How to re-lock bootloader

Search This thread
i cant get it done

The above specified method works. Thank you for laying it out for us, oh kind soul!

My story: I had earlier unlocked the bootloader in hopes of rooting my S10e, but backed off after the warnings regarding tripping Knox, as listed on this thread earlier. Having gotten to this point, it was completely pointless to keep my bootloader unlocked, since Samsung Pay and Health would no longer work. So I followed the above steps, and my phone's bootloader is now successfully locked.

How to re-lock bootloader, additional info: Just to clarify (since I got confused), after you complete step 2 above (press Bixby + Volume Down and connect phone to PC), the download mode appears (blue background screen). You can now release both the buttons. Read the instructions & options on the screen. From here, long-pressing the Volume-Up button will erase your phone and re-lock your bootloader.

@SakazukiAka: tagging you for your attention, since you asked.

bootloader screen doesnt show up even i press volume keys while in download mode screen..
please help..i need to take my phone to service to checkup the heating issue

DetourToNirvana

Jan 3, 2015
Hyderabad
bootloader screen doesnt show up even i press volume keys while in download mode screen..

You'll get it, don't worry. U may be missing something small. How far did u get? Did u press the bixby + VolDown and then plug in usb from ur computer? Once u get through that and see the options, it'll be pretty simple.

robbo1947

Jun 2, 2007
Manchester

Locking and unlocking the bootloader on the Galaxy S10 and Removing Root

During the last few days I have locked, unlocked, locked and unlocked again, probably 15 or 20 times to test various scenarios.
Please remember, each time you lock or unlock the bootloader all of your data is wiped.. any Root will also be gone. You will also be needing your current stock firmware.

Scenario 1. Your phone is rooted with Magisk.
Go into Developers options and check OEM options, the switch must be ON (to the right). If it isn't turn it ON.
Turn off your phone. Press and hold the Bixby and Volume-down button, then connect with USB to your computer. (The cable shouldn't be connected until after you press the buttons).
Within seconds of USB connection the Download screen will appear. You will see 3 optiions, choose and Long press volume up and hold button until you see the 2 options at bottom of screen. Choose and hold volume up until screen goes off. Then the S10 logo screen will briefly apppear, before it flicks back to the Download screen with the words 'VBMETA: Error verifying vbmeta image etc' at the top, as the image below.
This is all good so far. Leave the phone exactly as it is with this screen showing and make sure the phone is still connected to the computer.
On your computer, fire up Odin3_v3.13.1, you can leave the Reboot option in Odin ticked. Locate your stock firmware on your computer and put the 4 file parts (BL, AP. CP and CSC) into Odin.
Let Odin finish.
The phone will reboot ready for setup.
The Unlocked bootloader warning screen will be gone.

Scenario 2. Your phone has been rooted but isn't now, and the greyed out OEM switch is ON
Easy, turn off your phone and proceed from the 2nd paragraph of Scenario 1.

Scenario 3 Your phone has been rooted but isn't now, and the greyed out OEM switch is OFF
Sorry, but in this situation, you are going to have to root your phone with Magisk as the OEM switch will only be available when rooted.
When rooted, proceed as Scenario 1.

Scenario 4 Your phone has never been rooted. i.e. you unlocked the bootloader but never proceeded to root the phone
Turn off your phone and proceed from the 2nd paragraph of Scenario 1.

If you want proof that I have locked and unlocked time and time again see HERE

:victory:

Last edited:

dagrim1

Sep 1, 2008
Sheesh, is it so hard for ppl to respect other people's wishes and needs? I don't root my phone anymore because for ME it's not worth it atm... But I could think of some reasons:

Adblocking (sure, adguard works fine as well... but I still prefer the oldfashioned direct method)
Debloating (sure, apps can be disabled/frozen, but still)
Mods to camera, other mods

Rooting isn't useless, it just might not serve your uses.

About selling a rooted device, won't be an issue. Plenty of people don't care about it or plan on doing it themselves, just be honest and perhaps you loose a little bit of value but nothing major and most likely nothing at all. It sure won't be worthless.

Considering being able to lock/unlock oem, nice find! BUt indeed wondering, if it really does restore all functionality you normally loose when unlocking/rooting? (Google pay, safetynet, etc?)

vbmeta image: ok not signed (3)

Locking and unlocking the bootloader on the Galaxy S10.

During the last few days I have locked, unlocked, locked and unlocked again, probably 15 or 20 times to test various scenarios.
Please remember, each time you lock or unlock the bootloader all of your data is wiped.. any Root will also be gone. You will also be needing your current firmware.

Go into Developers options and check OEM options, the switch must be ON (to the right). If it isn't turn it ON.
Turn off your phone. Press and hold the Bixby and Volume-down button, then connect with USB to your computer. (The cable shouldn't be connected until after you press the buttons).
Within seconds of USB connection the Download screen will appear. You will see 3 optiions, choose and Long press volume up and hold button until you see the 2 options at bottom of screen. Choose and hold volume up until screen goes off. The S10 logo screen will briefly apppear, before it flicks back to the Download screen as the image below.
With the phone still connected to your computer, fire up Odin3_v3.13.1, you can leave the Reboot option in Odin ticked. Locate your firmware on your computer and put the 4 parts into Odin.
Let Odin finish. The phone will reboot and the Unlocked bootloader warning screen will be gone.

