[GUIDE][PROJECT CROISSANT] Installing official Chrome OS on any device (PC/PC-like)

Search This thread

nabil2000

Sep 12, 2005
London
Did someone mention that "nocturne" has a newer android version than let's say "fizz", that I'm using right now ?

Chrome OS r71 Google Pixel Slate code named "nocturne" has Android Pie v9 - so its recovery ROM has it - but it does not support camera on chromefied versions.

Android Nougat (7.1.1) is enough for most users, you won't notice much of a difference.

Furrs

Feb 24, 2018
Update &Help with Trackpad/Gesture

Technology is so great these days! :) Thank you Project Croissant!
I installed this on a HP 17 laptop - HP17-by0010nr / Pentium Silver 5000 using snappy and kip images.
Things are working good, including Play Store! I am writing this post on it now.
I upgraded the RAM to 16GBs and added a EVO SSD,and got an Octane 2.0 Score of around 18000.
A few issues that I am having that are common in this thread:
1. It stays at the Chrome loading screen until I press buttons.
2. WIFI isn't functional. I'm hoping for a fix for the Intel Wireless. When I try to enable WIFI, the slider slides back off. Going to try an ethernet to wireless adapter in the meantime. I tried a TrendNet USB wireless dongle, but no plug and play support. Currently using LAN port/hardwired.
3. The ChromeOS won't calculate a battery time remaining. just says 'Calculating' in the notification area. When I do a battery test in crosh, it states:
crosh> battery_test
No test length specified. Defaulting to 300 seconds.
Battery is discharging (100.00% left)
Battery health: 100.00%
Please wait...
Battery discharged 0.00% in 300 second(s).

If anyone has any tips on these issues, please share! Otherwise I will stay tuned to this forum for the latest!

Update
1. The battery issue from my original post is fixed. I had to enable a setting in the BIOS to display the battery stats on screen.

HELP!
Can Someone please tell me how I can get 2-Finger scroll on the Trackpad? This is a feature on my Acer Chromebook, and I've come accustom to the gesture for scrolling through pages and such.

Thanks.

nikcomp

Mar 30, 2011
Multimonitor support. I noticed with any build other than r68 and 69 that the 1080p display is washed out, aka over gamma'd. If I use a displaylink adapter with arnold the bat r72 it works. Has anyone else seen washed out 1080p. So far the best setup I've seen is. Arnold the Bat R72, eve r70, caroline r70. It only works with display link adapter for 1080p out but you get to keep tablet mode. Anything else something is lost. Whether bad 1080p on the external monitor or no chrome;//flags.

rakesh0385

Sep 20, 2018
London
Multimonitor support. I noticed with any build other than r68 and 69 that the 1080p display is washed out, aka over gamma'd. If I use a displaylink adapter with arnold the bat r72 it works. Has anyone else seen washed out 1080p. So far the best setup I've seen is. Arnold the Bat R72, eve r70, caroline r70. It only works with display link adapter for 1080p out but you get to keep tablet mode. Anything else something is lost. Whether bad 1080p on the external monitor or no chrome;//flags.

Had that issue with HDMI. Try DVI

ruslang02

May 11, 2018
Moscow

Having this issue right now! I personally don't have DP or DVI cables and that is a great shame, Any other solutions? Only ATB r69 maximum works

sheg0

Nov 20, 2010
Hi everyone,

I just installed ChromeOS on my HP Pro x2.
During chromefy-script it detects the installed build and asks "Local ChromiumOS installation detected; use local files (y/n)?"
Should I use the local files or not?

alesimula

Apr 2, 2016
Hi everyone,

I just installed ChromeOS on my HP Pro x2.
During chromefy-script it detects the installed build and asks "Local ChromiumOS installation detected; use local files (y/n)?"
Should I use the local files or not?

If the chromium version on the HDD is the same as the one running on USB (or it was chromefied with it) then you CAN answer yes, otherwise always answer no.

The question won't even be asked if a different kernel version name is detected

Last edited:

Iv4n99

Oct 25, 2018
Hi @alesimula !

I don't know if im doing something wrong but Google services crashes always :(

I tried all possible combinations
Eve/Pyro/...+Caroline/Kip+ChromiumOs/FydeOS

Play Store always crash with a simple tap with the mouse and also all Android related apps/settings

nabil2000

Sep 12, 2005
London
If the chromium version on the HDD is the same as the one running on USB (or it was chromefied with it) then you CAN answer yes, otherwise always answer no.

