Search This thread

donkeykong1

Aug 6, 2012
Sesvete, Zagreb
They needed a fresh start from the release on the htc 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

I got an Apple Watch couple weeks ago and I love it. Keep my phone on silent always and the watch just vibrates on my hand when I get a notification. I just love this watch; especially theatre mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

I got an Apple Watch couple weeks ago and I love it. Keep my phone on silent always and the watch just vibrates on my hand when I get a notification. I just love this watch; especially theatre mode
You do realize that every smartwatch on the market does that, do you? I have Suunto Spartan that works just as you described on my M7, 10, and now on my U12+
So what's your point here? Apple invented notifications on a smartwatch?

DaveedDB

Nov 11, 2013
Bridgetown
You do realize that every smartwatch on the market does that, do you? I have Suunto Spartan that works just as you described on my M7, 10, and now on my U12+
So what's your point here? Apple invented notifications on a smartwatch?
I was trying to understand to but I didn't bother to waste time commenting,he just wanted to show us his new watch I guess lol, don't those cheap $10 Android watches do similar to ?

LibertyMonger

Mar 13, 2011
Cincinnati
It's a shame. So much potential for great development with the HTC U12+ but all the great dev's placed their bets on the Pixel poser and the cheap OnePlus alternative but in the end we just have a mess of nothing.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
It's a shame. So much potential for great development with the HTC U12+ but all the great dev's placed their bets on the Pixel poser and the cheap OnePlus alternative but in the end we just have a mess of nothing.

That's not an accurate statement, at least from/about the developers I know. The reason they moved on was a lack of interest mostly. Up until the M8, the developers would get 10s of thousands of downloads for their work. By the U11, they would get maybe 1000. With the U12+ it is much worse.
The reason they aren't developing for HTC devices now is that nobody buys them anymore, and the satisfaction and drive to keep up development for HTC has waned. They don't have that "people want my stuff" feeling that would want them to keep going with it.
If HTC phones aren't selling, and you want to develop ROMs/kenels/themes/mods, you'll start developing for something that will be used by people. HTC devices aren't being used by many anymore, so they will move on to something that people will use.
Also, with the imminent downfall of HTC, a lot of those developers are just like normal consumers. They'll move on to a different product like everyone else is doing.
For an example, the U12+ came out Treble enabled, correct? Why doesn't it have Pie yet?

high_voltage

Jun 7, 2011
just compare the S8 to the S9 official launch prices, virtually the exact same device to see the big picture
So much this! The s9 is just a small refinements, but in the most it's totally the same device and totally the same experience using it. From software, to features, to productivity, to everything - small things that are rarely used even if cool or not that game changing. For example dual speakers, but I really don't find the sound a lot better vs the s7e single speaker and that should tell you something. Super slo-mo is cool, but you will leave without those videos, little bit higher 4G speed... like we reached the old ones anyway and so on. The changing aperture is cool, but google proved that software/AI is the way not that much the hardware. What's higher? The price!!!

When apple charged 1000$ for the iphone X you got really different experience from all the phones in the history... even iphones. It was super high price point, but you really felt the premium so to speak. That's why they stoped the X production as it was the only real rival to XS. Just most people already had t he X (and thus didn't switch) or found the X after the announcement as it was cheaper same. The result? Apple stocks dropped like crazy, they stopped revealing sold devices, they lowered the requested XS/XS max and XR while considering again restoring X production. People are "dumb" , but not that much and every year more and more even having money people understands that it's not worth to put money into the same experience and features - few gimmicks. The XR is all and cool if it was 1080p screen atleast or priced A LOT lower. Why you would take the XR if you can take the X for lower actually? I mean, seriously... 720p on 6.1 inch device in 2018? How much cost them that crappy screen and how much they think people are stupid to lose their mind of some random name that has nothing to do with technology? Liquid my a$$.

