[ROOT] Hardmod Root Your Amazon Fire HD 8 (7th Gen)

Search This thread

<br />

Aug 5, 2018
J20Fmec.png

Amazon Fire HD 8 (7th Gen) Hardmod Root Guide

I have successfully rooted the Amazon Fire HD 8 (7th Gen), and I want to help you do it too! This is not an easy root, but it's as easy as it can be. The aim for this root was to get at least one working method in order to help aid the development of an easier software root in the future. Countless people from the xda-developers forums worked together to make this root method possible. This thread is where everything started. In no particular order, I want to thank for their help:

@Supersonic27543, @DragonFire1024, @teixeirap, @diplomatic, @richaardvark, @t0x1cSH, @Qiangong2, @MontysEvilTwin, @TheRealIntence, @Snigglez, @ambush_boy, @cybersaga, @gamblodar, @adidasos
… and everyone else who I missed. You're all amazing. Thank you!

I sunk a couple hundred dollars into finding this exploit, so if it works for you please consider helping me recuperate the costs. I want to find an exploit for the newer 8th gen tablets but cannot keep spending money like this. If nothing else, please give this post a thumbs up! :)

Start Here

Remember, this is a hardware root, so you will need experience with a soldering iron. All the hardware modifications needed for this tablet are pretty easy even if you have never soldered before. However, especially in the case of hardware modifications, there is a chance you can permanently brick your tablet. If you follow this guide, don't hold me responsible if you break things.

This guide will be improved as time goes on. Please reply with any questions or comments and I will help out where I can! Let's get started :)

General Procedure:
  1. Preparation - Gather the materials, build an SD card adapter, etc.
  2. Disassembly - Take the tablet apart and turn over the motherboard
  3. Hardware Modifications - Soldering the SD card adapter to the board
  4. Communication - Getting the device to talk to your computer
  5. Software Modifications - Installing SuperSU by hand
  6. Testing and Cleanup - Checking for root, removing the SD card adapter, reassembly.

1. Preparation

You will need:
  • An SD card reader that can read in 1-bit mode. This one will work. If you already have a reader you'd like to try, find a working SD card and referring to this diagram use some electrical tape to cover up pins 1, 2, and 9 (DAT 1-3). If you plug in the card and it still reads, then the reader will work.
  • A micro-sd card adapter. This will be taken apart so you can solder to the inside.
  • A soldering iron, solder, and experience.
  • Some thin wire. I like to use some 28 AWG magnet wire since it has an insulative enamel coating to prevent short circuits.
  • A small phillips head screwdriver to remove the motherboard.
  • Either a linux-based computer or a virtual machine running linux through which you can mount a raw physical disk from the host computer. VirtualBox can do this and I will show you how.
  • Experience using Linux commands and mounting partitions.
  • SuperSU version 2.79.

Modifying the SD Card Adapter
Pry apart the SD card adapter. You need to connect wires to CMD, GND, CLK, and DAT0. Give yourself at least a few inches of length to work with. Here are some images to help you figure it out:

I recommend putting some tape on the wires and writing what they are so you don't lose track after putting the adapter back together (or in my case, wrapping tape around the adapter because I broke the shell).
Also, you will need to either make sure that the sliding lock on the side of the adapter is still there (or fill it in so that there's no more indent) or take apart your SD card reader and ground the read-only pin so that the reader allows you to write to the card. (Grounding it makes it writable, having it open makes it read-only). This pin is located to the far left of the reader when the opening is facing you and the card is facing up.

2. Disassembly
Use a pry tool to take apart the tablet at the seam. There are no ribbon cables connecting the back cover to the front so you can just pull it off. Start at the bottom, and pull upwards so that the fulcrum is on the top of the tablet where the USB port is. This is the easiest way to get it off.

