Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 0 with S Pen 2019 LTE (SM-P205) - Owner Review

Search This thread

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
I think you can root using the guides. The real problem is no twrp.

Exactly what guides are you mentioning and have you managed to get root on your tablet?

This is almost the perfect device for me, even with it's below average specs.. it's the perfect for a factor plus has a pen. But without root, this is useless to me, can't have a device not rooted, is that simple.

As always thanks a lot for any info and advice on this :)

Last edited:
Reactions: iamakii

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
Anyone knows if a developer started working on this device?
These tablets are not very popular and have few traction among the developers community for the lack of active users. I don't think anyone is working on it or actively has their hands on units they can actually work on.. unfortunately. This is a great tablet the comma and almost perfect tablet if only the specs were just a little bit better.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

I've actually try this method on my P205 (China/ Hong Kong version) but could not make it work. It's possible that maybe works on an international version of the P205 or on the P200. Has anyone else tried this method with any success?

http://androidbiits.com/root-samsung-galaxy-tab-a-sm-p205-wisdom-easily/

notroid

Feb 3, 2015
Thanks for your reply. Mine is east asian version too.
Does any one debloated the original rom and noticed significant improvements?
I want to try debloat using adb but wanted to hear your experiences first. And which packages are safe to remove?
I know there is a thread for debloating samsung phones but I am intrested to know specefic advices for tnis tablet and rom.
Thanks in advance

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
I want to try debloat using adb but wanted to hear your experiences first. And which packages are safe to remove?
I know there is a thread for debloating samsung phones but I am intrested to know specefic advices for tnis tablet and rom.
Thanks in advance
I can give you a simple suggestion because it's exact what I did and worked wonders. Simply download and install Package Disabler APK for Samsung's phones. Whatever it's listed as safe, you can disable it. This is done directly on the phone, no need mess with ADBs or anything like that. And is all fail-safe with switches, so whatever change that you do, you can also just undo and it's back to original. You can basically disable permanently just about any system package and bloatware that you want, it's all there. And the app features and extensive detail list of what the apps are and what they do, and what is safe or not to disable, so there is minimal to no risk of making a mistake. This the next best thing (and only at this point to my knowledge) to actually having root access to directly go with a file manager and simply delete the apps in the garbage that you don't want. The app is free and there is also a Pro version for just a couple bucks (very well worth it) with a few more features, ads removed and of course and most importantly, supporting the developer. I'm hoping for root access eventually needless to say, because that's really the proper way to go. Hope this helps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ccswe.appmanager.samsung

Last edited:
Reactions: usb47 and satanix

twospirits

Nov 28, 2007
NYC
www.S4GRU.com
> the Wifi-only one for 322$ <
The LTE difference was less than $50, so I ordered the one with a SIM card. I don't intend to use it a lot outside the home, but I shall see. Perhaps I'll have a $10 Boost SIM in it for those rare occasions when I take it outside.
The US Carriers don't seem to sell the S-Pen version, so I I bought the international LTE version of this device, even though my carrier's (Sprint) frequencies are not supported. I do plan on using this overseas when I travel, probably inserting a a GSM carrier Sim card. With that being the case, I'm curious about one thing. in all the descriptions I've seen, they say it won't work on a CDMA carrier like Verizon and Sprint. You mention you may put in a Boost Sim card in it. Since Boost runs on the Sprint network and uses the same LTE bands, and one of the LTE Frequencies listed for the device is Band 41 which Sprint uses, I wonder if you ever got this to work?
btw, I can test it since my device is still in route.

TS out

mydroidfren

Sep 10, 2013
Anyone know which region firmware is best for usa?
My tablet is using tgy code which apparently is hong kong region.
I'm not having any issues but if another one is better then I'll download and flash.

yup since they not release yet in US. I don't get it why they don't sell this maybe it's too low cost for the trouble?

anyway got a new keyboard cover for my unit here's the video:
Unboxing Hands-on a 3rd party Wireless Keyboard Cover for the Samsung Tab A 8.0 with Spen 2019 P200 & P205 models.

Simple easy to setup and use bluetooth magnetic keyboard cover. https://youtu.be/fUeCzhR6WlY

Reactions: satanix

jb-

Jul 2, 2019
Here's my take on it and note I am comparing it to my N7 deb. I can't say I agree with everything the OP here has to say.
---------------
A couple days ago I received a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" with S Pen (2019) SM-P205 LTE which is unlocked for GSM and locked for CDMA (Verizon/Sprint). It's an international model, so there's no warranty in the US but I knew that going in.

I have been running a the AICP 14 pie custom rom on my Nexus 7 2013 deb for months now, updating it each month about a week or two after the security update hits. This runs exceptionally well on my Nexus 7. It runs at least as well as the factory install and battery life with a few mods is great.

