition' (45 KB)...
OKAY [  0.004s]
writing 'partition'...
(bootloader) Validating 'gpt.default.xml'
(bootloader) Security version downgrade
(bootloader) Image primary_gpt failed validation
(bootloader) Preflash validation failed
(bootloader) Cancelling 'gpt.default.xml'
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.116s

If you can help me figure out how to revert to OPP27.61-14-4 or get root for the latest OPP27.91.87 on the XT-1922-5 somehow.

Thanks for all you do.

I would like the ROM full Motorola Moto G6 Play ROM (XT-1922-5) version OPP27.91-87 (or a way to recover the device). After updating to this version, when doing root, the device has looped. I tried to go back to version OPP27.61-14-4, but RSD Lite fails to flash the gpt.bin file.

I was able to download and flash the complete ROM for the XT1922-5, version OPP27.91-87, but when doing the procedures in this topic (which worked well in the OPP27.61-14-4 version), the device now looped in the "Hello Moto" animation.
I tried to flash the previous ROM (OPP27.61-14-4), but a RSD Lite crash occurs in the gpt.bin file.
I am currently in OPP27.91-87, but no root.:crying:

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

c:\adb>adb reboot bootloader

c:\adb>fastboot boot moto-g6-play-jeter-patched-twrp.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.544s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.076s]
finished. total time: 0.620s

(TWRP Decrypt Data = Cancel)

c:\adb>adb shell
[6ndd if=/dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot of=/external_sd/boot.img
~dd if=/dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot of=/external_sd/boo
# t.img[6ndd if=/dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot of=/external_sd/
boot.img
/sbin/sh: [6ndd: not found
~ # dd if=/dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot of=/external_sd/boo
32768+0 records in
32768+0 records out
16777216 bytes (16.0MB) copied, 0.297303 seconds, 53.8MB/s
~ # ^C
c:\adb>adb reboot bootloader

c:\adb> fastboot flash boot XT1922-5_no_dm-verity_boot.img
sending 'boot' (16384 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.568s]
writing 'boot'...
(bootloader) Image not signed or corrupt
OKAY [ 0.359s]
finished. total time: 0.927s

c:\adb>fastboot flash recovery moto-g6-play-jeter-patched-twrp.img
sending 'recovery' (16228 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.543s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) Image not signed or corrupt
OKAY [ 0.266s]
finished. total time: 0.809s

(TWRP does not start that way, so I use fastboot boot)

c:\adb>fastboot boot moto-g6-play-jeter-patched-twrp.img
OKAY [ 0.546s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.076s]
finished. total time: 0.622s

(TWRP Decrypt Data = Cancel)

c:\adb>adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor

c:\adb>adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
28 KB/s (1696 bytes in 0.058s)

(TWRP = "Wipe">"Swype to Factory Reset" = OK)

c:\adb>adb push Magisk-v16.4.zip /tmp
4111 KB/s (4500886 bytes in 1.068s)

(TWRP = "Install">"Magisk-v16.4.zip" = OK)

(Reboot System...)

(Screen "N/A"...)

(Animation "Hello Moto" in loop...)

Last edited:

jacob019

Oct 18, 2014
Just spent two hours reverting to stock so I could take the damn update on my Boost Moto G6 Play (XT1922-7). I extracted the updated stock partitions to save some other people the trouble: http://jacobstoner.com/stock-OCP27.91-23-3.zip (give it an hour or two from the time of this post to finish uploading)
Here we have boot, system, modem, recovery, and vendor. It should be enough to update boot and system, do it in the bootloader with a current version of fastboot:
fastboot flash boot boot
fastboot flash system system
then boot into twrp and flash the latest Magisk beta (Magisk-v16.7.zip)
That's all you need to do to update to the latest stock rom. Maybe someone who is more generous with their time will pack it into a flashable zip, but I think this is easy enough.

Last edited:

Beefvvl

Sep 11, 2010
San Diego
Just spent two hours reverting to stock so I could take the damn update on my Boost Moto G6 Play (XT1922-7). I extracted the updated stock partitions to save some other people the trouble: http://jacobstoner.com/stock-OCP27.91-23-3.zip (give it an hour or two from the time of this post to finish uploading)
Here we have boot, system, modem, recovery, and vendor. It should be enough to update boot and system, do it in the bootloader with a current version of fastboot:
fastboot flash boot boot
That's all you need to do to update to the latest stock rom. Maybe someone who is more generous with their time will pack it into a flashable zip, but I think this is easy enough.

