[ROM][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 15.x

Search This thread

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
Hello, I have a question.

Some time ago I have tried one the first LineageOS v15. It did run great, and I loved it, but the battery drain was terrible (half a day) without almost doing anything.
I went back to stock and now the battery lasts for about 1.5 days (in the evening when I go to bed I still have 65%).
So now I'm asking: how is it going now LineageOS with battery drain? Is it any better?
thank you!

My battery lasts 1.5 - 2 days using LOS 15.

Reactions: shkedov and lorife

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
Hello,
thank you for answering.
Did you modify anything or is it with standard ROM settings?

thanks!

No mods, but I prevent unnecessary apps from starting at boot using privacy guard, and kill background apps when I won't be using them for a while. I also turn radios (wifi, Bluetooth, NFC, etc.) off when not in use, and turn on airplane mode when out of cell range. Using black wallpaper and dark mode for apps that have a dark mode also reduces battery use.

adam-x86

Feb 5, 2019
Preparing to Install Fresh

Hi, all, I just received a new G900T and am preparing all the files to flash soon, including the latest official Samsung firmware from Sammobile.com. My only other experience with custom ROMs was with Wicked X and OctOS, both of which required or recommended the official stock firmware ROMs and TWRP recovery to be flashed over using Odin. But neither the stock ROM/minimum required firmware version or Odin is mentioned in the Lineage instructions.

So I'm assuming that the latest firmware is already built into the Lineage ROM apparently ... correct? Would it be best practice to make sure the latest stock ROM/firmware version is flashed before Lineage installation, or would that be completely superfluous considering that the System partition will be wiped before the Lineage flash anyways? Also, could I use Odin instead of Heimdall? Or is it recommended to just follow the Lineage installation instructions to a T? Finally, what is the best source to download the Samsung USB drivers, and what version should it be (because I have seen many different sources with varying versions -- no real obvious official latest versions, etc.).

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

Last edited:

Reverse-anastomosis

Oct 31, 2018
The developer for KLTE, haggertk keeps the baseband firmware available on his android file host. You can achieve the same effect by flashing the latest stock, then flashing lineage. Either way you need to make sure that you have the latest baseband firmware. Odin is fine, heimdal is fine. If you are going to use heimdal you will need to compile the most recent version from source. Odin is a leaked proprietary program which is why lineage doesn't touch it in the wiki.

---------- Post added at 04:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

Baseband firmware is not included with lineage. It doesn't really matter which drivers you use, as long as they work.

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 AM ----------

One more thing, you don't technically have to flash trwp for recovery, but its nice for updates and backups, so I would recommend it.

aureljared

May 2, 2013
dantis.me
Redmi Note 11
So I'm assuming that the latest firmware is already built into the Lineage ROM apparently ... correct?

Yes and no. Lineage 15 is built nightly with the latest Android patches, so it's always up to date. Lineage however does not include the modem firmware or any other low-level firmware, which is updated separately through either an official Samsung OTA or a manually flashed Samsung firmware.

Would it be best practice to make sure the latest stock ROM/firmware version is flashed before Lineage installation, or would that be completely superfluous considering that the System partition will be wiped before the Lineage flash anyways?

In this case, yes it would be best to flash the latest stock ROM prior to Lineage installation, to ensure that you have the latest security updates for the modem etc.

Also, could I use Odin instead of Heimdall? Or is it recommended to just follow the Lineage installation instructions to a T?

Yes you may use Odin, though you should download the .img.tar TWRP instead of the .img. This is what you will select in Odin's AP (or PDA in some versions) box.

Finally, what is the best source to download the Samsung USB drivers, and what version should it be (because I have seen many different sources with varying versions -- no real obvious official latest versions, etc.).

You can use Zadig to find the best driver for your device. I haven't tried it myself, as I've never had to install drivers for the S5, but this is what Lineage recommends. Follow the instructions here.

Sent from my starlte using XDA Labs

adam-x86

Feb 5, 2019
Hi, guys, thanks so much for your replies. I found where to find the most up-to-date Samsung USB drivers for my phone at samsung.com/us/support/downloads/ (before I had used developer.samsung.com/galaxy/others/android-usb-driver-for-windows, which seemed pretty out of date -- more than four years old!). By the way, Sammobile.com offers downloads for Odin directly off of their servers, which I thought was kind of surprising too considering how mainstream the website is and the leaked proprietary origin of Odin. Guess they're not too worried about it lol.

