[GUIDE] How to enter developer mode on 2017 Honda Civic (and now root & install apps)

Search This thread

pitbrawlzant

Jun 22, 2012
Android Auto dash turn by turn

I have a 2016 civic ex-l and was wondering if there was a way to get turn by turn for Google Maps via Android Auto on the dash. I recently had a loaner from the dealer which did that. It was an 18 Civic ex-l with nav.

bubinga0904

Jun 19, 2019
Bypass the parking brake check

Just purchased and installed hondahack pro v4.9.28 on a 2017 Honda Accord. The install appears to completed properly.
Question: Where is the "Bypass the parking brake check" settings? I don't think it's working.

I looked all over the hondahack app but can't find it. Trying to enter an address in the stock navigation system software while driving gives the safety message that ...it cannot be perform while driving ... type message. Any idea?

Thanks

Last edited:

Mikeaube1984

Jun 19, 2019
Troubleshooting

Has anyone run into a system freeze after trying to install Google Play services? I can't reboot the head unit and can't get into development mode nor can I close the current "welcome" screen.

darky22

Feb 10, 2012
New York
Just purchased and installed hondahack pro v4.9.28 on a 2017 Honda Accord. The install appears to completed properly.
Question: Where is the "Bypass the parking brake check" settings? I don't think it's working.

I looked all over the hondahack app but can't find it. Trying to enter an address in the stock navigation system software while driving gives the safety message that ...it cannot be perform while driving ... type message. Any idea?

Thanks
I can give a better solution. Install google keyboard from Honda Hack app store and set it as default keyboard. Problem solved.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

I'm also interested. Any one can help?

There is an option in Honda hack to uninstall it afaik.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Has anyone run into a system freeze after trying to install Google Play services? I can't reboot the head unit and can't get into development mode nor can I close the current "welcome" screen.

Yes, everyone who installed google play services faced that issue. Uninstall it or factory reset it if you can go through the pains of resetting it and your headunit should be running like a horse.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

I have a 2016 civic ex-l and was wondering if there was a way to get turn by turn for Google Maps via Android Auto on the dash. I recently had a loaner from the dealer which did that. It was an 18 Civic ex-l with nav.

If your car has a nav from factory it will show up with honda hack. However I own a 2016 ex-t and I do not have the nav option and it doesnt show up with honda hack. From 2017 all models except lx had the turn by turn navigation on the dash even if you dont have garmin navigation in your head unit.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Thinking of if the honda hack supports teamviewer host mode, if i overlap a tablet over the headunit will i be able to remotely view the radio on the tablet? :)
Sounds like more trouble than being useful. Plus lets not forget how laggy that will be.

Reactions: pitbrawlzant

pitbrawlzant

Jun 22, 2012
If your car has a nav from factory it will show up with honda hack. However I own a 2016 ex-t and I do not have the nav option and it doesnt show up with honda hack. From 2017 all models except lx had the turn by turn navigation on the dash even if you dont have garmin navigation in your head unit.

I saw earlier in this thread that someone was able to install the Garmin app and a modified launcher to allow that being on a USB instead of the SD card. If i was able to replicate this, do you think that that would enable turn by turn? I don't care that I wouldn't have the maps for the garmin app.

panchox

Jan 24, 2015
Update your HU firmware to F197.00, you will lose sound from audio apps through Android Auto but directions from AA, sound from USB/Bluetooth/FM and everything else will still work.

Ludeape

Jul 2, 2015
Just took in for an oil change the other day.. no issues with hiding and restoring HH.. it worked perfectly :)
But i am still looking for a solution to cast a tablet from the back seat onto my head unit. Castreceiver works, but only like 1 out of 20 times.. very unreliable.

pitbrawlzant

Jun 22, 2012
So navi is possible on non navi units like my 2018 SI lots of trial and error but it works,.....just no maps at this point. Had to modify an apk to look for the garmin app in the USB drive 2 slot instead sdcard2 because the auto install.sh will uninstall the garmin app if not present on sdcard2. Still going to inspect my headunit for any sdcard slots or pin outside to solder to.

