Possible to edit/replace boot logo.bin after unlocking bootloader?

Search This thread

mn1968

Nov 7, 2011
I received my Mi A2 Lite yesterday (yay!). I have unlocked the bootloader and have rooted. I opted not to install TWRP since backups can't be restored. The only issue I have is with the unlocked bootloader...when I boot up I get the warning message that the system has been unlocked. Is it possible to edit the logo.bin with a different image so I (we) don't need to see that anymore? I am coming from a long use of several Moto phones where I could easily create a new logo.bin with a custom picture to hide the unlocked bootloader warning. I used a program called Moto Boot Logo Maker. It appears to be catered to the Moto line but may work with the Xiaomi. If anyone can provide the stock logo.bin I can try editing it. Or at least tell me how to extract the logo.bin from my phone. I tried extracting it with Terminal Emulator but it failed saying the location didn't exist. So what I need to find is the location.
Thanks!

mac12m99

Dec 17, 2014
inside stock rom there's a file called splash.img, that i think is the bootimage, but i'm not sure the warning can be removed, i think only the bootimage could be modified.
Also take care of what you are doing because flashing splash may brick your phone in a way that only edl mode can fix.
Let me know if you find a way :)

mn1968

Nov 7, 2011
I found this for the Xiaomi Mi A1. I replaced image #5 with the same Android One image that starts off the boot animation. I then resized all the images to 1080x2280 to match our device, and had to compress image #2 smaller for the program to run...but it completed without errors and gave me a splash image! I am hesitant to flash it though - the path for most devices appears to be:
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/splash
The path for splash image I found is:
/dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/splash
I have included the resulting splash image for anyone brave enough to try. It is NOT flashable. It will have to be done manually through adb or Terminal Emulator.

Attachments

• splash.zip
    427.9 KB · Views: 430

mn1968

Nov 7, 2011
I haven't been brave enough to flash my "new" splash.img yet. I have extracted the stock splash.img from the stock firmware download and am hoping/trying to find a way to extract/view the files/pictures on it before proceeding. I haven't had any luck using winiamge or other similar programs. Anyone have an idea to open/view the splash.img?

mn1968

Nov 7, 2011
Success...kind of. I flashed the splash.img I posted in post #3. I no longer get the warning to lock the bootloader. Instead it boots up with a dark screen and a small linux penguin...which is really weird because I don't know where that image even came from. I used a white background that said Android One. It's better than the warning image though.

Attachments

• IMG_20181030_194350.jpg
    IMG_20181030_194350.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 681

ncar123

Mar 16, 2018
Success...kind of. I flashed the splash.img I posted in post #3. I no longer get the warning to lock the bootloader. Instead it boots up with a dark screen and a small linux penguin...which is really weird because I don't know where that image even came from. I used a white background that said Android One. It's better than the warning image though.
Lol success!?

mac12m99

Dec 17, 2014
I have already seen that, it happens when spash image is wrong(i think on all qualcomm devices).

mn1968

Nov 7, 2011
I said "Kind of" :p

I have already seen that, it happens when spash image is wrong(i think on all qualcomm devices).
Wrong how? What would be needed to make it right?
I have replaced many logo.bin on Moto phones (qualcomm variants). It is easier though with Moto though since there is tool designed specifically for editing Moto logos. The tool I used from the Mi A1 may need to be tailored for the Mi A2 Lite but that is beyond my capability.

mn1968

Nov 7, 2011
Does anyone know any more about how to do this? I found that when I flashed the splash.img from post #3, aside from booting with a black screen with the Linux penguin, it also messes up the image on the fastboot screen (which is nothing special as it is). That being said, fastboot still functions with ADB, just the image on the phone is messed up. I wound up reflashing the stock spash.img and am dealing with the unlocked bootloader message.

Reactions: Embeeweezer

Embeeweezer

Feb 24, 2017
Does anyone know any more about how to do this? I found that when I flashed the splash.img from post #3, aside from booting with a black screen with the Linux penguin, it also messes up the image on the fastboot screen (which is nothing special as it is). That being said, fastboot still functions with ADB, just the image on the phone is messed up. I wound up reflashing the stock spash.img and am dealing with the unlocked bootloader message.

Did you manage to get any further on this? I'm considering to flash your image and get the Linux pinguin, it's better than the warning screen.

mn1968

Nov 7, 2011
I found this on Motorola One forum, it should work with A2 Lite. I didn't test it tho, I don't have unlocked bootloader.
I am 99.9% certain that won't work. Moto phones use a logo.bin. The Xiaomi uses a splash.img. FInding a program to edit the splash.img is the problem.

I am using splash.img from
https://translate.googleusercontent...JrhgOvxxsyFr7imjXOCYKUEm6Y9lTRw#entry83388689[/url]

Flashed via fastboot, works on Oreo as well.
Your link goes to a 400 error.

Top Liked Posts