LG Stylo 4 root?

Search This thread

hidronico

May 31, 2017
So the LG Stylo 4 is a beautiful budget smartphone and i cant find any information on it here at xda so i figured i would start a thread for people to go to and discuss getting root on this device. Anyone with any experience or if anyone thinks the root process for another lg phone might work with this phone and is willing to test out and report back let us all know.

tecknight

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2010
Las Vegas
Redmi Note 9 Pro
OnePlus 8T
Obtaining unlock code for LG-Q710AL
Method 1===100% working===patience needed=
Call Boost Mobile (or original carrier)

(First ask to transfer to the unlock department)
Using a call recorder here is word for word what was said between the operator and I:
Me: "look I've had service to this phone for a while now and last night updated my phone, and now when ever I try to use my phone it asks for a service code. In the past 3 & 1/2 hours ive had to reset my network settings, reset my app preferences, dial ##72786# twenty million times and had to factory reset by going to settings> system> restart and reset> factory data reset. And most recently before the call dropped I was on the phone with you people since my plane is leaving in 25 minutes I was being walked through "some complicated adn dangerous looking reset" where I had to turn off my phone hold the volume down plug in my charger while simultaneously holding down the power button. Then after more confusing steps and setting up my phone yet again even though my plane is fixing to leave shortly and this damn thing wont regester the service card, IT STILL DIDNT WORK!! So the lady I was speaking with asked me for information like the IMEID number to my phone saying she was fixing to privide me some **** like an MSL code for my phone and as she was telling my to power on my device I had my call dropped and I had to go through security here at the airport. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME! My plane is boarding in 20 in minutes! If I dont get this fixed shortly im going to be screwed when I land and can't notify my family I've arrived in time for the funeral."
Operator: Sure thing, but first may I please have your phone number and account pin?
Me: "901-###-#### and the pin is ####"
Operator "Ok great, now can you please provide me with your devices IMEID number by going to your settings and tapping about phone or by opening your dialer and typing *#06#?"
Me "yeah hold up. Ok my IMEID is ************** "
Operator: "Ok thank you, now will you please restart your phone and tell me what pops up?"
Me: *lying* "yep." (checks email) "Are you still there?"
Operator: "yes sir."
(Note: Be ready to write down the service code) Me: *still lying* "Ok there is a pop-up that says service code and gives me the option to type below that it says ok and cancle."
Operator: "ok sir, now I want you to click in the area where it lets you type the service code and type 6-6-6-2-6-3 and press ok then let me know what it does then."
Me: *already in ##3282# editing apn* "It is regestering on the service. Now it says regestration complete, your device is now configured for service".
Operator: "ok is that all?"
Me: "yes thank you so much"
END OF CALL

Method 2: for success patience and time needed
1st) Install es file explorrer
2nd) Hold power button till you see the power menu (make sure debug button is enabled.)
3rd) tap and hold the power button till the safe mode option appears and turn on safe mode
4th) Once in safe mode run a bug report then open dialer and type ##33284# and type 123456 so it says incorrect code then type 000000 but dont press enter. Just wait for the bugreport to finish.
Hint: If your device restarts after typing 000000 re-enter safe mode and start with the code 123456 and press enter then wait till report finishes and tap save to ES then save anywhere on your SD card if available if not save in downloads folder. Then repeat these steps but type 000000 instaed of 123456.
5th) reboot normally and search bugreport for your six digit service code/unlock code.
=============!!!IMPORTANT!!!============= YOU MUST SAY FUNERAL WHEN TALKING TO CUSTOMER SUPPORT! IT IS A LOOPHOLE IN ALMOST EVERY CARRIERS POLICY! SAYING FUNERAL TO TECHNICAL SUPPORT IS LIKE THE FBI FLASHING THIER BADGE TO A SECURITY GUARD!
======================================[I MIGHT HAVE UNLOCKED THE BOOTLOADER]
I also think I found out how to unlock the bootloader by enabling wifi debugging via chrome then after doing so on Firefox Beta for Developers too, I continued using Firefox Beta for Developers and added a crosh shell addon and extention. If this worked I will create a thread explaining step by step how to: unlock the bootloader, root your LG Stylo 4, multiple ways to obtain your msl code aka service code, list of working and personally tested dial codes and possibly a few custom roms and instalation tutorials.
Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to live in the real world.
and in the real world, there has yet to be a plausible report with any proof of anyone actually rooting a Stylo 4.