Next, unscrew the screws near the top of the board. Remove the tape covering the camera and disconnect the camera. It just pops off with your pry tool. There is a battery connector at the bottom right, an LCD connector at the bottom left, and a touch screen connector at top center. The battery connector pops out without lifting any hinges. Use tweezers to get underneath the wires and pop it up out of the slot. Lift up the hinge on the touch screen connector and use something very thin to get underneath the glued down ribbon cable. Be careful not to break things. Once it's free from the glue, slide the ribbon cable sideways to pull it out from the connector. Lift the hinge on the LCD connector.

Now, take the board from the top and lift upwards. Stick something under the board to break free some of the glue underneath while you pull upwards. This time the fulcrum of the motherboard is where the LCD and battery connector are. Do be cautious, there are speaker wires at the bottom right to be aware of. Once you have it lifted up most of the way, you can slide it out from under the plastic parts near the power connector and fold it sideways towards the right side of the tablet. The speaker wires act as a hinge.

If all goes well you should be looking at the back of the motherboard right now.

3. Hardware Modifications
Solder the wires from the sd card adapter to the respective test points in this diagram. VSS means GND. Once done with this, fold the motherboard back over and plug the ribbon cables back in. Plug in the power cable last. Loosely put the tablet back into its cover so that you don't crush the wires you just soldered, but also to protect the tablet from short circuiting on your table or something.

4. Communication
Plug your SD card reader into your computer, but do not plug in the SD card adapter. Power up your tablet with the volume down button pressed. At the recovery, use the volume keys to navigate to "Enter bootloader" but DO NOT press power yet.

You need to be ready. Within half a second of pressing power you need to plug the SD card adapter into the reader. This is the most reliable way I have gotten the reader to talk to the eMMC chip.

If all goes well you will see all the partitions appear on your computer. On Windows, check disk manager to see them all. On Ubuntu, use the disks program. When on Windows, it will pop up probably 20 different windows asking you to format drives. CLICK NO. And no and no and no and .... You do not want to format your eMMC lmao. Now just leave the card plugged in and don't touch the tablet. Don't even breathe on it.

5. Software Modifications

Mounting the drive:
Ok this is the most difficult part. On Windows you need to get a linux virtual machine. I prefer to use Ubuntu for this. I also use VirtualBox to run the VM and I can't help you if you don't use it. If you are already using Linux this will make things easier, but if you must use Windows, then you need to mount the eMMC on your virtual machine.

To do this, open a command prompt as an Administrator and navigate to "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox". Using disk manager, find what disk number (left side) the SD card reader is mounted on. Then, run this command:

Code:
VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "C:\Users\<user_name>\firehd8.vmdk" -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive#

Where the # at the end is the disk number you found earlier (mine was 2), and "<user_name>" is obviously the name of your account. This should make a vmdk file on your desktop and be successful. Then you can open your VirtualBox settings for your VM, go to Storage, SATA, and add an existing drive being that vmdk file that just got created. Now boot the machine, and the drive will disappear off Windows but will reappear inside the VM. Please note that VirtualBox must be running as an administrator.

Now, in linux, mount the system partition (it should be about 1.5GB and will usually be partition 14). Open a terminal into it.

Writing SuperSU:
Did I say the last part was most difficult? Well this one is most time-consuming and most easy to do wrong. Here we go! Extract your SuperSU zip that you downloaded. You only need to keep two folders: common and arm64. You will copy the files from these folders into the system partition and set permissions as follows.

Note: When you see 4 numbers like 0644, this is referring to the permissions to set via chmod.

Note 2: When you see something like u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0, this is referring to the extended attribute security.selinux which can be set with this command:

Code:
sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v "u:object_r:system_file:s0" FILENAME
(Get setfattr by installing the attr package)

Or on most Ubuntu systems, this command will work too:
Code:
chcon u:object_r:system_file:s0 FILENAME

Note 3: All files copied or created will be owned by root:root. If you use sudo for these commands or do them as root, you'll be fine.

