64bit kernel

Search This thread

dmilz

Mar 9, 2015
Lusaka
Can i build a 64bit kernel from the existing kernel source code here?
https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/releases/tag/MMI-ODS27.104-31-2

This phone has great portential am sure it can perform well on 64bit gsi roms, we just need a 64bit kernel and will also be able to use the existing Gcam for perfect photos.

I have read around and came across 64bit kernels and roms built for devices that were initially 32bit. But am not sure if we only need a 64bit boot.img or the bootloader and other stuff also need to be modified to support that code.

Reactions: Messiotavio

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Motorola Edge+ (2022)
Also need /vendor, blobs, etc. and... Whole new device tree or common tree. (For ROMs anyway)
For GSI, I would think minimum, 64 bit vendor

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

@dmilz
I say give it a shot if have kernel building knowledge. See if it works. If it doesn't, try working on vendor.

dmilz

Mar 9, 2015
Lusaka
Also need /vendor, blobs, etc. and... Whole new device tree or common tree. (For ROMs anyway)
For GSI, I would think minimum, 64 bit vendor

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

@dmilz
I say give it a shot if have kernel building knowledge. See if it works. If it doesn't, try working on vendor.

I see, sounds like a whole lot of work. Hope somebody comes to our aid. Would love to use gcam with potrait mode on this.

I see, sounds like a whole lot of work. Hope somebody comes to our aid. Would love to use gcam with potrait mode on this.

So much more possibilities would open with a 64-bit kernel (64-bit TWRP, Potentially ARM64 Treble, as well as apps that require 64-bit kernels). I would love to see a 64-bit kernel come to the Moto G6!

dmilz

Mar 9, 2015
Lusaka
So much more possibilities would open with a 64-bit kernel (64-bit TWRP, Potentially ARM64 Treble, as well as apps that require 64-bit kernels). I would love to see a 64-bit kernel come to the Moto G6!

You are right, we could enjoy better performance, better camera (gcam), 64bit recoveries like Orange fox and vast GSI roms. Hope somebody will work on it or come over to guide on how to do it.

Dadud

Jun 11, 2012
i dont think switching to 64 bit will give us ANY better performance. Fortnight will still not work, literally the only benefit would be better GSI support (though, they'll need to be extremely customized by developers still in order to have a properly working phone still) GCAM is going to suck with vignetting still like we get on the 32 bit, older version.

dmilz

Mar 9, 2015
Lusaka
i dont think switching to 64 bit will give us ANY better performance. Fortnight will still not work, literally the only benefit would be better GSI support (though, they'll need to be extremely customized by developers still in order to have a properly working phone still) GCAM is going to suck with vignetting still like we get on the 32 bit, older version.

Trust me, performance would improve, about fortnight gaming aint a priority for some of us. And gcam would work well if we have gcam version 5 and up. Like on the moto g5s, gcam works superb with sd 450 i got my facts straight

Dadud

Jun 11, 2012
Trust me, performance would improve, about fortnight gaming aint a priority for some of us. And gcam would work well if we have gcam version 5 and up. Like on the moto g5s, gcam works superb with sd 450 i got my facts straight

"trust me" is a phrase i never belive on these forums. how do yo know for a fact? wheres your proof? Gcam will still take ****ty photos without a modded APK.

"trust me" is a phrase i never belive on these forums. how do yo know for a fact? wheres your proof? Gcam will still take ****ty photos without a modded APK.
What do you not understand? It's pretty obvious that performance would improve. And regarding the "heavily customized GSI's to work with this phone", do you just have a hatred towards this phone? Android Oreo 32bit GSI's ran well (I never got Android Pie GSI's running), and literally THE ENTIRE POINT of the GSI is to be a Generic System Image, if a 64-bit kernel was released, most 64-bit GSI's would probably run. Also with the Gcam thing, The app doesn't decide the photo quality (and the G6 does take good photos for it's price range, it feels like you are trying to compare it to a Galaxy S10), the camera itself does.
Simply,
Fortnite isn't a priority.
Camera quality is usually determined by the camera itself.
GSI's wouldn't need to be heavily customized.
Performance would improve.