And then all the android manufacturers without even replicating the X different experience and category, just put it's price stamp like people will have interest... well, if I got the s8 (especially the sd version), I would defo NOT change it for the s9. Even the S7e for S9, I changed it for the note 9 that is more of a computer than a phone + playing diablo 2 LOD with stylus is quite satisfying actually. :D

And last there are manufacturers creating products like POCO f1, like NEX that are creating great products and value! People continue to say "china, china" like their phone is not coming from there or it's 1995 when all china products was super bad, especially phones. Well, it's not and the companies behind those products are far from poor or unexperienced. I don't mention the huawei as they started to act like they own the market... soon will feel the price points and software experience backfiring to them. Oneplus is also not mentioned.. they totally lost their way and increased their phones cost from great value and phones to expensive ones. The opo 6T is more than twice the opo that stormed the mobile world. They remind me of HTC... tho HTC's got really a lot greater product and software for it's time. But same thing - starting to remove features, to offer less, to not evolve the software and pricing higher and higher without anything to back it up. Removing the headphones jack after 5m after they have a pool where basically all the people says they want headphones jack (+use it to mock the competitors and hype their opo 6) and then instead of improving the quality of the DAC/AMP + put dual high quality speakers... they remove the headphones jack entirely. That's how you do it! :D

DeeZZ_NuuZZ

May 16, 2012
Hanover
HTC 10
Google Pixel 3 XL
That's not an accurate statement, at least from/about the developers I know. The reason they moved on was a lack of interest mostly. Up until the M8, the developers would get 10s of thousands of downloads for their work. By the U11, they would get maybe 1000. With the U12+ it is much worse.
The reason they aren't developing for HTC devices now is that nobody buys them anymore, and the satisfaction and drive to keep up development for HTC has waned. They don't have that "people want my stuff" feeling that would want them to keep going with it.
If HTC phones aren't selling, and you want to develop ROMs/kenels/themes/mods, you'll start developing for something that will be used by people. HTC devices aren't being used by many anymore, so they will move on to something that people will use.
Also, with the imminent downfall of HTC, a lot of those developers are just like normal consumers. They'll move on to a different product like everyone else is doing.
For an example, the U12+ came out Treble enabled, correct? Why doesn't it have Pie yet?
I wouldn't say that no one buys them, each colour was sold out a period of time.
Just because of treble, it doesn't mean updates will be immediately done. HTC still has their own framework, for edge sense, speakers and more. So there is more to do than just some compiling, plus they don't have as much developers as before that's why it might take a little while, but I guess u11 and u12+ will get it soon, then u11+ and u12 life

Sent from my HTC U12+ using XDA Labs

liam_davenport

Apr 17, 2014
Wakefield
HTC Desire
HTC One X+

Other brands support open source better, OnePlus is fast with the sources always released before the device is out and come with the OTA's same can't be said for HTC and not to mention HTC is not popular, Development is a lot of work and if no one is buying the device no reason to waste your time. I could build AOSP for the U11 but I know no one will use it as it didn't sell well so I have no initiative to post..

Maybe if HTC improve their source code keep it on time and upload to github developers might be interested.

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org

That's about right. HTC is a big hassle to support, and most Devs aren't going to put in hundreds of hours of work for 100-200 users. OnePlus is much less hassle to support and has many thousands of users, constant feedback and updates.

hemal_s33

Feb 16, 2011
I was on HTC 10 for last 1 year and purposely did not upgrade because of glass phones.
My father's M8 mini died so had to give my HTC 10 to him.

Decided to buy Nokia 6.1 plus as a standby phone till I wait for the next phone, and to my surprise this is an excellent phone. Build quality is top notch. (Old Nokia). Phone size is almost same as HTC 10 which makes one hand use very easy.

For daily use 636 is snappy. You don't feel it is lagging anywhere and with GCam port camera results are good. Battery life is insane for daily use and it is already running Android Pie.

