Help Root New update MR2 !!!

Search This thread

LSS4181

Mar 13, 2012
Google Pixel C
Razer Phone 2
Mine does that as well when I boot to recovery. . After cancel you need to swipe to allow modifications at the bottom then install and change drive to micro SD storage.
You have to install from micro SD storage

Is your data partition encrypted? If so, try inputting your screen lock settings to see if TWRP could decrypt your data partition this way.
For patterns: from top-left to bottom-right: 1 to 9 respectively.
For PIN: type 0-9 the same was as you input your PIN.
For password: type exactly what you set.

ok :
1- i did flash arter kernel
2- boot in to TWRP recovery
3- i select SD Card and flash Magisk 19.5
4- reboot
stuck in animation logo forever:rolleyes:

Magisk needs an accessible data partition to store its contents as it doesn't touch system partition (hence systemless). If your data partition is encrypted and you did not decrypt it before flashing, then it cannot be installed properly and you'll have issues.

EDIT: If you never set a screen lock, normally TWRP should be able to decrypt it right away (which I think the password would be "default_password" as I read in some other similar threads), but if you really can't decrypt your data partition... you'll have to find ways to enter your phone, get your personal data out of internal storage, and format data partition entirely (which wipes everything). Also, make sure to check your system's fstab in /vendor partition and make sure userdata flags doesn't contain "forceencrypt" or your phone will automatically encrypt your data partition upon first boot and lead to the same issue again.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDBarlow

kountry83

Mar 5, 2011
Baytown
@JDBarlow

Hey bud I updated to the Sept security patch then flashed arterr11 to a and b. Then I flashed fstab and formatted data. Then I flashed vold mod. Rebooted and it shows arter kernel installed but it went back to July security patch. Did you do something different? Why did it go back to previous security patch?
Thanks

tjablonowski

Jul 22, 2008
looks like ATT went rogue with this update. Wrote Razer about where the global unlocked version was and got this response.
Thank you for reaching Razer Technical Support. My name is Aaron and I will be assisting you today.

Based on my understanding, you would like to know when is the September security update is going to be available for unlocked Razer Phone 2, am I right? Well, in regards to that matter, the September update is currently available for AT&T devices as they have taken their own initiative to roll out the update.

However, I will highlight this issue to our relevant team so they will get notified and will be rolling out the update sometime in the near future.

I deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused. Please let me know if you require further assistance. I will be here for you!

Thank you again for reaching Razer Technical Support and have a pleasant day ahead!

Kindly take note on this case number ####### for future references.

Sincerely,
Aaron
Razer Technical Support
www.razer.com

shekinahsmoke

looks like ATT went rogue with this update. Wrote Razer about where the global unlocked version was and got this response.
Thank you for reaching Razer Technical Support. My name is Aaron and I will be assisting you today.

Based on my understanding, you would like to know when is the September security update is going to be available for unlocked Razer Phone 2, am I right? Well, in regards to that matter, the September update is currently available for AT&T devices as they have taken their own initiative to roll out the update.

However, I will highlight this issue to our relevant team so they will get notified and will be rolling out the update sometime in the near future.

I deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused. Please let me know if you require further assistance. I will be here for you!

Thank you again for reaching Razer Technical Support and have a pleasant day ahead!

Kindly take note on this case number ####### for future references.

Sincerely,
Aaron
Razer Technical Support
www.razer.com

So there's no way to root this Sep 30 Pie Update on AT&T?

khaled1881

Sep 26, 2019
EDIT: If you never set a screen lock, normally TWRP should be able to decrypt it right away (which I think the password would be "default_password" as I read in some other similar threads), but if you really can't decrypt your data partition... you'll have to find ways to enter your phone, get your personal data out of internal storage, and format data partition entirely (which wipes everything). Also, make sure to check your system's fstab in /vendor partition and make sure userdata flags doesn't contain "forceencrypt" or your phone will automatically encrypt your data partition upon first boot and lead to the same issue again.[/QUOTE]

I did clean factory format and then update to September, update MR2, i didnot create password or pattern. The problem is with the new update install in b partition and the old image in a. When you try to Root it stuck in animation logo and when you flash the stock image phone return to Old update MR1

LSS4181

Mar 13, 2012
Google Pixel C
Razer Phone 2
Hey bud please help me out. Can't seem to get the September update to stick after I flash arter image. It shows I have arter kernel installed but it goes back to July security.
Thanks

You probably need to double check which slot you're currently on. I'm no expert, from what I read regarding the A/B layout, the inactive slot would be used to seamlessly put the updated system and if it succeeds, you'll be booted to the updated slot the next time and it becomes the new active slot.

Simply put, if you're currently on slot A, the updates will be downloaded and installed to slot B, and if succeeds, you'll boot from the updated slot B from now on until your next update (which would be installed to slot A).

If you're sure that you flashed arter97's kernel to the correct slot, there's a possibility that arter97's kernel is not yet updated to pass the September update's security verifications and thus failed, which in turn prompted the phone to switch you back to the old slot (which contained the July security version) so your phone can keep running. I'm wondering, did you only flash arter97's kernel to the active slot, or to both slots? I'm suspecting the latter, and that it seems arter97's kernel can boot on the July security version.

