[RECOVERY][ROOT][TWRP 3.2.1-1][Magisk v14] Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 SM-T280/SM-T285

Search This thread

alroze

May 29, 2008
Hi,
No problem to root a T280 following instructions but with :
- twrp_3.2.1-1_sm-t280_080118
-and Magisk v18.0 + MagiskManager-v6.1.0
No need to flash the patched boot image, seems to be included in the last version of Magisk v18.0.
Root confirmed by Root Checker

Thanks to all for nice work :)

Reactions: GrippingSphere

Daniel5161

Dec 27, 2016
mexikoedi.github.io
Hi,
No problem to root a T280 following instructions but with :
- twrp_3.2.1-1_sm-t280_080118
-and Magisk v18.0 + MagiskManager-v6.1.0
No need to flash the patched boot image, seems to be included in the last version of Magisk v18.0.
Root confirmed by Root Checker

Thanks to all for nice work :)

Works everything fine and works Magisk Hide (Safety Net Pass and device certified)?

Last edited:

Gleba1337

Feb 23, 2018
Last edited:
Reactions: mr_ppp and SETSAE
i had twrp used it for about 6 house then said i needed os installation i been all over hell to try and down load it let alone understand it enough to redo it i could make sens of the extract a boot file let alone extract and convert the os file lol how did i even do it my first time spot on lmfao

gcrutchr

Jun 11, 2009
Bangkok
i had twrp used it for about 6 house then said i needed os installation i been all over hell to try and down load it let alone understand it enough to redo it i could make sens of the extract a boot file let alone extract and convert the os file lol how did i even do it my first time spot on lmfao

TWRP can be installed using Odin. Find a .tar file with TWRP inside the .tar file

Attachments

• twrp_3.2.1-1_sm-t285_080118.tar
    10 MB · Views: 226

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Must have read it wrong. But my sm t280 twrp just stays I the samsung screen. I'm lost. Worked great and loved it for first 3 days but then I dont know what I did obviously a beginner has su on it. I just know it says no is installed
Seems you've somehow wiped the system partition.
You will need to restore the the stock firmware. Either from a twrp backup(which should have been the first thing you did :rolleyes:) or via odin.

Reactions: zippzYT
Well it was the su kernal bor being enforced now I just cant get out of the recovery screen I truly dont know what I did and way to just wipe it all and start over?.....I just really want to use my tablet lol

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

It's not reading the kernal now I lost everything on my laptop so I'm kinda like............

All not files are t in the folder as I do in as file manager. Is that not right?

Attachments

• 20190213_091751.jpg
    20190213_091751.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 20190213_092500.jpg
    20190213_092500.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 189

nicht

Jun 5, 2012
i installed twrp like in op, everything works fine for me. But the magiskv14 link seems to be dead. i tryed to install the latest magiskv18 via twrp, but the installation got an error...

How can i install magisk?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

TWRP custom recovery for the Tab A SM-T280/T285. Latest build is 3.2.1-1

Disclaimer: you flash these at your own risk. Knox counter will be tripped. Having the stock firmware to hand is also advised.

NOTE: BEFORE MAKING MODIFICATIONS, ON SOME ANDROID 5.1.1/6.0 DEVICES IT IS NECESSARY TO GO TO:
    Settings -> Developer Options -> OEM unlocking
    AND ENABLE OEM UNLOCK FIRST OR YOU MAY ENCOUNTER 'BLOCKED BY FRP LOCK' WHEN FLASHING.

UPDATE 08/01/2018 - TWRP updated to version 3.2.1-1

UPDATE 21/11/2017 - Magisk updated to v14

UPDATE 26/10/2016: GUI lag fix - Lag in the GUI should now be fixed
    MTP fix - MTP should now be working

To install TWRP:

1. Flash with ODIN 3.10.7 in the AP slot.
    Uncheck Auto reboot.

2. Load the respective file below into the AP slot and hit start.

3. After flashing when ODIN says PASS immediately reboot to recovery by holding POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN.
    As soon as the screen goes blank change to VOL UP whilst still holding the other buttons.
    You should now see TWRP recovery.