Scenario 2. Your phone has been rooted but isn't now, and the greyed out OEM switch is ON

Scenario 3 Your phone has been rooted but isn't now, and the greyed out OEM switch is OFF
Sorry, but in this situation, you are going to have to root your phone with Magisk as the OEM switch will only be available when rooted.

Scenario 4 Your phone has never been rooted. i.e. you unlocked the bootloader but never proceeded to root the phone

with your tutorial i finally managed to get to the relock bootloader screen..but now it says vbmeta:error verifying vbmeta image:eek:k_not_signed (3)
custom vbmeta
vbmeta : no sign info
vbmeta ,

please help me

i did it bro..thanks for the great tutorial..
i definitely recommend your totorial..
what i did after i relocked bootloder and vbmeta verifying error message, was just reflashed the stock firmware..
now i have very clean boot screens..

Last edited:

akkaria

Jun 13, 2017

Please remember, each time you lock or unlock the bootloader all of your data is wiped.. any Root will also be gone. You will also be needing your current firmware.

Within seconds of USB connection the Download screen will appear. You will see 3 optiions, choose and Long press volume up and hold button until you see the 2 options at bottom of screen. Choose and hold volume up until screen goes off. Then the S10 logo screen will briefly apppear, before it flicks back to the Download screen with the words 'VBMETA: Error verifying vbmeta image etc' at the top, as the image below.
This is all good so far. Leave the phone exactly as it is with this screen showing and make sure the phone is still connected to the computer.
On your computer, fire up Odin3_v3.13.1, you can leave the Reboot option in Odin ticked. Locate your firmware on your computer and put the 4 file parts (BL, AP. CP and CSC) into Odin.
Let Odin finish.

I too can confirm this method worked perfectly. My phone is all back to normal with all apps running and no more bootloader warning.

Thank you again for helping us work this out.

christis

Jun 15, 2007

YOU ARE THE MAN!!! THANK YOU!
Btw, Can this be used on Note 9 - If anyone knows??

Reactions: robbo1947

SakazukiAka

May 18, 2019

On your computer, fire up Odin3_v3.13.1, you can leave the Reboot option in Odin ticked. Locate your firmware on your computer and put the 4 file parts (BL, AP. CP and CSC) into Odin.
Let Odin finish.

Doing god's work, thank you very much for putting the effort into this :) I think you should even open a new thread for more visibility but that is up to you. Again thank you very much!

Reactions: robbo1947

robbo1947

Jun 2, 2007
Manchester
Doing god's work, thank you very much for putting the effort into this :) I think you should even open a new thread for more visibility but that is up to you. Again thank you very much!

Thank you for appreciating.
Don't forget the :good: on the post.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Do you mean that Knox is working again?

Sorry but there is absolutely no way of restoring Knox functionality once it has been tripped.

mains75

Mar 1, 2014
Thank you for appreciating.
Don't forget the :good: on the post.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Sorry but there is absolutely no way of restoring Knox functionality once it has been tripped.

So I wonder: why you should re-lock the bl? To delete the initial message only?

robbo1947

Jun 2, 2007
Manchester
So I wonder: why you should re-lock the bl? To delete the initial message only?

The Bootloader unlocked warning that appears immediately on switch-on on the newest generation of Galaxy devices is very much in your face and does intimidate users when wanting to gain access to Samsung warranty services. Also when coming to sell the device, it is very off-putting. Personally if was in the market for a used phone even knowing it was previously rooted, I would still buy it with that knowledge, but I certainly wouldn't buy it showing that alarming warning startup screen as soon as you switch on.
Over the air update functionality is restored upon relocking the bootloader.

akkaria

Jun 13, 2017
Do you mean that Knox is working again?

Apologies, i should've been more clear. All the apps that required Google Certification are working again but as Knox has been tripped, things like Samsung Pay, Samsung Health etc do not work and i dont think ever will once Knox has been tripped.

akkaria

Jun 13, 2017
The Bootloader unlocked warning that appears immediately on switch-on on the newest generation of Galaxy devices is very much in your face and does intimidate users when wanting to gain access to Samsung warranty services. Also when coming to sell the device, it is very off-putting. Personally if was in the market for a used phone even knowing it was previously rooted, I would still buy it with that knowledge, but I certainly wouldn't buy it showing that alarming warning startup screen as soon as you switch on.
Over the air update functionality is restored upon relocking the bootloader.

Thats correct, you also cannot access certain Google Play apps, even if you download the APK outside of the Play Store. For example, Netflix requires a Google Play Certified device as does Google Pay. Re locking the bootloader re certifies your device and allows these apps to work.

Keyush

Feb 5, 2019
SOLVED: Try This and It should work.