I did clean factory format and then update to September, update MR2, i didnot create password or pattern. The problem is with the new update install in b partition and the old image in a. When you try to Root it stuck in animation logo and when you flash the stock image phone return to Old update MR1

I do remember there were cases when a ROM with updated security patch could end up breaking recovery access to encrypted data partition either way (if the recovery was not aware of the new security patch). Either TWRP fails to decrypt the partition, or when I booted to ROM I'm prompted with a text password that I don't know what to input because I never set a text password for lockscreen (at most a PIN).

For that reason I refrained from encrypting the device so I never had to deal with such issues ever again.

Also, regarding the boot failure after rooting, it's possible the bootloader is aware of this boot error and switched the active slot to the other one which contained your previous version of system so you ended up booting your old version.

Last edited:

kountry83

Mar 5, 2011
Baytown
@LSS4181
Thanks for the reply. I installed the arter kernel image to both a and b slots. @JDBarlow was able to use the arter kernel on the latest At&T security ota update and install magisk. I want to know how he did that. This is for my regular at&t Razer Phone 2, not my prototype.

caspaas

Jul 2, 2017
ive got the september update but im getting installation errors when trying to update.
Currently on the deodoxed-zipaligned version

khaled1881

Sep 26, 2019
Hello, how to do this " lock the bootloader and bootloader critical"? thanks

First: you need to flash factory image : can be download from here : https://developer.razer.com/razer-phone-dev-tools/factory-images/

Second : after flash phone stock image lock the bootloader : https://developer.razer.com/razer-p...65.1383494248.1571165001-207716119.1571165001
and your phone will take the update.
But keep in mind that you cannot root with the new patch update.

caspaas

Jul 2, 2017

JDubbed

Feb 18, 2011
From what I am reading in order to apply this new update we'll lose all our data because we have to flash the original OS. Are these new updates worth the number of hours it'll take for someone to reinstall/configure all apps and re-personalize everything? I've never had any WiFi problems. Bluetooth works fine. Only problem I've had so far has been from installing Arter 97 kernel and once in a blue moon phone will freeze and a force reboot is necessary. Other then that phone is fine. Could anyone explain specifically what these updates fix/improve? Other then the security patches. Maybe we could install the security patches without all the mess?

khaled1881

Sep 26, 2019
Good news! I managed to root the global variant of MR2 and extracted the boot.img. If anybody , that went back to stock and is struck unrooted, wants to try it, here it is: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1HxdIIorGQqi0ZdKhg-paeK93URFXXCyd&export=download

Image is patched with latest magisk canary.
Like always: No warranties and no responsabilities by me. Enjoy.

Nice work man ? i will try today.
But we need instructions how to do it. If someone ask.

Nice work man i will try today.
It would be nice, if you wait until someone with a little experience confirms, that this works! :good:

Instructions in short:

- Backup your data with anything else than TWRP (because after alle this, you won't habe TWRP until someone (maybe arter97) ports it). I used Titatium Backup.
- Go back to stock with razer's official factory image
- Boot up, go through the setup wizard
- Accept the OTA-Update
- Reboot
- Check, if everything works and update got applied
- Shut reboot, hold vol- while it reboots
- You're in bootloader/fastboot-mode now
- flash new boot.img with the following command: fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img
- fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img (to Flash bootslot b, top)
- reboot
- Download and install https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/blob/canary/app-release.apk
- accept that "additional package" that magisk wants to install
- profit

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nice work man i will try today.
    It would be nice, if you wait until someone with a little experience confirms, that this works! :good:

Instructions in short:

- Backup your data with anything else than TWRP (because after alle this, you won't habe TWRP until someone (maybe arter97) ports it). I used Titatium Backup.
    - Go back to stock with razer's official factory image
    - Boot up, go through the setup wizard
    - Accept the OTA-Update
    - Reboot
    - Check, if everything works and update got applied
    - Shut reboot, hold vol- while it reboots
    - You're in bootloader/fastboot-mode now
    - flash new boot.img with the following command: fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img
    - fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img (to Flash bootslot b, top)
    - reboot
    - Download and install https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/blob/canary/app-release.apk
    - accept that "additional package" that magisk wants to install
    - profit
    Ok guys this is the update screenshot
    I just got the update on ATT.
    @JDBarlow
    Hey bud would you happen to have the latest security update saved?
    If so, could you please share it with me please?
    Thank you
    I caught it last night but haven't had time to dig thru the log file. I'll look after work this evening.

Nice . Did you Root the new MR2. For me still cannot root.
    Is the Boot image from MR1 same the MR2 ? Because if it is the same i think we can Patch the image and root.

I did not have success in rooting the last update magisk continues to crash when you try and open it it will boot though after installing arter97 version 11. Not sure about the boot IMG I forgot to back up is why I had to flash again :laugh:
    Awesome, that's a huge help. So, final questions:

1. Are you saying the patch referenced in post 57 in this thread is not required, coming from MR2 stock?
    2. If I don't flash f2fs, can I keep my current ROM config and apps intact?

Thanks so much!
    Question 1. No you don't need any patched file. Other than the arter97 kernel
    Question 2. No don't flash f2fs unless you just want too personally I don't 90% of the time. Yes you keep it fully intact.