Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-12-07-16-06-40.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-07-16-06-40.png
    186.3 KB · Views: 506

KChoudhry

Sep 5, 2017
Google Nexus 5
Micromax A116
Hey all, is this ROM still being updated (I don't think so).

What happened to Cyanogenmod? Is it still in development? I also need a stable working ROM for my N5. I am still on KK 4.4.4

I was thinking about installing this ROM. Is it complete for every day use?
If u don't want customizations then you may install the official update to Marshmallow otherwise then you may also consider the aosp pie custom ROM has this from is not under development anymore

Sent from my OnePlus One using XDA Labs

Zander_Sig

Apr 19, 2012
Thanks

If u don't want customizations then you may install the official update to Marshmallow otherwise then you may also consider the aosp pie custom ROM has this from is not under development anymore

Sent from my OnePlus One using XDA Labs

OK. thanks. It looks like this ROM still has problems (as in the post above me).

I need one that is ready to go as is. My N5 is my only phone... I was really wanting a fast custom rom that works.

TomiLynch

Jan 31, 2017
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 3
Hey all, is this ROM still being updated (I don't think so).

What happened to Cyanogenmod? Is it still in development? I also need a stable working ROM for my N5. I am still on KK 4.4.4

I was thinking about installing this ROM. Is it complete for every day use?
Cyanogenmod died a two years ago and was rebranded as LineageOS.
DarkRom is based on Lineage.

If you need a fast and stable rom that's ready to use I can recommend a couple of options deppending on what you are looking for.

If you want an extremely snappy and customizable rom with the complete pixel experience you should try DarkRom 14.1 (Nougat), but someone should mirror the latest release with its corresponding Dark Gapps (@lulli1 shared a link on the top of this same page https://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/development/rom-dark-rom-t3492150/post77897966).
The downside to this rom is the older android version. Plus it was discontinued, so the security patch is gonna be a little old as well, but it was by far the best rom I flashed on Nexus 5.

A second option would be Lineage 14.1 (Nougat). With this you are gonna get the same snappyness, but a little less customization options and won't get the same pixel experience as on DarkRom.
The good thing is you're going to continue to get the latest security patch.

If you want a newer andoid version to enjoy features like PIP (picture in picture) you could try ResurrectionRemix v6.2.1 (Oreo 8.1). As far as I know, it's the only Oreo rom that is still being developed, so it's got the latest security patch.
It's extreemely customizable and is full of features. Also very stable, from what I've heard.

Finally, if you don't care about customization and want the stock AOSP experience we are used to on Nexus devices, along with the latest android version, you should try Unlegacy Android 9.0 (Pie). I recommend the CAF variant.
This is the rom I'm using now as daily driver. It's quite stable and snappy I must say.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Zander_Sig

Apr 19, 2012
Bliss

Cyanogenmod died a two years ago and was rebranded as LineageOS.
DarkRom is based on Lineage.

If you need a fast and stable rom that's ready to use I can recommend a couple of options deppending on what you are looking for.

If you want an extremely snappy and customizable rom with the complete pixel experience you should try DarkRom 14.1 (Nougat), but someone should mirror the latest release with its corresponding Dark Gapps (@lulli1 shared a link on the top of this same page https://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/development/rom-dark-rom-t3492150/post77897966).
The downside to this rom is the older android version. Plus it was discontinued, so the security patch is gonna be a little old as well, but it was by far the best rom I flashed on Nexus 5.

A second option would be Lineage 14.1 (Nougat). With this you are gonna get the same snappyness, but a little less customization options and won't get the same pixel experience as on DarkRom.
The good thing is you're going to continue to get the latest security patch.

If you want a newer andoid version to enjoy features like PIP (picture in picture) you could try ResurrectionRemix v6.2.1 (Oreo 8.1). As far as I know, it's the only Oreo rom that is still being developed, so it's got the latest security patch.
It's extreemely customizable and is full of features. Also very stable, from what I've heard.

Finally, if you don't care about customization and want the stock AOSP experience we are used to on Nexus devices, along with the latest android version, you should try Unlegacy Android 9.0 (Pie). I recommend the CAF variant.
This is the rom I'm using now as daily driver. It's quite stable and snappy I must say.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Yeah man, that helps a lot!

I think I'm going to go with the Bliss rom v10 (Android 8.1) and use open gapps for the Google apps... I'll try Bliss first. If that doesn't work I'll try one of your other suggestions.