64-bit kernels naturally just run better than 32-bit kernels.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmilz

dmilz

Mar 9, 2015
Lusaka

64bit is known to use ram efficiently. Gcam ports for 64bit are pleanty, will just need to choose one with less bugs. You should have some hope, you sound hopeless

dmilz

Mar 9, 2015
Lusaka
What do you not understand? It's pretty obvious that performance would improve. And regarding the "heavily customized GSI's to work with this phone", do you just have a hatred towards this phone? Android Oreo 32bit GSI's ran well (I never got Android Pie GSI's running), and literally THE ENTIRE POINT of the GSI is to be a Generic System Image, if a 64-bit kernel was released, most 64-bit GSI's would probably run. Also with the Gcam thing, The app doesn't decide the photo quality (and the G6 does take good photos for it's price range, it feels like you are trying to compare it to a Galaxy S10), the camera itself does.
Simply,
Fortnite isn't a priority.
Camera quality is usually determined by the camera itself.
GSI's wouldn't need to be heavily customized.
Performance would improve.

64-bit kernels naturally just run better than 32-bit kernels.

Well spoken:cowboy::good:

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Motorola Edge+ (2022)
64bit is known to use ram efficiently. Gcam ports for 64bit are pleanty, will just need to choose one with less bugs. You should have some hope, you sound hopeless
Tell that to my Nexus 9. And all the other people owning a Nexus 9. A processor capable of running 64 bit, will run exponentially better on a 32 bit operating system. Especially with 2 GB of RAM.

Tell that to my Nexus 9. And all the other people owning a Nexus 9. A processor capable of running 64 bit, will run exponentially better on a 32 bit operating system. Especially with 2 GB of RAM.
How one device performs doesn't decide how all devices perform. Not only that, but you are comparing a tablet that was released in 2014 to a phone released in 2019. It sure sounds like you are saying 64-bit is inferior. There are several holes in your logic there, because first of all, all software will support 64-bit processors by August, and quite a few apps will probably become exclusive to 64-bit kernels and operating systems.

Last edited:

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Motorola Edge+ (2022)
How one device performs doesn't decide how all devices perform. Not only that, but you are comparing a tablet that was released in 2014 to a phone released in 2019. It sure sounds like you are saying 64-bit is inferior. There are several holes in your logic there, because first of all, all software will support 64-bit processors by August, and quite a few apps will probably become exclusive to 64-bit kernels and operating systems.
You have it a bit, muddied. Everything will be backward compatible for a while.
But I was saying, a processor capable of running 64 bit Android, will handle better on 32. I don't care for games on a phone, or camera apps with functions this phone will never have.
For day to day use, it will handle a bit better on 32. Trying to push this chip to Max itself out trying to manage 64 bit instructions and calculations isn't the answer to better performance.
But I can tell you're not going to listen to me. And I'm not trying to convince you.

The Nexus 9 part was just an example, not a direct comparison

Last edited:
But I was saying, a processor capable of running 64 bit Android, will handle better on 32. I don't care for games on a phone, or camera apps with functions this phone will never have.
For day to day use, it will handle a bit better on 32. Trying to push this chip to Max itself out trying to manage 64 bit instructions and calculations isn't the answer to better performance.
But I can tell you're not going to listen to me. And I'm not trying to convince you.

After reading that, I realize where you're coming from, and I took that out of context. I should've realized the Nexus 9 part was a example. And while yes, a 64-bit kernel wouldn't directly better performance, it would open up more possibilities regarding customization (for example, ARM64 GSI's would eventually work if we did this), but for now, we don't need a 64-bit kernel, and we should wait until it becomes a little bit more important (once apps begin abandoning 32-bit).

dmilz

Mar 9, 2015
Lusaka

But in reality you know there will be better resource handling on a 64bit kernel. It's alright if you don't care, some of us do. If you don't care, don't brush off the whole idea. Just be comfortable with 32bit then.

Top Liked Posts