Regarding future updates

Search This thread

pankym24

Jun 10, 2018
update 3rd Nov: Asus rolling out updates for Zenfone 6
https://www.xda-developers.com/asus-zenfone-6-android-10-update/
-----
Received update 59. Just security fixes. Does anyone know till how long we will receive updates?
I remember reading way back that we will receive two major Android updates so Android 10 also?
If not wanted to know anyone has used lineage os or another rom for this device and their experiences.

Last edited:

SpiralX15

Oct 14, 2014
Kolkata
We are supposed to receive Android 10. There's no ETA on it. My device came with 8.1, 340 update and subsequently I received regular updates (056 to 059) and I think it'll be a while till we keep getting them. Asus has been regular on doing this. Apart from battery issues and drops, there aren't any issues to these.

debdeep98

Jan 19, 2018
IN
Realme 6 Pro
Yup. I too remember the 2 year sw upgrade. I tweeted to asus. They said that they are reviewing whether they are going to push the update 10 update to m1 or not. Apparently they care too much about "stability and experience". They said the list of devices is gonna be out very soon on their official website. This was 4-5days back.

SpiralX15

Oct 14, 2014
Kolkata
Yup. I too remember the 2 year sw upgrade. I tweeted to asus. They said that they are reviewing whether they are going to push the update 10 update to m1 or not. Apparently they care too much about "stability and experience". They said the list of devices is gonna be out very soon on their official website. This was 4-5days back.

Stability? If they push it for Max Pro M2, it's going to be a big bluff and nothing else. There's not major difference between M1 & M2 hardwares and if M2 can manage it, so can M1.

rahul achary

Jul 20, 2015

Lulodroid

Mar 19, 2018
Sadly, I've never seen a phone improve with new versions of Android, and the same goes for M1: only problems and battery drain after Pie update.
Why don't vendors keep the native version of Android on every phone and just provide security fixes?
Is it not possible because of Android's development strategy?

Bye,
/_uke

pankym24

Jun 10, 2018
Sadly, I've never seen a phone improve with new versions of Android, and the same goes for M1: only problems and battery drain after Pie update.
Why don't vendors keep the native version of Android on every phone and just provide security fixes?
Is it not possible because of Android's development strategy?

Bye,
/_uke

well the answer is ofcourse money. so that they can churn new phones every year. contrast this with something like the Essential phone which released with Android 7 in August 2017 and still got Android 10 recently.

It's perfectly possible to have a phone that can last as long as computers. projects like librem from purism plan to do just that.

well the answer is ofcourse money. so that they can churn new phones every year. contrast this with something like the Essential phone which released with Android 7 in August 2017 and still got Android 10 recently.

It's perfectly possible to have a phone that can last as long as computers. projects like librem from purism plan to do just that.
That's not what other person said. He meant an android should keep its original android version (the android on which it is launched) and just receive security updates.

Reactions: pankym24

pankym24

Jun 10, 2018
That's not what other person said. He meant an android should keep its original android version (the android on which it is launched) and just receive security updates.

oh I misunderstood native to mean a pure Android experience.
Then yes the Android update system does have some technical challenges well documented on various websites.

To summarize I'd say the first blocker is that Google stops supporting older Android versions after some time. Iirc they support the latest two versions of Android. So maybe they will drop support for oreo this December?

The second is Android is not based off of the mainline Linux kernel so it's harder to backport kernel security changes. Google and others worked with the kernel developers to have a long term release branch to receive security updates for longer (at least 2 years).

A third would be if OEMs like Asus have a limited contact with chip vendors like Qualcomm to provide blob updates for x years. usually the support warranty of the device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.