[discontinued][ROM][unlocked][suez] Lineage-14.1 [26 SEP 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
Really looking forward to using this.

Quick question:

The OP mentions devices need to have had the linked bootloader hack performed on them. Do I still need to follow those steps if my HD 10 was already rooted and has TWRP installed using an older method (I forget what it was exactly but it could be done on Windows and seemed like the only option about a year ago)? If I do need precisely this newer method is it safe to install from where I'm at now or should I try to revert to stock first?

Perhaps someone remembers the method I'm talking about?

EDIT:
I just checked and it seems I dont have TWRP. Perhaps it was temporarily loaded in RAM during the exploit for root but never installed.

I'll just try the method that was linked.

It is preferable that you have your bootloader unlocked as custom recovery and root will be more "permanent" than the solution you mentioned. Makes things a whole lot easier in the long run. There's also a brick recovery process detailed in that thread as well, if you ever need it. Good luck! And try a Live Linux USB method with the bootloader unlock process, it's quite easy and less of a hassle.

I figured I would post this here so people can take a look at it and decide whether or not they would like to continue to use of using mtk-su. I could very well be reading this wrong but it doesn't sound like this little exploit is at all a good thing. And I think it's possible that its use should strongly be reconsidered. It appears at least according to this article it's function includes exploit which can install Espionage software on a device:

....The app then downloaded attack code that exploits CVE-2019-2215 or a separate ***exploit in the MediaTek-SU driver that installs an espionage app*** called callCam...

https://arstechnica.com/information...e-play-apps-linked-to-active-exploit-hackers/

I will most certainly correct myself if I happen to be wrong.

t0x1cSH

Jul 24, 2018
I figured I would post this here so people can take a look at it and decide whether or not they would like to continue to use of using mtk-su. I could very well be reading this wrong but it doesn't sound like this little exploit is at all a good thing. And I think it's possible that its use should strongly be reconsidered. It appears at least according to this article it's function includes exploit which can install Espionage software on a device:

https://arstechnica.com/information...e-play-apps-linked-to-active-exploit-hackers/

I will most certainly correct myself if I happen to be wrong.

you misunderstood how mtk-su is used in the malware context, the bad actor is using it as a way to get root access to mtk devices just like us in fact im pretty sure the bad actors is using the same one we can download (one of the releases), the mtk-su as is poses no threat

Last edited:
you misunderstood how mtk-su is used in the malware context, the bad actor is using it as a way to get root access to mtk devices just like us in fact im pretty sure the bad actors is using the same one we can download (one of the releases), the mtk-su as is poses no threat

Maybe maybe not. is there a source code that exists for this little thing? I would actually like to look over it if it all possible. I do understand but something about this just doesn't sit right with me at the moment. Just doesn't seem like it fits together. You're probably right but just for peace of mind...

t0x1cSH

Jul 24, 2018
Maybe maybe not. is there a source code that exists for this little thing? I would actually like to look over it if it all possible. I do understand but something about this just doesn't sit right with me at the moment. Just doesn't seem like it fits together. You're probably right but just for peace of mind...

Read the full write-up https://blog.trendmicro.com/trendla...n-google-play-linked-to-sidewinder-apt-group/

mtk-su is being used as a tool by the malware developers, please dont spread useless fear

if you dont trust it you can do some analysis on it, and see thats its not a "malware"

and probably you should share your concerns on the mtk-su thread

Last edited:
Reactions: k4y0z and Rortiz2
Since this project seems to be dead, is there any other custom ROM für HD10 that has the camera working?

No, no other ROMs with a working camera so far. And this project isn't dead. It's just on temporary hold while the various contributors are looking into the current issues. As for the main developer, ggow, he's dealing with IRL stuff and should be getting back into development in a couple months at most.

ylzzirg

Feb 1, 2017
Is encryption working?

When I go to Security and Encrypt the tablet...the system reboots and just goes into a bootloop. Has anyone been able to successfully encrypt the tablet?

sprocketpc

Nov 7, 2010
Many thanks for this work. I had hacked mine to use a non-Amazon launcher and not to update when I got it, and it was ok. But the NY Times recently dropped support for Fire tablets on their app (why???) so I hunted and found this. The tablet is SO much more responsive on LineageOS 14.1. But the !@#$%^&*(!!! NYT app still no longer allows swiping left/right between articles (they killed it completely, then seem to have brought it back on non-Fire tabs except in the "Today" section [morons...]). Any easy way to get the tablet to identify itself as something other than a Fire HD-10 to see if that makes the stupid app work a bit better?

Thanks again for the great work; I hadn't really thought about how slow it was till it became much snappier with this.

Many thanks for this work. I had hacked mine to use a non-Amazon launcher and not to update when I got it, and it was ok. But the NY Times recently dropped support for Fire tablets on their app (why???) so I hunted and found this. The tablet is SO much more responsive on LineageOS 14.1. But the !@#$%^&*(!!! NYT app still no longer allows swiping left/right between articles (they killed it completely, then seem to have brought it back on non-Fire tabs except in the "Today" section [morons...]). Any easy way to get the tablet to identify itself as something other than a Fire HD-10 to see if that makes the stupid app work a bit better?

Thanks again for the great work; I hadn't really thought about how slow it was till it became much snappier with this.

You could try to change the fingerprint to something else, like a Nexus 9 or Galaxy Tab A. There's a Magisk module that can do that.

Reactions: TheDevil259

DidleDum

Jan 20, 2020
Happy camper!

