[GUIDE/TOOL]the ultimate DFU UNBRICK TOOL

Search This thread

raystef66

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jul 2, 2013
Belgium
ZTE Axon 7
Xiaomi Mi 9
I've got a weird brick I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I had a working Liquid/Speedy GSI setup, and I I wasn't flashing anything. My phone was in my pocket and the power button got pressed for a long time--several reboots. Anyway now the phone is totally non-responsive. No sounds, vibrations, or LED from the phone no matter what buttons I press, or if I plug in the phone to power or computer.

The phone does however show as Qualcomm HS-QDLoader 9008, like it is in EDL mode, but I can't get it to flash anything. MiFlash (which I've used before) fails with "missed hello packet, try to recover". EDL Tool connects to the device but any operation hangs at "Loading the programmer: prog_ufs_firehose_8996_ddr.elf". The MultiDL tool doesn't change that behavior, and I can't figure out how to use MultiDL to flash an EDL (it will either hang or do nothing), even in win 7 compatibility mode, but I'm not positive how this is supposed to work.

I'd tried different versions, different drivers, different ports, different cables, different computers, but there is no difference.

Any ideas?
Saw your post as for now. Perhaps you already figured it out ?
I had this once, also the phone showed up as Qualcomm but a no go on EDL Tool. The phone was stuck in EDL.
Only thing that helped (for me) was just letting to drain the battery overnight. Once drained and you press power, you'll notice 1 red blink. Your battery's drained. Now launch the EDL Tool, use the button combo again to boot into EDL, connect to PC and you'll see that you can flash the EDL Rom again.

Also, take a look into THIS.

Reactions: StickMonster

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
@StickMonster: Following the steps in my post that @raystef66 linked, I think there should be at least a 95% success rate, but I make no guarantees. The only times my steps may not work would be in the case of hardware damage, or extreme stupidity/inability to follow instructions. Or, in rare cases, the user has a very old/weird PC that isnt compatible with the tools you need to use to get out of a brick. Let us know if you get it fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: StickMonster

StickMonster

Feb 27, 2009
OnePlus 7 Pro
It was a long hard road, but I think I'm back. There was some really strange behavior so I haven't ruled out hardware (and I have had a minor water issue in the past). I'm watching it before I switch it back to my daily driver. Thank you both for your interest.

FrankLiszt

Feb 24, 2019
Thank you so much, Raystef.

I'm trying to go back to Nougat 7.1.1 B35 from Lineageos 15.1, but after I flash the phone goes to recovery then crashes to a black screen. What can I do? I've flashed it 3 times and this always happens.
Any way to revert back to Nougat from Oreo?

Last edited:

kruckers

Mar 12, 2013
It doesn't work on my hard bricked phone.

It doesn't work on my phone. The phone doesn't turn on and it doesn't charge the battery. Works in EDL mode. The computer sees it as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM21). The ZTE Terminal SUF program can see it but displays the dissconetct status. MiFlash also sees it as COM21 but when flashing stock rom displays status "can not receive hello packet ...." and later error.

Attachments

• ZTE2.JPG
    ZTE2.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 274
  • ZTE3.JPG
    ZTE3.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 274
  • ZTE1.JPG
    ZTE1.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 278

Soyunamortz

Jun 5, 2015
It doesn't work on my phone. The phone doesn't turn on and it doesn't charge the battery. Works in EDL mode. The computer sees it as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM21). The ZTE Terminal SUF program can see it but displays the dissconetct status. MiFlash also sees it as COM21 but when flashing stock rom displays status "can not receive hello packet ...." and later error.
Use the tool by djcuz

CelesteBlue

Jul 8, 2016
Green ZTE logo brick (maybe worst than DFU)

Hello,
my Axon 7 A2017G is stuck on a a green ZTE screen with "powered by Android". I cannot power it off. I can't go to recovery. I can't go to to EDL mode. I can't boot to Android.
I can't use fastboot but fasboot devices recognize it. I can't do adb reboot edl because adb devices doesn't recognize it.
In peripherals manager, it is not recognized as a "PORT". It is recognized as an ADB fastboot device.
I don't know what you call "DFU".

Please help.

runninghamster

Dec 30, 2017
Melbourne
ZTE Axon 7
Samsung Galaxy S8
Hello,
my Axon 7 A2017G is stuck on a a green ZTE screen with "powered by Android". I cannot power it off. I can't go to recovery. I can't go to to EDL mode. I can't boot to Android.
I can't use fastboot but fasboot devices recognize it. I can't do adb reboot edl because adb devices doesn't recognize it.
In peripherals manager, it is not recognized as a "PORT". It is recognized as an ADB fastboot device.
I don't know what you call "DFU".