Waiting for what Nokia will offer in the flagship range this year.

Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
I was on HTC 10 for last 1 year and purposely did not upgrade because of glass phones.

Decided to buy Nokia 6.1 plus as a standby phone till I wait for the next phone, and to my surprise this is an excellent phone. Build quality is top notch. (Old Nokia). Phone size is almost same as HTC 10 which makes one hand use very easy.

For daily use 636 is snappy. You don't feel it is lagging anywhere and with GCam port camera results are good. Battery life is insane for daily use and it is already running Android Pie.

i tried the nokia sirocco, an s835 device and to my utter horror the settings area was running at 30fps

what the hell is wrong with Android makers, its beyond me really

ijuanp03

Mar 26, 2010

This is what my first gen Moto 360 has been doing since it got released. The vibrate thing and theatre mode and all.

While the silent notification on phone and vibrate on the watch is a standard feature even before Android Wear gets into the market.
My cuckoo smartwatch does this but only to notify me since it only displays icons.

No hate here but this is what other Apple fans (not you) have been thinking everytime they get a "new tech" in their ecosystem. :D

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

I wouldn't say that no one buys them, each colour was sold out a period of time.
Just because of treble, it doesn't mean updates will be immediately done. HTC still has their own framework, for edge sense, speakers and more. So there is more to do than just some compiling, plus they don't have as much developers as before

And that is why treble was created, my friend but HTC still can't deliver. What is their excuse why my U11+ is stuck with December 2017 security patch?
My Nokia 6.1 Plus has been running Pie for almost 2 months. Nokia have a handful of models this year but still they didn't give any excuse.

Not enough dev? Could be. I'm a software tester and project timelines do exist. We wouldn't know how long they plan to complete their development and testing but I assure you there is a way if they really want to bring the update early or let the users wait.

Last edited:

DeeZZ_NuuZZ

May 16, 2012
Hanover
HTC 10
Google Pixel 3 XL
This is what my first gen Moto 360 has been doing since it got released. The vibrate thing and theatre mode and all.

While the silent notification on phone and vibrate on the watch is a standard feature even before Android Wear gets into the market.
My cuckoo smartwatch does this but only to notify me since it only displays icons.

No hate here but this is what other Apple fans (not you) have been thinking everytime they get a "new tech" in their ecosystem. :D

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

And that is why treble was created, my friend but HTC still can't deliver. What is their excuse why my U11+ is stuck with December 2017 security patch?
My Nokia 6.1 Plus has been running Pie for almost 2 months. Nokia have a handful of models this year but still they didn't give any excuse.

Not enough dev? Could be. I'm a software tester and project timelines do exist. We wouldn't know how long they plan to complete their development and testing but I assure you there is a way if they really want to bring the update early or let the users wait.
You still don't get, that the u11+ is NOT a flagship device and thus it takes place behind the u11 and u12+? Though the u11+ will get an update in WWE soon too, Taiwan was already released, or will be released very soon.
Yeah treble is made for it (a-only is still only a little bit better, than no treble and a/b is the "real" treble)

jmitr

May 18, 2008
Castlegar
You still don't get, that the u11+ is NOT a flagship device and thus it takes place behind the u11 and u12+? Though the u11+ will get an update in WWE soon too, Taiwan was already released, or will be released very soon.
Yeah treble is made for it (a-only is still only a little bit better, than no treble and a/b is the "real" treble)

It is only not a flagship in name only.

The desire series turned into their midrange and budget level devices.

The U11+ is a flagship in terms of specs. Samsung at least nailed the "mid season refresh" with the Note series.

HTC seemed like they were initially trying the same thing (Desire HD, One X+, One Max, U ultra, U11+ and many others). Ultimately like their branding strategy inconsistency and confusion was the name of the game instead.

But we are beating a dead horse here. I am still very happy with my purchase but unless HTC becomes better in the support department (or at least as good as they used to be) my next purchase will most likely be a Pixel.

