Performance Monitor for VAG cars (work in progress)

Search This thread

me__

Feb 4, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21
I'm working on a v2 for the app. Currently I'm struggling with the latest version of Martoreto's AA stats which doesn't give me any data...
You don't get any data because there is no updated aauto-vex-vag version. The latest available build and source code of vex-vag is using aauto-vex-base 3.1. This is the version before schema was introduced.
Your last apk release (45B) also used version 3.1 of base so if you install it and run, it gets the data from latest aauto-vex-vag (2.2 release) without any issues, as they both share the same vex-base.
But since you have updated the gradle to link to newer version of aauto-vex-base (v4.3) the app uses the updated version (including e.g. the schema concept) to get data from aauto-vex-vag, which the latter does not yet implement and thus is unable to provide data in proper form to the app.
You should also be able to see the line "Provider schema elements count: 0" in logcat, which proves that the app is not able to get any schema information from the vex-vag.

Reactions: Chillout

Chillout

Jul 15, 2008
You don't get any data because there is no updated aauto-vex-vag version. The latest available build and source code of vex-vag is using aauto-vex-base 3.1. This is the version before schema was introduced.
Your last apk release (45B) also used version 3.1 of base so if you install it and run, it gets the data from latest aauto-vex-vag (2.2 release) without any issues, as they both share the same vex-base.
But since you have updated the gradle to link to newer version of aauto-vex-base (v4.3) the app uses the updated version (including e.g. the schema concept) to get data from aauto-vex-vag, which the latter does not yet implement and thus is unable to provide data in proper form to the app.
You should also be able to see the line "Provider schema elements count: 0" in logcat, which proves that the app is not able to get any schema information from the vex-vag.
Damn, can't believe I didn't think of that! So we need a new vex-vag as well... I'll contact Martoreto.

Thanks!

Reactions: lukesan

Chillout

Jul 15, 2008
All right, I've made an anti-freeze fix!!

I've got a couple of Android Studio quirks I need to iron out. But...... soon there will be a new version which will (hopefully) not crash!

Reactions: sports02 and cioce

sports02

Sep 26, 2018
Possible expansion

This is absolutely fantastic development chillout. Looks great, but looks like because im on the old MIB platform (MK6 Golf 2010) with RCD 330 I dont think it will be able to read the data from the car - please correct me if I am wrong. Do you think there is a possibility of pulling data from OBD2 like the OBD2AA app but with this layout and design, as it is far superior and cleaner? Again, awesome work ! :D

Reactions: arturkin

me__

Feb 4, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21
haha yes

Currently, I'm hating on gradle BIG TIME, since it's ruining the compilation process
Have you found any way to work with AAuto sdk using Android Build Tools 28? I think that the sdk itself is the source of the values that cause issues for 28 ('inner element must either be a resource reference or empty'). I was able to downgrade gradle to 3.0.1 and then use buildToolsVersion to 27.0.3 but I guess this is not a real solution.

Chillout

Jul 15, 2008
Have you found any way to work with AAuto sdk using Android Build Tools 28? I think that the sdk itself is the source of the values that cause issues for 28 ('inner element must either be a resource reference or empty'). I was able to downgrade gradle to 3.0.1 and then use buildToolsVersion to 27.0.3 but I guess this is not a real solution.
Glad to read that I'm not the only one running into this issue. Maybe we should update the Sdk. I forked Martoreto's SDK.
I'll try the downgrade...had no luck with v28. Thanks!

Chillout

Jul 15, 2008
Updates coming up!!!

- New OEM-style themes (Skoda Virtual Cockpit, some for Audi and one specific for the new Cupra brand)
- More optimal scaling of the clocks, also for 9.2" screen
- Optional showing values next to the ticks, so the needles are no longer just for show
- More clean "rays" display
- Improved performance
- More OEM-style font options

Quick sneak peek from the car:
4c94ce3c743ffc3ccc337df476843a5c.jpg

More improvements will come in the upcoming days, and I'll release after more testing. I'm planning on adding Tyre pressure/state display, nav heading, Altitude and maaaaaaaaaaaaybe I'll add a theme that will change depending on your car's ambient color.

vagg

Oct 2, 2012
Rishon
Cant wait for next update @Chillout

Maybe someone can help me here.
The app is working great until i turn waze on, after that the app stops showing info.
Just stucks.
Sometimes it works for a sec and stops again.
Thanks.

Last edited:

lukesan

May 1, 2009
Is there a program or way to just show this on the phone? Google's cat and mouse of disabling all 3rd party app is a bit annoying.
Yes I have a ODB2 connector but I would rather gather the info via the usb channel.

Chillout

Jul 15, 2008
Cant wait for next update @Chillout

Maybe someone can help me here.
The app is working great until i turn waze on, after that the app stops showing info.
Just stucks.
Sometimes it works for a sec and stops again.
Thanks.

Good question. It probably loses the connection when switching apps. I'll look into this.

Is there a program or way to just show this on the phone? Google's cat and mouse of disabling all 3rd party app is a bit annoying.
Yes I have a ODB2 connector but I would rather gather the info via the usb channel.