The question won't even be asked if a different kernel version name is detected
I always use same Chromium OS from & on what to "chromefy".

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

It seems the only way to tackle drivers issues is to build the Kernel.

So, trying to build a Chrome OS r72 Kernel to use on ATB r72 to address these drivers issues, particularly the inability to boot Acer Chromebook C720P -

As I have never done this before, I need some pointers as documentation for this is very sketchy on Google groups. RFC alesimula...

What I have available is Ubuntu Bionic, & necessary storage to build (over 100 GB) -

I also have a chromefied Nocturne SSD (on top of ABT r72) with Bionic crouton with same over 100 GB storage available.

I am recording my little adventure here -
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=78830818&postcount=3

Last edited:

nikcomp

Mar 30, 2011
Reactions: nabil2000

alesimula

Apr 2, 2016
Hi @alesimula !

I don't know if im doing something wrong but Google services crashes always :(

I tried all possible combinations
Eve/Pyro/...+Caroline/Kip+ChromiumOs/FydeOS

Play Store always crash with a simple tap with the mouse and also all Android related apps/settings

Answer "no" when it asks you if you want to keep selinux enforcing

Inerthia

Aug 30, 2009
Guys what am I doing wrong here? I followed every single step off the Dual booting document. My Grub Customizer even recognized the ROOT partition automatically. When I reboot and click on that partition, the screen stays black without any progress. Could someone please help me out here?

wizzardsk

Aug 16, 2013
Bratislava
About dual booting, it works just fine using the latest Croissant script. I think that the original dual boot guide is too much complicated and maybe a little useless now, when it is possible to do it much simpler. You just need installed and working Linux distribution on your computer.

I downloaded:
* Latest ATB special build (https://chromium.arnoldthebat.co.uk/special//Camd64OS_R72-11316.B-Special.7z) and unpacked it.
* Latest Eve recovery (https://dl.google.com/dl/edgedl/chr....104.3_eve_recovery_stable-channel_mp.bin.zip) and unpacked it.
* https://github.com/imperador/chromefy/raw/master/swtpm.tar
* https://raw.githubusercontent.com/incod3x/chromefy/master/croissant.sh

Then I unpacked ATB special build contents using PeaZip (http://www.peazip.org/) I only need one file: ROOT-A.img.
In Linux, I wrote this file to previously prepared ext4 partition (I used 4 GB for ROOT-A and also prepared 18 GB empty partition for STATE)
sudo dd if=ROOT-A.img of=/dev/sda7 bs=4M status=progress
(sda7 is my future ROOT-A partition)

Then I run croissant script. Note that sda7 is my ROOT-A partition, yours can be different
sudo bash ./croissant.sh /dev/sda7 chromeos_11647.104.3_eve_recovery_stable-channel_mp.bin swtpm.tar

And that's it. I just need to update the location of STATE partition. Open ROOT-A partition (/dev/sda7) and find the /sbin/chromeos_startup and change
Code:
STATE_DEV=${ROOTDEV_TYPE}${PARTITION_NUM_STATE}
to
Code:
STATE_DEV=${ROOTDEV_TYPE}8
if your STATE partition is /dev/sda8.

Finally update the GRUB.

Now you should be able to load Chrome OS from GRUB.

Last edited:

Inerthia

Aug 30, 2009
About dual booting, it works just fine using the latest Chromefy script. I think that the original dual boot guide is too much complicated and maybe a little useless now, when it is possible to do it much simpler.

I just downloaded the latest ATB special build (https://chromium.arnoldthebat.co.uk/special//Camd64OS_R72-11316.B-Special.7z) and unpacked it.
Also downloaded latest Eve recovery (https://dl.google.com/dl/edgedl/chr....113.1_eve_recovery_stable-channel_mp.bin.zip)

Then I unpacked ATB contents using PeaZip (http://www.peazip.org/) I only need 2 files: ROOT-A.img and STATE.img.
In Linux, I wrote those 2 files to previously prepared ext4 partitions (I used 8 GB for ROOT, 15 GB for STATE)

(sda5 is my future ROOT-A partition)

(sda8 is my future STATE partition)

Then I run chromefy script. Note that sda5 is my ROOT-A partition, yours can be different

And that's it. I just need to update the location of STATE partition. Open ROOT-A partition (/dev/sda5) and find the /sbin/chromeos_startup and change "STATE_DEV=${ROOTDEV_TYPE}${PARTITION_NUM_STATE}" to "STATE_DEV=${ROOTDEV_TYPE}8" if your STATE partition is /dev/sda8.