Last edited:

ebs512

Mar 13, 2012
Austin
There was some security update today however it didnt change the android version so unexpected updates roll out?
There has to be a way to exploit something or a backdoor to root this phone! One of the best devices I have ever owned that I can't fully customize the way I want

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
I seriously doubt that there could ever be a bootloader unlocking software or service that uses the same method on ALL devices because of how much difference there is between android devices and how each of their bootloaders function based on how they are built/coded.

I suspect that software might be a scam of some kind, or at least it probably can't do the things it says. More than likely, it is fake, I didn't see anywhere to download the software. I would be willing to wager that the page you linked is just bait to direct you to some kind of survey that never leads to the actual download, basically, a scam for someone to make money from ads.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: tecknight

tecknight

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2010
Las Vegas
Redmi Note 9 Pro
OnePlus 8T
I seriously doubt that there could ever be a bootloader unlocking software or service that uses the same method on ALL devices because of how much difference there is between android devices and how each of their bootloaders function based on how they are built/coded.

I suspect that software might be a scam of some kind, or at least it probably can't do the things it says. More than likely, it is fake, I didn't see anywhere to download the software. I would be willing to wager that the page you linked is just bait to direct you to some kind of survey that never leads to the actual download, basically, a scam for someone to make money from ads.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
What @Droidriven said !!
A bootloader unlock code generator supporting a half dozen different manufacturers ??
About as likely as being struck by lightning at the epicenter of a 9.0 earthquake in the eye of a cat 5 hurricane

Reactions: Droidriven
Jan 24, 2019
So?

everyone has just given up on this phone, eh?

i don't understand why lg would do something like this.

its really sad that a good looking phone like that of the lg stylo 4 is unrootable and locked.

i mean seriously. this phone costed half the price of the Xiaomi PocoPhone F1. and manages to get a damn snapdragon 845 crammed in there for 350 bucks. i might trash the lg stylo 4 and get a PocoPhone F1.

Last edited:

tech15

Mar 26, 2017
everyone has just given up on this phone, eh?

i don't understand why lg would do something like this.

its really sad that a good looking phone like that of the lg stylo 4 is unrootable and locked.

i mean seriously. this phone costed half the price of the Xiaomi PocoPhone F1. and manages to get a damn snapdragon 845 crammed in there for 350 bucks. i might trash the lg stylo 4 and get a PocoPhone F1.

Aside from writing to LG and requesting that they provide an unlock code there's really nothing we can do. It's a shame. My Stylo has been lagging hard. I might go to Team Pixel (3)

Jan 24, 2019
Aside from writing to LG and requesting that they provide an unlock code there's really nothing we can do. It's a shame. My Stylo has been lagging hard. I might go to Team Pixel (3)
yeah, im not supporting lg anymore. they are very sneaky people. and im not gonna support them if they wont even let us gain more administrative privs to further customize our devices. its settled. im going to pocophone f1 for 350 bucks. i dont have time for their petty bull****

Reactions: redacted187

clxxxvii

May 12, 2018
I hate this phone

I hate this phone because I love it. I love everything abut it, the low price, the specs, the overall design- it's great. But as an android user of 10+ years, there are a few things I come to expect, and even require, from any new phone that I purchase. This phone meets everything on my personal checklist, including but not limited to the headphone jack, expandable storage, and great battery life. However being unable to access the files and modify MY PHONE that I own, is just unacceptable. I will be returning this device as soon as possible and switching to a more user friendly device. I will be avoiding purchasing LG phones in the future and I encourage all of you reading this to do the same. Until root is achieved this phone should be avoided.

