[GCam] Nokia 7 Plus port by back.rider555

Search This thread

back.rider555

Mar 2, 2018
Hello.
Why not add the flash to night mode? I find this works very useful.

I know it's a great feature, but it's a bit complicated on my part, tbh. As I mentioned here, the Night Sight flash only works with the 8.1 fix enabled. While the code for NS flash is quite simple, the 8.1 fix is quite complicated since its specific codes are spread throughout the application; one wrong or missing adjustment, and it messes up a lot of features. I can only deal with a few minor features at a time, and this one here's on the complicated side that I would need a lot of time to work on. I hope you understand.

NahuelMS

Dec 14, 2015
Buenos Aires
I get what you mean. This JPEG quality also seems to be a popular demand ever since I mentioned it in a previous version. With that, I've just updated the app itself and added the options to choose JPEG quality (I find it too cumbersome to make another version release just for this feature so I just updated this version while it's still a bit early haha). And if you'll notice, I only added 3 options: 95%, 97%, and 100%. Why only 3? Because I really don't see the reason why anyone would go lower than that. Google Camera's default, I believe, is 95% so I guess no one would consider setting it lower than that. The fact that it's the assigned default value by Google implies that it's a good balance between quality and file size. I set this port's default to 97% because, as I've mentioned before, it's kind of an average between 95% and max 100%.

Thank you very very much! With that 3 settings for me is enough, i don't see no reason to use less that 95% neither!!

Thanks again!

alessa

Jul 5, 2008
I know it's a great feature, but it's a bit complicated on my part, tbh. As I mentioned here, the Night Sight flash only works with the 8.1 fix enabled. While the code for NS flash is quite simple, the 8.1 fix is quite complicated since its specific codes are spread throughout the application; one wrong or missing adjustment, and it messes up a lot of features. I can only deal with a few minor features at a time, and this one here's on the complicated side that I would need a lot of time to work on. I hope you understand.
yes of coursse. Thanks ?

navtab

Mar 29, 2013
Delhi
Night sight viewfinder gets struck even in slight dark. Configuration for 8.1 fixes that issue as present on others app. But your camera app gives really good pic. So pls give that option.
I am using Nokia 6.1 plus.

Saqueador80

Mar 18, 2019
Gcan 2.5

Me encanta esta versión yo tengo un Xiaomi mi A1 y va genial porfi funciona el enfoque automático en 12 MP aunque sea solo en retrato, para lo demás hay que bajarle a 9 mp, la cámara frontal en HDR sigue en verde y la cámara lenta no va pero es un avance las fotos en retrato salen muy muy bien muchas gracias

atasa1

Jul 13, 2018
Good job bro , let the shortcut for the slow mo cuz the photobooth seems useless at all :D . I hope u saw my previous comments about the camera base setting and the photos I compared .. and again thank you for your efforts brother .

What vesion of G cam do you use
And what are the configs

back.rider555

Mar 2, 2018
To all those owning a non-Nokia 7 plus, thank you for stopping by and trying this port. Let me just quote what was posted in the front page, in case you missed it:

This port is designed and is working well on my Nokia 7 Plus (TA-1046) running Android 9.0 Pie. For the most part, this needs no extra config after installation. I have, however, provided several extra settings that you may play around to your desire.
If it works on your non-Nokia 7 Plus device, that's great! If not, please do not request fixes and/or features and instead head over to this website and look for one that works well on yours. ALSO, if you are into a lot of mod settings, this may not be the port for you. Again, check the link for the other ports.

Although it's fine if you tell us that it works on your device, even if you encounter bugs. After all, feedback is feedback. Requests are a different story, however. ;)

mickey36736

Jan 10, 2013
Chiang Mai
Asus Zenfone 9
To all those owning a non-Nokia 7 plus, thank you for stopping by and trying this port. Let me just quote what was posted in the front page, in case you missed it:

Although it's fine if you tell us that it works on your device, even if you encounter bugs. After all, feedback is feedback. Requests are a different story, however. ;)

I tested this gcam on my zenfone 5z and it works quite well. But sometimes the shutter button doesn't work with hdr+ enhance
The focus tracking heat up the phone a lot when focus which is weird because it doesn't happen when I try arnova 1.4.0

Zoom doesn't work properly

Thanks a lot to those who shared their tests, photo samples/comparisons, and general feedback. And since the release of test2.4_lib, I've only seen comments on one lib: the Xtrme v2s. I've done lib tests myself, and indeed this seems to be the best of the bunch. So to make things simple, I would only be sharing one version with Xtrme v2s as the secondary lib.

Update: I made a last minute decision to add options for JPEG quality.

GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.5
Changes vs. test2.4a :
- Noise reduction enhancements: notable in HDR+ Enhanced and Night Sight; see attached (cropped) photo comparisons between test2.4 (left) vs. test2.5 (right).
- Returned the "Use custom lib" toggle: in case you want to use Xtrme v2s custom lib.
- Replaced Photobooth shortcut with Slow Motion: I believe this is a more useful shortcut. Still requires launchers supporting 5+ shortcuts like Nova+Sesame and Microsoft Launcher.
- Added "Set JPEG quality" options: allows you to choose between 95%, 97% (default), and 100% for the final JPEG quality. A few notes here.
- Lens Blur resolution defaults to 12 MP

NOTE: CLEAR DATA or CLEAN INSTALL is recommended for this version. And if double-tap-to-zoom doesn't work for you, enable it manually in Gestures -> Double-tap action -> Zoom.

Known issues:

- Tap-to-focus in video mode breaks autofocus; workaround is switching to other modes and back.
- Manual white balance in camera mode doesn't work, but it works in other modes; in Portrait Mode and on the front camera, it works with tap-to-focus.
- Some reports mention lagging of Google Photos. In my case, clearing Photos app cache did the trick, and so far it's working fine.

Download:
GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.5.apk

When I zoom in (like 2x) there is a drop in megapixels count to 4.5 MP from 12.2 MP. Plz fix this in next update ?

back.rider555

Mar 2, 2018
When I zoom in (like 2x) there is a drop in megapixels count to 4.5 MP from 12.2 MP. Plz fix this in next update

Thanks for the notice. This seems to happen when you use pinch-to-zoom and/or scrubbing the zoom handle beyond the 50% zoom. I get inconsistent replications of this bug, though. I'll get back to this soon. In the meantime, a workaround is to use the +/- button adjustments for the zoom-- it always produces 12.2 MP.

Oo..

Thanks for the notice. This seems to happen when you use pinch-to-zoom and/or scrubbing the zoom handle beyond the 50% zoom. I get inconsistent replications of this bug, though. I'll get back to this soon. In the meantime, a workaround is to use the +/- button adjustments for the zoom-- it always produces 12.2 MP.

Thanks for the temporary fix ?

back.rider555

Mar 2, 2018
I read one post in the Nokia 7 Plus - Philippines Facebook group asking about setting a different default gallery app when reviewing photos. So here's an attempt to give you the option to change the default gallery app.

GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.6
Changes vs. test2.5 :
- Added "Change default gallery": you can now change default gallery between the Classic Photo Viewer, Google Photos, and other gallery app of your choice (see screenshot 1)

If you select the "Other gallery app" option for the first time, when you tap the recent photo in the viewfinder you will be greeted with the list of gallery apps supporting the image review feature (see screenshot 2). Here you can set the gallery app of your choice, and choose "Always" in the second attempt. Not all 3rd party gallery apps support the image review feature, though. Also consider the following when using 3rd party gallery apps as default:
  • Image reviewing when launching camera from a pin-protected lock screen is not supported: rather, you will be redirected to the need of unlocking the phone to open the photo.
  • Unless the 3rd party gallery app supports viewing of all photos regardless of its folder location (Sony's Album, for example), reviewing Portrait photos contained in individual folders (i.e. when "Save portraits to DCIM/Camera/" is turned OFF) can be annoying since you need to open the entire gallery app to view photos in separate folders.
  • Same with the Google Photos bug, immediately opening the photo while HDR+ is still processing will bring you back to the viewfinder.
  • Same with the Classic Photo Viewer, deleting photos here after being automatically backed up via Google Photos will only delete the phone copy.

If you want to change the default 3rd party gallery app, simply open the App info of the current default gallery app -> Advanced -> Open by default -> CLEAR DEFAULTS. Then you can set the default gallery app again.

Known issues:

- If double-tap-to-zoom doesn't work for you, enable it manually in Gestures -> Double-tap action -> Zoom.
- Zooming in using pinch-to-zoom gesture and/or sliding the zoom scrubber sometimes produces <12.2 MP shots. To ensure consistent megapixel photos, use the +/- zoom control buttons instead.

- Tap-to-focus in video mode breaks autofocus; workaround is switching to other modes and back.
- Manual white balance in camera mode doesn't work, but it works in other modes; in Portrait Mode and on the front camera, it works with tap-to-focus.
- Some reports mention lagging of Google Photos. In my case, clearing Photos app cache did the trick, and so far it's working fine.

Download:
GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.6.apk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GCam-N7P.png
    The original thread of the first posts and discussions here.