Finally update the GRUB.

Now you should be able to load Chrome OS from GRUB.

Note: The state partition although is 15 GB large, it seems like much smaller and can cause running out of free space. So I just opened PartitionManager and resized it 1 MB down and then 1 MB up and it is fixed, it has full size.

Thanks for your help! Im still having troubles though. When clicking the Chrome os in grub, it still won't let me boot through (black screen). I changed the state-dev to 7 since my device with the state partition is nvme0n1p7.

Any ideas?

wizzardsk

Aug 16, 2013
Bratislava
Thanks for your help! Im still having troubles though. When clicking the Chrome os in grub, it still won't let me boot through (black screen). I changed the state-dev to 7 since my device with the state partition is nvme0n1p7.

Any ideas?

Hi, I am not sure, maybe it could be some driver incompatibility. Are you able to boot just clean ChromiumOS without chromefy? The special ATB build I linked is the only one I was able to run, so maybe you should try another ATB and also another ChromeOS recovery instead of Eve.

Also, I do not have a NVMe, so maybe the state partition should be written using the full path, like /dev/nvme0n1p7 and maybe you also need to edit the line STATE_DEV="" and add the same path there.

Reactions: Inerthia
So is getting it to work on laptop wit dedicated nvidia graphics out of the question? or has anyone got it to work?
No success on a desktop all-in-one with nvidia graphics. The ATB Special build will boot and work in native resolution, but the screen will "tear" every once in a while and crash the browser. It recovers cleanly to a clean desktop. Under settings it thinks the screen "looks like 640x480" even when the native is 1600x900. I haven't found any way to resolve this with Chromium, and it seems if you can't get that to work Chromefy is a complete non-starter. Any attempt to chromefy a "working" special build results in the boot sequence failing when it tries to boot the kernel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    r2ZCej0.png
    CHROME OS ON ANY DEVICE

About Project Croissant (formerly known as Ć̸h̷̢̡r̢͝o̡҉ḿ̴̢̧e̷͜҉f̡͝y͝͞͡͡)

This project is aimed at making Chrome OS (the official releases by google) available for any non-chromebook devices (ATM The device must be able to boot from live USB, this excludes most Android-only devices);
    The steps can also be followed on a chromebook, to install an image with android and linux support.
    The script uses an official Chrome OS image, while it uses the Kernel and GRUB bootloader from another Chromium OS distribution (EX: ArnoldTheBat builds).
    This project has an official GitHub/Wiki page, a Telegram group, a Twitter page and is the result of many ideas and contributions.
    Please fill this survey to let us know whether Chromefy works (or doesn't) on your device

Required files

• An official Chrome OS recovery image (downloads on the right; RECOMMENDED: eve (best) or pyro are the most complete images [must be from the same chipset vendor (Ex: Intel, ARM or RockChip); If eve/pyro doesn't work, try an image from a device with a similiar chipset as your own]
    • Another Chrome OS recovery image from a TPM 1.2 device (EX: caroline or kip) or the swtpm.tar file (swtpm TPM2 emulator needs VTPM proxy support in kernel) (this step is only needed if using an image from TPM2 device to fix a login issue, which is most likely the case for newer ones)
    • An image from a Chromium OS distribution (EX: ArnoldTheBat builds).
    • The Chromefy installation script.

Installation guide (Partition method)

For method 1 (bootable USB image generation) check this video guide:

Method 2-B (chromium OS root partition conversion) described below:
    Other methods described in the official GitHub/Wiki page.
    This procedure will install Chrome OS on top of a Chromium OS kernel, you will thus need to install a Chromium OS distribution on your device first;
    RECOMMENDED: ArnoldTheBat builds
    NOTE: CloudReady builds are not yet supported due to a different partitioning scheme and incompatible kernel

If you consider this guide too generic, try reading a more comprehensive guide

1. Flash the selected Chromium OS build on a live USB, boot into the live USB and install it on your HDD/SSD by typing the following command on the shell
      Code:
      sudo /usr/sbin/chromeos-install --dst [COLOR=Blue]YOURDRIVE[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue](Ex: /dev/sda)[/COLOR]
      now make sure the your chromium HDD/SSD installation is working before proceeding.
    2. Resize the third partition of your sdX drive (EX: sda3 inside sda) from its current size to atleast 4GB; I suggest using Gparted live USB to resize it; you can either downsize sdX1 (data partition) or delete the sdX5 partition (we won't need it) to get more unallocated space.
    3. Boot from your live USB again, make sure you have your Chrome OS images available and run the installation script with the following command
      Code:
      sudo bash /path/to/chromefy.sh [COLOR="blue"]YOURSYSTEMPARTITION[/COLOR][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"](EX: /dev/sda3)[/COLOR] /path/to/chosenchromeosbuild.bin /path/to/carolinebuild.bin_OR_swtpm.tar
    4. Don't leave live USB yet, make a powerwash (manually) by typing
      Code:
      sudo mkfs.ext4 [COLOR="Blue"]YOURDATAPARTITION[/COLOR][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"](Ex: /dev/sda1)[/COLOR]