I would link to numerous articles that say Google would like to see security updates more numerous or mandatory, but a dead horse is a dead horse!

Sent from my HTC U11 plus using Tapatalk

DeeZZ_NuuZZ

May 16, 2012
Hanover
HTC 10
Google Pixel 3 XL
It is only not a flagship in name only.

The desire series turned into their midrange and budget level devices.

The U11+ is a flagship in terms of specs. Samsung at least nailed the "mid season refresh" with the Note series.

HTC seemed like they were initially trying the same thing (Desire HD, One X+, One Max, U ultra, U11+ and many others). Ultimately like their branding strategy inconsistency and confusion was the name of the game instead.

But we are beating a dead horse here. I am still very happy with my purchase but unless HTC becomes better in the support department (or at least as good as they used to be) my next purchase will most likely be a Pixel.

I would link to numerous articles that say Google would like to see security updates more numerous or mandatory, but a dead horse is a dead horse!
It will get better ;) HTC smartphone division is undergoing a "major reconstruction" behind the scenes, this also takes some time and man power.
Just wait and see :) drink tea in the meantime ?

steelmaggot

Mar 8, 2012
Mansfield,NOTTS
My LG G Watch R also shows notifications, all smart watches do, its not something new that apple has invented

Attachments

• IMG_20181128_192814.jpg
    IMG_20181128_192814.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 338

jmitr

May 18, 2008
Castlegar
It will get better ;) HTC smartphone division is undergoing a "major reconstruction" behind the scenes, this also takes some time and man power.
Just wait and see :) drink tea in the meantime [emoji16]

I prefer coffee or wiskey, but my Wife drinks tea so I'll have some with her!

Except for my brief Note 7 / S7E disaster, purchasing an original Moto G for my Dad, and replacing it with an Essential then buying a second I have been with HTC since the Kaiser.

I hope you're right about them turning around, if not Pixel 4 it is!

Sent from my HTC U11 plus using Tapatalk

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator

I've heard and read very conflicting things about that phone.

People said that it starts lagging horribly after you got more than a few apps installed, then after a couple of months if you haven't done a reset it starts freezing and rebooting on its own.

Take from that what you will but I thought about trying one of the S600 devices but its probably best to wait till S700 comes along.

Honestly, I wish Nokia would stop messing about with mid-range watered down stuff and actually give us an interesting flagship.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    update 11/4/2016: the render are extremely close, official HTC 3D renders

HTC 10 / One M10 / Perfume 3D Renders - dual tone metallic colors (original date 16/3/2016)

click for bigger size

Black

Silver

Glacier

original model was provided by temp64GTX and I have corrected it overall, its now accurate from all sides, in the upcoming days ill post more colors and other angles

these are the changes on top of the original turbosquid model:

- front chamfer higher and less thick
    - rear chamfer bigger
    - camera location
    - nav buttons size and location
    - screen size
    - bezel
    - slimmer side
    - added black protective frame around the screen
    - raised 2.5d glass
    - removed the top right hole, its not hole, its a strip
    - added the right tray

corrections are based on my my latest measurements
    here we go, after a week of hell, this finally landed here today (TW 32GB)

photos taken by the M9S:

ChaDaENU0AEKfRF.jpg:large

ChaDXz-U0AAVCnD.jpg:large

ChaERDXUkAEMW6A.jpg:large

ChaEN1pUgAEAGZj.jpg:large

ChaETxCU8AAhAP7.jpg:large

ChaETw6UgAA0Qxm.jpg:large

ChaDZeqUgAAcr_t.jpg:large

my 10 rave fitbag arrives on Tuesday but my trusty old M8 one works as well

I need to express my thanks for @imOJ for all the trouble he went through to help me get this, this guy rocks and i love Dubai!