I tried finding the files for "DarkRom 14.1 (Nougat)" but no luck.

If Bliss doesn't work out I'll try your last suggestion (ResurrectionRemix v6.2.1 (Oreo 8.1)).

I just have to figure out how to root my phone after I install the rom and gapps. It's been so long since I did a FB or sideload in TWRP. ;)

I guess I'll go with Magisk-v18.0.zip for my rooting.

Thanks man!

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Now I read "no customization" with the Bliss roms! Ughh!

Let me see if I can find the rom "ResurrectionRemix v6.2.1 (Oreo 8.1)". I guess I'll try that first.

TomiLynch

Jan 31, 2017
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 3

I think I'm going to go with the Bliss rom v10 (Android 8.1) and use open gapps for the Google apps... I'll try Bliss first. If that doesn't work I'll try one of your other suggestions.

If Bliss doesn't work out I'll try your last suggestion (ResurrectionRemix v6.2.1 (Oreo 8.1)).

I just have to figure out how to root my phone after I install the rom and gapps. It's been so long since I did a FB or sideload in TWRP. ;)

Thanks man!

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Let me see if I can find the rom "ResurrectionRemix v6.2.1 (Oreo 8.1)". I guess I'll try that first.
I wouldn't recommend Bliss Oreo since it was abandoned in it's early stage and isn't fully stable.

This is the Resurrection Remix thread:
https://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/development/rom-resurrection-remix-o-6-x-x-t3757854/page62
Keep in mind that there is one bug present in all Oreo and above roms where you can't call though bluetooth. This is not an issue for me, but if it's a deal breaker for you, you should stick to Nougat.

I linked a post where someone uploaded the DarkRom files.

Regarding root, I would indeed use Magisk. I've been using it for the last two years on every rom I tryed. Simply flash the latest zip in twrp after flashing rom and gapps.

Don't forget to like if it helped.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zander_Sig

Zander_Sig

Apr 19, 2012
Sweet!

I wouldn't recommend Bliss Oreo since it was abandoned in it's early stage and isn't fully stable.

This is the Resurrection Remix thread:
https://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/development/rom-resurrection-remix-o-6-x-x-t3757854/page62
Keep in mind that there is one bug present in all Oreo and above roms where you can't call though bluetooth. This is not an issue for me, but if it's a deal breaker for you, you should stick to Nougat.

I linked a post where someone uploaded the DarkRom files.

Regarding root, I would indeed use Magisk. I've been using it for the last two years on every rom I tryed. Simply flash the latest zip in twrp after flashing rom and gapps.

Don't forget to like if it helped.

I am going to try the RR Rom first. Version "RR-O-v6.2.1-20181209-hammerhead" (I think it is Android version 8.1) and I have "open-gapps-arm-8.1-super-20181211" and "Magisk-v18". I am going to use FWUL to do the sideloads, etc.

Thanks man for the help!

TomiLynch

Jan 31, 2017
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 3
I am going to try the RR Rom first. Version "RR-O-v6.2.1-20181209-hammerhead" (I think it is Android version 8.1) and I have "open-gapps-arm-8.1-super-20181211" and "Magisk-v18". I am going to use FWUL to do the sideloads, etc.

Thanks man for the help!
You are going to have to use open gapps micro or below since 8.1 is a larger OS and the System partition isn't large enough for super gapps package. You are most likely going to encounter an error when flashing gapps super in twrp.

I personally recommend going with Nano or Pico gapps and installing the rest of the apps from the playstore.

When you install larger gapps packages, you are installing those apps as system apps in the System partition but, when you update them from the playstore, the update is installed in the Data partition since the playstore doesn't have root privileges, therefore occupying double the space.

I'd rather install a smaller gapps package and install what's missing directly from the playstore, giving you the option to delete them when ever you want.

No need to sideload anything eather. Simply copy rom, gapps and magisk zips to your internal storage after intalling twrp. Wipe Data, System, Dalvik and Cache and then install Rom, Gapps, Magisk in that order.

(This is getting a little off topic here, better move to the RR thread)

Last edited:

Zander_Sig

Apr 19, 2012
Right on!

You are going to have to use open gapps micro or below since 8.1 is a larger OS and there the System partition isn't large enough for super gapps package. You are most likely going to encounter an error when flashing gapps super in twrp.

