Software Development [ROM] [CUSTOM] [PX5 "FYT" JOYING] gtx_fyt_px5_rom

Search This thread

looxonline

Jun 5, 2018
Johannesburg
I have tried a few time to mod the rom, each time it fails then reboot right before the android logo should appear (install status bar), it only flashes up very very quick an error that I think mentions signature..

As for post 5, I am on the latest firmware so they may have changed something since that post

I have not worked with this SoM much but to the best of my understanding the bootloader should not be alterable with an update. Once a bootloader is unlocked it should always be unlocked. The only way to change that would be with a manual write of a new image to the flash. That's why having a bootloader exploit or an unlocked bootloader is such a bonus. Did you change the sql6026update8 binary by any chance?

Otherwise message gtxaspec directly and I am sure that he will be able to assist.

rowdy15

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Getting a SOM

Hi All,

I have just purchased and installed this head unit in my VW Jetta MK5. The existing software is pretty good, except for a few things.

I like how it talks to the canbus.
- Radio stations show up on dash screen with channel number and frequency

- the music and video apps show up on the dash screen also as "1/5" e.g. song 1 of 5.

I like how it can play flac and mp3 files and any of videos I have tried to play so far, so I don't need to install any other music or video apps.

The radio IC (TEF6686) seems to work really well. Soooo much better than my old KGL RK3066 unit.

I do however have some issues:
- I believe the Bluetooth, makes you lose you contact on your iPhone when downloading contacts to head unit. (just a guess but I think that's what's happened)
- micro SD slot only accepts 32 GB (I need to do more testing on this though...maybe I need to format the microSD card to NTFS or maybe EXT2 or EXT3 or EXT4).
- the head unit doesn't have any way to set the apn settings so that you can have a usb dongle in it. You can enable 4G in the settings and an icon does come up in the pull down status bar, but it doesn't work. I haven't tested with an apn settings app yet.

Someone please get the original poster a new SOM. Here is a link to one. or is this the intel sofia unit.

https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-fyt-android-8-0-oreo-update-4gb-32gb-core-board.html

rowdy15

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Most on this thread have donated. Why not chip in a bit and make it happen faster?

OK. How do I do it. Paypal? edit: nevermind worked it out now. Sorry didn't see the donate button initially.

gtxaspec can you please send your postage details to dave, so he can send a SoM to you. happy to help pay for postage.

update on likes/dislikes.

the bluetooth quality is excellent and google assistant works great too. You guys may already have had a good quality microphone and google assistant, but this was a massive issue in the earlier models (e.g. KGL RK3066 models).

dislikes:
the music widget doesn't update the picture (from file metadata).
The widgets aren't that rich. It would be awesome to have the one widget like in malaysks rom. that shows the details of the different media programs.

The likes far outweigh the dislikes though.

Also worked out that a micro SD larger than 32 Gb works if formatted to NTFS.

Last edited:

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com
Development Notes:

*FYT_6026 does not require signed images...of anything, even the bootloader.

*FYT_6026 Boot Sequence:
4. sql6026update8 then writes to the Boot Control Block to reboot and launch the recovery binary in /sbin/recovery to begin the standard Android upgrade process. The file it looks for is 6026_8.zip
5. After 6026_8.zip is successfully processed, the recovery writes to the Boot Control Block again, this time to launch the sql6026update8 binary on boot and install the bundled applications from Allapp.pkg

This is not correct.
I created a custom ROM Yesterday, but it failed on an incorrect signed 6026_8.zip. Not signed, with testkeys signed, with my own signature: Always a "whole file verification error".
So the recovery binary does check signatures.

