All info about Honor View20 so far (come and share your thoughts)

Search This thread

ceciliahey

Nov 3, 2017
The news about view 20 can be found everywhere except this forum. That's weird.
Here is the summary of XDA reports about Honor view 20 showcase in Hong Kong so far:

1. The in-screen hole display
Honor claims View 20 in-display hole is 4.5mm, 1.5mm smaller than Samsung A8s's solution. It is somehow a little awkward Samsung's and Honor 's showcases fell on the same day. But I think Honor wins this round.
Although it seems a mere 1.5mm difference doesn't matter too much, I believe that’s a big improvement in the display craftsmanship. Good job, Honor.

I like the hole-punch screen (compared with the ugly notch) and it actually extends the screen to body ratio to a high level, nearly 100%. If 2018 is the year of notch, hole seems the new trend in the coming 2019.

2. 48MP rear camera
It may become the first phone with 48-megapixel camera, powered by Sony’s IMX586 CMOS sensor. This report said this sensor has good performance in low-light shooting and zooming in on photos taken from a distance. In addition, Kirin 980 chipset with the dual-ISP and dual-NPU can provide a better image quality with more details.

PS: Wanna figure out how much detailed can the image be? Anyone can find any sample pictures?

3. Link Turbo
According to XDA reports, this is “an AI feature that allows simultaneous downloads over WiFi and 4G. “ Samsung released similar feature before but I never heard about it.
“Link Turbo also enables better switching between WiFi and 4G depending on signal strength.”

This sounds very powerful but I still feel confused how will it works. So here comes a key point: how much will view 20 price be?

Just check the price of A8s (https://gadgets.ndtv.com/samsung-galaxy-a8s-5759), it is about 29,900 INR, equal to 420 USD( that’s in high price range though).
So I guess Honor View20 may be more expensive than Samsung A8s?
Because with smaller hole and better rear camara (Samsung A8s: 24MP, Honor View20: 48MP), it seems unreasonable to lower the price…

Feel free to share your thoughts and update what you can find about View 20 info below.
I also will update what I find here.

Update (12.26):
The price in China is released!
6GB RAM + 128GB of storage for ¥2999 ($435),
8GB RAM + 128GB of storage for ¥3499 ($510),
the “MOSCHINO” version with 8GB RAM +256 GB of storage for ¥3999 ($580).

What do you think of the price value?

View20 launch news: https://www.xda-developers.com/honor-view20-launches-48mp-rear-camera-display-hole/

Last edited:
Reactions: PalakMi

flamery

Feb 24, 2011
this quote on the XDA page:
Note: Huawei has stopped providing official bootloader unlock codes for its devices. Therefore, the bootloader of the Honor View 20 cannot be unlocked, which means that users cannot root or install custom ROMs.

I was aware you could not load a custom rom with a locked bootloader, but my understanding was you could root the dveice still, can anyone confirm? I don't care at all about custom roms but I can't live without root.

ceciliahey

Nov 3, 2017
this quote on the XDA page:
Note: Huawei has stopped providing official bootloader unlock codes for its devices. Therefore, the bootloader of the Honor View 20 cannot be unlocked, which means that users cannot root or install custom ROMs.

I was aware you could not load a custom rom with a locked bootloader, but my understanding was you could root the dveice still, can anyone confirm? I don't care at all about custom roms but I can't live without root.

There is still no way to unlock the phone though. I don't think view20 will have it. somebody said Funkyhuawei can help you root but you need to buy the unlock code. I use an Honor 8X but I'm fine to use without rooting as all the specs work well.

Now View 20 haven't released so we can wait and see if someone can find a way to unlock it.

ceciliahey

Nov 3, 2017
Countdown posters guessing

Waiting for the View20 launch in China today.
I Found some countdown posters on Honor Phone Chinese weibo.
One is a big "M" and another is a "T".
I guess "M" maybe Maserati? T is technology?

psb

Last edited:

flamery

Feb 24, 2011
unboxing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmyNIiNLkIs
Looks absolutely incredible, I love the way the notification bar lines up with the camera hole.

Also the headphone jack and SD card are great additions (Although Is suspect it uses the lame hybrid sim tray where you can't use two sims and SD card at the same time).

ceciliahey

Nov 3, 2017
unboxing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmyNIiNLkIs
Looks absolutely incredible, I love the way the notification bar lines up with the camera hole.