Can you point me out how to extract it for mine? I have the XT-1922-5

ninjakira

Nov 6, 2016
batavia, ohio
fastboot flash boot boot
404 error

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180821-001551.png
    Screenshot_20180821-001551.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 129

ninjakira

Nov 6, 2016
batavia, ohio
Yeah didnt see that at first

---------- Post added at 05:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 AM ----------

was excited about updating lol Been reading on how to patch boot.img with no dm verity but no luck lol

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

so i hopefully i did this correct. i got the updated stock boot.img for the xt1922-7 variant and went into magisk and used the option ''patch boot image file'' and it said it patched the dm-verity to be no dm-verity so here it is if anyone wants to test it. I used magisk beta 16.7 https://drive.google.com/open?id=156z2yYW2VJKoEXXbSEckm6lppKtnBR11

Last edited:

Weeaboo15321

Jul 15, 2018
Could someone make a TWRP image that allows for the mounting of vendor in the "mount" tab? The adb command doesn't seem to work for me. I believe that the Moto g6 TWRP image can do it.

jacob019

Oct 18, 2014
well i tested out the updated patched boot.img i made and it worked :D i also i used this in twrp. https://xdaforums.com/android/software/universal-dm-verity-forceencrypt-t3817389 flash that first then magisk 16.7 and you should have root on the update for the boost mobile variant

You can do it that way, and that's fine. With that method you can avoid TWRP entirely, but you can also just flash stock system and boot and then flash the magisk zip file from within TWRP which I find to be a little easier. When you install the Magisk zip in TWRP it patches the boot image in place, very easy.

Can you point me out how to extract it for mine? I have the XT-1922-5
1. revert to stock
2. take the updates
3. fastboot boot twrp.img
4. adb pull partition images:
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/system
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/modem
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery
Boot and system are required at a minimum, but more are be required if you want to use these to revert to stock later for future updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beefvvl

Beefvvl

Sep 11, 2010
San Diego
1. revert to stock
2. take the updates
3. fastboot boot twrp.img
4. adb pull partition images:
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/system
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/modem
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery
Boot and system are required at a minimum, but more are be required if you want to use these to revert to stock later for future updates.

How do I get it to root after that? Sorry I feel like such a noob lol.

Hope this looks right!
Code:
C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot boot moto-g6-play-jeter-patched-twrp.img
OKAY [  0.549s]
booting...
OKAY [  0.077s]
finished. total time: 0.628s

C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot
adb server version (32) doesn't match this client (36); killing...
* daemon started successfully *
[   ?] /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot: 16777216/?

C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/system
[-901] /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/system: 2516582400/?

C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/modem
[   ?] /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/modem: 104857600/?

C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor
[   ?] /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor: 419430400/?

Last edited:

jacob019

Oct 18, 2014
Did you use the patched TWRP.img and just rename it or did you use a different one?
How do I get it to root after that? Sorry I feel like such a noob lol.

If you just want to update and root then you don't need to pull the partitions, unless you want a backup. Just revert to stock, apply the updates, boot into twrp with the patched TWRP.img and install Magisk-v16.7.zip.

The no-verity kernel is no longer necessary with the latest Magisk-v16.7, and it wouldn't work anyway as the update has a new kernel. If you want to disable encryption then update /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom and reformat data as well.

Basically, you can just follow the OP after updating, but skip the no-verity kernel and use Magisk 16.7.

Pro tip for free tether, append to /vendor/default.prop:
net.tethering.noprovisioning=true

Last edited:

Beefvvl

Sep 11, 2010
San Diego
If you just want to update and root then you don't need to pull the partitions, unless you want a backup. Just revert to stock, apply the updates, boot into twrp with the patched TWRP.img and install Magisk-v16.7.zip.

The no-verity kernel is no longer necessary with the latest Magisk-v16.7, and it wouldn't work anyway as the update has a new kernel. If you want to disable encryption then update /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom and reformat data as well.

Basically, you can just follow the OP after updating, but skip the no-verity kernel and use Magisk 16.7.

Pro tip for free tether, append to /vendor/default.prop:
net.tethering.noprovisioning=true

Thanks again!

So do I need to run this step also?

Code:
adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom

jacob019

Oct 18, 2014
So do I need to run this step also?
Code:

It may be required if you want a decrypted data partition. I did, because otherwise you can't backup data with TWRP.
adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
make sure you format the data partition
after that you can restore userdata or start fresh

ninjakira

Nov 6, 2016
batavia, ohio
Alright so after really checking stuff out since it's not 5 in the morning I can confidently say this. The zip file in the link I provided for the universal dm-verity and force encrypt disabler did not work. Once I set my fingerprint up and rebooted I had to enter my password to start android. using the patched fstab.qcom from quiksilver however does still work and the updated patched boot image I made works so just do everything in this guide and instead use the new patched boot image I made for the updated xt1922-7 instead of the onequiksilver provided. As of now this only works on the boost variant.

Last edited:

Pandarenz

Mar 31, 2017
Hi everyone, i´m trying to flash boot and i get this error using fastboot and mfastboot:
target max-sparse-size: 256MB
sending 'boot' (18992 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.505s]
writing 'boot'...
(bootloader) Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.518s

Someone can help me? plz

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
If I have followed the steps in the first post, what steps do I need to take to go back to stock in order to do a OTA update? Is uninstalling Magisk, flashing the stock boot and recovery enough? I have the XT-1922-5

The reason I ask is because I get an "error" when I tried this during the OTA update.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The guide below is depreceatred and should NOT be used.
    Please use the guide in this thread instead. - https://xdaforums.com/g6-play/how-to/guide-t3929928

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, fires, rigged elections,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarms failed and you could not call in.