Reactions: redacted187

Drakemor

Aug 27, 2016
Medford
I don't know if this will help, but I found this website. It's an app that's supposed to act like a root. I also read a section where it'll allow gain access to system file that are only accessible through root. I'm not very technically inclined, but maybe someone who is could see if there's anything useful for this phone.
I can't post links right now but if you search "android for hackers wonderhowto proot" it should be the first one. It is on bing.

Reactions: Aliceenlightend

Hoffty

Feb 8, 2019
This guy might be onto something if it lets you acess system files can the devs look into this I'm a big root enthusiast but not too good when it comes to developing stuff

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, just a status update. If you want root and/or custom ROMs on a Stylo 4, do not update beyond 20c and disable automatic updates. Currently working on porting TWRP, but as it stands I have what is effectively a bootloader unlock method. Release will be no sooner than June though but I'm hoping to have everything streamlined for the Stylo 4 /5 (and other LG phones) by then. https://twitter.com/ShinyQuagsire/status/1239749946141806592
    Look, I want root as much as the next guy, but it's not happening this time. We gotta keep bugging LG/MetroPCS so the next time they release a phone it's unlockable! In my opinion root isn't as needed, although I'm missing some features like the ability to download Instagram photos, and some eye candy mods, not much is needed.

friend just hold on,developers are going to surprise u, cos we are working hard to provide solution for this...i just a matter of time; soon u can root, unlock your device, do /customize whatever you want, we never back down NBD
    I tried the RAMpage exploit on my device using Drammer. " github/vusec/drammer" Using the open source build but it just crashed the phone. So I spent the better part of last night modifying the open source project with some moderate success in getting to run but most attempts ended in crashes before completion of the cycle. So then I tried the Drammer.apk and instead of crashing the phone the app would just close out after it made a run. So at least it was doing something. I opened up the Drammer.apk and pulled out rh-test64 from the assets folder in the apk .

I pushed it
    Code:
    adb push rh-test64 /data/local/tmp
    Then I ran Chmod 755
    Code:
    adb shell
    chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rh-test64
    and I ran it
    Code:
    cd /data/local/tmp
     ./rh-test64
    But that fails because it can't obtain contiguous memory.
    So I ran it with
    Code:
     ./rh-test64 -d6
    to free up some memory.
    and it finally works.
    However I haven't gotten a bit flip yet. But I just got this running. Not all devices are affected by it as it relies on defects in the ram chips to work. So even if I don't get a positive result someone else might.
    I'm currently running it like
    Code:
     ./rh-test64 -c2500000 -d6 -r10
    -c2500000 is supposed to give the most bitflips according to the drammer github

-c -d -r command line options with ./rh-test64 explained
    Code:
    Usage: ./rh-test64 [-a] [-A] [-c count] [-d seconds] [-f file] [-h] [-l seconds] [-r rounds] [-t timer]
       -a        : Run all pattern combinations
       -c count  : Number of memory accesses per hammer round (default is 1000000)
       -d seconds: Number of seconds to run defrag (default is disabled)
       -f base   : Write output to this file (basename)
       -h        : This help
       -l seconds: Log rotation (new log file) after this many seconds (default is 0 = disabled)
       -r rounds : Number of rounds to hammer all chunks (default 1)
       -t seconds: Number of seconds to hammer (default is to hammer everything)

Sorry that I couldn't link to the drammer github but I can't post links yet. Haven't been active on xda in a long time and can't remember my long in info.
    Also sorry for the terrible formatting of the post this has been a terribly long process of trying to get drammer to run as I originally was modifying the open source project little by little until I got the idea to look into the apk.
    Debloat Stylo 4....... no root

1.Enable USB debugging on you phone in dev settings
    2.Install adb
    3.Open adb
    4.Type adb devices(if you see your device on there you are good)
    5.Adb shell
    6.Now type "pm list packages"
    7.Select the app/package and type "pm uninstall -k --user 0 name of package”

Thanks to "Skunkser"
    Stylo 4 patched boot image

FYI, if anyone with a stylo 4 ever manages to get fastboot to flash images, here is a Magisk 18 patched boot image to flash to the boot partition.
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603892765
    If you are able to flash this, it will give you root.
    fastboot flash boot st4patched_boot.img
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's likely, but just in case.