Root Alcatel Tetra 5041C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

LgPWN'd

Jan 18, 2019
So I was thinking about trying to add support for 64bit roms to our device....
My line of thought is that if we can locate a device with same chipset , and a 64bit stock firmware...
I can maybe use the stuff from it's /vendor /lib64 folder to help add support for 64bit A_Only gsi's
on the tetra....
But trying to track down suitable doner-device and firmware is giving me a headache...
So if anyone's interested in that name your suggestions here...
Thanks

clcombs262

Oct 16, 2018
Monticello
So I was thinking about trying to add support for 64bit roms to our device....
My line of thought is that if we can locate a device with same chipset , and a 64bit stock firmware...
I can maybe use the stuff from it's /vendor /lib64 folder to help add support for 64bit A_Only gsi's
on the tetra....
But trying to track down suitable doner-device and firmware is giving me a headache...
So if anyone's interested in that name your suggestions here...
Thanks
Talk to @realjohngalt on telegram. He's doing a 64 bit bringup for the Moto g6, has 64 bit CPU with 32 bit userspace

Mind you, Motorola publishes kernel source

Sent from my Motorola Moto Z3 Play using XDA Labs

LgPWN'd

Jan 18, 2019
well I cloned the repo at https://github.com/5059d/kernel_5059d_mt6739_tcl

and using the prebuilt kernel for that twrp tree in my twrp tree... everything booted fine...
no meltdowns, BUT mtp and adb are still not working...
wtf can't figure this out...
I want adb and mtp in twrp dammit

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

also I'd bet anything made for the alcatel 1x or the alcatel 5059r onetouch idealXTRA will likely work for tetra...

clcombs262

Oct 16, 2018
Monticello
Update: I'm currently using a few different RATs to pull any and all files possible while also trying to see what exploits (if any) I may be able to leverage with them. currently still lacking the recovery.fstab, but all other files needed for the ramdisk folder section of the recovery.img is set (put together the prop.default from scratch as I can't pull it from the phone). Still need all files outside of the ramdisk folder though (mostly just a proper recovery-kernel and offset, think I may be able to substitute the other files from a similar Alcatel MT6739 phone, the 3x/5058, which I have a stock firmware for). I also have the source code for the 4.4.95+ kernel that's on the Tetra, digging through it to see if I can use anything from it. If anyone has any thoughts about what could be done with all this stuff I have please feel free to share, as I could use some fresh eyes on this.
Hey did you disappear on us?

Sent from my Motorola Moto Z3 Play using XDA Labs

D

Deleted member 5437200

nce work guys, getting more going with this phone I see. Nice to be able to flash stuff without Sugar. I was in contact with Diplomatic back in march and april testing his xploit on our device, so I'm famiiliar with it. I'm glad to see he got it working for our device now.

LgPWN'd

Jan 18, 2019
He's a Champ ?

nce work guys, getting more going with this phone I see. Nice to be able to flash stuff without Sugar. I was in contact with Diplomatic back in march and april testing his xploit on our device, so I'm famiiliar with it. I'm glad to see he got it working for our device now.

I'm currently working on a custom kernel that should
Work across several of these mt6739 Alcatel devices
Hope it works out ?

LgPWN'd

Jan 18, 2019

There's a button for that ! ^^^^^^^
????????

Well I feel like screaming at Linux again !¿!
I can get the kernel to compile once if I only change
Small things in menuconfig.... But if I try to then make another change I have to scrap everything start over...make fails
for a lot of options / features I want to enable,
Unless I set it up to be a loadable module it causes
Make to fail.
Think I gotta grab more sources, maybe cherrypick some other commits , I want to include drivers for using externalUSB wireless adapters like ralink and atheros. Trying to get the usbgadget features tweaked.
Changed the governor to performance.
Added kexec support and wireless-frame-injection patch .
But progress is painfully slow as I'm having to hand edit and modify makefiles and defconfig.
And kinda just trail / error everything since I'm modifying source from a different device to work on ours...
I took the generic defconfig from /arm64 and the defconfig from this arm kernel.source and merged the two using the commandline ( diff ) and then hand edit that for removing the notations from the diff output ( +/- ) to get it in the correct format.
This is turning into quite a learning experience though ?
I still don't have a 64bit kernel that boots ... ☹️
However I did make a 32bit arm kernel that boots.