So in the end yes to navi on non navi just need a map unlock code ,I might try to call Garmin and see if I can pay to have my device registered maybe then I can generate an unlock file to unlock the maps
@sawixso81 Do you have the apk files you used for this available as well as the process of replacing the apk? Would root browser work for that or would it be an adb process?

Last edited:

sawixso81

Jan 25, 2015
Do you have the apk files you used for this available as well as the process of replacing the apk? Would root browser work for that or would it be an adb process?

I used root browser for most of my files,.....but you need to have a buddy willing to share the map files with you and some apk modifying knowledge, haven't messed with it in a while just got me a KTUNER to play with lol

pitbrawlzant

Jun 22, 2012
I used root browser for most of my files,.....but you need to have a buddy willing to share the map files with you and some apk modifying knowledge, haven't messed with it in a while just got me a KTUNER to play with lol

I am less interested in the maps, but trying to get turn by turn with AA. Did you notice if that worked when you did this? It seems to be included if the car has the nav option so I'm hoping by adding the Garmin apk it will add the turn by turn for AA.

sawixso81

Jan 25, 2015
I am less interested in the maps, but trying to get turn by turn with AA. Did you notice if that worked when you did this? It seems to be included if the car has the nav option so I'm hoping by adding the Garmin apk it will add the turn by turn for AA.
I thought turn by turn works with Waze it's an option you turn on in Honda Hack, what I hacked has nothing to do with turn by turn only with garmin:good::highfive::good:

There is a database file (not sure of the name) but there was an entry that said Navi with 0 for the value I flipped that to 1(did that to help make Garmin work,also that enabled voice navi commands and climate control commands) and another file called modelinf.xml that had some other lines that had navi labeled features as well, all of this is located in the mnt/data1 folder but changing this file breaks the hash key and and takes away options like your auto locks and window stuff. At the end of that file is a hash key just not sure how to embed my own key to keep those features yet, if I get more time the next few days I will try to look through some of those files

Last edited:
Reactions: felixlennart

pitbrawlzant

Jun 22, 2012
I thought turn by turn works with Waze it's an option you turn on in Honda Hack, what I hacked has nothing to do with turn by turn only with garmin:good::highfive::good:

There is a database file (not sure of the name) but there was an entry that said Navi with 0 for the value I flipped that to 1(did that to help make Garmin work,also that enabled voice navi commands and climate control commands) and another file called modelinf.xml that had some other lines that had navi labeled features as well, all of this is located in the mnt/data1 folder but changing this file breaks the hash key and and takes away options like your auto locks and window stuff. At the end of that file is a hash key just not sure how to embed my own key to keep those features yet, if I get more time the next few days I will try to look through some of those files

I think that only enables it with waze on the HU, not via AA. I just tried Waze on AA and it didn't work. I am going to install waze on the HU and see if it works but it would be nice if it worked with AA as well so I don't need to tether for turn by turn.

Toilet Paper

Mar 5, 2018

Nope. Honda only enabled this feature on the Touring model in 2016 model. 2017 and newer do have it on all models that feature the large infotainment display.
We are too few to have any interest in looking to enable this feature. I personally tried to go to the dealership and get my car firmware updated in the hope I would get the Civic 2018 firmware version and have this feature, but while I did get the same firmware version and got a very minor performance boost, I didn't. Even the startup text has not changed between the 2016 and 2018 infotainment.

Toilet Paper

Mar 5, 2018
Thank you very much codeage!
However, I think it would be better if you, at the very least, cut out "Honda" slogan at the end of the video, before you give Honda ammunition for legal reasons to go after you, with claims that you are trying to associate this project with Honda, as if Honda supports or endorse it, and not to mention trademark disputes and such. Hate to see this project gone for silliness.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE] How to enter developer mode on 2017 Honda Civic (and now root & install apps)

======================

Honda has changed the password to enter the developer mode in new vehicle models so the old method described in this thread may not work any longer. If you have difficulty entering the developer mode or do not have a laptop, you may consider trying the new web based installation (paid service). The new method supports almost all Honda vehicles including Civic, CR-V, Accord, Pilot, Ridgeline and Clarity. For more information please refer to: xxxxxxx Mod Edit: Link removed.

