[Guide] Getting H933/Any? Modem to work on a converted US998/H930.

Search This thread

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
That's a good idea, I've never taken the plunge converting stock LG apps to Google as I'm not an enormous fan (prefer AOSP) but I'll give this a try once I'm home and fully recharged to see effect on battery life. Figured I'd cycle another day today and check BBS as well.

When I installed it, it didn't "convert" the LG dialer app, instead there was a 2nd dialer app. When I used it, the system asked did I want THAT app to have the permissions. I said yes.

You can probably then also "freeze" or disable the LG dialer app?

Last edited:

christopherrrg

Sep 15, 2011
Hamilton
I've just been using "shortcut master" to skip having to type lg dialer code..

So I froze the contacts app as it is the one containing phone and reflashed google dialer.

Battery drain is still an issue but not as much.

Phone app drained 16% being idle from 12am until 6am.

:(

Seems US998 is the better firmware for me; I suppose if the network I had was 4G this would be helpful but it feels as if it's draining more then I actually need. (My network data only goes 3G speeds anyways)

Weird how much original H933 is having an identity crisis. ?

Edit - to be honest the 1 cycle did it; with freezing contacts and using google dialer I now have a fully functioning H933. Battery drain no more.

Last edited:

cloud1250000

Jul 4, 2011
Ottawa
one thing I also observed.. after a reboot.. the battery consumption would be fine till you make or receice a phone call.

if you did and the battery is fine.. I might do the switch too o_O

Reactions: christopherrrg

christopherrrg

Sep 15, 2011
Hamilton
one thing I also observed.. after a reboot.. the battery consumption would be fine till you make or receice a phone call.

if you did and the battery is fine.. I might do the switch too o_O

Yeah I made calls all yesterday and my phone was fine throughout the day.

My battery is working 100x better now since I've done that; the day cycle probably helped the kernel get back on track too as the first day really sucked (died so fast) but after a day cycle and just google dialer + contacts battery has definitely stabilized.

I used app quarantine (root) to freeze contacts as titanium backup wouldn't let me.

I'll post my battery details from bbs today once I'm close to empty. :)

Last edited:

karendar

Aug 9, 2010
Montreal

I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKED DEVICE
IF YOU ARE HERE, YOU ALREADY UNLOCKED YOUR BOOTLOADER AND SOME PART OF THIS GUIDE WONT BE EXPLAINED IN DETAIL BECAUSE OF THAT
~~~This SHOULD work for any model.~~~
Except.. use the corresponding unlockable model kdz for your region.
Read everything before attempting.
drop a thanks..​

So just read your procedure... From what I'm gathering, booting the phone and configuring everything might modify the OP partition? So have you done a diff of the dumped OP partition vs the stock OP partition see if it does modify anything? This could potentially help in flashing custom ROMs as you mentionned.​

Night_1

Nov 24, 2008
Tried to convert back to H933 for the last 3 days.. always lose recovery and unable to install TWRP... back to US998 i suppose :/

I've followed all the steps but every time I get to step 5...i am unable to open the root shell... I always get a permission denied... Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Last edited:

christopherrrg

Sep 15, 2011
Hamilton
Tried to convert back to H933 for the last 3 days.. always lose recovery and unable to install TWRP... back to US998 i suppose :/

I've followed all the steps but every time I get to step 5...i am unable to open the root shell... I always get a permission denied... Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Are you clicking accept on your device?
The second you hit enter after adb shell you would need to click accept on your device.

Check magisk and see if 'Shell' is under super user.

Night_1

Nov 24, 2008
Are you clicking accept on your device?
The second you hit enter after adb shell you would need to click accept on your device.

Check magisk and see if 'Shell' is under super user.

Perfect...that was the one crucial step i must have missed.. Thank you very much
Now to get LTE back that was working when i did the DUMP and now its not..Thanks for the help :)

Night_1

Nov 24, 2008
Well if it wasn't for bad luck i'd have no luck at all, back to US998 i guess.... can get root but no cellular data...oh well

christopherrrg

Sep 15, 2011
Hamilton
Well if it wasn't for bad luck i'd have no luck at all, back to US998 i guess.... can get root but no cellular data...oh well

Yeah another user has messaged me with issues with data as well.

I'm with ChatR so unsure if freedom(wind) towers are both using UMTS or not.

I can retain data myself but two days ago I relocked BL and redid the WTF method. I'm currently on US998 again but I'll reattempt fresh and once data is working I'll host my TWRP backup. (Will be 100% fresh so I'm not worried about personal data as there will be none.)

Edit - I changed to US998 as it's battery lasts almost 2 days for me while stock H933 lasts half a day at best. (Most likely due to stronger radios etc)

Reactions: Mad Medik

Night_1

Nov 24, 2008

I'm with ChatR so unsure if freedom(wind) towers are both using UMTS or not.

I can retain data myself but two days ago I relocked BL and redid the WTF method. I'm currently on US998 again but I'll reattempt fresh and once data is working I'll host my TWRP backup. (Will be 100% fresh so I'm not worried about personal data as there will be none.)

Edit - I changed to US998 as it's battery lasts almost 2 days for me while stock H933 lasts half a day at best. (Most likely due to stronger radios etc)
If you ever do the H933 backup that would be amazing...
I'm not on either of those networks... I'm on Sasktel.. VIp 85 plan... Unlimited voice and data for $85

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Mad Medik

Jan 28, 2006
The Hammer!

If you ever do the H933 backup that would be amazing...

I think I'm the other user. I had the same experience as you Night_1. H933>US998 rooted>H933 rooted but no data. It seems like Christopherrrg was able to keep data working but its not clear what the difference was.

User @Cordtus says he went through the process. Then he ran into problems after trying to flash a custom Rom after getting back to H933. He seems to have been able to get to rooted H933 with data before that, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe he can clarify.

I'm thinking about giving it another go on my next set of days off. I just need to decide on what I want to try differently. Maybe the full list of DD bin files, unless Christopherrrg comes up with something else successful before that.

Cordtus

Feb 29, 2016
Edmonton
I think I'm the other user. I had the same experience as you Night_1. H933>US998 rooted>H933 rooted but no data. It seems like Christopherrrg was able to keep data working but its not clear what the difference was.

User @Cordtus says he went through the process. Then he ran into problems after trying to flash a custom Rom after getting back to H933. He seems to have been able to get to rooted H933 with data before that, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe he can clarify.

