[Kernel][10.06.2022][4.9.317][Android 12]Kirisakura_S 5.1.1 for Pixel 3/XL aka Bluecross

Search This thread

odontastic

Aug 30, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
I experienced similar random "reboots"

I experience random reboots - well, not exactly reboot also but the screen goes black for few seconds and I'm back to the lock screen with message saying "Unlock for all features and data" indicating that device rebooted and requires manual unlock rather than fingerprint.

Are you using Adguard DNS-over-TLS (dns.adguard.com) as your Private DNS provider hostname?
This was causing my launcher to crash, a brief black screen, and dumped back to manual unlock as you describe.

Reactions: melgar

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
Hurricane, WV
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 5a
Thanks for the kind words! :)

what do you mean by "foreign characters" within a ROM? I don´t get the hint or what you mean by this.

I build DU myself, whenever I feel I have a need for a new build, which is usually every month when the security updates drop. I like the approach the DU team takes on development, that it´s not overloaded with features and some members of the team helped me build it in the past when I faced issues :)
That doesn´t mean I don´t appreciate or don´t like the other ROM´s available here! It just fits my needs :)

Additionally my available storage on the PC is limited (cannot store the source of various ROMs) and besides developing the kernel, I don´t have that much time for ROM jumping ;)
Everyone should try available options and settle for what works best for the usecase!
The bootlegger ROM, probably innocuous enough, has some sort of foreign characters in parts of the ROM

alkeshgamer

Feb 23, 2014
Hello.

This is causing the phone to slow down and also the wlan driver to misbehave. Does your phone recover from these freezes in the end or do you have to reboot to get it back from being unresponsive?
Yes the phone recovers instead of going for a full reboot.

You might try to disable WLAN and see if the issue persists.
You can try to disable ambient music tracking and see if the issues persists.
That may at least narrow down the cause.
Will try that out before I completely wipe everything and start fresh

I don´t see any obvious kernel fault at play here. But that java error in the logcat shouldn´t be there in the first place.
Logcat shows errors caused by apps or the system. Dmesg shows errors caused by the kernel.

It may be that custom kernels use a piece of code that don´t like the java error found in the logcat. Stock kernel may be unaffected, because it´s missing that piece of code.
Well, thank you so much for going through this and helping out, appreciate it!

Are you using Adguard DNS-over-TLS (dns.adguard.com) as your Private DNS provider hostname?
This was causing my launcher to crash, a brief black screen, and dumped back to manual unlock as you describe.
Oh yes I'm using Adguard's DNS. So disabling the private DNS fixes your issue? This is new to hear, how did you figure out that private dns is causing the trouble? As from my scenario it's wifi or ambient music tracking causing problems as discussed previously.

alkeshgamer

Feb 23, 2014
Others on Reddit also had the same problem with Adguard Private DNS in the Pixel and Adguard forums.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Adguard/comments/abicn3/adguardprivate_dns_causing_restarts_on_pixel/
The problem goes away when I disable Private DNS or use anything other than Adguard's servers like Cloudflare or Quad9.
Google fixed the bug for a future update.

Yea I tried disabling the Private DNS and it didn't occur. And here I go blaming it on custom kernels. But still, this issue didn't happen to me when I was completely stock, that's weird. Let's hope we get the fix in next update.

Paz9

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 8 Pro
@Freak07 ive noticed since 2.x.x background_gc is off for F2FS /data when i look in proc/mounts
why is that? i thought discard and background_gc work hand in hand

ive also noticed slightly quicker idle and active drain after flashing 2.xx kernels 1.9 was perfect for me.

Reactions: ridobe and rspkt

nexusmaniac

Nov 14, 2012
mnailor.wordpress.com
Yea I tried disabling the Private DNS and it didn't occur. And here I go blaming it on custom kernels. But still, this issue didn't happen to me when I was completely stock, that's weird. Let's hope we get the fix in next update.

Oh damn! I had the same issue, rebooted loads on any custom kernel when I set it to dns.google ... I disabled it because it was the only thing I'd recently changed in the userspace ? nice to see a confirmation of the issue haha

Hope it gets fixed though ?

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
@Freak07 ive noticed since 2.x.x background_gc is off for F2FS /data when i look in proc/mounts

ive also noticed slightly quicker idle and active drain after flashing 2.xx kernels 1.9 was perfect for me.

on 2.0.0 background_gc was still set to on. background_gc set to off can be observed since 2.0.2 not 2.x.x.
As mentioned in the release post GC is now done while the device is charging and idle. The release post of 2.0.2 has the commit in question linked.
See the commit
https://github.com/freak07/Kirisakura_bluecross/commit/adb98c5bf07d4217768b1e1578e4e96bca94929a

This change is still under evaluation and may be reverted at some point.

