[GCam] OnePlus 6 / 6T

Search This thread

kagwind

Sep 26, 2014
How I got the topshot function
I finally decided to test the topshot function today, and it turned out to be much easier than I expected. Here are all what I did:
1. Download the latest version of Daydream and Google Photos (Daydream) from apkmirror.
2. Install Daydream.
3. Install Google Photos (Daydream).
4. Reboot.
5. Clear the cache of Pixel3Mod 1.3

Now take a picture in Pixel3Mod 1.3 with Motion (which implies with ZSL not HDR+ Enhanced), open it in Google Photos, swipe up and tada! The topshot strip shows up with 1 Original and 2 Recommended pictures.
This works for both back and front cameras. This also fixes the problem that opening a motion picture taken by Pixel3Mod 1.3 in Google Photos leads to a crash, which I encountered earlier.
Updated: Google Photos sometimes still crashes at some pictures, and I cannot find the pattern... Some pictures cause crashes while some don't. I attached a log created when I failed to open a motion picture. ( @Arnova8G2 for issue related )
log (in google drive): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Y9YAANcFP3ZKgcczBTpmtnlDN3biY5SU

I am currently using OP6 with OOS 9.0.2 and bluespark r58. Hope this helps anyone who wants to try topshot. Good luck!

Edit:
Forgot to mention that I already had ARCore (from Google Play) installed.
Also credit to @elmarian756 for the initial guide.

Attachments

• MotionCrash.log
    118 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

n8chavez

Mar 16, 2011
I finally decided to test the topshot function today, and it turned out to be much easier than I expected. Here are all what I did:
1. Download the latest version of Daydream and Google Photos (Daydream) from apkmirror.
2. Install Daydream.
4. Reboot.

Now take a picture in Pixel3Mod 1.3 with Motion (which implies with ZSL not HDR+ Enhanced), open it in Google Photos, swipe up and tada! The topshot strip shows up with 1 Original and 2 Recommended pictures.
This works for both back and front cameras. This also fixes the problem that opening a motion picture taken by Pixel3Mod 1.3 in Google Photos leads to a crash, which I encountered earlier.

I am currently using OP6 with OOS 9.0.2 and bluespark r58. Hope this helps anyone who wants to try topshot. Good luck!

Thanks for this! I can how see, and select from, the photo strip and not just an animated gif. The only question I have is, when you use topshot does it actually recommend a photo for you? I think that was how it was supposed to work, but I can't get it to do that.

kagwind

Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for this! I can how see, and select from, the photo strip and not just an animated gif. The only question I have is, when you use topshot does it actually recommend a photo for you? I think that was how it was supposed to work, but I can't get it to do that.
If you meant whether the app automatically recommends a photo after the shot, then no.
However, I am pretty satisfied with what the devs have achieved. Both the quality and the functionality are impressive! Big thanks to cstark27, Arnova8G2, BSG, defcomg and others that I fail to mention!

n8chavez

Mar 16, 2011
Oh absolutely! Now if the next version could provide the megapixels of 1.3 with the features of 1.3 I'd be thrilled.

p0nkr4t

Sep 23, 2016
Got a force close on 1.3 v6.1.021 after setting a timer on 3 secs and taking a photo with front camera.

Or sometimes it doesn't crash, it just doesn't allow to take photos

Last edited:

elmarian756

Mar 7, 2016
2. Install Daydream.
4. Reboot.

This works for both back and front cameras. This also fixes the problem that opening a motion picture taken by Pixel3Mod 1.3 in Google Photos leads to a crash, which I encountered earlier. ( @Arnova8G2 for issue related )

Edit:

great work! perhaps it will be awesome to keep this guide in order to add it with download links in op when the next versions on gcam polish all the details regarding motion. (to me it works great, but some users reported a few bugs here and there)

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
Pixel count in the settings goes to Max 12 megapixels? Is there a fix

I will quote @cstark27 on this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/co...ale_16mp_to_12mp_or_does_it_crop_the/eabzwjx/

The real problem is the OnePlus camera API implementation. The strings are not pre-defined for the resolution,
they are grabbed from the API and the list is populated.

Find a Camera app on the Play Store, enable Camera2 API in it's settings and see what resolution is available to choose.
If I remember right, once you do this, you'll see that 12mp/4mp are the top resolutions still.
If I understand this correctly, OnePlus needs to fix this in their OP6/T camera2api implementation.
For example: My OP3 with the latest GCam is showing 16 MP as max resolution in the settings.

But if you want to know if we can use 16 MP with Gcam on the OP6/T, this is already possible depending on the version.
Although max resolution displayed is still at 12 MP, actual resolution is at 16 MP according to exif data.