But I'm not releasing it yet as it's unstable.
And not what I'm trying to build.
I will be building 2 kernels to start.
An arm kernel with extra features (because we can do that)
And an experimental kernel that Im mostly crafting from bits and pieces of other source in an attempt to allow our hardware to support an arm64 GSI....
Afterall we do have a 64bit mt6739 processor.
But I fear the 64bit thing will be a while before it works as we will also need to modify our vendor.img
The one we have doesn't contain the library and shared object files needed for arch/arm64....

As I get these things to work I'll share my releases here along with link to my source on GitHub and continue on to work on the device tree to build a full rom.
But it's all about the kernel....
And that kernel is being a tough one
Since the source base is from Tcl/Alcatel
And oem's seem to almost purposely mess up the file structure and move things around...
Or even hard code commands In Makefile that use the actual path of the source on the developers machine in China or wherever....

I know I'm making progress but it's eating away so much of my time..
And I will not be able to build a complete rom
Until I can buy a decent PC to compile on.
I had to pull 2 of my 2gb ram sticks out this morning...
I guess maybe all this burnt them out.
So down to 4gb ram.
Anyhow. I may let this project sleep for a few days.
I need a break from the screen....
And a double cheeseburger.

Last edited:

LgPWN'd

Jan 18, 2019
Down the rabbit hole

Wow I'm kinda in over my head.
It's so different from the things I'm used to compileing
And all of these options to enable or disable....
And then soon as I change any options from stock ...
It refuses to make....
Missing dependincys and such...
Streight up pain in my ass.
I've contacted tcl Alcatel and the mother company too
And gotten no where asking for kernel source....
I'm even threatening to take it up In the special court of HongKong if they insist on violation of GPL...

But in the meantime I am trying to make it work with the few source repos I can find for mt6739

If anyone has expertise with kernel building from scratch...
That's whom I need to speak with.

Oh Gawd!!!

Last edited:

LgPWN'd

Jan 18, 2019
BIG TWRP UPDATE --Good-news !!!!

Ok so I got fed-up fooling with the kernel stuff for the day...
then I started attacking the problem in twrp where we have no communication between PC and recovery.

Problem:
no way to move files from PC to Phone while in TWRP....
So after 5 1/2 Hours of debugging things and taking things apart making changes and rebuilding.... I finally got ADB to work ! ;)

Basically twrp was missing a file to create the socket on init of FS.
then I got the device recognized by
Code:
adb devices
after that I still couldn't use adb as it complained that it can't find /system/bin/sh
so I made on for it...

then it wined about Linker can't execute blahblah blah "some library-file.so"
So I found it, and I fed it to the device tree and rebuild....
then it complained about a different lib.so file...
so 1 by 1 I kept finding the library files and bin files it was crying about , fed them in and rebuild.

Anywayz, we now have a usable adb function in my latest twrp update.
it's still a little broken tho....
SO HERE"S WHAT WORKS AND DESCRIPTION OF BUGS PRESENTLY:

Code:
adb sideload
tested and working to flash zips
Code:
adb pull
tested and pulled everything i tried to pull
Code:
adb push
tested and working in a limited way...
we can't push to system vendor etc... Work-around is:
Code:
adb push dummyfile /tmp/dummyfile
or
Code:
adb push dummyfile /sdcard/dummyfile
Code:
adb shell
tested and working in a wierd broken way,
seems adb shell will connect but every command such as
Code:
id
or
Code:
ls
etc will not work until we go into twrp menu and go to
Mount > system once you mount system from twrp mount menu you can use most adb command-line commands.... BUT in a limited context... For some reason it's regular adb shell as in no root-shell but if you need root-shell in twrp just go to
Advanced > terminal and use the built in terminal it has root-shell and context...

So as you can see it's still got some kinks to work out, but at least we can sideload zips and we can push files from PC to phone now... without having to reboot 20 times...
I'm still not satisfied with it, I will research what the heck's going on with all of that,
but some functionality as opposed to NO functionality is still an improvement.

well guys grab my latest update and try it out yourselves let me know what other neat bugs you find :D

Here's the link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-RjFYoQ88gIBo_5vJwjcm0JeOy6gVXBQ

Oh and once again , donations are welcomed.
and if this made you feel all warm and fuzzy because you can now flash a zip from the PC be sure to push the thumbs-up thanks button.
Cheers !!!

Hey guys get over here and check
just a roll-call...