Hello! With the plethora of GCam ports out there (thank you, devs), my very objective is to make all necessary features work on our phone, all the while making things simple and clean possible. In contrast with the existing ports that have a lot of settings to tinker, I am aiming for a no-config port that simply works well. Please note that I am not a developer per se; you see, this was just a hobby that I am doing on my spare time and it occurred to me one day that I want to share my efforts to everyone else.

This port is designed and is working well on my Nokia 7 Plus (TA-1046) running Android 9.0 Pie. For the most part, this needs no extra config after installation. I have, however, provided several extra settings that you may play around to your desire.
    If it works on your non-Nokia 7 Plus device, that's great! If not, please do not request fixes and/or features and instead head over to this website and look for one that works well on yours. ALSO, if you are into a lot of mod settings, this may not be the port for you. Again, check the link for the other ports.

WHAT'S WORKING
    • All photo (HDR+, Portrait mode, Panorama, Photo Sphere) and video things
    • Night sight
    • Tracking autofocus
    • Motion photos
    • Photobooth
    • Lens Blur
    • Slow motion
    • Face warping for front camera (can be disabled in later versions)
    • Playground (AR stickers): download here
    • Launching from lockscreen

DOWNLOAD
    GCam_6.2.030_N7P_test1.3 (final) (Original post)
    Changelog:
    - Toggle to directly save Portrait shots to /DCIM/Camera (thanks san1ty): a lot of people wanted this feature, so here it is. But be warned: I haven't done any extensive tests to verify if the portrait bug from previous versions still occur here; so far it's okay. Use at your own risk.
    - Toggle to use custom lib (from @cstark27): from the custom libs I've tried, Sav ZA v3 is so far the best in my opinion. It significantly reduces black crush while keeping noise reduction etc the same as stock lib. However, this also reduces overall contrast and/or saturation. It's your choice.
    - Enabled DCI-P3 color space: I honestly don't know what this does, but I hope enabling it brings some sort of improvement.
    - Fixed washed-out RAW photos (thanks for the tips @Urnyx05): RAW (.dng) photos now won't have washed out colors straight out of the camera.

Again, If the app is lagging or acting weird, just clear app data and follow the installation instructions described in the previous versions.

Download:
    GCam_6.2.030_N7P_test1.3

Previous versions:

GCam_6.2.030_N7P_test1.2 (Original post)

GCam_6.2.030_N7P_test1 (Original post)

GCam_6.2.024_N7P_test1.3 (Original post)

GCam_6.2.024_N7P_test1.2 (Original post https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=79349111&postcount=287)

GCam_6.2.024_N7P_test1.1 (Original post here)

GCam_6.2.024_N7P_test1 (Original post)

GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.6a (Original post)

F.A.Q.
    What are the GCam settings for?
    These are extra features on top of the original Google Camera app for Pixel devices that give more options for the user to play around. Later versions have a "Gcam settings info" page under "About", where each additional setting is briefly described.

What are the best settings?
    I made this port such that no special configs and adjustments are needed for the most part. You can change toggles like Location if you want, of course. Furthermore, I have included the GCam settings for additional settings in case anyone wants to do some extra modifications.

Why is it that when I zoom in completely, the display stops midway but the final photo is in fact zoomed?
    Why is it that when I double-tap-to-zoom, the final photo seems a bit shifted compared to what is displayed?
    I have answered it here.

Why is the max megapixels for front camera only 4MP while the stock camera can go up to 16MP?
    I honestly don't know why, but I'm certain that only the Nokia Camera can tap into the full potential of the sensor. Even 3rd party hardware analyzer apps would always declare 4MP. But it produces some seriously good photos for a 4MP size, don't you think?

Why won't it install in my device?
    This could be for a couple of reasons: (1) this was developed for Android 9.0 Pie, so no assurance that it will run on lower versions; (2) there could be conflict with an existing GCam app so in that case, uninstall that first before installing this. If both weren't the case, a reboot might help. Or in worst cases, a hard reset may be done.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK the awesome devs for the wonderful GCam ports. Of course special thanks to @Arnova8G2, @cstark27, @S4turno, @Tolyan009, B-S-G, and everyone at the "Nokia 7 plus google camera HDR+ ZSL" XDA thread and other social media platform. Best!
    Hi it's been a while. I had to set aside this coding stuff since I had to prioritize my Master's thesis these past weeks.

GCam_6.2.030_N7P_test1.3
    Changelog:
    - Toggle to directly save Portrait shots to /DCIM/Camera (thanks san1ty): a lot of people wanted this feature, so here it is. But be warned: I haven't done any extensive tests to verify if the portrait bug from previous versions still occur here; so far it's okay. Use at your own risk.
    - Toggle to use custom lib (from @cstark27): from the custom libs I've tried, Sav ZA v3 is so far the best in my opinion. It significantly reduces black crush while keeping noise reduction etc the same as stock lib. However, this also reduces overall contrast and/or saturation. It's your choice.
    - Enabled DCI-P3 color space: I honestly don't know what this does, but I hope enabling it brings some sort of improvement.
    - Fixed washed-out RAW photos (thanks for the tips @Urnyx05): RAW (.dng) photos now won't have washed out colors straight out of the camera.