For 16 MP photos, the app needs to have resampling disabled. Some versions offer a toggle for this.
A side-effect when disabling resampling is that super-res-zoom will stop working and you will end up with low-res jpegs
when using digital zoom. Arnova8G2 is working on a fix which allows to use 16 MP, while maintaining super-res-zoom.

Last edited:

Jasonlhleung

Dec 5, 2018
Has anyone found that the current gcam. I.e. version 21 fails to take the photo sometimes, takes pictures in only 12mp, fails to focus at night (which makes nightsight pretty useless)? If so, do you know if Arnova is working on all these issues?

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
Has anyone found that the current gcam. I.e. version 21 fails to take the photo sometimes, takes pictures in only 12mp, fails to focus at night (which makes nightsight pretty useless)? If so, do you know if Arnova is working on all these issues?

Yes these are all known issues and he is working on them. Some are caused by motion metering (focus, circle-progress stopping).
I don't know what causes the shutterbutton not to work in certain situations, but I was able to provide some logs for this issue.
The 12 MP resolution is due to enabled resampling and not a bug, see my post above yours.

Jasonlhleung

Dec 5, 2018
Thank you. I've just upgraded from a OnePlus 3 that had the exact same version of the app. I noticed the OnePlus 3 colours are nicer than on the 6T, despite using the same app. Do you have any idea why this is the case?

elmarian756

Mar 7, 2016
What are the benefits of each app?

the arnova version is the main app. Some advances settings remain hidden on his versions such as saturation advanced settings, jpeg final quality, autoexposure correction, resampling, etc.

on a previously released version arnova uploaded a second app with those extra tweaks available. (bsg, idans, miniuser123 settings)

playing around with those improved picture final output (at least on my opinion)

Reactions: DarKAngel1234

Joseba123

Oct 3, 2017
2. Install Daydream.
4. Reboot.

This works for both back and front cameras. This also fixes the problem that opening a motion picture taken by Pixel3Mod 1.3 in Google Photos leads to a crash, which I encountered earlier. ( @Arnova8G2 for issue related )

Edit:

I followed every step and downloaded all the apps mentioned by @kagwind, but the Google photos app still crashes when opening picture with motion.
Any other suggestions?

Edit: If I am fast enough, I can turn the motion off on the picture on the photos app. Then it crashes, but when I open the picture again, motion is off and topshot works bc I can see the suggested options by swiping up.

I'm using stock op6t with the latest update ( non TMobile) and the latest gcam.

Also, the XDA app wouldn't let me post anything when I tried to quote somebody.

Last edited:

MetalSir

Oct 25, 2018
Italy
What are the benefits of each app?
Arnova's mostly works and bsg's mostly don't.
Tested both and arnova's is the best, almost fully working. Bsg has some advanced settings and (if I remember) cooler tone (less yellowish) in night shots.
Bsg has a cool integration with gallery when you want preview the photo from the camera app.
Arnova's is not so smooth, it just throw you right into Google photo.

Honestly I won't change arnova's for bsg since I need a camera properly working rather than some fancy settings to mess around.

Jasonlhleung

Dec 5, 2018
What version are you using now, may I ask? And also this is still an early stage for the Arnova app right? So there will presumably be the updates you are looking for which both fix the current bugs and combine with BSG to get additional options?

MetalSir

Oct 25, 2018
Italy
What version are you using now, may I ask? And also this is still an early stage for the Arnova app right? So there will presumably be the updates you are looking for which both fix the current bugs and combine with BSG to get additional options?
I feel like arnova's 1.1 is the most stable for my way of using the app. I have used 1.3 (last) but i went back to 1.1 because of (as I said before) I have never experienced the "circle animation" with 1.1 and 1.3 was giving me this problem. So, why changing something working properly? :)

Jasonlhleung

Dec 5, 2018
Hey @Arnova8G2 can you merge MGC_6.1.021_B-S-G-based_v.0.1_TlnNeun.apk with your fixes please?

Arnova8G2 + B-S-G + TlnNeun = Best Collaboration and final result.

I feel like arnova's 1.1 is the most stable for my way of using the app. I have used 1.3 (last) but i went back to 1.1 because of (as I said before) I have never experienced the "circle animation" with 1.1 and 1.3 was giving me this problem. So, why changing something working properly? :)

Thank you for you reply. Do you ever get the situation where you press the shutter and the photo doesn't actually get saved? Also, I am open to the idea that gcam is better, but is anyone with me in thinking that the stock app has become a lot better at HDR processing, such that it is sometimes even better than gcam (at least in its current beta form)? It's low light capacities are different, because if the tendency to oversharpen everything, but I wouldn't say that there is a 'light and day' difference as there was with older devices e.g. OnePlus 3?

Top Liked Posts