Please help.
Use an OTG adaptor and drain the Axon's battery by using the Axon as a sort of "power bank" for another device. You can also leave it on, but I'm not sure how long it will take to drain / if there will be screen burn-in.
You can also open up the phone and unplug the battery if you want to attempt that.

Last edited:
Reactions: CelesteBlue

CelesteBlue

Jul 8, 2016
It was not a hard brick !!! UNBRICKED

Use an OTG adaptor and drain the Axon's battery by using the Axon as a sort of "power bank" for another device. You can also leave it on, but I'm not sure how long it will take to drain / if there will be screen burn-in.
You can also open up the phone and unplug the battery if you want to attempt that.

Thanks for your quick answer.
I don't know how to disassemble it and I would like to avoid as there is no screws.
I let it all the night and it drained completely. Then I charged it a bit and started in EDL mode.
I restored my backup using Axon 7 EDL Tool and it came back to life !!!
So this green ZTE logo is not a real brick. If you are stuck just let the battery drain then reboot in EDL mode.

Moreover, I semi bricked again for the science: it's when installing A2017G&U-remove_BL_warning.zip or patch_unlock.zip
(aim is to remove unlocked bootloader message) on Oreo. If you have a solution to keep TWRP, unlocked bootloader, but get rid of the unlocked bootloader message, please let me know.

runninghamster

Dec 30, 2017
Melbourne
ZTE Axon 7
Samsung Galaxy S8
Thanks for your quick answer.
I don't know how to disassemble it and I would like to avoid as there is no screws.
I let it all the night and it drained completely. Then I charged it a bit and started in EDL mode.
I restored my backup using Axon 7 EDL Tool and it came back to life !!!
So this green ZTE logo is not a real brick. If you are stuck just let the battery drain then reboot in EDL mode.

Moreover, I semi bricked again for the science: it's when installing A2017G&U-remove_BL_warning.zip or patch_unlock.zip
(aim is to remove unlocked bootloader message) on Oreo. If you have a solution to keep TWRP, unlocked bootloader, but get rid of the unlocked bootloader message, please let me know.
Great to see that you got it all sorted out. To remove the unlocked bootloader message, the patch_unlock.zip should work, but if it's giving you problems then you can change to another bootstack without the message. I recommend changing to Verequies B20 bootstack, it has no message. Simply flash in TWRP, and you're good to go.
Here's the bootstack: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16S3fqEsuNfu_dlVO83-8kJKXosfWuqKx/view

Reactions: CelesteBlue

Tenker

Nov 1, 2010
I'll describe my problem:

I downgraded my Axon 7 first with the FW A2017G-MM-B10.zip to use the method
Manual - [Tool] Axon7Toolkit version 1.1.1 & 1.2.0&New 1.2.1
to open the bootloader.
Reset, then use Axon7Toolkit v1.2.1 to open the bootloader via the item
7. UNLOCK BOOTLOADER
opened.
Nothing more done than NEW booted... did not work, because...
The red LED was on all the time and I couldn't reboot!
If I pressed the OFF button for a longer time, the phone vibrates briefly, then the LED goes out briefly but then continues to light up.

I followed the instructions:
1. mobile phone with pressed Vol - & + button plus power button connected to PC via USB cable (picture 1)
2. ZTE DFU_MultiDL_A2017X_Tool started (picture 2)
3. USB port entered in the software (picture 3)
4. the moment I click OK, my phone disappears from ports (COM & LPT) and ZTE DFU_MultiDL_A2017X_Tool (picture 4) and is recognized as USB device QUSB_BULK below!
5. if I start again from point 1, the result is repeated.
6. but if I start DFU_MultiDL_A2017X_Tool running in the background, where the port is entered as correct USB_112, my mobile phone is recognized immediately as USB device QUSB_BULK (picture 4). With a different or no port, I can repeat the "game" as from point 2.

Can anyone help me with what I should do now to revive my phone?

Thanks Tenker

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

EDIT 18:21h

I was successful on another PC.
Could flash A2017G_B09_Android 7.1.1_NOUGAT_FULL_EDL Successful (see picture).

Reacts to no keys and screen stays black.

Only via -> mobile phone with pressed Vol - & + button plus power button connected to PC via USB cable. The mobile phone is called
Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM7)
recognized see image).