phenomenal build quality, this must be the first time i've unboxed an HTC flagships with zero QC quirks, despite all the beauty shots and my work on the 3D render it still hit me, the buttons are simply insane like an expensive piece of machinery, the chamfer makes the phone feels so slim and the weight is the same for M8 / M9 carriers, the grey and the black 2.5D glass combo is simple drool inducing, those getting the silver white are making a huge mistake, there are no plastics to be seen and even the plastic patch on top is awesome

the box looks the same as the M9 from the outside but the inside is fancier, soft coated and much better organized, all the included stuff QC 3.0 charger, earbuds and Type-C cable feels much fancier than previous devices, by the time you finish unboxing one conclusion is clear, this is new chapter for HTC

the camera out of box is nothing like we've seen lately so i've skipped testing it and installing 1.30 before i touch it

the screen is on the surface and anyone thinking otherwise is lying to himself, the screen looks pinkish out of box for few reasons: auto brightness and the vivid mode, i have spent half an hour testing various settings, angles and doing comparisons which i will show you tomorrow but for now: I have strong evidence that this a matter of glue, actually its right there in @jmitr photos ;)

once you raise the brightness to full and change your settings the screen will impress, i agree with David Ruddock, Vivid mode sucks! it's almost disgusting so i have switched to sRGB mode which is gorgeous and the temp slider to full cold, never seen such good whites, even with sRGB it's still greatly saturated vs M9, in short with sRGB this is extremely close to the iPhone, the coolest bit? using it at full brightness with auto disabled doesnt warm the screen at all (suggesting that the screen brightness is capped with the real full reserved for the sun)

ghosting...sadly its true, its a regression from the M9 but hey i've spent the year fighting with everyone here who refused to believe that the M9 screen is much better versus the M8 in terms of smoothness feel ie: refresh rate, so if you worship the M8 screen you will have no problem as the 10 is better than the M8 just not as good as the M9 in terms of ghosting

speakers: OMG, just ignore all the non sense you've read, its LOUD, louder than the M9 and the sound is much crisper, its just not dimensional like the M9 but its clearer and louder from every angle, finally music mode makes the difference, it sounds like stereo, the default theatre mode is inferior to the M9, we have yet another incident of reviewers being too lazy to switch a stupid setting

more tomorrow
    I have decided to show you this, my mockup of the M10, because i don't want to give Evan the pleasure of spoiling the M10 for us, like he did with that God awful washed out photo he has released, here is my render of the M10 which i had made earlier but now corrected to measurements after Evan's front reveal, this is made from all the insider information i have of the M10

note: this mockup does not show the hidden thing on the front ;)

you can really understand the codename now, this is the cleanest most symmetrical phone HTC ever made, it contains the essence of HTC but fulfils everything the press has been asking for
    - no logo bar
    - improved screen to body ratio hence its expect to have the same size as M9 with bigger screen, 5.2"
    - AOSP like UX
    - heavy loaded camera hardware

update v2: refined render with corrected rear camera size, fingerprint shape and clearer bezel
    update v3: fractionally wider in order to perfectly fit the M9+ 5.2" screen proportions and every sensor on the front including the speaker was readjusted to match the evleak photo, brighter colors, fixed broken front USB center on v2
    update v4: adjusted fingerprint shape based on evidence of alternate prototype, so it could be either v3 or v4 as two prototypes exist
    update v5: bigger rear camera and flash/IR, antenna's location corrected based on latest leak, FP scanner, speaker, front camera and proximity corrected using the white photo
    update v5a with Sense 8 mock-up: trying to show case how the M10 looks with black wallpaper thanks to Amoled and Sense 8 colors, Desire 825 capacitive buttons plus color tweaks here and there for better looks
    update v6a: added the back chamfer matching the silver leak, hence rear camera combo gets smaller just a bit and the side tapers approach M9
    update v7a: back chamfer is now more solid
    update v8: added real Sense 8 icons

update 4/3/2016: the official M10 render was leaked, comparison with my mock-ups over here