Last edited:

gtxaspec

Jun 26, 2007
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
This is not correct.
I created a custom ROM Yesterday, but it failed on an incorrect signed 6026_8.zip. Not signed, with testkeys signed, with my own signature: Always a "whole file verification error".
So the recovery binary does check signatures.
You can't use the joying recovery to install the zip, the joying recovery DOES require the zip to be signed. Use twrp. In my notes I was referring to the hardware itself, not the joying recovery

Reactions: Aaaron16

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com
You can't use the joying recovery to install the zip, the joying recovery DOES require the zip to be signed. Use twrp. In my notes I was referring to the hardware itself, not the joying recovery

OK. clear. It put me on the wrong foot thinking it was like the "old days" when making custom ROMs for rockchips.

Good you're back.
Can I use the same TWRP image as for the Sofia?

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com
Nope, you have to use one targeted towards the arm platform. Been traveling the past few months for work, I'll see if I can dig up my twrp image.

Some time ago I looked at the twrp.me site but there are so many versions and I can't find the most suitable for our units.
(I can't find the x86 one for the Sofia either)

Edit: or did you compile it yourself?

Edit 2: Or from here? https://twrpbuilder.github.io/downloads/twrp/ (search for px5)

Last edited:

Aaaron16

Mar 12, 2009
Is it possible to get a version of this ROM without Xposed? Or have you found a way of packing the system.new/system.patch/system.transfer files in the 6026_8.zip?

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com
Is it possible to get a version of this ROM without Xposed? Or have you found a way of packing the system.new/system.patch/system.transfer files in the 6026_8.zip?
It is not a problem to package a new system.new.dat and system.transfer.list (and also another allapp.pkg with some mods like a split-screen enabled apps and a BT-app that can only read contacts, so it won't screw(=remove all) your Google contacts). That is what I did and mentioned on 28th October (post #49).
The point is that the 6026_8.zip needs to be signed with the FYT/Joying signature, OR you need to replace the Joying recovery with a TWRP recovery as gtxaspec explained in post #50. With TWRP in place you also put everything (the things you want) from Allap.pkg also in system.new.dat and system.transfer.list.

This I had not understood from his post #5 where he mentioned "FYT_6026 does not require signed images...of anything, even the bootloader.". He meant there: In case you have the TWRP recovery, then the FYT_6026 does not ......
(It would have been so nice if it worked with unsigned images/files with the Joying recovery binary: Simply create a new 6026_8.zip and allapp.pkg and create a new file_contexts(.bin) for the SELinux extra file attributes, and simply flash that combo using Joyings update binary.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaaron16

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com
Continuation of https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=78317447&postcount=2084

You need to know the several partitions. For that you issue a command from a rooted adb access or a rooted shell on the unit, and do like:
Code:
ls -l /dev/block/platform/ff0f0000.dwmmc/by-name/
Among a lot of other partitions it will mention:
Code:
 recovery -> /dev/block/mmcblk2p7

When making a backup of the stock PX5 recovery image you need rooted adb access or a rooted shell on the unit, and do like:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk2p7  of=/sdcard/stock-px5-recovery.img
Then verify it:
Code:
sha1sum /sdcard/stock-px5-recovery.img
This should give you some sha1sum. Then do the dd and verify again and see if you get the same sha1sum.

When writing a recovery image, you first verify its sha1sum like:
Code:
sha1sum /sdcard/my_custom_recovery.img

And to write the recovery to its recovery partition you do something like:
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/my_custom_recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk2p7
Followed by a verify:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk2p7 of=/sdcard/check-my_custom_recovery.img
sha1sum /sdcard/check-my_custom_recovery.img
And of course both sha1sums should be equal. Then you can remove the /sdcard/check-my_custom_recovery.img
Then the proof of the pudding: try to reboot to the TWRP recovery.

etc. etc. And that is only to find the correct recovery image. Then the start for the "quest" of the custom ROM starts with multiple flashes, errors, probably soft-bricks. etc.

BE VERY CAREFUL!! And check my commands for yourself. I looked very carefuly at it, but everyone can make mistakes.
I will not do this myself.