:D:D:D

======================
    Updated 2020.10.02
    Display compass and rich vehicle information in the instrument cluster. Display advanced turn-by-turn directions while using Waze. Try it now (for Civic and CR-V only): Mod Edit: Link removed.

:p
    civic_advance_meter_navi.jpg

======================
    Updated 2020.03.08
    Support playing FLAC lossless audio directly in the factory USB audio player (for Civic & CR-V only).

:p

======================
    Updated 2019.06.22
    Open rear camera by one click.
    Real-time monitoring of battery voltage with voice alarm.
    Seat belt voice alarm.
    Show CPU usage, battery voltage in the status bar.

======================
    Updated 2018.09.14
    New test version: display turn-by-turn navigation directions in the instrument cluster, in conjunction with Waze.

======================
    Updated 2018.01.14
    A totally new One Click Root tool (Windows GUI version) and Honda Hack app were released. With the help of Honda Hack app, we can install apps without a laptop. What's more, we can enable the steering wheel audio controls, save offline maps and songs to the external USB drive now.

======================
    Updated 2017.09.27
    Finally I solved the auto reboot problem while remounting the system partition. Enjoy it!!!

======================
    Updated 2017.06.26
    Now we can root the head unit and install apps. Below are the detailed steps, please use at your own risk.

Detailed steps:
    1. Enter developer mode and enable USB debugging.

• Go to HOME > Settings > System > Detail information.
    • In the Android Settings window, click About.
    • Click the Build Number seven times exactly.
    • Now you will see the Please enter a passcord prompt.
    • Click the top 4 items in order 1, 4, 2, 3 and you should unlock the developer mode.
    • Go into Android Settings > Developer options and enable USB debugging.
    civic-1.jpg civic-2.jpg civic-3.jpg civic-4.jpg
    2. Change the USB role of the head unit from Host to Device.
    • Press the power, menu, and brightness button at once, and hold until you enter a new menu with two options.
    • Click the bottom option called Detail Information & Settings.
    • Now hold the MENU key to enter another menu.
    • Then Hold the HOME key to enter the last menu. You should first hear two consecutive beeps and then one final beep.
    • Lastly, change the role of USB Port from Host to Device.
    • Now connect your laptop to the front Android Auto/CarPlay Port using the USB A to A cable.
    3. Run the One Click Root
    • Disable your anti-virus and/or anti-malware programs before continue.
    • Download the root tool: HondaHack.zip
    • Extract HondaHack.exe from the ZIP file.
    • Run HondaHack.exe and it should connect to the head unit automatically. Android ADB USB Driver should be installed automatically in the meanwhile.
    • Click the ROOT button and wait for the processing to complete.
    • After the head unit is rebooted, you should see Honda Installer in the app list. Honda Installer was installed as a system app so you will not lose it after a factory resetting.
    • Open Honda Hack and click Install an app to install apk files you saved in the internal sdcard or external USB drive.
    4. You can also Install Honda Hack if you would like to have more powerful features including:
    • Install apps without a laptop.
    • Bypass parking brake.
    • Enable steering wheel controls for civic & accord.
    • Force landscape mode so apps such as Spotify will display properly.
    • Enable write access to the external USB storage (pro only).
    • Auto click the OK button at startup (pro only).
    • Auto run app at startup (pro only).

5. Change the USB role of the head unit from Device to Host.
    • Do this just like the reverse action in step 2, otherwise the USB port will lose its charging capacity and CarPlay / Android Auto will stop working.

Download Honda Hack: HondaHack.apk

If you do not like the GUI version, you can still download the original command-line version from GitHub: https://github.com/codeage/root-honda

Some files and scripts were obtained from this thread: https://xdaforums.com/android/general/guide-how-to-gain-root-shell-2016-honda-t3487644 and all credit goes to @jersacct.
    @codeage

These are all my edits. I thought I would share them with you and the community. I'm sure you could integrate all the build.prop additions in your installer. I think if you dig around you will be able to script all of the things kernel adiutor is doing with a 5 second delay after boot. Then there would be no need for the app anymore. I hope this helps to make a more fluid experiance for all.