I personally recommend going with Nano or Pico gapps and installing the rest of the apps from the playstore.

When you install larger gapps packages, you are installing those apps as system apps in the System partition but, when you update them from the playstore, the update is installed in the Data partition since the playstore doesn't have root privileges, therefore occupying double the space.

I'd rather install a smaller gapps package and install what's missing directly from the playstore, giving you the option to delete them when ever you want.

No need to sideload anything eather. Simply copy rom, gapps and magisk zips to your internal storage after intalling twrp. Wipe Data, System, Dalvik and Cache and then install Rom, Gapps, Magisk in that order.

(This is getting a little off topic here, better move to the RR thread)

OK. Thanks for catching that for me! I will download the Nano.

Man that would have ruined my day because I would have had no idea why gapps would not install! Great catch man! Thanks!

Reactions: TomiLynch

Vignesh007

Dec 4, 2014
Settings FC when i open sound menu...anyone having same issue??? Running 7.1.2 on franco latest build.
Clearing data on settings app doesn't fix this issue..

ravidaada

Aug 26, 2013
AHMEDNAGAR, HINDUSTHAN
www.fb.me
Loved this ROM on my nexus 5 but I broken my mobile. Now I have pocophone with pixel experience 9.0 ROM.
I loved boot animation of this dark ROM . Can I get it and use in my pixel ROM? If yes then guide me please.

Vignesh007

Dec 4, 2014

Thanks man!

https://m.mediafire.com/folder/3vyhni0128pu1/DarkRom

Alternate link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xd49b8a2fojh960/AACQTP21THsB6f-KpiwYTEMYa?dl=0

Last edited:

mopide

Mar 14, 2017
it is very battery-draining rom in my opinion. on the other hand smooth and full of useful features. but I won't use it as a daily driver. battery lasts too short for me - less than 2 hours sot, as it stays about 3h and more when I use Unlegacy Oreo or some Nougat ROMs.

Vignesh007

Dec 4, 2014
it is very battery-draining rom in my opinion. on the other hand smooth and full of useful features. but I won't use it as a daily driver. battery lasts too short for me - less than 2 hours sot, as it stays about 3h and more when I use Unlegacy Oreo or some Nougat ROMs.
7.1.2 gives about 3-3.30 hrs of sot using franco kernel

mopide

Mar 14, 2017
Some N ROMS give 3 h SOT for me without Franco kernel. For example Paranoid. But dark ROM does not give me so.

Now I've flashed Franco kernel with Ulegacy Oreo :) testing.. :laugh:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

I'm building an extra lean LineageOS 14.1 ROM for hammerhead with a few added features. A lot of packages have been stripped down, only the bare minimum is built to provide a fast and stable ROM. That gives you much more freedom as you can install exactly what you really want from the Playstore. You can install most of the missing packages manually, they are available in a flashable zip on the server (see second post).

My approach for DARK ROM 14.1 is slightly different than for DARK ROM 13, as I try to add as many Pixel features as possible while keeping a solid LineageOS base.

Key features
    - Full OMS support (rootless)
    - Signature spoofing support
    - Pixel Launcher (with the provided GAPPS package)
    - Pixel animated navbar (with on/off switch)
    - Pixel sounds
    - Pixel accent colors
    - Pixel bootanimation with sound
    - Rounded icons
    - Google Assistant
    - Night Light
    - Night Light Brightness
    - Choose between dialer and voice assistant in lockscreen
    - Hide next alarm from expanded status bar and lockscreen
    - Disable the boot animation sound
    - Secure lockscreen (disables status bar pull down, quick settings tiles, power button and lockscreen shortcuts)
    - Double tap the lock icon on the lockscreen to sleep
    - Longpress power button while screen off to trigger flashlight
    - Hide bluetooth icon when disconnected
    - Volume steps
    - Quick unlock pin/password
    - Remove album art from lockscreen
    - Date in status bar
    - Battery bar
    - Smart pulldown
    - Volume button controls media volume anywhere
    - Change navbar height
    - Screenshot tile
    - Caffeine tile
    - Sync tile
    - Reboot/recovery tile
    - Music tile
    - USB Tethering tile
    - NFC tile
    - Quick settings custom rows/columns
    - Turn on/off mobile data with single click on collapsed quick settings
    - Status bar ticker
    - Separate ring and notification volume
    - Specific color for 100% charged battery
    - Prevent accidental wakeup
    - Remove settings suggestions
    - Show WiFi SSID in status bar
    - Show carrier label in status bar
    - Hide carrier label on the lockscreen (or rename to whatever you want)
    - Hide the low battery warning notification
    - Remove the orange status bar and navigation bar when in battery saver mode
    - One hand mode
    - Choose doze brightness
    - Adjust animation scale precisely with a slider
    - Dynamic nav bar color (changes color to the same of status bar)
    - In-call vibration options (on connect, on call waiting and on disconnect)

