warning dont upgrade new version of magisk 20.2

Search This thread

Rat Pak

Jul 16, 2017
Go EZ

Unfortunately i wasn't lucky with this.. got stuck in fastboot, my sd and internal storage are both wiped, Rip years of data on that sd.. Can't get a system on the SD or internal storage, Fastboot isn't helping, ADB sideload won't load in twrp, LG Bridge won't detect my phone Am i screwed with this? I can boot to twrp but thats about it

So....After all this is back to an individuals "Normal"...
Tab OFF Magisk notifications of update. you will be made aware thru the grapevine eventually, and can allow someone else to be the LabRat?
20.2 Did the same to my new Ugoos AM6pro STB, Breaking titaniums veiw of root permissions, Etc.
Thnk God for The Win Project.... All Hail TWRP!!

Reactions: LRail

Snakecharmed

Sep 30, 2011
LG V20
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
So....After all this is back to an individuals "Normal"...
Tab OFF Magisk notifications of update. you will be made aware thru the grapevine eventually, and can allow someone else to be the LabRat?
20.2 Did the same to my new Ugoos AM6pro STB, Breaking titaniums veiw of root permissions, Etc.
Thnk God for The Win Project.... All Hail TWRP!!

Agreed. Turn off the update notifications. There really isn't a good reason to blindly chase the latest Magisk update. The vast majority of the time, there will no improvement to your user experience, and even then, those improvements are more likely to happen in Magisk Manager than Magisk. The way 20.2 nuked so many installations across so many phone makes and models has been brutal.

Reactions: Rat Pak and jmacie

pendgy

Sep 8, 2013
Sofia, Bulgaria
This hit me as well. I created a issue for it on Magisk github.
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/2212

Will try post #13

Thank you for doing that! You may add that issue affected a variety of LG models with varieties of ROMs (at least I've spotted LG-G5, LG-G6, LG-V20-all variants) and maybe some other brands also. There at least 5 threads in the forum - in LG sub-forums and in Magisk sub-forum. I hope the developers will take care about as this is not a single-failure issue affecting only a particular ROM and phone configuration.

And thank you also for your post#39 describing my method in steps.

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

IMPORTANT!

There is a call-out for all LG users experiencing issues with Magisk v20.2 posted in Magisk forum. The developers look for assistance in testing a series of Canary builds since 20.1 in order to figure out what and when went wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmacie

bebop707

Apr 1, 2011
I got a little stuck here, so I'm going to take your method and break it down into steps. Hope you don't mind.

Note: I couldn't find the /data/magisk.... folder from the usb mounted drive so used TWRP file manager

Using a PC:
  • Boot into TWRP. https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=81381337&postcount=22
  • Goto Mount and Make sure Data and Micro SD card are checked
  • Go home and goto Advanced -> File Manager
  • Navigate to /data/magisk_backup_<long string>/ and click boot.img.gz
  • Copy File to /external_sd (sd card location)
  • Go home and goto Mount
  • Select Enable MTP
  • On computer, find boot.img.gz file on Micro SD card and extract it to desktop. I used PeaZIP but 7zip or Winrar should work too.
  • On computer, copy extracted boot.img back to Micro SD card.
  • Disable MTP
  • Go home and goto Install
  • Select Install Image in bottom right to switch to looking for .img files
  • Navigate to boot.img file on /external_sd and click on it
  • Select Boot partition and swipe to flash
  • Reboot System
  • Click Do Not Install, to avoid installing the TWRP app

Using Terminal in TWRP
After going through this, I noticed a shortcut that wouldn't require a PC if your comfortable using a terminal.
Thanks to @solo2racer