• Create a directory at /system/app/SuperSU (0644 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
  • Copy common/Superuser.apk to /system/app/SuperSU/SuperSU.apk (0644 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
  • Copy common/install-recovery.sh to /system/etc/install-recovery.sh (0755 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
  • Create symlink from /system/bin/install-recovery.sh to /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
  • Copy arm64/su to /system/xbin/su (0755 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
  • Copy arm64/su to /system/xbin/daemonsu (0755 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
  • Copy arm64/supolicy to /system/xbin/supolicy (0755 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
  • Copy arm64/libsupol.so to /system/lib64/libsupol.so (0644 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
  • Move /system/bin/app_process to /system/bin/app_process_backup
  • Create symlink from /system/bin/app_process to /system/xbin/daemonsu
  • Create an empty file at /system/etc/.installed_su_daemon (0644 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)

That's it! Now properly unmount and eject your SD card and boot up your device.

6. Testing and Cleanup
If all goes well you'll find a SuperSU app on your homescreen. Run it and it will probably tell you to update the su binary. Do so, restart, and then you should have root! Congrats! Make sure to go into settings and set it to grant rather than prompt.

Power down your device, unplug the cables, flip the board, desolder the wires, flip the board again, plug in the cables, put your camera back in, and then screw it all back together and slap on the back cover. You did it!

Extra Info and Troubleshooting

I will add troubleshooting steps here as time goes on.

Should you need them, here are the eMMC dumps from the 16GB and 32GB variants:

Last edited:

richaardvark

Dec 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
This is beautiful!!! :) I have to get some basic supplies, but I am excited to try this out! I'd just about given up hope that this device would ever be rooted, but you made it happen! :) Definitely not the easiest root process, but maybe it will eventually lead to easier ways to obtain root. Thank you again for your hard work and dedication (and to everyone else as well!) on this!! :D ???

<br />

Aug 5, 2018
This is beautiful!!! :) I have to get some basic supplies, but I am excited to try this out! I'd just about given up hope that this device would ever be rooted, but you made it happen! :) Definitely not the easiest root process, but maybe it will eventually lead to easier ways to obtain root. Thank you again for your hard work and dedication (and to everyone else as well!) on this!! :D ??

Haha yay! It makes me happy to see people excited over this. That's what I was hoping for in the long run. I saw the progress thread struggling and thought I could try and help out on the hardware side. It turned out to be a hobby I never knew I needed; something to look forward to each day that made my life a little more exciting. I'm really proud of how far we've come :)

And you're right, it's definitely not the easiest. I want to make a video tutorial sometime. I have little experience making video tutorials so we'll see.

Supersonic27543

Nov 14, 2016
YAY!!! Finally, After almost a year of brainstorming by lots of people, and 700+ posts in the progress thread, we have root! :D THANK YOU for the work you put into this! :victory:
A pity that after so much time finally a root is found, but I can't do it (because it involves soldering which is a thing I can't do for a lot of reasons LOL). So, the progress thread will continue searching for a software root, and of course the next step, a bootloader unlock! You helped a couple of my ideas for a software root too, by full access to the eMMC dump.
Thank you again for your great work, and everyone, good luck hardware modding! :D

I don't know Linux and I don't know how to solder but what the hell I've got an unused 7th gen hd8 sitting here and I'm pretty methodical so why not give it a go eh? Just for fun.

:D

Edit: I'm looking at you @DragonFire1024, you know you want to ;)

Right now I don't have the supplies or means to get them. Otherwise I'd have already started this AM. Right now I'm focused on looking at the partitions to get these things unlocked, whether i have help and advice, or not. I'd prefer help, but as with most of my work, I am sure I'll eventually figure it it out on my own.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

With that being said, is anyone going to clarify what @diplomatic was talking about? I don't like receiving half of the advice/instructions.

MontysEvilTwin

Nov 4, 2016
I have the same Transcend SD card reader which I use to copy files to and from my Amazon tablets with a USB OTG cable. I was wondering if it would be possible to use a rooted Fire 7 (2015) or Fire HD 10 (2017) with Busybox installed to copy the SuperSU files and set permissions using a terminal emulator with a root shell, instead of a Linux machine/ virtual machine?
I am happy to break a couple of micro SD adapters to connect up the eMMC, but I am anxious about soldering to the motherboard. Is just taping the wires to the motherboard feasible, or is this just not robust enough?