Screenshots

SafetyNet
    The ROM is already designed to pass SafetyNet out of the box. No need to lock the bootloader (which I advise you to do ONLY on a pure factory image install) because the kernel has the patch for it. If you want root, you'll need to install Magisk, which comes pre-rooted. Then, enable Magisk Hide in Magisk Manager, hard reboot and you should be good to go. Also, do not enable busybox in Magisk Manager, that will cause you to randomly lose root. You'll get all you need to know on the Magisk thread.

ViPER4Android/ViPER4Arise
    The ROM is designed to work with both ViPER4Android and ViPER4Arise out of the box without the need for SuperSU or any Magisk module. The SEPolicy already contains the necessary permissions for them to work even in Enforcing. All you need to do is flash the package of your choice.

Installation
    You will need latest radio (2.0.50.2.30) and latest bootloader (HHZ20h)
    Latest TWRP recovery is highly recommended
    If you want HDR to work, you will need to keep Google Camera 3.2.045 (all newer versions won't work)

If coming from any other ROM
    - Backup first... always backup first
    - Wipe system, data, cache and dalvik cache
    - Install DARK ROM
    - Install provided GAPPS (mandatory)
    - Install root package of your choice (I recommend Magisk)
    Enjoy !

If coming from a previous build of mine
    - Backup (you know it)
    - Dirty flash DARK ROM
    - Install root package of your choice
    Enjoy! (if anything goes wrong, clean flash)

Download
    To download the whole ROM
    Hammerhead

To download GAPPS and Extras
    Extras

To download delta updates
    Go to Settings/About phone/System updates and use the OpenDelta app to automatically download delta updates.

Delta Updates
    Here are a few explanations on how to use delta updates. First, you will need to keep the first full build you downloaded on your sdcard (any full build that have NIGHTLY in the filename will do). I recommend that you keep it on the root of your sdcard until you flash a new build with the OpenDelta app. After that, the OpenDelta app will automatically place a new flashable zip inside the OpenDelta folder that will be used for the next delta updates. At that point you can delete the build on the root of your sdcard, but you will need to keep the (latest) file in the OpenDelta folder at all times to keep the delta updates working.

You will also notice a folder named FlashAfterUpdate in the OpenDelta folder. As its name suggests, any flashable zip files that you put in this folder will be flashed automatically after the update. I recommend that you put all your extra flashable zips there, cause if you use the app to auto-flash the latest build, it will reboot automatically after updating, which means you won't have the opportunity to manually flash other zips. If you want root to survive, you need to put your root package there.

Translations
    If you want to help translate the ROM in your language, here are my Crowdin projects. Let me know if you want me to add another language.
    SystemUI
    Settings
    CMParts

Donations
    Please consider a donation if you like my work ! I spend a lot of time and effort working on this, so if you can spare a few bucks, please buy me a beer (so I can relax when I'm stuck on a stubborn bug) or a coffee (so I can work on it later in the night). If you decide to do so, I'll gladly add you to the Donation Hall of Fame (see second post) ;)

Source code
    GitHub

Thanks and credit
    LineageOS
    @myfluxi
    @lol4topnz
    @kylon
    @phoval
    @ganachoco
    All the good devs who contributed to the features I added
    Donation Hall of Fame
    - alsheron X2 !!!
    - cryu1
    - OldoTRONic X2 !!!
    - Cissmayazz
    - twili9ht
    - krombopulos X2 !!!
    - squandry
    - zerand
    - strangethings
    - jerunk
    - hurricurry
    - Sui77
    - mistersixt
    - gillboyzz
    - vurey
    - jstargz
    - the_house
    - WSeb
    - hawgguy
    - spibbs
    - ProBird79
    - focus-pocus
    - CyberpodS2 X2 !!!
    - herbie13 X2 !!!
    - atharwaqas
    - BoozYooNit X2 !!!
    - NJD316
    - velvel
    - ChrisPadduDubbu X2 !!!
    - mrtsunami92
    - caballon
    - deafbum

Many thanks to those generous donors !!! They make DARK ROM possible.

