Why don't ES File Explorer / a bunch of other file managers not work properly?

Search This thread

Frontier3

Jul 26, 2010
I can use the internal file manager and I've found one by cm_filemanager that works. But ES just doesn't show any files and a few others I tried seem to work but you just don't see any of your files on the phone.

Anyone know why this happens or have a way to fix it?

Thanks

wheresmybeaver

Jul 24, 2008
I think this is because many apps, file explorers in particular, need to be updated to work properly with Oreo (android 8.0) as there have been changes in background process usage, permissions, security etc.

I think I read somewhere a list of file explorers that work 100% with oreo so you may wish to have a google.

Secondly, I would recommend to NOT use ES File Explorer as it is apparently a shady piece of $hit software

Reactions: LowVolume

4rz0

Dec 2, 2010
ES works at least better for me than Solid Explorer (which seems to have its development stopped), it doesn't obtain write access to the memory card.

pbarrette

Aug 7, 2012
Alabama
ES works at least better for me than Solid Explorer (which seems to have its development stopped), it doesn't obtain write access to the memory card.
There's always Amaze file manager.

Works for me. Though, as with all FM apps now, the first time you perform an action on a file located on the external SD card, you will be prompted to grant access and need to do so by navigating to the root of the external SD card with the built-in file manager and hitting the "select" button.

Frontier3

Jul 26, 2010
I don't think it's 8.0 related because I have 8.0 on my pixel and ES File Explorer works perfectly.

I guess I'll just try giving some more FMs a try.

I thought I remembered this being a problem on my old z5 compact, but maybe I'm just making that up.

mhaha

Feb 13, 2014
I use Total Commander [free, ad-free], the UI is not the most user friendly or intuitive, but it gets the job done, has tons of features, and works on this phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MiXplorer is still one of the best file management apps for any Android device. Open source and extensible.
    I think this is because many apps, file explorers in particular, need to be updated to work properly with Oreo (android 8.0) as there have been changes in background process usage, permissions, security etc.

I think I read somewhere a list of file explorers that work 100% with oreo so you may wish to have a google.

Secondly, I would recommend to NOT use ES File Explorer as it is apparently a shady piece of $hit software
    Lol r u seriously using ES? Dude that is just a garbage app full of spyware.
    Totaly agree with @Dany XP
    Avoid ES as soon as possible. Here is explorer coming from XDA which great (used since a couple of years) > FX file explorer
    I can recommend x-plore.
    Really nice, very powerfull, and no ads!