But how do I restart the phone?

adroeurope

Dec 2, 2011
HEEEEEELP!!!
Yet annother axon7G bricked, annother situation, annother challenge and posible help for others in the same situation.
To make it short, from Liquid wanted to try Lineage16, flashing bootstack resulted in Start screen. Before, only problem was volume down not working.
Now - I'm stuck on start screen - "cant be checked for corruption". Volume keys dead. power button dead. I opened phone, took out battery, contact the misterious point to ground, does not restart. Only wakes on charging and else connecting to pc.
PC does not recognizes phone in any mode. Cannot be shut down/restart from power button.
Only way to restart is removing battery connector/plug back - power from charger or connected to pc.
I cannot bypass the start screen.
Phone os open, I can take out cables and go again to test pin shortcut, allthought I did it before wihout succes.
Removing outsode power, battery shows 4,3v.

Sooooo, any solution? I don't want to give up this lovely phone. Navigation is great, camera ....I make astrophoto/video (system lens removed).

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

runninghamster

Dec 30, 2017
Melbourne
ZTE Axon 7
Samsung Galaxy S8
HEEEEEELP!!!
Yet annother axon7G bricked, annother situation, annother challenge and posible help for others in the same situation.
To make it short, from Liquid wanted to try Lineage16, flashing bootstack resulted in Start screen. Before, only problem was volume down not working.
Now - I'm stuck on start screen - "cant be checked for corruption". Volume keys dead. power button dead. I opened phone, took out battery, contact the misterious point to ground, does not restart. Only wakes on charging and else connecting to pc.
PC does not recognizes phone in any mode. Cannot be shut down/restart from power button.
Only way to restart is removing battery connector/plug back - power from charger or connected to pc.
I cannot bypass the start screen.
Phone os open, I can take out cables and go again to test pin shortcut, allthought I did it before wihout succes.
Removing outsode power, battery shows 4,3v.

Sooooo, any solution? I don't want to give up this lovely phone. Navigation is great, camera ....I make astrophoto/video (system lens removed).

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
When you connect the phone to your computer, check Device Manager. Under "Ports" section of Device Manager it should show up with something, either DFU or Qualcomm EDL.
If it shows USB Device, you can still recover.
From DFU or USB, you can use the DFU Unbricking Tool from raystef66 and recover the device by flashing a stock firmware EDL package.

adroeurope

Dec 2, 2011
Anotherone bites the dust....but...wakesup!

QUOTE=runninghamster;79741487]When you connect the phone to your computer, check Device Manager. Under "Ports" section of Device Manager it should show up with something, either DFU or Qualcomm EDL.
If it shows USB Device, you can still recover.
From DFU or USB, you can use the DFU Unbricking Tool from raystef66 and recover the device by flashing a stock firmware EDL package.[/QUOTE]

OK, under no circumstances device manager recognised phone. Tried again to shortcut to ground the test pin - untill I uninstalled every driver, I could not do anything. OK - uninstall/cables out /shortcut pin/connect cables/connect to pc - qualcomm driver appeared.
BUT.
No way to do anything - in device manager, after refresh command, driver turned red. ONLY after uninstall and repeated all stuff, the right driver appeared. Multi DFU tool...did not succeded to connect. Miflash dit. And....succeded to flash A2017G_B03_OREO_FULL_EDL. Well....better now....
For the moment, I'm stuck in the coloured logo...understand that I cannot install twrp unless turn on developer options, right? ...keep fighting...:)

runninghamster

Dec 30, 2017
Melbourne
ZTE Axon 7
Samsung Galaxy S8
OK, under no circumstances device manager recognised phone. Tried again to shortcut to ground the test pin - untill I uninstalled every driver, I could not do anything. OK - uninstall/cables out /shortcut pin/connect cables/connect to pc - qualcomm driver appeared.
BUT.
No way to do anything - in device manager, after refresh command, driver turned red. ONLY after uninstall and repeated all stuff, the right driver appeared. Multi DFU tool...did not succeded to connect. Miflash dit. And....succeded to flash A2017G_B03_OREO_FULL_EDL. Well....better now....
For the moment, I'm stuck in the coloured logo...understand that I cannot install twrp unless turn on developer options, right? ...keep fighting...:)

If you're suck on the Axon 7 boot animation logo, you need to reboot to the recovery (it'll be the stock recovery). If you find that not even your power button works, you'll need to wait for the phone to drain it's battery. I believe you can also connect another phone or something like a USB, etc. to the phone via an OTG adapter to help drain the battery faster.