Right now I don't have the supplies or means to get them. Otherwise I'd have already started this AM. Right now I'm focused on looking at the partitions to get these things unlocked, whether i have help and advice, or not. I'd prefer help, but as with most of my work, I am sure I'll eventually figure it it out on my own.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

With that being said, is anyone going to clarify what @diplomatic was talking about? I don't like receiving half of the advice/instructions.

The way I understand it, you're looking for the address of the unlock 'partition' so if you flash a text file with renamed file extension to it then you can trawl through address space till you find the text you recognize. Then you'll be able to work out where it is. It might overflow to or from another area but knowing the content of the file will enable you to figure out where correct offsets are....or something like that. Just my interpretation.

Reactions: DragonFire1024

<br />

Aug 5, 2018
I have the same Transcend SD card reader which I use to copy files to and from my Amazon tablets with a USB OTG cable. I was wondering if it would be possible to use a rooted Fire 7 (2015) or Fire HD 10 (2017) with Busybox installed to copy the SuperSU files and set permissions using a terminal emulator with a root shell, instead of a Linux machine/ virtual machine?
I am happy to break a couple of micro SD adapters to connect up the eMMC, but I am anxious about soldering to the motherboard. Is just taping the wires to the motherboard feasible, or is this just not robust enough?
Honestly it might be possible. I'll look into this and get back to you later.

As for taping the wires, you might get away with it but it better be strong tape. If the connection is broken at any point while mounted you risk corrupted data and such. Who knows what would happen. I believe in you though! Soldering is easy on this board, there's not much to go wrong. Just be careful around the resistors next to the CLK pad and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

nonnymoose

Dec 13, 2016
Code:

Most Ubuntu systems come with selinux installed, so it might be easier to just do
Code:

P.S. How did you find out which test points were connected to the EMMC? I might be able to use that method to root a completely different device.

Reactions: diplomatic

<br />

Aug 5, 2018
Most Ubuntu systems come with selinux installed, so it might be easier to just do
Code:

P.S. How did you find out which test points were connected to the EMMC? I might be able to use that method to root a completely different device.

Thanks for that command! I did not know that.

I bought a broken tablet on eBay and removed the eMMC chip from the motherboard, then used a multimeter to test the points based on the datasheet for the chip. You could also probably figure it out with a logic analyzer by guessing and checking but this tablet gave no clues as to where the points were so I had to go the hard route.

Sep 9, 2017
Sorry to ask for more, but can we have pictures or a video of the whole process please. Also, can we get custom rom with this method?

<br />

Aug 5, 2018
Sorry to ask for more, but can we have pictures or a video of the whole process please. Also, can we get custom rom with this method?

Yes, pictures will be added soon. I'm overloaded with schoolwork but I wanted to get something out quickly so that's why this guide is not the best quality. I will probably make a video in the future. I don't know too much about roms so I'm not the best person to ask that question. I think @diplomatic would know, but my guess is that roms require an unlocked bootloader.

The way I understand it, you're looking for the address of the unlock 'partition' so if you flash a text file with renamed file extension to it then you can trawl through address space till you find the text you recognize. Then you'll be able to work out where it is. It might overflow to or from another area but knowing the content of the file will enable you to figure out where correct offsets are....or something like that. Just my interpretation.

I don't know if the partition is a bin or img. I looked at it as a text and there's only a few characters in it. I don't know if it means anything though. I'll have to get into this tomorrow

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using XDA Labs

Also I would name the file proinfo.bin and flash it doing fastboot flashing correct?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using XDA Labs

SiggiBartman

Nov 27, 2017
Yes, pictures will be added soon. I'm overloaded with schoolwork but I wanted to get something out quickly so that's why this guide is not the best quality. I will probably make a video in the future. I don't know too much about roms so I'm not the best person to ask that question. I think @diplomatic would know, but my guess is that roms require an unlocked bootloader.