I updated to the latest firmware/baseband version for my model though. However, my process had me wondering if doing a factory reset in stock recovery kicks off the USB debugging mode ... does it not? (Since of course, if you enable it, then do a factory reset and system reboot, the dev. options + the USB debugging mode is disabled again.) But my process was to 1.) enable USB debugging, 2.) reboot into recovery mode, 3.) factory reset, 4.) reboot directly to bootloader, 5.) then finally to flash the latest stock firmware via Odin. Everything seemed to go smooth, but that had me wondering if the USB debugging gets disabled in recovery mode after a factory reset (since it does for sure at least after the first system boot). Is it not best practice to also do a factory reset before flashing a new ROM/firmware?

Thanks again!

aureljared

May 2, 2013
dantis.me
Redmi Note 11
I updated to the latest firmware/baseband version for my model though. However, my process had me wondering if doing a factory reset in stock recovery kicks off the USB debugging mode ... does it not? (Since of course, if you enable it, then do a factory reset and system reboot, the dev. options + the USB debugging mode is disabled again.) But my process was to 1.) enable USB debugging, 2.) reboot into recovery mode, 3.) factory reset, 4.) reboot directly to bootloader, 5.) then finally to flash the latest stock firmware via Odin. Everything seemed to go smooth, but that had me wondering if the USB debugging gets disabled in recovery mode after a factory reset (since it does for sure at least after the first system boot).

Yes, USB debugging is off by default on stock, and official Lineage too I believe.

Is it not best practice to also do a factory reset before flashing a new ROM/firmware?

If you are flashing an update (e.g. flashing a newer official Lineage build over an older official Lineage build, or flashing a newer stock ROM over an older stock ROM) then you do not need to perform a reset.

Flashing different firmwares (e.g. flashing an unofficial Lineage build over an official Lineage build and vice versa, or flashing Lineage over stock) requires a factory reset.

Reactions: adam-x86
S5 Flashing LineageOS 16.0 Over 15.1

...Flashing different firmwares (e.g. flashing an unofficial Lineage build over an official Lineage build...requires a factory reset.

I installed successfully on my daily driver S5 G900M klte haggertk's unofficial 16.1 over haggertk's official 15.1 back in November 2018 wiping only System & caches as described here New S5 LineageOS 16.0 haggertk 2019-02-09 Build! - Bug Report without having to reinstall all my apps & accounts & still running 3 months and three 16.0 updates later without any problems.

Only the Home settings (desktop) & apps icons had to be redone because the new LineageOS launcher in 16.0 called Quickstep is not the same as Trebuchet in 15.1.

The battery life is better in 16.0 IMO.

So if you guys are running 15.1, I suggest to do a full backup as described in that post, try 16.0 & if you don't like it you can quickly go back to 15.1.

Attachments

• Settings_Build_2019-02-09_LineageOS_16-0_S5_curiousrom.png
    Settings_Build_2019-02-09_LineageOS_16-0_S5_curiousrom.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 529
  • About_Phone_Build_2019-02-09_LineageOS_16-0_S5_curiousrom.png
    About_Phone_Build_2019-02-09_LineageOS_16-0_S5_curiousrom.png
    128.6 KB · Views: 527

aureljared

May 2, 2013
dantis.me
Redmi Note 11
I installed successfully on my daily driver S5 G900M klte haggertk's unofficial 16.1 over haggertk's official 15.1 back in November 2018 wiping only System & caches as described here New S5 LineageOS 16.0 haggertk 2019-02-09 Build! - Bug Report without having to reinstall all my apps & accounts & still running 3 months and three 16.0 updates later without any problems.

I acknowledge that dirty flashing might work in these cases, probably more so that both of those ROMs come from the same author, but prior experience with CyanogenMod (and now, Lineage) has taught me to err on the side of caution when it comes to these situations.

Glad to know that things are getting better these days. :good:

Sent from my starlte using XDA Labs

shkedov

Jan 14, 2015
Jerusalem
Another bug report -
After I updated to 23.2.19 build any app that I installed manually from file explorer has disappeared and I needed to reinstall them.
I updated using twrp, wipe cache and install zip. Then reboot to system.
Apps that have been installed via playstore stayed normally untouched.

I noticed that color accent in display settings is fixed, thank you!
The work is amazing, thank you again and again!

Last edited:
Reactions: jpierres

adam-x86

Feb 5, 2019
Unable to Root via TWRP Zip Installation

Hi, all, so far it looks like I have installed everything successfully on my G900T via the Install Zip feature in TWRP instead of using either Heimdall or ADB. LineageOS and Open GApps went smooth this way, but while the SU Addon (addonsu-15.1-arm-signed.zip) seemed to as well, the device failed to root, which I have confirmed 3 different ways (the LOS Trust feature, the L Speed app, as well as a root checker app all telling me that root access is disabled).