Once the battery is drained and the phone turns off, you'll need to turn it back on, but make sure you're holding power button + volume up button to boot into recovery. Once you're in the stock recovery, you'll need to factory reset the device and wipe the cache too. The phone will boot after this.

Last edited:
Reactions: adroeurope

adroeurope

Dec 2, 2011
Unbricked, thank you.

If you're suck on the Axon 7 boot animation logo, you need to reboot to the recovery (it'll be the stock recovery). If you find that not even your power button works, you'll need to wait for the phone to drain it's battery. I believe you can also connect another phone or something like a USB, etc. to the phone via an OTG adapter to help drain the battery faster.

Once the battery is drained and the phone turns off, you'll need to turn it back on, but make sure you're holding power button + volume up button to boot into recovery. Once you're in the stock recovery, you'll need to factory reset the device and wipe the cache too. The phone will boot after this.

Well...first I installed A2017G_B03_OREO_FULL_EDL. No way - for me - to root or install twrp. So - after draining battery with a usb led lamp, I installed A2017G_B10_FULL_EDL.

Yes! That made the difference. Installed twrp, installed trebble twrp, shut down, put back sd card, restart in twrp - restore from backup - back in business! Thank you for your help.

Now I wait for a new camera - first ....gone, :) - and will be able to make 4k videos with the moon again.
Axon7 - great phone. Thank you. Adrian.

Reactions: runninghamster

Misiantowski

Nov 8, 2014
Łódź
My AXON 7 is recognized as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 in COM&LPT but all the time when i'm trying to flash EDL ROM in XiaoMiFlash i have always the same issue ->
Bootloader is probably locked.
Screen is always black (any ZTE bootlogo or something) also LED indicator give no sign of life ...
Any ideas ?
First bricked unbrickable SD820 ?
Best regards and thanks in advance

Choose an username...

Oct 16, 2016
My AXON 7 is recognized as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 in COM&LPT but all the time when i'm trying to flash EDL ROM in XiaoMiFlash i have always the same issue ->
Bootloader is probably locked.
Screen is always black (any ZTE bootlogo or something) also LED indicator give no sign of life ...
Any ideas ?
First bricked unbrickable SD820 ?
Best regards and thanks in advance
that's literally how edl looks, don't try to draw conclusions...

Try uninstalling the Qualcomm 9008 driver (uninstall device, also tick delete driver software) and hold all 3 buttons of the phone until the led flashes and device manager refreshes. it should install the right driver (could be DFU this time around) and you can try again.
Btw you can also use EDL Tool, sometimes one works when the other one doesn't

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A2017X DFU MultiDL Tool…
    The Ultimate DFU to EDL Mode Unbrick Tool

DFU bricked ??....It seems opening the phone is history.... ;)
    DFU bricked ??....Throw away that EDL Cable.... ;)

My friend @Aviver saw this post on myzte.cn : http://www.myzte.cn/thread-356482-1-1.html
    @Teet1 linked us the download and @Aviver could test it on his bricked DFU phone and guess...IT WORKED !!!

A) How To : Follow the setup here and read a more in depth review of @AnonVendetta HERE

B) Tool : New ZTE DFU_MultiDL_A2017X_Tool.exe ;) ( english setup )

Free translation :
    [B][A2017 save brick] official tools to save brick to the DFU mode free disassemble into the 9008[/B]
    today to help the Friends group @ Chi Feng Lan Moon Shadow shoes cracked a flash tool.
    After selecting the port with software, DFU can actually enter 9008, preventing brick.
    After entering 9008, you can switch to miflash or Qualcomm qpst.
    Of course, this software can also be used directly for flashing.
    1. Connect the mobile phone to the computer, recommend the system Windows 7, install ZTE's own driver package, 9008 driver package (miflash comes with), miflash brush tool (alternate) . Install the provided SalesMultiDL_A2017 tool (this is the official after-sales tool, provided by the netizen, invade and delete), and find the installation directory, the patch file is overwritten by the main program, and the crack is completed.
    2. Press and hold the power button to decrease the volume to enter the factory mode. If you can't boot directly, skip this step in dfu mode.
    3. According to the help file of the software, view and select the port. Displaying “Connected” means that the machine is recognized. Click the green play button to start, observe the restart of the mobile phone, and disconnect the data cable to enter the port 9008. This step may be different, there are also cases where you select the port directly into the 9008. You must observe the port of the computer device manager in the form of dfu or edl 9008, 4. After entering 9008, theoretically select the installation package from below and click on the green player. The button can start to brush, here ZTE official line brush package is not available. So this step turns off the software and changes to the miflash brush package to try to brush. -------------------------------------------------- ----- Other ways to enter the 9008 port: 1. In the early version, press and hold the power button and the volume up and down buttons simultaneously. 2, you can enter the system or twrp, computer command line mode, adb shell reboot edl. 3, can not boot, search for millet engineering line production method to make millet engineering line to enter. 4. Disassemble the test point to enter 9008. This method can be replaced by the tool provided in this post.
    GOOD NEWS FOR EVERYONE !!!!
    When your phone is in DFU and nothing seems to work to get EDL to work and connect to 9008.....seems that this tool, once it is installed, running and connected to your phone, you just have to close the program and open MIFLASH to flash your EDL....THAT SIMPLE !