The Fire 5th gen from 2015 has custom roms via flash fire and a locked bootloader.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    J20Fmec.png

Amazon Fire HD 8 (7th Gen) Hardmod Root Guide

I have successfully rooted the Amazon Fire HD 8 (7th Gen), and I want to help you do it too! This is not an easy root, but it's as easy as it can be. The aim for this root was to get at least one working method in order to help aid the development of an easier software root in the future. Countless people from the xda-developers forums worked together to make this root method possible. This thread is where everything started. In no particular order, I want to thank for their help:

@Supersonic27543, @DragonFire1024, @teixeirap, @diplomatic, @richaardvark, @t0x1cSH, @Qiangong2, @MontysEvilTwin, @TheRealIntence, @Snigglez, @ambush_boy, @cybersaga, @gamblodar, @adidasos
    … and everyone else who I missed. You're all amazing. Thank you!

I sunk a couple hundred dollars into finding this exploit, so if it works for you please consider helping me recuperate the costs. I want to find an exploit for the newer 8th gen tablets but cannot keep spending money like this. If nothing else, please give this post a thumbs up! :)

Start Here

Remember, this is a hardware root, so you will need experience with a soldering iron. All the hardware modifications needed for this tablet are pretty easy even if you have never soldered before. However, especially in the case of hardware modifications, there is a chance you can permanently brick your tablet. If you follow this guide, don't hold me responsible if you break things.

This guide will be improved as time goes on. Please reply with any questions or comments and I will help out where I can! Let's get started :)

General Procedure:
    1. Preparation - Gather the materials, build an SD card adapter, etc.
    2. Disassembly - Take the tablet apart and turn over the motherboard
    3. Hardware Modifications - Soldering the SD card adapter to the board
    4. Communication - Getting the device to talk to your computer
    5. Software Modifications - Installing SuperSU by hand
    6. Testing and Cleanup - Checking for root, removing the SD card adapter, reassembly.

1. Preparation

You will need:
    • An SD card reader that can read in 1-bit mode. This one will work. If you already have a reader you'd like to try, find a working SD card and referring to this diagram use some electrical tape to cover up pins 1, 2, and 9 (DAT 1-3). If you plug in the card and it still reads, then the reader will work.
    • A micro-sd card adapter. This will be taken apart so you can solder to the inside.
    • A soldering iron, solder, and experience.
    • Some thin wire. I like to use some 28 AWG magnet wire since it has an insulative enamel coating to prevent short circuits.
    • A small phillips head screwdriver to remove the motherboard.
    • Either a linux-based computer or a virtual machine running linux through which you can mount a raw physical disk from the host computer. VirtualBox can do this and I will show you how.
    • Experience using Linux commands and mounting partitions.
    • SuperSU version 2.79.

Modifying the SD Card Adapter
    Pry apart the SD card adapter. You need to connect wires to CMD, GND, CLK, and DAT0. Give yourself at least a few inches of length to work with. Here are some images to help you figure it out:

I recommend putting some tape on the wires and writing what they are so you don't lose track after putting the adapter back together (or in my case, wrapping tape around the adapter because I broke the shell).
    Also, you will need to either make sure that the sliding lock on the side of the adapter is still there (or fill it in so that there's no more indent) or take apart your SD card reader and ground the read-only pin so that the reader allows you to write to the card. (Grounding it makes it writable, having it open makes it read-only). This pin is located to the far left of the reader when the opening is facing you and the card is facing up.

2. Disassembly
    Use a pry tool to take apart the tablet at the seam. There are no ribbon cables connecting the back cover to the front so you can just pull it off. Start at the bottom, and pull upwards so that the fulcrum is on the top of the tablet where the USB port is. This is the easiest way to get it off.