And oh, before I forget:
    Q: Where's Google Camera v6.3?
    A: As of this writing, there had been no (very) stable public version yet, so I won't risk it. Plus other than being an unofficial version, the only significant change is Night Sight in place of Panorama in the viewfinder; nothing else.

Again, If the app is lagging or acting weird, just clear app data and follow the installation instructions described in the previous versions.

Download:
    GCam_6.2.030_N7P_test1.3

P.S. This will be the last version that I'll be sharing because I don't have my device anymore. Anyway, I'd like to thank everyone for all the help and support that made these ports possible :)
    GCam_6.2.024_N7P_test1
    This is my first release of Google Camera v6.2.024 that I optimized for Nokia 7 Plus. Everything in v6.1 still works including photo stuff, video stuff, slow motion, photobooth, lens blur, etc. with the following notable changes.

Changelog vs v6.1 ... test6a:
    - Overall performance improvements
    - Added "About" page
    ---> added "GCam settings descriptions" to serve as a quick guide for the different GCam settings options in this port.
    - Under "GCam settings":
    ---> minor rearrangements
    ---> added toggle for Dark theme
    ---> "Use custom lib" is Xlib v3: until more libs are ported with 6.2 compatibility, this is the viable option we have for now.
    ---> "Saturation" has been simplified to three (3) options: Low, Medium, and High
    ---> Removed the following options:
    -------> "Save portraits to DCIM/Camera/": due to stability concerns
    -------> "HDR+ Enhanced frames": frame number optimizations are already applied under the hood
    -------> "Maximum brightness"

NOTE: Uninstall any previous or related versions first before installing this.

Known issues:

- Manual white balance in camera mode doesn't work, but it works in other modes, typically with tap-to-focus.
    - Some reports mention lagging of Google Photos. Clearing Photos app cache would do the trick.

Download:
    GCam_6.2.024_N7P_test1
    This is more of a test version for the purpose of getting feedback. I added selections for camera model and denoise multiplier for front and rear cameras. I would really appreciate it if you share your recommended camera model and denoise setting combinations here with photo comparisons/samples. Out-of-the box the defaults are set to Pixel 3 XL model for both cameras, and 100% and 400% denoise for rear and front cameras, respectively (which is, in fact, the default settings of the previous test1).
    Just to share my initial trials this evening, the Pixel 2 XL model was the best for my taste. That's just me, and again, I'd appreciate if you share your settings here with photo samples.

GCam_6.2.024_N7P_test1.2
    Changelog vs test1.1:
    - Added front and rear camera model selections.*
    - Added front and rear denoise multiplier selections.
    *only Pixel 3 XL model supports Pixel 3 AWB.

NOTE: Fresh install or clear data after installation is highly recommended.

Known issues:

- Tap-to-focus in video mode breaks autofocus; switch modes/cameras to get it working again.
    - Manual white balance in camera mode doesn't work, but it works in other modes, typically with tap-to-focus.
    - If Google Photos app lags, try clearing the app cache.

Download:
    GCam_6.2.024_N7P_test1.2

P.S. I'll be taking a break from coding for a while. I have to send my device to the service center since its loosened charging port is getting worse. I've no idea when the device will return, but in the meantime your feedback and photos are very much appreciated. Thanks!
    The 'a' means this is a minor update. And same as before, I have both the lib and no-lib variants.

GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.4a
    Changes vs. test2.4 :
    - Fixed shortcut crashes when Lens Blur Mode is enabled: you know what that means? Yes, Lens Blur Mode is now permanently enabled (see attached screenshot 1); that also means the toggle to turn it on/off in GCam settings is removed. Many thanks to @Arnova8G2 for the fix.
    - Added launcher shortcut for Photobooth: this only appears in a some 3rd party launchers like Nova + Sesame (see attached screenshot 2) and Microsoft launcher because the stock launcher (and most other launchers) can only show up to 4 shortcuts max. (I tried adding a 6th, but it won't show up. Oh well, I guess 5 is enough haha)

Again, if you have any trouble with the app acting a bit funny, do the following: force close; clear data; clean install; reboot device.

Known issues:

- 60 FPS video doesn't work and only produces 30 FPS. I'm also not sure if our phone is even capable of recording 60 FPS in the first place.

Download:
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.4a.apk
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.4a_libs.apk