Extra Packages
    On the server you will find a file named ExtraPackages_date.zip which contains a few apps that are not available out of the box in my builds (see list). You won't have to flash it every update, since there is a survival script. I suggest you open the zip and remove the files you don't need before flashing it the first time.
    Here is what's included:
    - Calendar (AOSP Calendar)
    - Contacts (AOSP Contacts)
    - DeskClock (AOSP Clock)
    - Dialer (AOSP Dialer)
    - Eleven (LOS Music player)
    - ExactCalculator (LOS Calculator)
    - Gallery2 (AOSP Photos)
    - Jelly (LOS Browser)
    - LatinIME (AOSP Keyboard)
    - Messaging (AOSP SMS)
    - Recorder (LOS Recorder)
    - Snap (LOS Camera)
    - Stk (AOSP SIM card toolkit)
    - Trebuchet (LOS Launcher)

Note that if you install my GAPPS and the complete Extras package, you'll end up with two Phone app and two Contacts apps. Simply delete the GoogleContacts and GoogleDialer in the system/priv-app and reboot. If you choose to use the AOSP Dialer instead of Google Dialer, you'll need to go to Settings/Apps/Gear Icon (top right) and choose the AOSP Dialer as default phone app, otherwise you won't be able to make calls.

Revert to Stock DPI
    If you want to revert to stock dpi (480), simply flash the attached zip in recovery after you flash the rom. It won't stick after a dirty flash, so you'll have to flash it every time, or place it in the FlashAfterUpdate folder.

Revert to AOSP Bluetooth Stack
    If you have problems connecting to some devices over Bluetooth, you can try to revert to the AOSP Bluetooth stack. To do so, simply flash the attached zip in recovery after you flash the rom. It won't stick after a dirty flash, so you'll have to flash it every time, or place it in the FlashAfterUpdate folder.
    New build is up!

Guys,

I just pushed a brand new build. It has all upstream patches from LineageOS, which includes the latest september security update and the blueborne patch for the kernel. I advise you to check if the custom kernel that you prefer has that blueborne patch as well. I haven't seen much kernels around that have it in. I also fixed a couple of bugs and polished the overall build. It should be close to perfection now. All in all I feel this is a very good build. It should have all translations in (except hindi) with addition of Turkish and Korean! Here is a detailed changelog:

- September security patch
    - Blueborne kernel patch
    - Immersive recents (hide status bar, navigation bar or both)
    - Memory bar in recents
    - Option to remove the lock task in recents
    - Prevent locked task from being swiped away
    - Add a switch to remove toast icon
    - Add/remove QS tiles with one click
    - Two columns in dashboard
    - Hide cellular icon in status bar when the sim card is not provisioned
    - Fix the charging sound option

It seems that Lineage is making good progress on the lineage-15 development, I'll keep a close look at it and start to work on the dark_oreo soon ;)

I know I'm getting annoying with this, but if you have a few bucks to spare and you enjoy my work, please consider a donation. My PayPal account is here. Many thanks in advance, it is truly appreciated.

I hope you like this release ;)

Jean
    Great news!

Guys, I have a great news, I just got confirmation that I've been accepted as a Recognized Developer here on xda!

It's in part thanks to you, the dark users, so I thought I'd share my joy with you all !!!

Thanks for providing feedback, for helping each other out, for the much appreciated donations... Thanks for being part of the dark family. I'm grateful to be part of such a great community. That title just gave me renewed motivation to continue development, so you are gonna be stuck with me for a while lol.
    Status update

Hey guys,

I know I've been awfully quiet these past few days (even weeks), so I thought I'd stop by to explain a bit why this is happening. Two weeks ago, I applied for a new job, which was a big promotion for me. I got the job, so I'm obviously very happy about it, but that also means that I'll have less free time to spend on the development side. I'm not giving up though, but I might be waiting for Android 8.1 to land before I really get started on oreo. That puts us probably mid December, so hopefully I'll have more time to work on it during the holidays.

Stay tuned, I'll keep you posted!