T-Mobile 6T to International Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

Search This thread

Ryano89

May 6, 2011
Indiana
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8T
Now, the real questions begin. Do I try this method again? Do the manual method since I have the unlock token? Do I leave it alone, since it seems I've lost my touch from the days of the devices in my sig?
I feel like for me it may have been a driver issue. My computer is recognizing my device as a qualcomm device, but not specifically a Oneplus. I think I just made a rookie mistake and did not make sure that I had the right drivers installed correctly and working before I jumped in.

Reactions: iron@ss

zerosim

Dec 28, 2018
I feel like for me it may have been a driver issue. My computer is recognizing my device as a qualcomm device, but not specifically a Oneplus. I think I just made a rookie mistake and did not make sure that I had the right drivers installed correctly and working before I jumped in.

That's what I am assuming as well. If you try again after installing the drivers, please let us know how your progress goes!

joemossjr

Feb 14, 2011
Texas City Texas
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I do not know about you, but I have a completely dead phone at this point
No you don't hold volume up or down + power for like 30 seconds

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

It won't show a OnePlus device it will say Qualcomm device

zerosim

Dec 28, 2018
I stopped acting like a rookie and actually made sure that my drivers were working, tried again and........PROFIT! Worked like a champ! Thank you so much.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you! What are your plans now with your device? Are you planning to root and or flash any custom ROM or kernel?

Jeffro64

Feb 6, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas
No you don't hold volume up or down + power for like 30 seconds

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

It won't show a OnePlus device it will say Qualcomm device

Mine shows as OnePlus device...

Attachments

• device.jpg
    device.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,486

armond21

Oct 13, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Glad to hear everything worked out for you! What are your plans now with your device? Are you planning to root and or flash any custom ROM or kernel?

No customization here. I like the stock software on the OP phones. I haven't really done any crazy modding since I got into the Nexus devices, since they just work. OnePlus gives me the fizz like the Nexus stuff did. The Pixel line didn't light my fire.

zerosim

Dec 28, 2018
No customization here. I like the stock software on the OP phones. I haven't really done any crazy modding since I got into the Nexus devices, since they just work. OnePlus gives me the fizz like the Nexus stuff did. The Pixel line didn't light my fire.

The stock software of OOS is definitely my preference as well. The Pixel line seemed a bit bland to me, and the aesthetics of the device, don't even get me started.. Anyways, I think I'm going to keep OOS and flash a custom kernel for small modifications to extend battery life and usability. Just kinda sad it prohibits use of the FP sensor.

Finished the update process on my locked Tmobile 6T and everything is working great so far.

A couple things I noticed...

1. Download mode doesnt show anything on the screen. If the phone is off and you hold VOL UP+DOWN and then plug in your cord, have your PC sound on so you can hear it connect. The phone wont change. Then you can hit start on the MSM tool. I couldnt for the life of me figure out what I was doing wrong because the screen stayed black. I had to hold VOL UP+POWER for about 15 seconds to get the phone to reboot out of the black screen before I realized that black screen was download mode.

2. I did not have to actually install the Qualcomm download drivers. I even tried and I guess they arent compatible with Windows 10 or something because it wouldnt install.

3. There wont be any progress on the phone during the update. All the progress will be shown in the MSM tool and it will reboot the phone automatically.

Hope this info helps someone. I thought I somehow bricked my phone when I got just a black screen going to download mode.

Lastly, great job to those who figured this out. Tired of Tmobiles slow updates and being so far behind. Now I dont have to deal with that stuff anymore. Amazing job.

Last edited:

aftabbabar

Nov 13, 2010
i have just converted my tmobile to the international version 2 days ago. I had the phone unlocked and then got the token and unlocked the bootloader and did it the old fashion way . manual update to 9.0.11 and then locked the bootloader again. so my question is, am I as good as this new method or my phone is still not 100% stock international?
is there anyway I can install the tmobile stock rom again and reset to factory version and then do the conversion with this new method? the new method seems like it will convert my phone 100% to international version. uff, I had a really hard time getting the sim unlocked with tmobile. I wish i had waited a little longer. you guys are angels.
So my questions is : do I stay the way I am or should I re-convert through this new method?

SpasilliumNexus

Jan 23, 2013
Delaware
www.last.fm
I don't have the T-Mobile 6T, but on top of giving an idea, I wanted to say congratulations!