Please
     * Ensure you have an advanced understanding of this device before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications or your own free will.
     */

This has been confirmed to work on:
    • XT1922-3 Model
    • XT1922-4 Model
    • XT1922-5 Brazilian Model
    • XT1922-7 Boost Mobile variant of this device with the code name JETER with Android 8.0.0 Build OCP27.91-23
    • XT1922-9 Model

Links to all boot images have been removed at the request of Motorola.
    If you have done an OTA for your Device these boot.img's may not work for your device. We will need a newer boot.img to patch.

Please make backups using TWRP. Right now there is no ROM from moto for these devices that I've found. So proceed with caution.

Just make sure to download the correct boot.img for your device.

If you have another model please follow the first few steps to grab the stock boot.img and post it here and I can patch it.

The steps listed in this process WILL wipe your userdata. If you have anything you need to save back it up first.

Prerequisites:

Step 1.) Download _ this TWRP image to the ADB/Fastboot folder on your computer.

Step 2.) Reboot to your bootloader. You can do this by turning on your device and holding power and both volume buttons at the same time.

Step 3.) Once the device reboots to the bootloader type the following from your computer with your phone connected via USB.

Code:
    fastboot boot moto-g6-play-jeter-patched-twrp.img

Step 4.) Once TWRP boots from your computer type (it may take a bit to boot because it is trying to decrypt your userdata, but it will fail and prompt for a password. Just click cancel):
    Code:
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot stockboot.img
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery stockrecovery.img
    This will backup your stock boot and recovery images if you to revert to stock later.

Step 5.) Now type:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Step 6.) Download either XT1922-9_no_dm-verity_boot.img or XT1922-7_no_dm-verity_boot.img or XT1922-5_no_dm-verity_boot.img or XT1922-4_no_dm-verity_boot.img or XT1922-3_no_dm-verity_boot.img patched dm-verity boot image depending on which device you have and download it into the ADB/Fastboot folder on your computer.

Step 7.) Run the following command from your computer to install the relevant boot image to your device.
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot XT1922-9_no_dm-verity_boot.img
    OR
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot XT1922-7_no_dm-verity_boot.img
    OR
    Code:
     fastboot flash boot XT1922-5_no_dm-verity_boot.img
    OR
    Code:
     fastboot flash boot XT1922-4_no_dm-verity_boot.img
    OR
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot XT1922-3_no_dm-verity_boot.img

Step 8.) Run the following command from your computer to install the TWRP image to your device.
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery moto-g6-play-jeter-patched-twrp.img

Step 9.) Use the volume keys on the device to select boot to recovery and TWRP will boot up again. When it prompts for a decryption password select cancel again.

Step 10.) From your computer type the following into your command prompt/terminal from your adb/fastboot folder:
    Code:
    adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor

Step 11.) Download this patched fstab.qcom boot image into the ADB/Fastboot folder on your PC.

Step 12.) Run the following command from command prompt/terminal on your computer:
    Code:

Step 13.) Next click the "Wipe" button in TWRP and slide "Swipe to Factory Reset" THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DATA ON YOUR PHONE. Ensure you have backup.

Step 14.) Download the Magisk zip file https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/ to your ADB/Fastboot folder.

Step 15.) Run the following command to push the boot image to your device
    Code:
    adb push Magisk-vXXX.zip /tmp
    This will push the Magisk-vXXX.zip to your /tmp folder

Step 16.) Flash Magisk-v16.4.zip from TWRP using the install option and navigate to the /tmp folder to select it and install it.

Step 17.) Reboot your device

Step 18.) It will say N/A in the top corner of your device for a few seconds. Then it will boot the the Motorola boot screen and you can setup your device as a new phone.

Step 19.) Verify Magisk Manager is installed and the root functionality works.

Step 20.) ???

Step 21.) Profit

Credits:

CodyF86 and his Moto E5 thread for clues as to what it would take to turn off DM-Verity
    fastboot flash boot boot
    Im trying to decide between g6 play and moto e4 plus does anyone think the g6 play will eventually get custom ROMs like e4 plus has??? Sorry if this isn't placed to ask this questions my apologies in advance just looking for opinions on which is the better phone.

I have both. The G6 play is better looking than E4 plus with 4000 vs 5000 mAH battery. I bought G6 play for 80 bucks in a whim and it is incredibly slow with Sprint/Boost running many background processes which you cannot uninstall using adb and they keep on sending out annoying notifications. Plus E4 Plus gestures on the fingerprint is absent in G6 play. G6 Play is a good looking phone but nothing else.
    Currently boost version radio is network locked and you can't unlock or flash Verizon rom on it. There are a bunch of people who are holding the 80 bucks version and patiently waiting for a custom rom that would be able to network unlock the phone. Join the queue or go unlocked.