(Edit build.prop) (located in root/system/)
    (Only use root explorer)(it is the easiest method because you cannot alter or delete values with kernel adiutor)
    (Long press on the file, then hit menu and select open in text editor)

(Add these lines exactly as posted bottom or end of the file)

ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
    net.tcp.buffersize.default=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
    net.tcp.buffersize.wifi=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
    ro.config.hw_quickpoweron=true
    windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150
    ro.min_pointer_dur=8
    ro.max.fling_velocity=12000
    ro.min.fling_velocity=8000
    persist.sys.scrollingcache=3
    debug.sf.hw=1
    debug.performance.tuning=1
    video.accelerate.hw=1
    debug.egl.profiler=1
    debug.egl.hw=1
    debug.composition.type=gpu
    media.stagefright.enable-player=true
    media.stagefright.enable-meta=true
    media.stagefright.enable-scan=true
    media.stagefright.enable-http=true
    media.stagefright.enable-rtsp=true
    media.stagefright.enable-record=false

(Alter this value)

(From)

dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y

(To)

dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=v,o=y

(After inputting and altering press menu then save, then press menu then save and exit. You will see that root explorer made a file named build.bak this is your original build prop that they changed the extension on. If you wanted to revert back you could rename the extension to .prop and replace the modded one)(you would also need to make sure the permissions were the same after renaming build.bak to build.prop if going back)
    (After completion reboot your device for the new build prop to take effect)

(Now for kernel adiutor app - download from Google play on your car) (make sure to tick apply on boot to all things)

1.) Go to CPU and change cpu governor to Userspace (helps so reduse wear on system)

2.) Go to thermal and turn thermald on (prevents cpu overheating)

3.) Go to i/0 and change external storage read ahead to 1024 (makes external storage load faster)

4.) Go to low memory killer use slider to adjust settings:

Forground Applications = 18
    Visible Applications = 22
    Secondary Server = 32
    Hidden Applications = 101
    Content Providers = 139
    Empty Applications = 149

5.) Go to entropy and adjust both read and write values to 256 (this is how much is preloaded for memory so the system doesn't bind)

6.) Go to misc and change your host name to something shorter (I renamed mine "Car") (Shorter names typically connect up faster)

7.) Go to settings and change apply duration to 5 seconds after boot.

( * I take no credit if you kill your dog or burn your house down. These settings work fine for me and I am willing to risk my edits, it's your choice to do this or not. I am not accountable for anyone elses actions. I hope this helps the community here * )

* Ps if owners do not know, long pressing the home button will access recent apps so you can close running apps or switch between them easier.

Pss also using a 2018 civic ex hatchback
    DSP Flat!!!

Hello all,

DSP Flat / EQ Off can be achieved, easily!

Attached here is the stand alone apk made with Tasker. Simply install the apk, allow root permissions, and let it run. This changes DSP to Flat / Eq Off. You'll have to run the program every time you start the car, I have a shortcut on my home screen.

Thanks to @panchox for the initial logcat finding. I tried all kinds of stuff with kmod ect. and found this was the simplest solution. This apk is just like the video @shinemonmond posted but, I made it myself because I got sick of waiting for others to post this.

With out further delay here it is, may your ears rejoice!

Leave me a thanks thumbs up if this has helped you.

Cheers!
    Honda Hack 5.0 released!

===== What's new =====
    1. Open rear camera by one click.
    2. Real-time monitoring of battery voltage with voice alarm.
    3. Seat belt voice alarm.
    4. Show CPU usage, battery voltage in the status bar.

How to show web browser on 2018 Honda CRV

I hope this is relevant to this thread as this is my first post. I found a way to enable the browser on my CRV however once you shut the car off system resets and you have to repeat the process. Since this is my first post I can put any links. Go to YouTube and search for “2018 Honda CRV showing web browser” and you should find it. I posted the video on March 31, 2018.

Thanks.
    T.