• Goto Mount
  • Make sure Data is checked
  • Go home and goto Advanced -> Terminal
  • Type cd /data/magisk and hit the Tab button in top left of software keyboard. This should auto-fill the whole magisk path. Then press the checkmark button on the keyboard.
  • Type ls and press the checkmark button to see the contents of the directory which should contain the boot.img.gz file
  • Type gzip -d boot.img.gz and press the checkmark button.
  • Type ls and press the checkmark button to see the contents of the directory which should now contain the boot.img file
  • Navigate to boot.img file at /data/magisk_.../ and click on it
  • Reboot System

To reiterate, if you don't have a magisk boot.img.gz backup, you can follow the steps on post #8. https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=81372967&postcount=8

Thanks a million! Got my dumbass out of having to do a lengthy re-do of my phone. Never again will I update stuff without checking out the forum first lol

xEricFarmer

May 7, 2019
Fortunately there is even more easy way to recover. :D

My H990DS has been also affected by Magisk update. Luckily I discovered that Magisk itself makes a backup of the boot image during update from previous Magisk version. It is located in the /data/magisk_backup_<very long sequence of characters and digits>. The name of the backup archive file is boot.img.gz

So I booted to TWRP, unziped the file boot.img from the above archive and flashed it to the boot partition using TWRP. Then rebooted to system.

And that's all folks! No data loss, no need to look for original ROM.zip, no need to look for and re-flash Magisk 20.1 (the system has been restored automatically to Magisk 20.1), no need to wipe Dalvik and Cache!

I think that this solution is the most simple and easy, so need to be in sticky post.

Thank you so much for sharing this post. I updated Magisk while watching some online streaming. I did not think much about it because I never had any errors in the past. I then looked down at my phone and saw it was in fast boot mode?! I took out the battery and rebooted and still was stuck in fastboot.

Thankfully I figured to look and see if anybody else had issues and saw your post. It helped out a lot!

ben_deez

Jan 29, 2011
gresham oregon
OnePlus 7 Pro
How? Plz tell me! I'm on twrp and i've factory reset everything

It will only work if you already have a backup saved in TWRP. If you do then hit the restore tab and choose your backup file and then uncheck the data and system boxes leaving only the boot box checked... then hit restore and reboot

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

For those who have a LG V20 US996 variant I have a TWRP boot backup file with the previous Magisk already installed. Here is a link. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1arxhDkJFwgSBSxtAsIUCLiIaUQPMEKr0

billyx1

May 25, 2012
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 10
I had two of these folders. The image from the first one created a boot loop for me but the second one worked.

unzip cound be done in twrp with terminal using 'gunzip boot.img.gz'

wolf45801

Mar 31, 2012
Lima
My gf updated her magisk and now is stuck on the fastboot screen she had a pin set so now I can't access the data folder cause of the encryption she would rather me not format the data any ideas?

jaydee5

Nov 7, 2015
My gf updated her magisk and now is stuck on the fastboot screen she had a pin set so now I can't access the data folder cause of the encryption she would rather me not format the data any ideas?
Rom version and previous Magisk version (likely 20.1?)? (Also, might check TWRP, Restore if happened to have made a boot.img backup; regardless, when whole again (&everyone else reading) make at least a TWRP, Backup, Boot for the future)); Then:
No, no, no! The "normal" procedure is just to flash boot.img from Magisk backup and then reboot. This should work if you just updated Magisk 20.1 to 20.2 and stuck in fastboot.

But you already did some wrong things (uninastalled Magisk, intalled it again, etc.). So now you should choose the longer route. Now you should flash the original boot.img from your original ROM. It could be a challenge to find it. Then you should flash Magisk 20.1. You shall not reboot between flashing boot.img and flashing Magisk.

Before going to longer route you may try again the first option.

Ah, I misunderstood you.

Tried the shorter route again just to ensure, and its a no go.

So I just need to follow this process (https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=81372967&postcount=8)

So just flash the rom boot.img, then magisk 20.1, and I should have all my previous data still? If so, the next step is a fresh backup :D

Last edited:

smohanv

Nov 5, 2006
Higham, Rochester, Kent

My H990DS has been also affected by Magisk update. Luckily I discovered that Magisk itself makes a backup of the boot image during update from previous Magisk version. It is located in the /data/magisk_backup_<very long sequence of characters and digits>. The name of the backup archive file is boot.img.gz

So I booted to TWRP, unziped the file boot.img from the above archive and flashed it to the boot partition using TWRP. Then rebooted to system.