Also, just as a side note, the brightness slider doesn't adjust the brightness in any noticeable way on either the automatic or manual settings. Another peculiarity I noticed is that the stock ROM detected my SIM card/service provider correctly (Ting), but LineageOS thinks it's T-Mobile (printed in the mobile data settings as well as the top-let corner of the locked screen). The status bar is, however, showing the 4G/LTE symbols, so it seems like I still have full mobile data connection regardless.

Help with rooting would be greatly appreciated tho, as I read that other rooting methods in LOS aren't recommended or could destabilize the system. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi, all, so far it looks like I have installed everything successfully on my G900T via the Install.........
Go to the "About phone", scroll down to the "Build number" and keep tapping it till you see a toast message stating that your Developer options has been enabled.

Hit your back button once and you'll see the Developer options just above the About phone. Enter your Developer options and scroll down a little and you will see "Root access" that will reflect Disabled.

Just select it and you should see the options to choose for allowing Root access. Once your choice is selected, you should be good to go.

Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.

15.1 Now Weekly - LineageOS 16.0 for S5 Going Official

More info here: LineageOS 16.0 for S5 Going Official

LineageOS 15.1 will get weekly updates from now on instead of daily & no new 15.1 builds after Official 16.0 for S5 goes live as you can see in the LineageOS Gerrit links in that post..

Last edited:

adam-x86

Feb 5, 2019
Enter your Developer options and scroll down a little and you will see "Root access" that will reflect Disabled.

Just select it and you should see the options to choose for allowing Root access. Once your choice is selected, you should be good to go.

Ah hah! Bada bing, bada boom! Thanks so much for that tip, as now I'm rocking L Speed's super efficient power saving mods.

Also, the brightness slider is now working too ... not sure what changed besides enabling root access and L Speed.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Ah hah! Bada bing, bada boom! Thanks so much for that tip, as now I'm rocking L Speed's super efficient power saving mods.

Also, the brightness slider is now working too ... not sure what changed besides enabling root access and L Speed.

Thanks again.
I find that a reboot or two fixes brightness which I thought was down to my cheap replacement screen, apparently not , unless your is a non-Samsung screen too

fluxus_pt

Nov 20, 2016
Sintra
Hi all,
I've done a clean flash LOS + Gapps + Reboot + Magisk, and it seems that Magisk it's not loading, even if I install the Manager it says that It's not installed.

Any advice?

EDIT: I've installed v18.0 from GitHub repo, and voilá. All good, and updated to 18.1 via Manager.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yUIn6TF.png

Code:
    #include "std_disclaimer.h"
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. If you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Wiki.

Important Info
    To flash this rom you need TWRP version 3.2.1-0 or newer.

Build/Variant Map:
    klte - SM-G900AZ, SM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8, SM-S902L
    klteactivexx - SM-G870F
    kltechn - SM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduo - SM-G9006W, SM-G9008W
    klteduos - SM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedv - SM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdi - SCL-23
    kltekor - SM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Download Links
    rom: https://download.lineageos.org
    twrp: https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys5qualcomm.html

google apps (Optional): https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html
    root su addon (Optional): https://download.lineageos.org/extras Note: Use arm zips. After installing the su addon, you can enable root in developer options.

Instructions
    1. boot into twrp and wipe data and system
    2. flash rom zip
    3. flash gapps zip (optional)
    4. flash su addon zip for root (optional)
    Reboot & enjoy.

Bug Reporting
    If a bug is discovered, confirm it with other users in this thread, then report it following our wiki here: https://wiki.lineageos.org/bugreport-howto.html

LineageOS Stats
    https://stats.lineageos.org/

Credits
    Many thanks to the LineageOS team and all the contributors out there in the community

Source Code:
    Kernel tree: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_msm8974/tree/lineage-15.1
    Code review: https://review.lineageos.org

Android version: 8.1.0 Oreo
    Kernel version: LA.BF.1.1.3-00110-8x74.0 + Linux 3.4.113 + common/android-3.4 + a bunch of stuff
    I'm not dead, just ambivalent to threads and xda... but here's your thread anyway.
    I can't believe what that tease @haggertk had done when he had posted the following on another thread!

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=77393486

It has a screenshot of an S5 with a LineageOS 16.x Android 9 (Pie) Installed.

LMAO! :eek:

At least it reflects that their on the job continuing their great work. Especially when Samsung already placed the S5 on their EOL list that passed by, i believe, last year.

Just a friendly heads up! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my SM-G900V device.
    I've created a flashable zip to change the mic volume.

Values of mic vol changed from around 87 to 106

Flash in twrp (you will need to re-flash it each time you update the rom if you want to keep the changes)