Next, unscrew the screws near the top of the board. Remove the tape covering the camera and disconnect the camera. It just pops off with your pry tool. There is a battery connector at the bottom right, an LCD connector at the bottom left, and a touch screen connector at top center. The battery connector pops out without lifting any hinges. Use tweezers to get underneath the wires and pop it up out of the slot. Lift up the hinge on the touch screen connector and use something very thin to get underneath the glued down ribbon cable. Be careful not to break things. Once it's free from the glue, slide the ribbon cable sideways to pull it out from the connector. Lift the hinge on the LCD connector.

Now, take the board from the top and lift upwards. Stick something under the board to break free some of the glue underneath while you pull upwards. This time the fulcrum of the motherboard is where the LCD and battery connector are. Do be cautious, there are speaker wires at the bottom right to be aware of. Once you have it lifted up most of the way, you can slide it out from under the plastic parts near the power connector and fold it sideways towards the right side of the tablet. The speaker wires act as a hinge.

If all goes well you should be looking at the back of the motherboard right now.

3. Hardware Modifications
    Solder the wires from the sd card adapter to the respective test points in this diagram. VSS means GND. Once done with this, fold the motherboard back over and plug the ribbon cables back in. Plug in the power cable last. Loosely put the tablet back into its cover so that you don't crush the wires you just soldered, but also to protect the tablet from short circuiting on your table or something.

4. Communication
    Plug your SD card reader into your computer, but do not plug in the SD card adapter. Power up your tablet with the volume down button pressed. At the recovery, use the volume keys to navigate to "Enter bootloader" but DO NOT press power yet.

You need to be ready. Within half a second of pressing power you need to plug the SD card adapter into the reader. This is the most reliable way I have gotten the reader to talk to the eMMC chip.

If all goes well you will see all the partitions appear on your computer. On Windows, check disk manager to see them all. On Ubuntu, use the disks program. When on Windows, it will pop up probably 20 different windows asking you to format drives. CLICK NO. And no and no and no and .... You do not want to format your eMMC lmao. Now just leave the card plugged in and don't touch the tablet. Don't even breathe on it.

5. Software Modifications

Mounting the drive:
    Ok this is the most difficult part. On Windows you need to get a linux virtual machine. I prefer to use Ubuntu for this. I also use VirtualBox to run the VM and I can't help you if you don't use it. If you are already using Linux this will make things easier, but if you must use Windows, then you need to mount the eMMC on your virtual machine.

To do this, open a command prompt as an Administrator and navigate to "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox". Using disk manager, find what disk number (left side) the SD card reader is mounted on. Then, run this command:

Code:
    VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "C:\Users\<user_name>\firehd8.vmdk" -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive#

Where the # at the end is the disk number you found earlier (mine was 2), and "<user_name>" is obviously the name of your account. This should make a vmdk file on your desktop and be successful. Then you can open your VirtualBox settings for your VM, go to Storage, SATA, and add an existing drive being that vmdk file that just got created. Now boot the machine, and the drive will disappear off Windows but will reappear inside the VM. Please note that VirtualBox must be running as an administrator.

Now, in linux, mount the system partition (it should be about 1.5GB and will usually be partition 14). Open a terminal into it.

Writing SuperSU:
    Did I say the last part was most difficult? Well this one is most time-consuming and most easy to do wrong. Here we go! Extract your SuperSU zip that you downloaded. You only need to keep two folders: common and arm64. You will copy the files from these folders into the system partition and set permissions as follows.

Note: When you see 4 numbers like 0644, this is referring to the permissions to set via chmod.

Note 2: When you see something like u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0, this is referring to the extended attribute security.selinux which can be set with this command:

Code:
    (Get setfattr by installing the attr package)

Or on most Ubuntu systems, this command will work too:
    Code:

Note 3: All files copied or created will be owned by root:root. If you use sudo for these commands or do them as root, you'll be fine.