1. Turn off your device.
2. Press Bixby Volume down and connect your device to a PC to start the download mode (now you can release both buttons)
3. Read the text below on the Download Mode screen
to block or unblock the Bootloader. (I believe it will be "Long Press Volume Up To Lock Bootloader"
4.- Long press the vol (- or +) button as best suits you.
5. Simple Press the vol - or + and let it restart, and you're good to go.
:good:
Ready! Now you have a device with an OEM lock.

Good luck my friends!!!

robbo1947

Jun 2, 2007
Manchester
1. Turn off your device.
2. Press Bixby Volume down and connect your device to a PC to start the download mode (now you can release both buttons)
to block or unblock the Bootloader. (I believe it will be "Long Press Volume Up To Lock Bootloader"
5. Simple Press the vol - or + and let it restart, and you're good to go.
:good:
Ready! Now you have a device with an OEM lock.

Good luck my friends!!!

But what if Long Press option doesn't appear as screenshot below.

Attachments

• 20190621_221515.jpg
    20190621_221515.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 404

Keyush

Feb 5, 2019
You'll need to first flash using the latest stock firmware and include all the files in odin. BL, AP, CP and CSS.
Make sure you use the CSS file without "home".
There will be two css files, use the one without "home" and flash it. After you're done and you've set up the device, the stock bootloader should be installed, and you can follow the steps above to lock the bootloader.

robbo1947

Jun 2, 2007
Manchester
You'll need to first flash using the latest stock firmware and include all the files in odin. BL, AP, CP and CSS.
Make sure you use the CSS file without "home".
There will be two css files, use the one without "home" and flash it. After you're done and you've set up the device, the stock bootloader should be installed, and you can follow the steps above to lock the bootloader.

No you don't necessarily need to flash firmware.
All you need to do is go into Developer options and change the OEM switch.
Obviously you haven't read through the previous posts of this thread. I have already posted instructions on locking/unlocking the bootloader HERE

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Locking and unlocking the bootloader on the Galaxy S10 and Removing Root

Please remember, each time you lock or unlock the bootloader all of your data is wiped.. any Root will also be gone. You will also be needing your current stock firmware.

On your computer, fire up Odin3_v3.13.1, you can leave the Reboot option in Odin ticked. Locate your stock firmware on your computer and put the 4 file parts (BL, AP. CP and CSC) into Odin.
    Let Odin finish.

I was thinking of a way to block the bootloader, and I came up with something very basic, so please who can try the method, share whether it works or not.

1. Turn off your device.
    2. Press Bixby + Volume down and connect your device to a PC to start the download mode (now you can release both buttons)
    to block or unblock the Bootloader.
    LOCK BOOTLOADER:
    5. Long press the volume up button (+) until the computer is restarted (this will erase your data and restart automatically). :fingers-crossed:
    Ready! Now you have a device with an OEM lock.:highfive:

Good luck my friends!!!:D
    It works! (Apache style. Yes, I identify as an Apache helicopter))

I was thinking of a way to block the bootloader, and I came up with something very basic, so please who can try the method, share whether it works or not.

1. Turn off your device.
    2. Press Bixby + Volume Down and connect your device to a PC to start the download mode
    3. Press and hold the volume until the window to unlock or lock the boot loader appears. This will erase your data and restart automatically.
    4.- Press the vol (- or +) button that best suits you. :fingers-crossed:
    Ready!

Luck my friend´s

The above specified method works. Thank you for laying it out for us, oh kind soul!

My story: I had earlier unlocked the bootloader in hopes of rooting my S10e, but backed off after the warnings regarding tripping Knox, as listed on this thread earlier. Having gotten to this point, it was completely pointless to keep my bootloader unlocked, since Samsung Pay and Health would no longer work. So I followed the above steps, and my phone's bootloader is now successfully locked.

How to re-lock bootloader, additional info: Just to clarify (since I got confused), after you complete step 2 above (press Bixby + Volume Down and connect phone to PC), the download mode appears (blue background screen). You can now release both the buttons. Read the instructions & options on the screen. From here, long-pressing the Volume-Up button will erase your phone and re-lock your bootloader.

Thanks for checking the method, I'm glad it worked :victory:. I made some changes to the instructions based on your comment, Thank you I hope this helps for many more.:highfive:
    Most won't care. Omg security issue. Danger.
    PS: i don't even see why this thread is here, there is no point of it. If you need to sell the phone, just sell it. I don't understand this behavior, you've did it and now think that you should undone it as at is something shameful.

@DetourToNirvana
    Why did you backed off. You see i can use any piece of plastic to pay for anything, but can't replace titanium with plastic for example.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Still raving threads here with your expert opinion. Wow knox. K N O X. It adds so much value to it so without it it becomes negative.
    Everybody just thinking how they need know on their phone to use it as credit card, because it's if maximum importance. And health, without sung health you will stop sleeping and die in 3 months.

Useless drivel and incomprehensible rambling. Find a rock and crawl underneath it.