Hereby a quick guide :

1. Download the tool DFU_MultiDL_A2017_tool or from dropbox thnx @Teet1 for his initial upload !
    2. Extract the 7z
    3. Install the setup.exe (it's in chinese but just follow the '>' and you'll be ok
    4. once done, replace the ZTE_Sales_Update_Framework within the program folder on your drive
    4a how to get english program UI (until we have a new english setup.exe ready)
    Connect your phone
    5. Start the program and follow the pictures down below
    5.1 Only work with the left button, tap on it and select the first option
    5.2 You have to see to which port your phone is connected to, remember that one and choose that one out of the list on 1--USB
    5.3 Apply that choice using the right button below
    6. After you succesfully noticed your phone was connected, close the program and open Miflash....you should be able to flash an EDL rom again

That's the way @Aviver did re-aviver-ed his phone in DFU mode...that simple !

Seems like the axon7 should be unblickable now :cool:
    Thnx. Also having an account there but we have the same problem. That's why someone who's more regularly on these sites could help.

You could also download it via the Baidu link. Someone just posted it but you have to register for Baidu. I have a registered account there (had to jump through some hoops) but I've managed to download it for you so no one else has to do the same. The download was also painfully slow. Here you go:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlrsf4erdnbzsnv/SalesMultiDL_A2017_Crack.7z?dl=0

Create a new thread on it if you like for a guide! This will be extremely useful for permanent bricks. Nice find :good:
    Made an english version exe;)

ZTE DFU_MultiDL_A2017X_Tool.exe

Quick Guide :

1. Download the tool ZTE DFU_MultiDL_A2017X_Tool.exe
    2. Install the exe
    3. Start the program and follow the pictures down below
    4a Use the left button, tap on it and select the first option Portconfig
    4b Tap Port Manager to see to which port your phone is connected to, remember that one, close and choose in Port Config 1--USB and select the port USB you are connected too.
    4c Apply that choice using the right button OK below
    5. After you notice the port is showing up, your phone will be visible again as Qualcomm 9008 in your device manager. Its UNBRICKED !!!
    Close the program and open Miflash, (bring your phone into edl mode if needed) and connect....you should be able to flash an EDL rom again

ENJOY !

pics source : myzte.cn
    I didnt have enough time yesterday to post my steps, but here they are anyway:

Download these files before starting:
    1. ZTE handset USB driver and Qualcomm EDL 9008/USB driver (https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603913612
    2. Latest version of the MultiDL Tool (https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410932744536984126
    3. MiFlash (may not be the latest version but it has always worked for me, https://build.nethunter.com/misc/axon7/MiFlashSetup.msi
    4. Axon 7 EDL Tool (optional, but sometimes works better than MiFlash and has more features, refer to the forum thread for details on how to use it, https://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4682066&d=1546889147

For a clean start, uninstall the DFU MultiDL Tool and MiFlash from Windows Control Panel. Open Device Management (search for devmgmt.msc from start menu, or hit Windows key+R, type it in, press Enter). Enable the viewing of hidden devices, open every category and uninstall every driver that mentions ZTE, Qualcomm 9008 (not exact wording but it will be obvious). Be especially sure to check under the Unknown/Other categories, as well as USB and Ports categories. If a checkbox appears asking to remove the driver, click it, then OK.

I'm not sure if the next step is absolutely necessary, but I sometimes didnt get driver install prompts if DSE is enabled. Modern Windows 64 bit OSes since Vista have Driver Signature Enforcement enabled by default, which can prevent a driver from installing. All provided driver files should be signed but it's better to get this right the first time. So:

Open a command prompt as admin (type cmd in Start menu, right click, run as admin), type the following, reboot again:

bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING ON

Afer you have rebooted you will notice a watermark in the lower left of your desktop. It is insecure to run Windows with DSE always off, so when done with all my steps you should type the above command again, but change ON to OFF and reboot.