I'm thinking about giving it another go on my next set of days off. I just need to decide on what I want to try differently. Maybe the full list of DD bin files, unless Christopherrrg comes up with something else successful before that.

Yes I had data all the way up until I flashed the modified "stock" h933 zip. So I converted to us998 using the Frankenstein method then installed twrp+root and after that I flashed back using partition dl to the 933 (excluding recovery) then installed twrp and root again and then flashed again through partition dl the 933 recovery only, then using shell from within a booted system I reverted to twrp recovery. Mobile data worked through this process but currently I have no mobile data after flashing the modified 933 zip from another thread.

Please don't take this as a step by step this is only the processes I followed through several different threads to come to this point.

Last edited:

simondadiamond

Aug 23, 2008
Québec
So, I did a few tests this weekend, almost broke my phone (DONT FLASH the modified h933 over a Frankenstein H998 phone lol).

That being said, following this guide, step by step seems to work(again like the previous user said, some steps may or may not be necessary). Just make sure to make a backup with LGUP with a stock H933 ROM with data working.

EDIT: Personally, I did not do step 7, which is flash the modified H933 ROM, as it should, in theory (and it worked for me so in practice too lol) be giving me everything that the previous steps already gave me.

Now once coming back to H933 I think the important steps to get data back are flashing back these partitions and changing for example OP_COMX.. to OP.bin :

dd if=/sdcard/OP.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/OP
dd if=/sdcard/modem.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modem
dd if=/sdcard/modemst1.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modemst1
dd if=/sdcard/modemst2.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modemst2
dd if=/sdcard/misc.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/misc
dd if=/sdcard/persist.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist
dd if=/sdcard/ftm.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/ftm
dd if=/sdcard/pstore.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/pstore
reboot

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:

cloud1250000

Jul 4, 2011
Ottawa
These partitions must have been taken from a working h933 phone.
If you just flashed the h933 kdz and didnt check if everything was working fine before doing the dump using lgup, flashing them probably wont do anything~
(by booting it up and making sure data is working..)

Last edited:

christopherrrg

Sep 15, 2011
Hamilton
So, I did a few tests this weekend, almost broke my phone (DONT FLASH the modified h933 over a Frankenstein H998 phone lol).

That being said, following this guide, step by step seems to work(again like the previous user said, some steps may or may not be necessary). Just make sure to make a backup with LGUP with a stock H933 ROM with data working.

EDIT: Personally, I did not do step 7, which is flash the modified H933 ROM, as it should, in theory (and it worked for me so in practice too lol) be giving me everything that the previous steps already gave me.

Now once coming back to H933 I think the important steps to get data back are flashing back these partitions and changing for example OP_COMX.. to OP.bin :

Hope this helps someone!

Thank you for finishing this up; truly appreciate the few Canadian users we have who are fully willing to tinker.

Sorry I haven't reupdated my instuctions just yet; been sick for a few days.

Night_1

Nov 24, 2008
Finally got it to work. I partition dl to Nougat H93310h_00_OPEN_CA_OP_1124.kdz ...then partion dl to Oreo H93320e_00_OPEN_CA_OP_0320.kdz... from there i had to REFURBISH up to H93320g_00_OPEN_CA_OP_0910.kdz just to get data working (this is what i had to do to get data functioning, my not be required for others) so i could do the DUMP as per @cloud1250000 instructions ... then followed all his instructions but i added "dd if=/sdcard/modem.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modem" to Step 3...
followed the rest of the directions and BOOM... fully rooted H933 with TWRP :D
Thanks to everyone involved with this :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKED DEVICE
    IF YOU ARE HERE, YOU ALREADY UNLOCKED YOUR BOOTLOADER AND SOME PART OF THIS GUIDE WONT BE EXPLAINED IN DETAIL BECAUSE OF THAT
    ~~~This SHOULD work for any model.~~~
    Except.. use the corresponding unlockable model kdz for your region.
    Read everything before attempting.

PLEASE READ EVERYTHING BEFORE ATTEMPTING.. YOU MIGHT/WILL GET MORE INSIGHT/A NEW SOLUTION BY DOING SO.
    INCLUDING THE TL;DR AT THE END.

Okay...

You all know I tried a bunch of different stuff before reaching this point. The simplicity of the solution is incredible and might shock you.

So first.. I know I couldn't make it without
    throwing away all of my precious userdata/internal data