And that's all folks! No data loss, no need to look for original ROM.zip, no need to look for and re-flash Magisk 20.1 (the system has been restored automatically to Magisk 20.1), no need to wipe Dalvik and Cache!

I think that this solution is the most simple and easy, so need to be in sticky post.

OMG. My bad I deleted these backups in Recovery mode thinking that re-flashing magisk stable version will bring the device to system boot.

midnightwalkerx

Apr 10, 2009
colombo

cool bro. its worked for me on my mi max 3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those of you who, like me, didn't have a known good backup to work with, here's what I did:.......................

My Success Story

For those of you who, like me, didn't have a known good backup to work with, here's what I did:
    • Determine ROM version installed if you don't know what it is (I was able to check the /system/build.prop file from TWRP under ro.lge.swversion)
    • Grab the appropriate ROM .zip file (I got my h910-10r zip file from the H910 Root Post)
    • Unzip the ROM file
    • Grab the "boot" file from the ROM and place on an SD card as boot.img
    • Flash boot.img to the boot partition using the TWRP install function (you'll have to toggle it to show Images in the install screen)
    • Reflash Magisk v20.1 (you can download it from github)
    • Wipe Dalvik and Cache
    • Reboot
    • Wait for the LONG boot process which will go through the nerve-wracking android is staring screen with the percentage bar as it rebuilds the Dalvik cache (I think that's what it's doing)

As a note, this did not clear any of my data.

Good luck, YMMV.
    came out today. bricked my lg v20 h918
    come up showing red text with number of times bootloader is unlocked and will not boot further..

tried direct install.

had to hold button down like going into recovery then select yes twice then getg into twrp then restore boot and lafs etc.

then when all working i tried to install the same version via twrp install same issue. apparently installing to wrong partition..

reinstalling the older 20.1 (hopefully you have it downloaded) from twrp worked fine.
    20.3 is out now just updated via direct install on my vs995 unit all is fine

I got a little stuck here, so I'm going to take your method and break it down into steps. Hope you don't mind.

Note: I couldn't find the /data/magisk.... folder from the usb mounted drive so used TWRP file manager

Using a PC:
    • Goto Mount and Make sure Data and Micro SD card are checked
    • Go home and goto Advanced -> File Manager
    • Navigate to /data/magisk_backup_<long string>/ and click boot.img.gz
    • Copy File to /external_sd (sd card location)
    • Go home and goto Mount
    • Select Enable MTP
    • On computer, find boot.img.gz file on Micro SD card and extract it to desktop. I used PeaZIP but 7zip or Winrar should work too.
    • On computer, copy extracted boot.img back to Micro SD card.
    • Disable MTP
    • Navigate to boot.img file on /external_sd and click on it
    • Reboot System

Using Terminal in TWRP
    After going through this, I noticed a shortcut that wouldn't require a PC if your comfortable using a terminal.
    Thanks to @solo2racer

• Goto Mount
    • Make sure Data is checked
    • Go home and goto Advanced -> Terminal
    • Type cd /data/magisk and hit the Tab button in top left of software keyboard. This should auto-fill the whole magisk path. Then press the checkmark button on the keyboard.
    • Type ls and press the checkmark button to see the contents of the directory which should contain the boot.img.gz file
    • Type gzip -d boot.img.gz and press the checkmark button.
    • Type ls and press the checkmark button to see the contents of the directory which should now contain the boot.img file
    • Navigate to boot.img file at /data/magisk_.../ and click on it
    • Reboot System

To reiterate, if you don't have a magisk boot.img.gz backup, you can follow the steps on post #8. https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=81372967&postcount=8