Try Carlyze. It picks up the data over WLAN and it works like a charm!:cool:

Reactions: lukesan

Chillout

Jul 15, 2008
Reactions: cioce

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I'm building an app for use with Android Auto, which is capable of displaying and graphing car sensor data, without the need for an OBD2 dongle or any other hardware besides your phone and the infotainment system.
    48626461-322c1380-e9b2-11e8-990a-b380c43f93e1.png

It has a lot of data elements available. Development progress was previously discussed in an other topic, but since that grew to 28 pages, I decided to make one with a clear title.

Disclaimer:
    Building this is not my daytime job, and I'm not selling this for money, it's all free. The app is open source, and the source can be found on github. Feel free to contribute. Be patient when requesting new stuff. Don't hate me (or VW) when something isn't working on your car. The app will not void your warranty. Be safe when using it during driving.

Download:
    Download the latest release here https://github.com/jilleb/mqb-pm/releases. Be sure to read the readme on https://github.com/jilleb/mqb-pm

Known issues:
    • Results vary from car to car: Not each car shares all data elements.
    • Results vary from firmware version to firmware version: Not each version allows data communication. Using Torque will enable additional data elements!
    • DO NOT UPDATE TO ANDROID AUTO V3! Custom Apps will NOT work, unless you use a 3rd party app enabler.
    • Looking at the screen too much when driving the car is dangerous.
    • Do not update the settings when connected to the car.
    Be sure to check the github page for specific information in case you have other issues.

Changelog:
    v0.7B

• Graphs! Tap on a clock and a graph will show up. Tap it again and it will go away
      51400000-96508c80-1b47-11e9-8761-fb7e401d1b4a.gif
    • Title bar with useful info like current location, outside temperature and time
    • Replaced bubble notification sound
    • New theme: Ford Mustang GT
    • New theme: Dark (my own design)
    • New font: United Sans (works nicely with the Ford theme)
    • Ambient background color on Lines and Dots wallpapers
    • Wallpaper selection option added
    • Fix: bar/psi display
    • Fix: fahrenheit/celcius display for Torque data elements
    • Fix: Improvements to Skoda themes
    • Fix: Improvements to VW themes
    • Fix: Several fixes with unit display on clocks

Changelog previous versions:
    v0.6B
    • Torque support (so now you can use an OBD2 bluetooth dongle if you have Torque). Make sure you enable full plugin access in Torque settings, otherwise the Performance Monitor will not see any data.
    • Touch the center clock to reset min/max values
    • Classic Beetle theme (in case you're feeling nostalgic)
    • New way of displaying min/max values
    • Improved layout
    • New data elements
    • Many many many performance fixes
    • Removed the graph feature for a moment, it will return in the future

v0.5B
    • New: Added altitude clock + element
    • New: Allow indicators to be non-ImageIndicator in some themes
    • New: Optional display of numbers on clocks
    • New: Audi TT theme
    • New: Celcius/Fahrenheit unit display added
    • New: Elements show "-" when no data
    • New: MIB2-style theme
    • New: Minimalistic theme
    • New: No red mark on clocks for data elements that don't have dangerous high values
    • New: Optional ambient colors for needles, if car/theme supports it
    • New: Optional ambient colors for rays, if car/theme supports it
    • New: Oreo Support
    • New: Skoda Virtual Cockpit theme
    • New: Tank level clocks added
    • New: Test theme (for scale troubleshooting)
    • New: VW Digit font
    • New: Skoda font
    • New: Larabie font
    • Fix: Added missing Cupra drawable
    • Fix: Cleaned up Skoda dial graphics
    • Fix: Dynamic needle scaling for use in different resolutions
    • Fix: Enlarged dials to 275 for optimal use of screen size
    • Fix: Improved margin on clocks
    • Fix: Increased max voltage to 16V
    • Fix: Increased min max G forces to -3 and 3
    • Fix: Updated needle drawables to work with dynamic scaling
    • Fix: Wait until staging animation is done before displaying data
    • Fix: Removed: Measurements view
    • Fix: Removed: Seat Kombi font
    • Fix: MANY more, 6 months of small fixes

v0.45B
    • New: Font option. (note: Seat Kombi is nice, but currently causes overlapping in min/max)
    • New: Start/pause in graph
    • New: Outside temperature available in clocks
    • New: Gear recommendation and Gear indicator merged
    • New: Italian language
    • New: MQB Coding theme
    • Fix: Czech language improvements
    • Fix: Spanish language improvements
    • Fix: (Hopefully) fixing the app slowing down/crashing after some time
    • Fix: Output power showing as Nm instead of Kw
    • Fix: Gearbox oil temperature graph
    New fonts:
    KiwZuzL.png

v0.44B:
    • Fix: Crash when having Gear recommendation selected

v0.43B:
    • New: German translation (early version)
    • New: Russian translation (thanks to @mikhailkozlov )
    • New: Dutch translation
    • New: Spanish translation (thanks to @javigody)
    • New: Realtime graph for 1 selectable data element, with configurable update frequency
    • Fix: Cleaned up Skoda dial backgrounds
    • Fix: Current Gear indicator
    • Fix: English Spelling (thanks to @mikhailkozlov)
    • Fix: @string/psi and @string/bar display on the clocks
    • Fix: Crashing stopwatch and credits