Next steps:
    1. Extract @raystef66's A2017G_Driver.zip, it says G but it will work on A2017/A2017U models too.

2. In the extracted Windows folder, run Autorun.exe as admin (ZTE Handset driver).

3. In the other extracted folder you will find 3 files ending in inf, right click each of them and click Install. Dont worry about the other subfolders. This is the Qualcomm EDL 9008 EDL/USB driver.

4. Install MiFlash

5. Install ZTE MultiDL Tool.

Do the above steps *IN THE ORDER* I have listed them. And dont plug phone into PC until you have done all the steps.

Now you are ready to use the DFU MultiDL Tool. Use the pics here as a visual reference (https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=77926571&postcount=35

Now, make sure phone is off. Hold volume up, volume down, then power in that order, but keep all buttons held down. You should feel a vibration, maybe not. If you see a solid red light/LED in upper left corner of phone screen, this is DFU mode. Red light that either blinks or turns off is EDL, you can just skip the DFU MultiDL tool and go straight to flashing with MiFlash or A7 EDL Tool. You can also use Device Management as an indicator for which mode the phone is in.

Plug in device to PC, open the DFU tool. Find the Port Config button, then click Port Manager. If your phone isnt listed as a COM diag port then this probably wont work. Under the line where the COM button is listed, remember the USB number. Close Port Manager, click line 1, then select the USB number you saw. Then click OK. You should hear a USB disconnect sound on PC, and the red light should turn off. This means you are in EDL mode (or should be). Close the DFU tool and open either MiFlash or the EDL Tool batch file and flash. Be sure not to have more than one of these programs open at once, since they may be in conflict by trying to access the phone simultaneously. While EDL flashing or or using the EDL tool, open the Task Manager and kill any adb.exe processes. The EDL Tool can use ADB to switch to EDL, but it but it shouldnt be running during the actual flashing process.

Now you can flash with the other tools I listed (preferably a full stock ROM EDL zip of your choice for a fresh start, then you can bootloader unlock, flash TWRP/custom ROM/etc later). If MiFlash gives an error, or the EDL Tool gets stuck on loading the firehose file then you are probably not in EDL. Try disconnecting/reconnecting phone to PC. If that doesnt work then do the steps with the DFU Tool again. If still not working then you can put the phone in DFU mode and let the red light drain the battery completely. Then charge for a few mins (at a minumum, battery charging screen may not appear, just use your judgement). This may take hours depending on how much charge the phone has. Bottom line is you must get to EDL or you're going nowhere fast.

Once you are in EDL then you can flash with the normal tools and unbrick. DFU MultiDL Tool can also EDL flash files to the device, but I have never gotten it to work (didnt try too hard). A user has earlier mentioned that running the tool in Windows 7 compatibility mode may allow EDL flashing to function properly, if you are using Win8/8.1/10. I will test more later but for now just use the other tools.

Another thing, be sure to run all tools/installers as admin. Use a good cable. And use a USB 2.0 port if available (not an option for me since my laptop has only USB3/USB C).

If you still cant get these steps to work in a real Windows install, it is possible there are deeper conflicts somewhere (usually installed drivers/programs) then you can try installing Win10 64 bit in a VMware Workstation (paid software but has 30 day trial)/VirtualBox (free) virtual machine. Then do my steps. Win7 will also work (not recommended if you have USB3 ports and no USB2). In the VM program you can share (pass through) a USB port from the host OS to the guest OS, set config to either USB2 or USB3 in VMware/VirtualBox, depending on your PC. Microsoft hosts free trial downloads of Windows which dont need to be activated immediately, those will suffice, so no need to pay or pirate. I use Linux as my main OS, I find VMs to be useful for flashing phones.

Absolute worst case is that none of this works, then you can either dissassemble the phone and short circuit the test point using @Choose an username...'s DFU unbrick guide (never did this myself, dont want to damage phone). Or you can RMA the phone to ZTE if the warranty is still valid. I have RMAed to them twice in a year and dont want to do it again so I'm posting this guide in the hope that someone will find it useful. And because I feel that the steps listed by others are incomplete, dont list and give links to all required tools, or provide a proper step order to follow.
    @raystef66: If you find this post useful then maybe you can link to it in the first post as a starter reference.