The Samsung runs 9/pie and appears to have about the same screen resolution as the Nexus 7. It's not what I'd call much faster than the Nexus, but is a little snappier. It's almost the same size, just slightly wider. I can't say I like all the boatware they install, but it is what it is. One thing I definitely don't like is after updating it, they still are at the May security update. It's nearly October so to me this shows Samsung doesn't make security a priority. Another con is battery life, it's substantially poorer than my Nexus 7 and granted running pie it might improve over time but I don't feel it will. There's few options for optimizing battery usage like I have on the Nexus running AICP. Wifi on the Samsung is excellent much better than the Nexus 7. I have not installed a sim so haven't tested the modem. It can of course make emergency calls. I also have not tried the s pen but am looking forward to playing with it some.

Final thoughts on the Samsung as a Nexus 7 2013 replacement... IMO it's more like a direct replacement than an upgrade and if my Nexus died then I'd certainly replace it with the Samsung tablet as my daily driver, either wifi or lte. The Samsung LTE version only costs marginally more than the wifi only version so I went LTE. I've heard that modding the Samsung devices can be difficult, but for me I use my pad for email and reading so I really don't care about mods or custom rom for it. I only got into custom roms for the Nexus 7 due to it being so far out of support and the fact that it was still working well.

jb

mydroidfren

Sep 10, 2013
Here's my take on it and note I am comparing it to my N7 deb. I can't say I agree with everything the OP here has to say.
---------------
A couple days ago I received a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" with S Pen (2019) SM-P205 LTE which is unlocked for GSM and locked for CDMA (Verizon/Sprint). It's an international model, so there's no warranty in the US but I knew that going in.

I have been running a the AICP 14 pie custom rom on my Nexus 7 2013 deb for months now, updating it each month about a week or two after the security update hits. This runs exceptionally well on my Nexus 7. It runs at least as well as the factory install and battery life with a few mods is great.

The Samsung runs 9/pie and appears to have about the same screen resolution as the Nexus 7. It's not what I'd call much faster than the Nexus, but is a little snappier. It's almost the same size, just slightly wider. I can't say I like all the boatware they install, but it is what it is. One thing I definitely don't like is after updating it, they still are at the May security update. It's nearly October so to me this shows Samsung doesn't make security a priority. Another con is battery life, it's substantially poorer than my Nexus 7 and granted running pie it might improve over time but I don't feel it will. There's few options for optimizing battery usage like I have on the Nexus running AICP. Wifi on the Samsung is excellent much better than the Nexus 7. I have not installed a sim so haven't tested the modem. It can of course make emergency calls. I also have not tried the s pen but am looking forward to playing with it some.

Final thoughts on the Samsung as a Nexus 7 2013 replacement... IMO it's more like a direct replacement than an upgrade and if my Nexus died then I'd certainly replace it with the Samsung tablet as my daily driver, either wifi or lte. The Samsung LTE version only costs marginally more than the wifi only version so I went LTE. I've heard that modding the Samsung devices can be difficult, but for me I use my pad for email and reading so I really don't care about mods or custom rom for it. I only got into custom roms for the Nexus 7 due to it being so far out of support and the fact that it was still working well.

jb

Nice thanks for updating for US market. I'm still not sure why Samsung doesn't release these smaller Tabs there. It's convince to carry around & even fits in cargo shorts... Hopefully you will get a way to get the LTE working later but as for battery life this tab was lasting longer than my old N7 even playing long hours of PUBG & RR3. Try disable most of the bloats that you won't use maybe that'll help though.

Anyway check out my latest video on the keyboard cover for this tab on pg1.

have a nice day!

Reactions: mac231us

Giowi

Jul 27, 2014
anyone has find a solution to add traslate feature with spen on the tablet?

I can give you a simple suggestion because it's exact what I did and worked wonders. Simply download and install Package Disabler APK for Samsung's....

I use CCSWE App Manager from the playstore. I had bought Package Disabler pro right from the dev's website but you have to buy a unlock code for *each* device, and I have several tabs. (I swear, these things are worse than crack!) ? With CCSWE you buy one pro key and done. Works the same but not as clear as PDP as to which apps to disable so I nuked the obvious ones. I use Adguard to get rid of ads. (only reason I felt the need to root earlier devices) Now I don't bother. And things serm a lot more stable.. like not being afraid to reboot the thing!
I like this tab... gets the job done and not the paltry 1200x800 so no jaggies. I use Square Home launcher with lots of tiles plus set width in dev. options to 800 so it's a little laggy but no real complaints. Much improved over the old S series I had. Finally tablets have matured with performance *and* build quality... at last!

twcook

Sep 25, 2006
Samsung Galaxy Watch
Package Disabler FTW

This package disabler suggestion worked great for me. I prefer the google apps for everything, and this prevents me from having two things named "Calendar". This tablet is working well for me and that smoothed out one of the few rough edges.