I´m getting roughly the same battery life since my private kernel has had all the changes that are present from 2.0.0 up to 2.0.3. Others reported also nothing negative or out of the ordinary. But that might be use case related...
Battery life staying roughly the same, while improving performance with a few of the latest commits since 2.0.0 is a good trade for me :) might not be true for other use cases though...

Last edited:

ridobe

Dec 20, 2010
Westfield, In.
Google Pixel 8 Pro
virtyx;78777470 [user=3428502 said:
@Freak07[/user] ive noticed since 2.x.x background_gc is off for F2FS /data when i look in proc/mounts

@Freak07 I too am getting high idle drain. SOT continues to be stellar though. I also agree that 1.9 was the last low idle drain version.

Sent from my crosshatch using XDA Labs

Reactions: rspkt

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
@Freak07 I too am getting high idle drain. SOT continues to be stellar though. I also agree that 1.9 was the last low idle drain version.

high idle drain when the phone is idling the whole night without touching it? if yes how much % do you lose over X hours per night?

or high idle drain while the phone is playing music with screen off? if yes how much?

Or just the collected stats from exkm over a very long period of time showing everything?

ridobe

Dec 20, 2010
Westfield, In.
Google Pixel 8 Pro
high idle drain when the phone is idling the whole night without touching it? if yes how much % do you lose over X hours per night?

or high idle drain while the phone is playing music with screen off? if yes how much?

Or just the collected stats from exkm over a very long period of time showing everything?
The first one. I've been losing 8-10% at night. Previously (1.9x), 2-3% easily.

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
The first one. I've been losing 8-10% at night. Previously (1.9x), 2-3% easily.

interesting. Did you check with better battery stats if you had an app keeping your phone awake the night?
Or if something else stood a bit out in better battery stats?
Like google play services, a freshly installed app and other recent changes?

I´m still losing 1-3% over 7 to 8 hours a night, just like since I had this phone. I doubt it´s the recent kernel changes but I´ll keep an eye on it. be sure to report back and maybe check better battery stats out over a few nights.

Last edited:
Reactions: rspkt

Paz9

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 8 Pro
on 2.0.0 background_gc was still set to on. background_gc set to off can be observed since 2.0.2 not 2.x.x.
As mentioned in the release post GC is now done while the device is charging and idle. The release post of 2.0.2 has the commit in question linked.
See the commit
https://github.com/freak07/Kirisakura_bluecross/commit/adb98c5bf07d4217768b1e1578e4e96bca94929a

This change is still under evaluation and may be reverted at some point.

I´m getting roughly the same battery life since my private kernel has had all the changes that are present from 2.0.0 up to 2.0.3. Others reported also nothing negative or out of the ordinary. But that might be use case related...
Battery life staying roughly the same, while improving performance with a few of the latest commits since 2.0.0 is a good trade for me :) might not be true for other use cases though...

ops i see that now
also i think instagrams latest update caused the drain- restricted background activity and battery is fine now - ill keep an eye open for it.

also performance is noticably better with latest kernel - everything is snappy and opening almost instantly
well done :good:

swieder711

Not a kernel issue, but I can no longer get FK Manager to open a folder on my Pixel 3 XL. I get the message shown in the attached "For some reason your Android version doesn't know how to open this." FK Manager used to work for me.

Is there an XDA forum for FK Manager issues? I have emailed @franciscofranco, but no response.

Sorry to clutter this thread with an unrelated issue, but this is bugging me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190126-172814.jpg
    Screenshot_20190126-172814.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:

jcmm11

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Not a kernel issue, but I can no longer get FK Manager to open a folder on my Pixel 3 XL. I get the message shown in the attached "For some reason your Android version doesn't know how to open this." FK Manager used to work for me.

Is there an XDA forum for FK Manager issues? I have emailed @franciscofranco, but no response.

Not specifically, no. You can try one of his active kernel threads. Better would probably be Twitter or Google+
https://plus.google.com/+FranciscoFranco1990/posts/GVHx97Bbcb3

https://mobile.twitter.com/franciscof_1990

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011

Do you have by any chance the built in file manager disabled on your device? Or maybe you’re running a custom rom that doesn’t have the stock file manager built in? Because that is the way fkm lets you choose which zip to flash since not only kernel zips are supported.

swieder711

Do you have by any chance the built in file manager disabled on your device? Or maybe you’re running a custom rom that doesn’t have the stock file manager built in? Because that is the way fkm lets you choose which zip to flash since not only kernel zips are supported.
I am on the stock ROM, but had Files 9 frozen. After unfreezing file manager I am back in business.

Thanks

Top Liked Posts