Now as for an idea, if you guys want to see if OTA updating works, couldn't you guys:

1. do the conversion
2. downgrade with an older msm tool
3. reboot and test software update in the os

That way you won't have to wait to see if it works?

Edit: If you're searching for a downgrade, I've been collecting all factory images and MSMTool for the 6T here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=285795

The one that will take you to the original OxygenOS (9.0.5) for the non T-Mobile variant is in the "OxygenOS MSMDownloadTool" folder named "oneplus6t_fajita_oxygen_41_o.11_181103.zip"

Last edited:

zerosim

Dec 28, 2018
Also, for anyone concerned about Widevine:
I went from Tmo stock to OOS Stock using this method, and Widevine is showing L1 via DRM Info.

Thank you for posting this, I was assuming it would keep L1 but I am glad to see it is confirmed now! Now that you converted, are you able to run the TMobile MSM tool to restore to TMobile's version of OOS? I am wondering if it will show a mismatch.

Reactions: alak

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the previous thread, we discussed a method to convert T-Mobile 6T's to the international variant, sort of, but it required an unlocked bootloader, which itself requires a SIM unlock which T-Mobile gives people a hard time about.

However, it is through @Dark Nightmare and @iaTa's efforts that we've come this far. Today, I share with everyone a new method to turn a T-Mobile 6T into an international variant. One that does NOT require an unlocked bootloader or a SIM unlock!

Before you proceed: Following the steps below WILL wipe your phone. Please backup all of your important files from the phone before proceeding.

Here are the steps:
    1) Download 6T MsmDownloadTool v4.0.58 (OOS v9.0.11) provided by @iaTa
    2) Download patched flasher tools here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dYuVxnf_J97KPrRt6KEBOjau1BRvtnJQ (the patches simply remove checks that allow all the images to be flashed on the phone, I've personally tested the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" but not the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_mcl_op1_patched.exe" variant. You can do a binary diff on the EXEs against the originals in case there's any issues with trust.
    3) Shut down your T-Mobile 6T completely
    4) Press and hold Volume Up and Volume down keys simultaneously
    5) With those two buttons held down, plug in your USB cord to your PC
    6) Ensure that the USB drivers for Qcom download mode are installed and working (available in the MSMDownloadTool thread)
    7) Extract the patched tools EXEs to the same directory as where you extracted the MSMDownloadTool
    8) Run "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" (or the other one, if you're feeling adventurous)
    9) Click "Start" when you're ready to start patching the phone
    10) After about 5 minutes it will finish its job and reboot the phone
    11) Phone will boot normally, but no more T-Mobile logo, and instead there is the OxygenOS generic logo
    12) Now your T-Mobile 6T is now running identical software to the unlocked 6T sold directly by OnePlus, and running the latest software (OxygenOS 9.0.11 at the time of this writing). You can even participate in Open Betas if you'd like, and the "Local Upgrade" feature is now enabled and working.
    13) ???
    14) Profit

Hope this helps somebody out.

It definitely works.
    If you want to unlock bootloader after it's converted, then it's just a simple fastboot oem unlock WITHOUT having to wait 7 days for OnePlus unlock bin. Just like the 6T sold by OnePlus directly. And you can even load a dual-SIM tray and both SIM slots work normally.
    I created a video tutorial for those who may be having issues or struggling with the process. Enjoy!
    Note: It's currently still processing, so the quality will be improved when that's complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh-tjPPz2Ws
    NOTHING is wrong or missing in the instructions; follow them EXACTLY..
    Use winzip NOT winrar..Make sure your computer has the QUALCOMM driver installed
    Make sure your pc sees your phone.
    Use the cable your phone came with
    Try a different USB port

If this doesnt work for you, its YOUR fault, not the instructions or the OP's fault
    I don't have the T-Mobile 6T, but on top of giving an idea, I wanted to say congratulations!

Now as for an idea, if you guys want to see if OTA updating works, couldn't you guys:

1. do the conversion
    2. downgrade with an older msm tool
    3. reboot and test software update in the os

That way you won't have to wait to see if it works?

Edit: If you're searching for a downgrade, I've been collecting all factory images and MSMTool for the 6T here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=285795

The one that will take you to the original OxygenOS (9.0.5) for the non T-Mobile variant is in the "OxygenOS MSMDownloadTool" folder named "oneplus6t_fajita_oxygen_41_o.11_181103.zip"