Reactions: Kyle M.

wanb1i

Aug 17, 2010
Charlottesville, VA Area
Continuation of https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=78317447&postcount=2084

You need to know the several partitions. For that you issue a command from a rooted adb access or a rooted shell on the unit, and do like:
Code:
ls -l /dev/block/platform/ff0f0000.dwmmc/by-name/
Among a lot of other partitions it will mention:
Code:
 recovery -> /dev/block/mmcblk2p7

When making a backup of the stock PX5 recovery image you need rooted adb access or a rooted shell on the unit, and do like:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk2p7  of=/sdcard/stock-px5-recovery.img
Then verify it:
Code:
sha1sum /sdcard/stock-px5-recovery.img
This should give you some sha1sum. Then do the dd and verify again and see if you get the same sha1sum.

When writing a recovery image, you first verify its sha1sum like:
Code:
sha1sum /sdcard/my_custom_recovery.img

And to write the recovery to its recovery partition you do something like:
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/my_custom_recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk2p7
Followed by a verify:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk2p7 of=/sdcard/check-my_custom_recovery.img
sha1sum /sdcard/check-my_custom_recovery.img
And of course both sha1sums should be equal. Then you can remove the /sdcard/check-my_custom_recovery.img
Then the proof of the pudding: try to reboot to the TWRP recovery.

etc. etc. And that is only to find the correct recovery image. Then the start for the "quest" of the custom ROM starts with multiple flashes, errors, probably soft-bricks. etc.

BE VERY CAREFUL!! And check my commands for yourself. I looked very carefuly at it, but everyone can make mistakes.
I will not do this myself.

Sorry for double posting, I didn't realize it had been moved.

Isn't it possible to to temporarily "boot" the twrp recovery, instead of flashing to accomplish whatever task, then reboot and have stock recovery again? I know I did this on other Android devices.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com
Isn't it possible to to temporarily "boot" the twrp recovery, instead of flashing to accomplish whatever task, then reboot and have stock recovery again? I know I did this on other Android devices.
Yes, it is. It is the same as what Malaysk is doing with his Android 8 custom rom for MTCD/E units. He uses an SD-card as boot/recovery to flash his image.
You can also follow the steps and try for yourself via this post: https://xdaforums.com/android/help/how-to-boot-sd-card-qmobile-z8-bricked-t3712171
There are more posts/articles describing likewise approaches.
(And now that I think of it: This might even fix gtxaspecs hard-bricked px5. Or maybe he already tried)

Reactions: Kyle M.

Kyle M.

Yes, it is. It is the same as what Malaysk is doing with his Android 8 custom rom for MTCD/E units. He uses an SD-card as boot/recovery to flash his image.
You can also follow the steps and try for yourself via this post: https://xdaforums.com/android/help/how-to-boot-sd-card-qmobile-z8-bricked-t3712171
There are more posts/articles describing likewise approaches.
(And now that I think of it: This might even fix gtxaspecs hard-bricked px5. Or maybe he already tried)

OK, I think this second method of using temporary images might be the safer way around this. Then once i'm 100% happy it works for my unit, I'll try to write it on the recovery partition. Right after lunch, i'm gonna head out to my car with a spare battery and spend the evening with it. Let me know if anyone's interested so i'll take pics.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ========================================ACHTUNG===================
    =================WARNING==========================================
    ================================================== ===PELIGRO=======
    AS WITH ANY UNSUPPORTED SYSTEM MODIFICATIONS, USING THIS MAY LEAD TO A BRICK
    IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING ( HAVEN'T BRICKED MY SYSTEM YET! ) PLEASE
    BE AWARE THAT NO ONE ON THE INTERNET IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR
    UNIT. ANY PROBLEMS WILL BE CONSIDERED ACTS OF WHATEVER GOD YOU BELIEVE IN.
    ======PELIGRO================================================== =====
    ================================WARNING============================
    ===ACHTUNG================================================== =======

For ANY FYT SoM (6026) based Android FYT PX5 Head Unit!