Also the headphone jack and SD card are great additions (Although Is suspect it uses the lame hybrid sim tray where you can't use two sims and SD card at the same time).

Like the unboxing video! So quick!
It's nice to see they keep the 3.5mm headphone as most of phones have removed it.
I found a detailed review here : https://www.androidcentral.com/honor-view-20-review
I think it has the best value in its price range.

Last edited:

evlo2

Oct 13, 2018
Hmm, to me, removing, for me, basic features, does not seem like a step in right direction, I kinda like knowing about notifications without having to turn on the phone.

With notification led it would be great phone for me, I think. (currently I have nova3 and I hate that notifications are not shown in status bar because of the notch)

flamery

Feb 24, 2011
In case there is any confusion, this phone does support a memory card, it doesn't use the standard SD-card it uses the Huawei made nano memory card. There is no extra slot for this card, the card is exactly the same size as a nano sim card and therefore to use it, you put it in the sim card tray in place of the secondary sim.

So unfortunately you cannot use two SIM's and a memory card at the same time (very few phones these days do anyway).

PalakMi

Aug 18, 2016
Oujda
Great pricing (although it will be more in EU)
the only thing that annoys me so far, is the fact that it uses Huawei's own technology for memory expansion

flamery

Feb 24, 2011
Pricing has been released. (Not good news unfortunately for global version)
china

6GB model - $405 USD
8GB model - $480 USB

Global

6GB Model - $630 USD
8GB model - $760 USD

apparently the global version will come with a free Honor smartwatch worth $200 USD

ninalzc

Apr 19, 2018
china

6GB model - $405 USD
8GB model - $480 USB

Global

6GB Model - $630 USD
8GB model - $760 USD

apparently the global version will come with a free Honor smartwatch worth $200 USD

Really? Where did you see the price? Coz it hasn't been released yet.

PalakMi

Aug 18, 2016
Oujda
china

6GB model - $405 USD
8GB model - $480 USB

Global

6GB Model - $630 USD
8GB model - $760 USD

Whaaaaat?!
If it's true that's more expensive compared to the 1+6T.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The news about view 20 can be found everywhere except this forum. That's weird.
    Here is the summary of XDA reports about Honor view 20 showcase in Hong Kong so far:

1. The in-screen hole display
    Honor claims View 20 in-display hole is 4.5mm, 1.5mm smaller than Samsung A8s's solution. It is somehow a little awkward Samsung's and Honor 's showcases fell on the same day. But I think Honor wins this round.
    Although it seems a mere 1.5mm difference doesn't matter too much, I believe that’s a big improvement in the display craftsmanship. Good job, Honor.

I like the hole-punch screen (compared with the ugly notch) and it actually extends the screen to body ratio to a high level, nearly 100%. If 2018 is the year of notch, hole seems the new trend in the coming 2019.

2. 48MP rear camera
    It may become the first phone with 48-megapixel camera, powered by Sony’s IMX586 CMOS sensor. This report said this sensor has good performance in low-light shooting and zooming in on photos taken from a distance. In addition, Kirin 980 chipset with the dual-ISP and dual-NPU can provide a better image quality with more details.

PS: Wanna figure out how much detailed can the image be? Anyone can find any sample pictures?

3. Link Turbo
    According to XDA reports, this is “an AI feature that allows simultaneous downloads over WiFi and 4G. “ Samsung released similar feature before but I never heard about it.
    “Link Turbo also enables better switching between WiFi and 4G depending on signal strength.”

This sounds very powerful but I still feel confused how will it works. So here comes a key point: how much will view 20 price be?

Just check the price of A8s (https://gadgets.ndtv.com/samsung-galaxy-a8s-5759), it is about 29,900 INR, equal to 420 USD( that’s in high price range though).
    So I guess Honor View20 may be more expensive than Samsung A8s?
    Because with smaller hole and better rear camara (Samsung A8s: 24MP, Honor View20: 48MP), it seems unreasonable to lower the price…

Feel free to share your thoughts and update what you can find about View 20 info below.
    I also will update what I find here.

Update (12.26):
    The price in China is released!
    6GB RAM + 128GB of storage for ¥2999 ($435),
    8GB RAM + 128GB of storage for ¥3499 ($510),
    the “MOSCHINO” version with 8GB RAM +256 GB of storage for ¥3999 ($580).

What do you think of the price value?

View20 launch news: https://www.xda-developers.com/honor-view20-launches-48mp-rear-camera-display-hole/