I can give you a simple suggestion because it's exact what I did and worked wonders. Simply download and install Package Disabler APK for Samsung's phones. Whatever it's listed as safe, you can disable it. This is done directly on the phone, no need mess with ADBs or anything like that. And is all fail-safe with switches, so whatever change that you do, you can also just undo and it's back to original. You can basically disable permanently just about any system package and bloatware that you want, it's all there. And the app features and extensive detail list of what the apps are and what they do, and what is safe or not to disable, so there is minimal to no risk of making a mistake. This the next best thing (and only at this point to my knowledge) to actually having root access to directly go with a file manager and simply delete the apps in the garbage that you don't want. The app is free and there is also a Pro version for just a couple bucks (very well worth it) with a few more features, ads removed and of course and most importantly, supporting the developer. I'm hoping for root access eventually needless to say, because that's really the proper way to go. Hope this helps:

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
Nice thanks for updating for US market. I'm still not sure why Samsung doesn't release these smaller Tabs there. It's convince to carry around & even fits in cargo shorts... Hopefully you will get a way to get the LTE working later but as for battery life this tab was lasting longer than my old N7 even playing long hours of PUBG & RR3. Try disable most of the bloats that you won't use maybe that'll help though.

Anyway check out my latest video on the keyboard cover for this tab on pg1.

have a nice day!

Does this tablet have haptic vibration feedback on both touch functions (example for say back button or selecting any UI element) AND when typing in the keyboard (asking as some of the A series in 2016 and earlier did not have haptic in the keyboard) Thanks

andrewsc

Jul 14, 2017
You mention you may put in a Boost Sim card in it. Since Boost runs on the Sprint network and uses the same LTE bands, and one of the LTE Frequencies listed for the device is Band 41 which Sprint uses, I wonder if you ever got this to work?

I am in Australia, where Boost is reselling bandwith for the local Optus operator. In most areas, their LTE runs on Band 28 which became available when old UHF free-to-air television got suspended. It's a relatively low frequency (700Mhz) so I get good coverage.

renatohs

Apr 5, 2011
São Paulo
www.ezsite.com.br
Can you share the apk with us?

it must be using touch to translate, Google's recent function, but not the same as Samsung's Air translate

how to install air translate? Anybody know?:crying::crying:

I use the function on Note9 and it is not heavy, the tablet should also run, Samsung must do this to force customers to buy Tab S models. Any developer please Port for an Apk :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D5y-5VDUEAAABI3

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 0 with S Pen 2019 LTE (SM-P205)

1. Unboxing & Impressions - https://youtu.be/Jzic9JeDBdE
    I am surprised that this Galaxy Tab A 8.0 is more closer related to Nexus 7 than the previous model it replaces. It should be on a buy list for anyone wanting to replace their Nexus 7 or Tab A 8.0 2015. Other than the limited 32GB storage size, I absolutely think is is a great budget tab at less than 250USD.

2. Camera Photos & Videos - https://youtu.be/nirrHFIWLWw
    This tab blew me away by being able to edit videos and export to 4K. It's punching way above the budget price point. Why didn't Samsung give this a minimum 64Gb storage instead of just 32GB. This is a great little budget tab for on the move YouTubers.

Note: All photos 3264 x 2448 dpi and videos 1920 x 1080 @ 288 kbps shot with this tablet, edited and exported to 4K via Cyberlink Powerdirector Android mobile paid app.

3. Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 0 2019 Water Battery Gaming Test - https://youtu.be/KTR2U4jKXVo
    Samsung Tab A 8 0 2015 - 4hrs 10mins (4 years old battery) vs Samsung Tab A 8 0 2019 - 6hrs 10mins (new battery)

D6BAKdxV4AAEJ1J

4. World's Tallest Rain Waterfall at Jewel Changi Airport - Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 2019 shot & edit this video. Use Cinema FV-5 to unlock the camera dpi. Samsung could had enabled this camera with EIS but they didn't such a waste! https://youtu.be/ykL4lavuEok

D8m_P2GV4AAH7Uk

Updated: 2019-09-20
    5. Unboxing Hands-on a 3rd party Wireless Keyboard Cover for the Samsung Tab A 8.0 with Spen 2019 P200 & P205 models. Simple easy to setup and use bluetooth magnetic keyboard cover. This is most suitable for work on the go paired with the Spen nothing can stop you from finishing your work. https://youtu.be/fUeCzhR6WlY

EEwhmpqUUAM34RP
    I can give you a simple suggestion because it's exact what I did and worked wonders. Simply download and install Package Disabler APK for Samsung's....

I use CCSWE App Manager from the playstore. I had bought Package Disabler pro right from the dev's website but you have to buy a unlock code for *each* device, and I have several tabs. (I swear, these things are worse than crack!) ? With CCSWE you buy one pro key and done. Works the same but not as clear as PDP as to which apps to disable so I nuked the obvious ones. I use Adguard to get rid of ads. (only reason I felt the need to root earlier devices) Now I don't bother. And things serm a lot more stable.. like not being afraid to reboot the thing!
    I like this tab... gets the job done and not the paltry 1200x800 so no jaggies. I use Square Home launcher with lots of tiles plus set width in dev. options to 800 so it's a little laggy but no real complaints. Much improved over the old S series I had. Finally tablets have matured with performance *and* build quality... at last!
    ---------------

jb
    Thanks in advance

I hope samsung give an update to enable translate text from s-pen like in note
    if you install Google Translate and enable "Air view" in settings, Translate is one of the options you get with Spen Airview.

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk