Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
0heEu4S.jpg

You flash this rom at your own risk,
i take no responsibility for any mishaps.​

To flash this rom, you will need to follow the instructions that are posted in post #2.​

Subscribe to update notifications and general chat by clicking the button below. If you have a request, do it there with the tag #wetarequest.
WETA NOTE9 TELEGRAM CHANNEL

WETA Update notification only channel - Update notifications

This here is my personal setup and thought i'd share. Usually i test extensively before releasing to public, but if you do find something detrimental to the usage of your device that is either Force Closing or simply not working, let me know and i will in turn inform whether that is something i will tend to.

WETA is made for Music geeks like me, its main focus is stability and Audio. It is Based off latest firmware currently, and will always be using the most up to date firmware base.

This ROM is built from stock system images, decompiled and modded by me.

Audio mods...

ViPER4Android 2.3.4.0 with Super quality audio driver or the new 2.5.0.5 with driver pre-installed (credit to @viper520 + @zhuhang)
- for more info on V4A, visit the WEBSITE or XDA thread
ViPER4Android 2.6.* , and updated V4A interface that can run on any V4A driver. Thanks goes out to - @Team_DeWitt - XDA Labs Link

Rom also includes...

Hybrid Deodexed rom (only deodexed where needed for stability and smoothness
3Minit Battery Mod Option (status bar and Home button) - (credit to @gharrington)
- for more info on 3Minit Battery, visit the WEBSITE or XDA thread
3Minit Clock Mod Option (status bar and Home button) - (credit to @gharrington)
- for more info on 3Minit Clock, visit the XDA thread
GRX Settings is used as a ROM control - (credit and thanks to @Grouxho)
GRX Circle battery mod - (credit and thanks to @Grouxho)
GRX Volume skip track mod - (credit and thanks to @Grouxho)

Changelog...

BETA 0.1
Initial build
3Minit Battery and Clock
V4A 2.3.4.0 + 2.5.0.5
Bixby Button reassign
Knox disabled
Debloated slightly
WETA reboot app

Converted to TWRP flashable zip
Added WETAmod app for mod control

Disabled high volume warning
Disabled high brightness warning
Added battery bar for status bar and navigation bar (on first boot itll be present on navbar, just disable in WETAmod if not wanted)
Added basic dark and black NavBar color options
Added basic NavBar height options

Added 3Minit Battery Home Button
Added 3Minit Clock Home Button
Added Net speed indicators

Adjustments to WETA audio
Converted most visual mods to "on the fly"
Added quick settings icons settings
Added proper color picker for navbar color
Added yellow or white spen color option (screen off memo)
Added uhq Bluetooth audio option (found this setting in firmware, no idea if it does anything)

Added better navigation bar height control (on the fly)
Updated the RMM bypass method for Note 9. Related to OEM unlock issues
Built and included custom kernel.
- built from @klabit87 TWRP kernel source
- Wireguard support added

Based off N960USQS1ARH6 PDA, September security patches
This is a base firmware update, i have decided to be bold and try basing off the usa 960U firmware as it has better security and overall updates.
*** You will need to wipe data for this update! or it will be crash city.
*** Ive been testing for 36 hours now and its as stable as N9600 firmware for me.

Added Carrier CSC/OMC/ODM to WETAmod app
How to use - You need to start by selecting an ODM file system to flash, this will give you the base to work from.
There are 4 USA options, TMobile, Verizon, Sprint and ATT. If you select one of these and apply, WETAmod will automatically
start a download of the filesystem zip, that once download is completed will bump you into twrp and flash for you. After rebooting,
you will have your stock ODM selection in place.
There is also a check box to add basic mods, such as call recording etc. This should be selected after you have booted once with your
chosen ODM selection.

New RJ6 base
Oct security patches

WETA Kernel 2.1 - updated to RJ6 source, wireguard and ioschedulers added
Fixed V4A installer for the 2.6.x version
Added Bixby disabler switch - disables all bixby services
Added secure storage fix for bluetooth issues
Rom now detects which ODM you are using and installs carrier apps if needed. This means you shouldn't have to flash ODM after a ROM flash.

This update really was the culmination of attempts to fix the lockscreen pin and pattern issues. Basically the pattern or pin would fail and a reboot would be needed for it to succeed again.

Updated to RL1 base, dec security patches
Updated Magisk to 18.0

Fixed v4a bugs
Adjusted status bar corner padding
Added Samsung debloating/disabling
Added Samsung Audio/Soundalive/dolby disable

Updated to RL3 base
- Im not sure what this update is, but RL3 is still dec sec patch, im thinking there may be a hot fix in there or something or it may just be preparing devices for PIE ota's.

Fixed V4A install
Updated odm xaa to RL3
Updated Kernel to RL1 source
Added GRX Circle battery mod to status and nav bars
- increased stroke size to create pie effect
Volume Skip track mod

Fixed up some odm things
Updated smali in skip track mod

Update to CSC1 Base
Fixed Magisk install

Updated to CSD1 Base

Update to CSE1 Base
Updated Magisk to 19.1

WETA is now a Magisk Rom, details on installation in post #2
Based on SH7 firmware, you must be in this firmware for this Magisk Module ROM to work.

Do not flash Gapps with this ROM!
Because this is based off of stock Samsung, gapps are included.

BACKUP EFS!!! this rom will not do this for you. I myself have bricked an s8+ that didn't have a backup...
Backup DATA!!! just in case.

Wipe Data if you are coming from another rom or version base if you have crashes or other issues before reporting.
Format SDCard if coming from stock encrypted

ROM Downloads

MEGA WETA Pie (Magisk Rom)

NEXTCLOUD WETA Pie (Magisk Rom)

--------------------->

Kernel Source
https://gitlab.com/mentalmuso/weta-kernel-sm-n9600

--------------------->

Beer fund

XDA:DevDB Information
WETA SM-N9600, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Contributors
Mentalmuso, mentalmuso
ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x

Version Information

Created 2018-09-26
Last Updated 2018-10-24

Last edited:

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
ROM Flashing instructions

WETA is now a Magisk Rom. This means you are responsible for updating your firmware to match the Magisk ROMs firmware base.
This Magisk ROM wil ALWAYS be based off TGY firmware. So if you stick with TGY you will be golden.
CSC/ODM is an ongoing work in progress, see telegram thread for more response and info.

Basic install method

1. Install TWRP - TWRP thread
2. In TWRP Flash the kernel that matches your firmware. Formatting data is needed on stock firmware. Also flash an encryption disabler, it is required. - encryption disabler thread
3. Boot into rooted system, first boot will hang on cache building, there is no way around this, hard reboot is needed after about 3min of waiting. Some people report it will boot fully after 10min of waiting. Setup magisk, you will need to download magisk manager and let it install the magisk environment. Once done and rebooted, move to next step.
4. Flash WETA Rom module, again, the module firmware base needs to match the firmware on your device.. I recommend you do this in Magisk Manager.

How do I update my firmware base?

Downloading and flashing the firmware with Odin is the recommended way, you can get fast downloads using Frija, a Windows app that is on XDA. This will take you back to un-rooted stock. I may make a flashable zip for system/vendor/kernel for each update, but don't bank on it. You will need to update the bootloader with Odin regardless.

WETA will always be based off TGY Firmware.

------------------------------------------------------------->

Old deprecated method...

Install TWRP by @klabit87

TWRP + Rom installation from STOCK setup:
1. Switch on OEM unlock in dev settings, bootloader unlock process requires wiping of data.
2. Using Odin, flash TWRP.tar file through the AP tab, making sure to reboot into recovery straight away, dont boot ito system!
3. Format Data. wipe/format_data/yes
4. Reboot recovery/twrp
5. Using an OTG or Micro sd, copy Encryption_Disabler + WETA_Kernel or WETA_Rom to your OTG or Micro sd device.
6. Using your storage device, flash Encryption_disabler, then flash WETA_Kernel or WETA_Rom (if you want simply rooted stock, just flash WETA_Kernel.)
7. Boot up, be patient, boot times may vary.

TWRP.tar - See TWRP thread for download

WETA_Kernel - This kernel is pre patched with Magisk. Simply find and install magisk manager to utilize root. For CSE1 Pie roms only. ( may work on other Pie roms but not guaranteed )

WETA_Rom - Includes WETA_Kernel with Magisk.

--->

Last edited:

aerobahn

Feb 25, 2011
Excellent job, thanks for all your hard work. I love seeing new N9600 projects! Does your ROM also include root?

Also, do you have a PayPal link where we can support your development on this device?

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
Excellent job, thanks for all your hard work. I love seeing new N9600 projects! Does your ROM also include root?

Also, do you have a PayPal link where we can support your development on this device?

No root included, as im not sure what devices are compatible with the root method - HERE

Im pretty sure there are only two kernels, chinese and hong kong.

I have a "beer fund" in my sig and in the op. Not necessary but appreciated.

--->

Last edited:

TheUndertaker21

Jul 11, 2011
Brooklyn
Xposed Modules
Don't have the exynos device this time around. Surely it's portable though being treble and all. Early days.

--->

Yeah I'm running a gsi rom now only stable rom we have lol
There are some bugs with gear and kernel that are needed.
One or. 2 roms got that bug figured out lol.
No kernel meaning the spay for gear will detect root even if you hide it from magisk.
Hope you bring your rom to us too lol.

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
Yeah I'm running a gsi rom now only stable rom we have lol
There are some bugs with gear and kernel that are needed.
One or. 2 roms got that bug figured out lol.
No kernel meaning the spay for gear will detect root even if you hide it from magisk.
Hope you bring your rom to us too lol.
Yeah I flashed pixel experience (pie) and lineage. It's awesome that it's so easy now. I love Google for pushing treble.

Interesting about the kernel. I just assumed the F had everything worked out. You also mean the gear watch? Or gear cameras etc? I've got a gear 360 I better test that it works.

[emoji450]--->

Reactions: Xshooter726

TheUndertaker21

Jul 11, 2011
Brooklyn
Xposed Modules
Yeah I flashed pixel experience (pie) and lineage. It's awesome that it's so easy now. I love Google for pushing treble.

Interesting about the kernel. I just assumed the F had everything worked out. You also mean the gear watch? Or gear cameras etc? I've got a gear 360 I better test that it works.

[emoji450]--->

The gear watch.
There's a bug where the pairing would get stuck pairing underway forever.
It is still an issue for most roms here lol.
Some devs even got mad and will drop support for it completely due to users like me asking about it lol.
I did try to sold it myself but couldn't.

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
please fixed samsung galaxy gear s3 with this rom
I have a better idea actually, you could have a great learning curve ahead of you by trying to track down what you think is broken, maybe try a few things to see if you can fix it yourself.

I can't help you without the device or at least logs of crashes. Any dev will tell you the same thing.

[emoji450]--->

I did something really stupid. I got up early this morning and saw your thread but unfortunatley my excitemenyt about a new rom for the Note 9 overpowered my common sense and I didn't realize this was not for the N950F - so I flashed it - bad mistake - now I lost my IMEI and I don't know how to get it back.

I know what my IMEI numnber is - but I don't have a backup per se. I just got it from my GOOGLE Account where it lists my devices.

Any help yoiu can offer to help me restore my IMEI is greatly appreciated.

AngryDinosaur

Jan 23, 2011
Boston
Oh shoot here we go :highfive:

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

@FSadino should sticky disclaimer about gear watch on main note 9 thread ?
@metalmuso don't worry about them gear heads

Last edited:

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
WETA 1.0

Added WETAmod mod control app
Includes Magisk 17.2 root by default on stock kernel

*** This is just a very basic start, just so i can get my groove with my new setup. I'll be adding things periodically over the next week.. probably daily updates. Better layout and theming of the WETAmod app will eventuate also.

Download Link - SM-N9600 ONLY!!!

--->

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    0heEu4S.jpg

You flash this rom at your own risk,
    i take no responsibility for any mishaps.​

To flash this rom, you will need to follow the instructions that are posted in post #2.​

Subscribe to update notifications and general chat by clicking the button below. If you have a request, do it there with the tag #wetarequest.
    WETA NOTE9 TELEGRAM CHANNEL

WETA Update notification only channel - Update notifications

This here is my personal setup and thought i'd share. Usually i test extensively before releasing to public, but if you do find something detrimental to the usage of your device that is either Force Closing or simply not working, let me know and i will in turn inform whether that is something i will tend to.

WETA is made for Music geeks like me, its main focus is stability and Audio. It is Based off latest firmware currently, and will always be using the most up to date firmware base.

This ROM is built from stock system images, decompiled and modded by me.

Audio mods...

ViPER4Android 2.3.4.0 with Super quality audio driver or the new 2.5.0.5 with driver pre-installed (credit to @viper520 + @zhuhang)
    - for more info on V4A, visit the WEBSITE or XDA thread
    ViPER4Android 2.6.* , and updated V4A interface that can run on any V4A driver. Thanks goes out to - @Team_DeWitt - XDA Labs Link

Rom also includes...

Hybrid Deodexed rom (only deodexed where needed for stability and smoothness
    3Minit Battery Mod Option (status bar and Home button) - (credit to @gharrington)
    - for more info on 3Minit Battery, visit the WEBSITE or XDA thread
    3Minit Clock Mod Option (status bar and Home button) - (credit to @gharrington)
    - for more info on 3Minit Clock, visit the XDA thread
    GRX Settings is used as a ROM control - (credit and thanks to @Grouxho)
    GRX Circle battery mod - (credit and thanks to @Grouxho)
    GRX Volume skip track mod - (credit and thanks to @Grouxho)

Changelog...

BETA 0.1
    Initial build
    3Minit Battery and Clock
    V4A 2.3.4.0 + 2.5.0.5
    Bixby Button reassign
    Knox disabled
    Debloated slightly
    WETA reboot app

Added WETAmod app for mod control

Disabled high volume warning
    Disabled high brightness warning
    Added battery bar for status bar and navigation bar (on first boot itll be present on navbar, just disable in WETAmod if not wanted)
    Added basic dark and black NavBar color options
    Added basic NavBar height options

Added 3Minit Battery Home Button
    Added 3Minit Clock Home Button
    Added Net speed indicators

Adjustments to WETA audio
    Converted most visual mods to "on the fly"
    Added quick settings icons settings
    Added proper color picker for navbar color
    Added yellow or white spen color option (screen off memo)
    Added uhq Bluetooth audio option (found this setting in firmware, no idea if it does anything)

Added better navigation bar height control (on the fly)
    Updated the RMM bypass method for Note 9. Related to OEM unlock issues
    Built and included custom kernel.
    - built from @klabit87 TWRP kernel source
    - Wireguard support added

Based off N960USQS1ARH6 PDA, September security patches
    This is a base firmware update, i have decided to be bold and try basing off the usa 960U firmware as it has better security and overall updates.
    *** You will need to wipe data for this update! or it will be crash city.
    *** Ive been testing for 36 hours now and its as stable as N9600 firmware for me.

Added Carrier CSC/OMC/ODM to WETAmod app
    How to use - You need to start by selecting an ODM file system to flash, this will give you the base to work from.
    There are 4 USA options, TMobile, Verizon, Sprint and ATT. If you select one of these and apply, WETAmod will automatically
    start a download of the filesystem zip, that once download is completed will bump you into twrp and flash for you. After rebooting,
    you will have your stock ODM selection in place.
    There is also a check box to add basic mods, such as call recording etc. This should be selected after you have booted once with your
    chosen ODM selection.

New RJ6 base
    Oct security patches

WETA Kernel 2.1 - updated to RJ6 source, wireguard and ioschedulers added
    Fixed V4A installer for the 2.6.x version
    Added Bixby disabler switch - disables all bixby services
    Added secure storage fix for bluetooth issues
    Rom now detects which ODM you are using and installs carrier apps if needed. This means you shouldn't have to flash ODM after a ROM flash.

This update really was the culmination of attempts to fix the lockscreen pin and pattern issues. Basically the pattern or pin would fail and a reboot would be needed for it to succeed again.

Updated to RL1 base, dec security patches
    Updated Magisk to 18.0

Fixed v4a bugs
    Adjusted status bar corner padding
    Added Samsung debloating/disabling
    Added Samsung Audio/Soundalive/dolby disable

Updated to RL3 base
    - Im not sure what this update is, but RL3 is still dec sec patch, im thinking there may be a hot fix in there or something or it may just be preparing devices for PIE ota's.

Fixed V4A install
    Updated odm xaa to RL3
    Updated Kernel to RL1 source
    Added GRX Circle battery mod to status and nav bars
    - increased stroke size to create pie effect
    Volume Skip track mod

Fixed up some odm things

Update to CSC1 Base
    Fixed Magisk install

Updated to CSD1 Base

Update to CSE1 Base
    Updated Magisk to 19.1

WETA is now a Magisk Rom, details on installation in post #2
    Based on SH7 firmware, you must be in this firmware for this Magisk Module ROM to work.

Do not flash Gapps with this ROM!
    Because this is based off of stock Samsung, gapps are included.

BACKUP EFS!!! this rom will not do this for you. I myself have bricked an s8+ that didn't have a backup...
    Backup DATA!!! just in case.

Wipe Data if you are coming from another rom or version base if you have crashes or other issues before reporting.
    Format SDCard if coming from stock encrypted

ROM Downloads

--------------------->

Kernel Source
    https://gitlab.com/mentalmuso/weta-kernel-sm-n9600

--------------------->

Beer fund

XDA:DevDB Information
    WETA SM-N9600, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Contributors
    Mentalmuso, mentalmuso
    ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x

Version Information

Created 2018-09-26
    Last Updated 2018-10-24
    ROM Flashing instructions

WETA is now a Magisk Rom. This means you are responsible for updating your firmware to match the Magisk ROMs firmware base.
    This Magisk ROM wil ALWAYS be based off TGY firmware. So if you stick with TGY you will be golden.
    CSC/ODM is an ongoing work in progress, see telegram thread for more response and info.

Basic install method

1. Install TWRP - TWRP thread
    2. In TWRP Flash the kernel that matches your firmware. Formatting data is needed on stock firmware. Also flash an encryption disabler, it is required. - encryption disabler thread
    3. Boot into rooted system, first boot will hang on cache building, there is no way around this, hard reboot is needed after about 3min of waiting. Some people report it will boot fully after 10min of waiting. Setup magisk, you will need to download magisk manager and let it install the magisk environment. Once done and rebooted, move to next step.
    4. Flash WETA Rom module, again, the module firmware base needs to match the firmware on your device.. I recommend you do this in Magisk Manager.

How do I update my firmware base?

Downloading and flashing the firmware with Odin is the recommended way, you can get fast downloads using Frija, a Windows app that is on XDA. This will take you back to un-rooted stock. I may make a flashable zip for system/vendor/kernel for each update, but don't bank on it. You will need to update the bootloader with Odin regardless.

WETA will always be based off TGY Firmware.

------------------------------------------------------------->

Old deprecated method...

Install TWRP by @klabit87

TWRP + Rom installation from STOCK setup:
    1. Switch on OEM unlock in dev settings, bootloader unlock process requires wiping of data.
    2. Using Odin, flash TWRP.tar file through the AP tab, making sure to reboot into recovery straight away, dont boot ito system!
    3. Format Data. wipe/format_data/yes
    4. Reboot recovery/twrp
    5. Using an OTG or Micro sd, copy Encryption_Disabler + WETA_Kernel or WETA_Rom to your OTG or Micro sd device.
    6. Using your storage device, flash Encryption_disabler, then flash WETA_Kernel or WETA_Rom (if you want simply rooted stock, just flash WETA_Kernel.)
    7. Boot up, be patient, boot times may vary.

TWRP.tar - See TWRP thread for download

WETA_Kernel - This kernel is pre patched with Magisk. Simply find and install magisk manager to utilize root. For CSE1 Pie roms only. ( may work on other Pie roms but not guaranteed )

WETA_Rom - Includes WETA_Kernel with Magisk.

--->
    WETA 6.1.1

Fixed V4A processing from storage audio
    Added V4A system-wide option

Download Page

--->
    WETA 4.3.2

Fixed up some odm things

Download Page

[emoji450]
    WETA 4.3