v0.42B:
    • New: Acceleration/brake indicator display optional
    • New: Added Cupra Division theme
    • New: Added Tesla theme
    • New: Retro style theme
    • New: Max-min value display is now split into 2 options: display values and display marks on the clock
    • Fix: Fixed crash when no temperature data is available
    • Fix: Wheel angle clock display
    • Fix: Removed Fahrenheit and Celcius for the time being
    • Fix: Improved G-force icons
    • Fix: Textviews with G-force, degrees, percentage and Volts are now functional
    • Fix: Improved Clubsport theme
    • Fix: Gearbox temperature clock
    • Fix: Various other small bugs and issues
    • Fix: Code cleanup
    • Fix: Moved strings to strings.xml, for easier translation (new languages will be in a future version)

v0.40B:
    • Fix: Added all missing code for data elements on the 4 data views
    • Fix: The 4 textviews should now be functional.
    • Fix: Set RPM textview to have no decimals
    • Fix: Fixed a bug with EcoHMI_Score
    • Fix: Handling NoRecommendation on recommendedGear

v0.39B
    • New: Added Skoda ONE theme
    • New: Added Consumption data to clocks
    • New: Added Recommended Gear to text elements
    • New: Needles go invisible in high-visibility mode (you don't need them there)
    • Fix: Acceleratorposition clock value
    • Fix: correctly escape ' character
    • Fix: Improved some icons
    • Fix: Credits screen
    • Fix: Added stopwatch background for Audi themes
    • Fix: Improved Audi needle

v0.38B:
    • New: Added Consumption data to clocks
    • New: Added Recommended Gear to text elements
    • Fix: Correctly escaped ' character in "G's"

If it doesn't work while it did work in a previous version, try an older version of aauto-vex-vag:
    https://github.com/martoreto/aauto-vex-vag/releases

Screenshots
    v0.7B, new themes:
    51399499-694faa00-1b46-11e9-8026-5238e2bca41a.png

51399566-8ab09600-1b46-11e9-87f9-f4a78f1a064c.png

V0.6B:
    Cn4XbIR.png

Earlier versions:
    g8J8whV.png

OfO3jpb.png

0jm310L.png
    This app is no longer support by developer ;(

:(
    hopefully maybe someone will continue development...

I started working on it again, but google rejected my submission from the Play store... It's a lot of work to support the users (who can sometimes be loud and very unfriendly) when there's no single official channel where I can share the app and gather feedback... And maybe monetize it in some way. But frankly, the personal cost of maintaining it in my free time is too high to keep going on.

Guys, a few questions. Does that still works with the newest android auto update? Also, is this possible with the wireless connection or cable only? And finally, this is for VW cars ONLY or we can use it with any car using a OBD2 dongle? I have a Hyundai, I was wondering if it would work with the dongle as the OP says it works with the dongle, but I'm not sure if the car still needs to be VW...

Hello! Is it possibile to use aa-stats on Ford models?

Yes you can. You will not get the Vag specific data but with TorqueBHP app, you can get data from OBD
    Updates coming up!!!

- New OEM-style themes (Skoda Virtual Cockpit, some for Audi and one specific for the new Cupra brand)
    - More optimal scaling of the clocks, also for 9.2" screen
    - Optional showing values next to the ticks, so the needles are no longer just for show
    - More clean "rays" display
    - Improved performance
    - More OEM-style font options

Quick sneak peek from the car:
    4c94ce3c743ffc3ccc337df476843a5c.jpg

More improvements will come in the upcoming days, and I'll release after more testing. I'm planning on adding Tyre pressure/state display, nav heading, Altitude and maaaaaaaaaaaaybe I'll add a theme that will change depending on your car's ambient color.
    @Chillout
    Could you please be back to update the app and fix the old freeze problem?

Thanks to @manudroid19 and its new app https://xdaforums.com/android-auto/...p-android-auto-3rd-party-app-enabler-t3853009 we can use Performance Monitor again!!!
    I'm working on a v2 for the app. Currently I'm struggling with the latest version of Martoreto's AA stats which doesn't give me any data... But as soon as it does, there will be a new version. I'm planning to keep it clean and simple, so I might not include all the various theme options at first.

I have a Seat Ibiza FR 2018 with all the MirrorLink and Android auto Bell's and whistles. In this scenario would your app work out of the box on a rooted phone or would it need some kind of device access the cars information. Also, are you still actively developing it? If so, you should consider asking for donations to develop it. I know I would..

Yes I am still developing it, but not at a very high pace because of having a very busy life at the moment. I put up a donations link on golfmk7.com and I got 2 donations. Maybe I should do the same here, but this increases the pressure for me to get it working, and provide support for questions like "hey can you tell me how to install it?" [emoji28]

About your ibiza: just follow the instructions in the Readme and you're good to go. No extra hardware needed.
    Hi chillout, I have my own versión , in my version you can change between the diferents information types clicking in each gauge . because i like your app i will try to implement the clicking funcionality over your code..

My app looks like that.