My pre-leak mock-up vs official leaked render by evleaks

HamdiR
    25132872419_f3aee6985a_c.jpg

Evleaks
    CctlCzJXIAAInqV.jpg:large

HTC One M10 - codename Perfume mock up renders

M10/Perfume - mock-up render v8 with Sense 8 mock-up
    25132872419_cdaf8c1164_o_d.png

M10/Perfume - mock-up render v7a with Sense 8 mock-up
    25249159236_5bbb0473e9_o.png

M10/Perfume - mock-up render v7a
    25182266821_0eaa1b0185_o.png

M10/Perfume - mock-up render v6a with Sense 8 mock-up
    25233074966_968a5affba_o_d.png

M10/Perfume - mock-up render v6a
    24632535283_c427d0d514_o_d.png

M10/Perfume - mock-up render v5a with Sense 8 mock-up
    25213771575_831dbf900b_o_d.png

M10/Perfume - mock-up render v5a
    24527887143_da8ccba3b5_o.png

M10/Perfume - mock-up render v5b
    24859062680_408688d900_o.png

M10/Perfume - mock-up render v4
    24935718752_3b7f8de816_o.png

M10/Perfume - mock-up render v3
    25018080936_59874b56ca_o.png

M10/Perfume - mock-up render v2
    24659884049_887fdd1944_o.png

M10/Perfume - mock-up render v1
    24492653859_0616fd0ba6_b.jpg

A9/Aero - official render
    24834045916_60ebf5524c_b.jpg

M9/Hima - official render
    24564812280_225b6c7f48_b.jpg

M10's bezel improvements vs the A9 (sense screenshot from A9)
    24233394313_df7d60fcc4_b.jpg

and this cutout to give you an idea of the back curvature and edges
    24860538315_e5d0e84386_o.png

here we can see the metallic bumper accessory, how v5 was corrected and comparison between A9/M9/M10
    25128441986_4f7c869f6a_c.jpg

25128462286_58ef62d23f_c.jpg

24528353623_3460c7e04d_c.jpg
    HTC 10 / One M10 / Perfume 3D Renders - Black

click for bigger size

original model was provided by temp64GTX and I have corrected it overall, its now accurate from all sides, in the upcoming days ill post more colors and other angles

these are the changes on top of the original turbosquid model:

- front chamfer higher and less thick
    - rear chamfer bigger
    - camera location
    - nav buttons size and location
    - screen size
    - bezel
    - slimmer side
    - added black protective frame around the screen
    - raised 2.5d glass
    - removed the top right hole, its not hole, its a strip
    - added the right tray

corrections are based on my my latest measurements
    Well guys, it's a sad day. For the first time since I started using Android, I won't be buying the HTC flagship. It's sad because I really love HTC phones, and I got my start as a developer on HTC phones. But I think it's time to move on. My sincere thanks to all the HTC community here for supporting my kernels and apps over the years. I hope people aren't let down by me not getting the U12. I'll continue to support my kernels for the 10 and U11.

Why am I not getting the U12? The honest answer is not enough users. I spend several thousand dollars per year on phones, supported by the revenues from my apps. It's pretty much a guarantee that I will lose money on the U12. I'm already really busy with more popular devices, so I can't justify spending another $1100 on a device that will have few users and require a lot of effort to maintain. HTC devices are a huge hassle to support compared to Pixel and OnePlus and even Moto. HTC still sends their kernel sources as a blob with no commit history, and they are routinely several months late in releasing them. Plus there are endless variants and weird HTC-specific quirks to deal with.

Back in the day, HTC was definitely the best. Phones like the One S and m7 really stood above the competition. Looking back, it was the m9 that killed HTC. It was really a dud. The brilliance of the HTC 10 couldn't make up for it and although the U11 was a fine phone, I just never enjoyed it as much as my other current phones, which have really progressed in the last couple years.