DOWNLOAD:
    TWRP_3.0.2-1_SM-T280_261016

twrp_3.2.1-1_sm-t280_080118

twrp_3.2.1-1_sm-t285_080118

NOTE: at the moment there seems to be a bug which causes the GUI to get a little laggy. If things stop responding just be patient and wait for the GUI to respond. I'm looking into this.
    (FIXED)

For Systemless Root with SuperSu.

1. Install Supersu via TWRP
    SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031

This step only required for the SM-T280
    2 . Flash the PRE-ROOTED boot image below with ODIN(AP slot) or TWRP(extract boot.img first from tar file). Current version is [SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031].
    supersu_2.78_SR1_systemless_boot_t280

3. Reboot

4. Check you have root

To install Magisk v14:

1. Download Magisk v14 to your device
    Magisk v14

2. Install the Magisk v14 zip with TWRP

This step only required for the T280
    3. Flash the patched boot image below with TWRP.
    magiskv14_boot_aqd1

4. Reboot

5. Install Magisk manager
    Magisk Manager

PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK IF YOU FIND MY WORK USEFUL. THANKS.

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

GUI lag fix - Lag in the GUI should now be fixed
    MTP fix
    interesting, what caused the lag to happen? I initially suspected it to be gpu clock throttling but didn't have time to figure it out
    Hi Jed, after trying various different configs in twrp and even modifying the graphics source code it made no difference.
    Using the the touch debugger in twrp it was apparent that the touch was responding fine.

So I turned my attention to the kernel.
    After several builds of modifying the cpu config making no difference, it turns out TWRP only supports double buffering, but the kernel was forcing triple buffering.
    It seems this was causing an extra frame to be displayed causing what seemed like lag and explains why when pressing the screen a second time would cause the frame to update.

The page that was in ram had changed when tapping a button, but the wrong frame in the buffer was displayed until the next touch which then updated the display.

Disabling triple buffering in the kernel fixed the issue.
    I hope the patched boot image for Magisk v14 come soon. I have been preparing my SM-T280 for this. Backing up everything on it, stocking up the stock images for emergency, etc.

(BTW, a noob question, I thought Magisk is doing the patch on boot.img when it is installed. SM-T280 is different?)
    Magisk updated to v14.
    I tried the same with SuperSU 2.82 but even with the DHTB part it gets stuck on boot 🤔

I learned that the DHTB part is actually a signature for the following partition. So by just copying another signature I clearly use an invalid one, but it seems the bootloader doesn't care 🙈

Okay, the DHTB part not only contains a signature but also the payload length of the data the signature is generated over. I missed the last part and that length caused it to get stuck on boot with SuperSU 2.82.

I noticed that it boots fine if I just set signature and length to all zeroes. 🤷‍♂️

So here is my version of the patched SuperSU, now also for 2.82.

Bash:
    # Patch image to include additional 512 Bytes Header found on SM-T280 devices
    if [ "$(dd if=$BOOTIMAGE count=4 bs=1)" = "DHTB" ]; then 
      ui_print "- Found DHTB Header at 0x0000, expecting ANDR at 0x0200"
      if [ "$(dd if=$BOOTIMAGE count=4 bs=1 skip=512)" = "ANDR" ]; then
        ui_print "- Found ANDR Header at 0x0200, patching boot.img"
        dd if=$BOOTIMAGE of=/sutmp/prefix.img count=8 bs=1
        dd if=/dev/zero of=/sutmp/prefix-pad.img count=504 bs=1
        cat /sutmp/prefix.img /sutmp/prefix-pad.img /sutmp/boot.img > /sutmp/patched.img
        rm /sutmp/boot.img
        mv /sutmp/patched.img /sutmp/boot.img
      else
        ui_print "- ANDR Header NOT found at 0x0200, boot.img may not work!"
      fi
    else
      ui_print "- DHTB Header at 0x0000 NOT found, skipping step"
    fi