You can now reboot and enjoy your new "chromebook" :D

Images supporting swtpm TPM2 emulator

FAQ
    • Can I dualboot with Windows/Linux?
      Yes, but it's a little more complicated
    • Will this ever work on CloudReady?
      We don't know, nor we have any ETAs. There's currently a repartitioned image (still not working with chromefy)
    • My motion sensors do not work, how do I rotate the screen?
      Laptop mode/keyboard connected: press ctrl+shift+f3
      Tablet mode: use this app by Andrew Whaley (source) (check out his blog)
    • Linux apps (crostini) are not working at all, how do i fix it?
      Go check if you have enabled all virtualization related option in your BIOS (Ex: "Intel Virtualization", "VT-x", "VT-e" etc...) (you should)
    • Do automatic updates work? How to update?
      Not at the moment, and it's unlikely we find a workaround; you can update by ONLY repeating step 3 (without step 4).
    • ChromiumOS works on live USB but not HDD, what to do?
      Did you remove the USB before rebooting the fist time? If you did NOT, you might need to reinstall it. If you did, try using fix_grub.sh
    • Some apps (ex: Netflix) do not show up in the Play Store, how do I fix it?
      Read next answer
    • SafetyNet check fails, why?
      For SafetyNet not to break you need two things, leave selinux on enforcing when chromefying (only working on Pie, otherwise will break android container) and disable "cros_debug" in the grub launcher to boot without developer mode (Custom images [ex: CloudRadish] have custom boot entries for this)
    • ChromeOS flags are not showing up, why?
      Try opening the chrome://flags page in incognito mode.

Alternatives
    FydeOS

Fyde OS is a Chromium OS based operating system that comes with Android apps; if you don't want to bother with the hassle of running the chromefy script and just want an OS that works out of the box, this might be for you.
    ...Also the developers are awesome :D

ArnoldTheBat

Does not come with Android apps (yet), but he's awesome too, so there's that

Credits
    • allanin for all of his ideas on Arnoldthebat discussion, most part of the code is from him
    • TCU14 for upgrading, and the MultiBoot guide
    • Dnim Ecaep from the Telegram Group for the shell command to change the SELINUX to permissive
    • Diogo from the Telegram Group for the corrections on the firmware migration
    • Danii from the Telegram Group for the work on the TPM bypass method and TPM2 emulation method
    • sublinhado for writing down the steps needed for the TPM bypass method
    • alesimula for the installation script
    • Giedrius Tamošiūnas (liolka) for the custom chromium kernels
    • ++ some poor unlisted guys
    Tried that some time ago and never worked for me as well as this method, also this one let's you have Crostini with the new recovery images that have tpm protection.

That is simply a hardware based issue and not selecting the right build. I admit my project needs more work but even the github page tells you to use a build close to your own hardware. Also the TPM is bypassed and not a functioning part of the OS in this regard the same as mine, from a quick look anyway.

All this does is the exact same as my script but you have to download a lot of other crap too, my script does it all for you. This seems a rather long method to get the exact same thing.

Mine also doesn't require any messing with partitions, even between upgrading to newer versions.
    Amazing. Just confirming whether Google play store work in this?

Awesome work!
    Does it work with FydeOS builds?

Play Store (and crostini) works.

And yes, you can install it over FydeOS;
    Some users report Arnold kernel working better for them, for others it's Fyde, so just test both to find the best one for your device
    I'm using ArnoldTheBat's Chromium OS from a USB drive on Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, I wonder if I can install Chrome OS on top of it to the same USB drive? I want to keep my Windows 10 on the SSD intact and don't want to install Chromium on the different partition of the same SSD, because Windows update will inevitably mess up Chromium sooner or later. The laptop has 2 USB ports, so I would be able to use another USB drive if needed. I think many people would be grateful if someone wrote instructions on how to do it on a USB drive instead of a multiboot on one SSD/HDD. Thanks!