    because the partition scheme of the H933 is not the same as any US phone. It's more close to the EU open kdz.

This is the story about how I did it.

Uselessly flashing random partitions till I broke the us998 system completely (wasted 3h)

1. H933

I started by Partition DL (LGUP) the latest kdz for canadian device. All of its partition. (Say yes to the fact it changes other partitions...)

The goal here was to reach a state where I know everything should be working. One of my main concern was.. I didn't know if I would loose the unlocked bootloader by doing so.
    (Due to the weird nature of our bootloader unlock)

I quickly learned I didn't loose the unlocked state.. but the device was bootlooping...
    In order to fix that, I had to do a hard reset... I'm still unsure of how you do it.. the timing was really off for me due to the warning screen of the unlocked bootloader.

I finally booted in my freshly unlocked and useless H933 phone. I reached the setup menu and noticed the lte+ icon and I was satisfied with that.
    (Previously, the way I flashed some stuff... the modem didnt work and the lte/wifi was down.)

********** PLEASE **********
    Complete the initial setup and test if the HD Audio option is available for you when you make a call (might need to toggle something in call setting)
    I didn't check that and now.. I'm wondering if I might have done something wrong.. if I did.. maybe the true solution is somewhere else..

From there, I turned off the phone and I fired up LGUP once again. This time, I wouldn't make the same mistake and I backep up everything using the DUMP option.
    (except for the userdata, it might be good to back it up)

2. US998

At this point, it was time to go back to the US and enjoy the liberty of having a working fastboot.
    I just flashed straight to the latest version of US998 Oreo (or the latest one I had on my computer..)

I booted on fastboot and flashed twrp. Within TWRP I double/triple checked it was really flashed by going to the reboot menu and rebooting to the recovery.

3. Back to the Fut... H933

Time to flash back to the canadian version :p

Partiton DL > Select everything except the recovery. (Say yes to the fact it changes other partitions...)

Once you try to boot this time... it should directly go to the recovery.. I assumed at this point it was trying to factory reset some stuff.. So I went ahead and did a factory reset.

It didn't work... but atleast my data partiton wasnt crypted anymore.. I took this chance and flashed magisk/verity/rctd zip from the original wtf unlock bootloader guide. (In the same order)
    Flash Magisk 17.1 (https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/v17.1/Magisk-v17.1.zip)
    Flash encryption disabler (https://build.nethunter.com/android-tools/no-verity-opt-encrypt/)
    Flash root checker disabler (https://build.nethunter.com/android-tools/lg-rctd-disabler/)

I assumed this might solve my problem.. and restarted.. nop still going directly to the recovery.. Oh god.. the fun begin.. I was experiencing the same thing as @gilnfld

So I turned off my phone and did a fresh start, once I reached the recovery, I went to the advanced menu and tapped on the first option ('copy logs file' I think)

By going tru the kernel logs, I noticed it was trying to resize the op partition.. I guess the original recovery had this feature and not twrp...

Code:
    <6>[    0.979944 / 01-01 00:00:00.969][6] [LGE] Normal Boot Case.
    <6>[    0.979957 / 01-01 00:00:00.969][6] get_qem = 0
    <6>[    0.979975 / 01-01 00:00:00.969][6] GPT is up to date!
    <6>[    0.979989 / 01-01 00:00:00.969][6] get_qem = 0
    <6>[    0.980060 / 01-01 00:00:00.979][6] [LGE][OP Image] BootIntoFastboot : 0, get_qem() = 0
    <6>[    0.980074 / 01-01 00:00:00.979][6] get_qem = 0
    <6>[    0.980110 / 01-01 00:00:00.979][6] [LGE][OP Image] get_ftm_frst 6, op_status : 1.
    <6>[    0.980133 / 01-01 00:00:00.979][6] OP Image - set op_status: 1
    <6>[    0.980166 / 01-01 00:00:00.979][6] OP Image - get op_name : OPEN_CA, ret = 0
    <6>[    0.980203 / 01-01 00:00:00.979][6] [LGE][OP Image] boot_into_recovery:0, op_resize:1.
    <6>[    0.980246 / 01-01 00:00:00.979][6] [LGE][OP Image] Booting as recovery for handling OP image.
    <6>[    0.980274 / 01-01 00:00:00.979][6] [LGE][OP Image] End of OP Resize

Well.. remember that first dump we did at step one? When we had the canadian system working with the lte+ icon? Welp guess what.. it has the op partition image inside :D

So I plugged my phone in my computer and... flashed the dumped op partition on the phone :)
    The filename should look like OP_COMX.. just rename it to OP.bin and put it at the root of your internal storage
    Code:
    reboot from the twrp reboot menu

I rebooted and!! It still went back to the recovery... :'(
    From there, I flashed a bunch of other partiton from the dump... with each flash I rebooted.. and it still wasnt working..

Code:
    reboot

reboot

reboot

reboot

reboot
    4. A new approach

After a good 30 minutes of thinking (at 2am)