• Create a directory at /system/app/SuperSU (0644 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
    • Copy common/Superuser.apk to /system/app/SuperSU/SuperSU.apk (0644 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
    • Copy common/install-recovery.sh to /system/etc/install-recovery.sh (0755 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
    • Create symlink from /system/bin/install-recovery.sh to /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    • Copy arm64/su to /system/xbin/su (0755 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
    • Copy arm64/su to /system/xbin/daemonsu (0755 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
    • Copy arm64/supolicy to /system/xbin/supolicy (0755 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
    • Copy arm64/libsupol.so to /system/lib64/libsupol.so (0644 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)
    • Move /system/bin/app_process to /system/bin/app_process_backup
    • Create symlink from /system/bin/app_process to /system/xbin/daemonsu
    • Create an empty file at /system/etc/.installed_su_daemon (0644 u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0)

That's it! Now properly unmount and eject your SD card and boot up your device.

6. Testing and Cleanup
    If all goes well you'll find a SuperSU app on your homescreen. Run it and it will probably tell you to update the su binary. Do so, restart, and then you should have root! Congrats! Make sure to go into settings and set it to grant rather than prompt.

Power down your device, unplug the cables, flip the board, desolder the wires, flip the board again, plug in the cables, put your camera back in, and then screw it all back together and slap on the back cover. You did it!

Extra Info and Troubleshooting

I will add troubleshooting steps here as time goes on.

Should you need them, here are the eMMC dumps from the 16GB and 32GB variants:
    This is beautiful!!! :) I have to get some basic supplies, but I am excited to try this out! I'd just about given up hope that this device would ever be rooted, but you made it happen! :) Definitely not the easiest root process, but maybe it will eventually lead to easier ways to obtain root. Thank you again for your hard work and dedication (and to everyone else as well!) on this!! :D ??

Haha yay! It makes me happy to see people excited over this. That's what I was hoping for in the long run. I saw the progress thread struggling and thought I could try and help out on the hardware side. It turned out to be a hobby I never knew I needed; something to look forward to each day that made my life a little more exciting. I'm really proud of how far we've come :)

And you're right, it's definitely not the easiest. I want to make a video tutorial sometime. I have little experience making video tutorials so we'll see.
    Hello again,

root confirmed. My problem was not using the "-r" option for the symlink creation.
    A root checker app confirmed root of the tablet but i can't see the SuperSu.apk on my homescreen.

Thanks alot for everything.
    ElPeWe

Thanks so much for this comment - had everything working in the guide then got stuck at the Fire logo on re-boot. Needed 'ln -r' to get symlink working.

Fire successfully rooted - got there eventually - see photo for output to 'su' in terminal editor. Awesome. Can't wait to de-bloat tomorrow!

Many thanks to <br /> (and everyone else who help achieve this) - great mod - most difficult for me was Part 3 'Hardware mod' - once everything soldered properly comms with PC was actually quite straightforward.

:cowboy::cowboy::cowboy:
    I looked into rooting my kidd fire 8 a few months ago in order to install a better experience and discovered the lack of root. So instead i end up doing the nova, launcher block method another parent did and after a month i pulled it off cause it was just so janky. So i look again yesterday to look into options and low and behold.

Then i read, "you'll need a soldering iron" in the instructions which caused me to start laughing hysterically, alarming my family. Not that I have issues soldering, as an audio engineer soldering and I go way back.

Its funny because......

HOW IN THE **** UNDER ALL THAT IS HOLY DID YOU ALL DISCOVER THIS? I read XDA daily and i wasn't even aware of roots that required modifying the hardware beyond the old AMD chips and using pencil graphite to reconnect to traces. Wow, just ****ing wow.
    My kindle fire HD 8 7th Gen is completely bricked, one day it ran out of battery and now i get nothing from it, my PC only sees the boot loader for a few seconds and the screen never turns on, amazon will only give me a 10% discount on my next kindle fire so its doing nothing for me, could I use this method to fix it by flashing the stock eMMC file to it?

Yes, but only if the cause of the brick is firmware corruption... which doesn't seem likely. But even then, I think it's worth trying since you have nothing to lose.