Hello, here is a custom rom based on the SYU Stock Build 07_2018

Your Head Unit MUST ALREADY BE ROOTED! You must be able to obtain Super User access within Android!

stay tuned for more info!

really easy to work with, bootloader is unlocked, and doesn't require signed images. Xposed is working great, working on Magisk support.

--update 07/15

work on this rom has paused until I can afford to purchase another PX5 SoM... unforseen circumstances lead to the SoM being damaged =(
    @gtxaspec, where are you located? I can probably get you what you need. If outside of US perhaps we can crowdfund for shipping. I'm glad to provide the SOM though.

Dave
    FYT_6026 SoM Photos:
    SOM1:
    IMG_20180715_224249527_HDR.jpg

SOM2:
    IMG_20180715_224701344.jpg

SOM3:
    IMG_20180715_224529367.jpg

SOM4:
    IMG_20180715_224602780.jpg

SOM5:
    IMG_20180715_224455563.jpg

SOM6:
    IMG_20180715_224808601.jpg

SOM7:
    IMG_20180715_224842504.jpg

SOM8:
    IMG_20180715_225040671.jpg

My unit:
    unit.jpg
    gtxaspec, I had your custom rom on my fyt6021 and it worked excelent.
    I recently upgraded to the fyt6026 and I'm wating for you to finish your work on the custom rom for the fyt6026.
    I appreciate your work very much and hope you can finish it soon, that's why I made a donation to Gran Turismo Enterprises so you will be able to buy an new SoM soon.

Keep up the good work!:good:

Thanks,
    Hans

Thank You! Much appreciated! The work that I do on these units, the countless hours spent debugging and reverse-engineering, really my hobby, and done for the community so everyone may get some enjoyment, instead of frustration, from our devices! I spend a lot of time driving, so for me it's personal. Thanks again!
    Development Notes:

*FYT_6026 is PIN COMPATIBLE with the FYT_6021 Intel SoFIA SoM

*USB Hub seems to be integrated into the PX5 SoC...there is no visible USB Hub IC on the SoM

*Using the RockChip SD Card Tools, you are able to create a bootable MicroSD card if the /recovery or /system partitions are not bootable

*Locking all 8 PX5 Cores to MAX frequency (4@ 1200Mhz, 4@ 1500Mhz) results in the SoM temp to hit about 90C max. With a heatsink and fan, 40C max... Fastest Android Head Unit I have worked with to date in this mode.

*FYT_6026 does not require signed images...of anything, even the bootloader.

*FYT_6026 Boot Sequence:
    1. Read sql6026update8 binary from boot media
    2. sql6026update8 reads customercfg.txt, 6026lcdconfig.cfg, logo.bmp, updatecfg.txt, and config.txt files and applies parameters.
    3. sql6026update8 then applies MCU updates if they are present in the root or MCU folders
    4. sql6026update8 then writes to the Boot Control Block to reboot and launch the recovery binary in /sbin/recovery to begin the standard Android upgrade process. The file it looks for is 6026_8.zip
    5. After 6026_8.zip is successfully processed, the recovery writes to the Boot Control Block again, this time to launch the sql6026update8 binary on boot and install the bundled applications from Allapp.pkg
    6. Unit then is ready to reboot into the Android system.

*The sql6026update8 file can not be modified or replaced, the stock recovery verifies the checksum of this file.

*The stock rom has /system/bin/install-recovery which uses a patch file found in the root directory and patches the boot image to create and restore the recovery image on every boot, if it has been modified.

*Unlike the SoFIA units, the FYT_6026 does not output debug console output via the serial TX pins... (looking into this)

*FYT_6026 SoM features 2 SDIO interfaces. Only 1 SD card will work on units with this SoM, if they have multiple slots. One of the SDIO interfaces is used by the RTL8723DS WiFi/BT combo IC.