    I assumed it should be fine to flash the original recovery since I already applied magisk and the other zip to the system.. So I went ahead and flashed the recovery... I turned off the phone.. and did a fresh boot.

Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery
    power off from the reboot menu within twrp

Boot the device..
    There will be a weird erasing screen with a circle.. and then reboot 3-4 times... and finally reached the setup with working lte+ and WIFI :eek: !!!1111!!111!1!

5. Restoring TWRP

I completed the setup quickly and checked if I had magisk and if root was working. I launched magisk and said yes to everything it said (lol)
    After a reboot, I enabled the developer option and debugging.
    I plugged my phone, authorized my computer to debug, put twrp.img to the root of my internal storage and opened an adb shell

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/twrp.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery
    6. Final Validation

I rebooted to the recovery using magisk reboot menu under its module page and saw that I had twrp running fine! (had to reconfigure it.. stop asking me to install your useless app!!)

Finally.. the ultime step.. I went to the reboot menu and shutted down the phone.

7. Is it done already?

I pressed the power button.. and then... the phone successfully booted to the OS!

8. Food for thought (OPTIONAL)

You noticed how any of the custom roms made for the US998/LS998 are not working with our phone?
    Maybe now they will work :p (flashed from twrp.. assuming they only dd stuff.. no idea of the actual innerworking of zip flashing)

9. Watch out!!! (WARNING)

FASTBOOT IS NOT WORKING, IF YOU LOOSE ROOT AND THE RECOVERY, YOU'LL HAVE A UNLOCKED AND USELESS H933 AGAIN.
    NEVER LOOSE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME... WATCH OUT FOR THE OTA.. even if I doubt twrp will allow them to be flashed lol

10. TL;DR

Unlock your bootloader, then come back here

Good luck with that.
    Pls take the time to read everything before attempting..
    I ?might? have missed a step lol

This is more to make sure you understood everything correctly.
    OR EXPERT MODE

1. Partition DL H993 kdz
    2. Make it boot and make sure lte+ is working
    3. Make a dump of everything
    4. Partition DL US998
    5. fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    6. Partition DL H933 kdz without the recovery
    7. Factory reset and flash magisk/verity/rctd (zip from wtf unlock guide, same order)
    8. Reboot
    9. Flash a bunch of images from the dumped H933 Folder (step 3)
    10. Reboot a bunch of time
    11. Flash the original recovery from the dump
    12. Power off and on the phone
    13. wait till it reaches setup screen.
    14. Launch Magisk and say yes a bunch of time
    15. adb shell
    16. flash twrp to recovery
    17. reboot to recovery and configure twrp again (stop asking me to install your useless app!!)
    18. Enjoy a H933 with a good recovery and root :)
    (WARNING)
    FASTBOOT IS NOT WORKING, IF YOU LOOSE ROOT AND THE RECOVERY, YOU'LL HAVE A UNLOCKED AND USELESS H933 AGAIN.
    NEVER LOOSE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME... WATCH OUT FOR THE OTA.. even if I doubt twrp will allow them to be flashed lol

Oh... well... That's akward.... You're already the end of this post..
    I know.. You'll miss me.. but pls.. even if our relation didn't last for more then 30 minutes..

drop a thanks..

dd if=/sdcard/modem.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modem
    reboot

Hope this helps someone!
    Finally got it to work. I partition dl to Nougat H93310h_00_OPEN_CA_OP_1124.kdz ...then partion dl to Oreo H93320e_00_OPEN_CA_OP_0320.kdz... from there i had to REFURBISH up to H93320g_00_OPEN_CA_OP_0910.kdz just to get data working (this is what i had to do to get data functioning, my not be required for others) so i could do the DUMP as per @cloud1250000 instructions ... then followed all his instructions but i added "dd if=/sdcard/modem.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modem" to Step 3...
    followed the rest of the directions and BOOM... fully rooted H933 with TWRP :D
    Thanks to everyone involved with this :D
    Good idea :p Done ;)

Btw.. I don't know if I have some useless extra steps... As I'm trying to show exactly what I did to make it work..
    and I needed a working phone before bed time.. So I reached the stage where I don't wanna redo everything just to keep the necessary steps....
    okay good news guys.

I made it. :D

I'm currently on the latest global ca version, twrp for recovery and fully rooted :D

(i've just done it... I lost all my data sadly... :'( )

I'll keep you updated tomorrow since i have to sleep now (2:45am and i work at 8...)

It's totally doable by anyone with enough patience but sadly.. I'm 100% sure it's not possible to provide a nandroid backup as an easy solution.

I'll probably drop my solution tomorrow.. once I confirm volte works on the global version (one of the main reason lol)

Good night.