@PizzaG

@clcombs262

@diplomatic

@cthulu_rises

@Cursedmale

@franksmalls

@Wild-Owl
@yah2000
@h110hawk
@Unjustified Dev
@svaethier
@gjutzy
@noelb2

@voluptuary
@kozyy

@jbird1978

@Bullshipcaptcha
@jframil

@Gfmjack
@Jusanchez

@*#imnothere#*

@dromino

@Jaxn111111

Last edited:
Reactions: kozyy

LgPWN'd

Jan 18, 2019
UPDATE For Recovery

So today I'll point you to the final release candidates for two better recoveries.

In these you will have adb working out of box in root mode
and they have been built to allow flashing of treble GSI system images.
They both have been tested and reported that all is working correctly.
I also allowed for flashing vendor.img
and lk.img so that it's easier to replace those between different versions.

Pitch Black Recovery

Red-Wolf Recovery

I hope everyone enjoys the new recoveries and it should make switching between GSI flavors much easier.
Cheers!!

Last edited:

Spades99

Mar 1, 2013
So it took reading through to page 20 to realize I needed the fastboot fix for the latest version. It worked. Was able to unlock the bootloader. However when I flash any recovery via fastboot it never seems to stick. Phone constantly reminds me loader is unlocked but it goes to stocks recovery.

LgPWN'd

Jan 18, 2019
Sorry for late reply

So it took reading through to page 20 to realize I needed the fastboot fix for the latest version. It worked. Was able to unlock the bootloader. However when I flash any recovery via fastboot it never seems to stick. Phone constantly reminds me loader is unlocked but it goes to stocks recovery.

Yeah after fastboot fix you should use any one of the recoverys and restore the vendor from @PizzaG cricket ROM tut.
Then format data
Then flash a gsi

Spades99

Mar 1, 2013
Yeah after fastboot fix you should use any one of the recoverys and restore the vendor from @PizzaG cricket ROM tut.
Then format data
Then flash a gsi

Okay I got back to recovery backed up. Restored vendor from pizzas twrp backup. Converted data partition to f2s2 or whatever. Wiped data/user wipe. Installed a gsi (latest RR) and got bootloop. Still had TWRP so was able to restore my backup. Sadly I bought this phone and popped out my sim to make it nano and now have to use it as a daily driver until I can get my sim into something else. I work too much so I'm doing this when I can and always have to start from scratch lol.

Last edited:

Spades99

Mar 1, 2013
So I couldn't help but tinker a bit.. ended up with the "decryption successful but data corrupt" recovery bootloop... Fixed that by flashing the stock recovery. "Erasing" showed up for 2 seconds and it worked again.

Still can't get GSI's to work, so I dove into getting rid of tethering provisions on rooted stock. If anyone is interested in getting WiFi tethering without 3rd party apps or apns on stock; it's actually a series of old tricks.
Edit your build.prop and add:

net.tethering.noprovisioning=true

Then get into a su terminal app and enter :
settings put global tether_dun_required 0
(Really just in case. I noticed dun was enable in a device management app)

Then delete (or .Bak) the 2 system/app folders with "entitlement" in their name. Forgot specific names because they're long gone. Reboot.
Stock WiFi tethering will no longer kick you off :)

Spades99

Mar 1, 2013
I have a new phone on the way so I'm going to really start tinkering with this one when it arrives. What ROMs if any are people using on this phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread closed at OP request
    I have an Alcatel Tetra running Android 8.1, June 2018 update, and I would like to root it. It was only released in September 2018, though, so there seems to be no common solution.
    Some specs are:
    480x854 resolution on 5" screen @ 70hz
    1.1ghz MediaTek MT6739WM CPU
    2gb ram
    4G LTE GSM on AT&T
    WIFI A/B/G/N 2.4ghz
    Bluetooth 4.2 LE
    Android 8.1, June 2018 update
    16gb internal storage with support for 128gb sd card
    GE8100 GPU
    5MP front camera & 2MP back
    USB 2.0 port, 3.5mm jack
    D
    Deleted member 5437200
    D
    Deleted member 5437200
    UPDATE For Recovery

So today I'll point you to the final release candidates for two better recoveries.

In these you will have adb working out of box in root mode
    and they have been built to allow flashing of treble GSI system images.
    They both have been tested and reported that all is working correctly.
    I also allowed for flashing vendor.img
    and lk.img so that it's easier to replace those between different versions.

Pitch Black Recovery

Red-Wolf Recovery

I hope everyone enjoys the new recoveries and it should make switching between GSI flavors much easier.
    Cheers!!