Very new to Android - three days old to be exact.

Followed the instructions for the loader/root/TWRP mod from k4y0z which worked (with a little help from the OP). However it blew away my system and I had a classic bootloop situation! I didn't let that hold me back, as I was able to boot to TWRP in recovery mode. I was more willing to sacrifice my Fire HD 10 than live with Fire OS, so I continued and decided to flash the ggow image and see what happens. Followed the instructions on the first post of this thread and viola it worked!! The system booted - even though I was worried about it taking so long and was just seconds away from aborting. Glad I didn't. Ha, even the Kindle app works and I can access all my stuff from the Kindle store without Fire OS.

What amazed me in all this was the fact that, according to the ROM download page, there have been less than 2000 downloads! Is that real? ggow, k4y0z, Ziona & Co do all this work for a few individuals??? If so, I take my hat off to them. Lets see if I'm able to get Ziona's patch working!
I have two questions which I hope someone can help with:
  1. I can't see my device over USB on either Linux or Microsoft Wunders and therefore can't copy files - except in TWRP. Is that normal?
  2. A question to the community: where is a good place to start if I'm trying to learn more? Trying to get my head around Magisk, TWRP, etc. was not really the best place to start. The descriptions and tutorials I found assume I know what they're talking about which I don't- e.g. comparing Magisk to X-framework, which means absolutely nothing to a beginner. Should I now look for information on X-framework, so that I "get an idea" of how Magisk works. Most of my time so far has been spent chasing my tail from one term or abbreviation to the next, until I reach the point where I no longer remember where I started! I would greatly appreciate a pointer to a structured information base or set of tutorials on Android and related topics. Help!

Thanks.

Very new to Android - three days old to be exact.

Followed the instructions for the loader/root/TWRP mod from k4y0z which worked (with a little help from the OP). However it blew away my system and I had a classic bootloop situation! I didn't let that hold me back, as I was able to boot to TWRP in recovery mode. I was more willing to sacrifice my Fire HD 10 than live with Fire OS, so I continued and decided to flash the ggow image and see what happens. Followed the instructions on the first post of this thread and viola it worked!! The system booted - even though I was worried about it taking so long and was just seconds away from aborting. Glad I didn't. Ha, even the Kindle app works and I can access all my stuff from the Kindle store without Fire OS.

What amazed me in all this was the fact that, according to the ROM download page, there have been less than 2000 downloads! Is that real? ggow, k4y0z, Ziona & Co do all this work for a few individuals??? If so, I take my hat off to them. Lets see if I'm able to get Ziona's patch working!
I have two questions which I hope someone can help with:
  1. I can't see my device over USB on either Linux or Microsoft Wunders and therefore can't copy files - except in TWRP. Is that normal?
  2. A question to the community: where is a good place to start if I'm trying to learn more? Trying to get my head around Magisk, TWRP, etc. was not really the best place to start. The descriptions and tutorials I found assume I know what they're talking about which I don't- e.g. comparing Magisk to X-framework, which means absolutely nothing to a beginner. Should I now look for information on X-framework, so that I "get an idea" of how Magisk works. Most of my time so far has been spent chasing my tail from one term or abbreviation to the next, until I reach the point where I no longer remember where I started! I would greatly appreciate a pointer to a structured information base or set of tutorials on Android and related topics. Help!

Thanks.

Welcome to the Android community! You've chosen a hell of a way to step into this world, lol. Your first device and you've already done complex tasks that some of us are still in the process of learning. I commend you! You've come a long way in a short amount of time!

To answer your questions,
1. That's actually an issue I have had myself as well. In my case, I got it working, but then again, it doesn't display the SD card, just internal storage. I'm guessing you might not have toggled the notification from USB charging to USB transfer? You may need to enable MTP from the pull-down notification.
2. Magisk is a method of systemless root, meaning it doesn't actually modify the system files, leaving most apps unaware that your device is even rooted. This is further masked by the MagiskHide option within the manager app. This means if Magisk is hidden from the apps you've selected, they will (usually) work as intended, regardless of root status. That includes Google Pay and other financial apps, Netflix, and so on.
Xposed Framework is the previous method used to customize Android using, well, a framework. It's not systemless, however, and can break some apps, while improving others. It is still very much in an experimental state for the latter versions of Android, as those have greatly changed the way Android works, so Rovo89 has had to work extensively on it to make it run, as well as the third-parties involved in developing the modules it uses. So if you DO employ its use, beware that it may have some bugs! Magisk, on the other hand, is somewhat more stable and new updates are released quite often, though some modules may still be out of date, or even abandoned. They *should* still work, in most cases, however. Your mileage may vary. But if you have any other questions about either of those, feel free to ask in their help threads.

As much as we'd like to answer any other questions you may have, we do try to keep this thread on topic, in regards to the ROM itself. So feel free to PM myself or anyone else who may have experience with those apps. And once again, welcome to Android! May your stay with us be a pleasant one! And some advice, if you have any bugs or concerns, try to get a logcat if possible. "Logcat Extreme" on the Play Store is a good app for this purpose. Attach it along with any mods/changes you've added, and we'll do our best to help you out!

tuniel

Sep 11, 2009
eindhoven
Nexus 7
Samsung Galaxy S4
Hi all,
finally i bit the bullet, went through the unlocking process and installed this rom. it's great to finally have LOS on the tablet!
i have installed magisk, omx fix and the headphone fix. managed to have the device certified, so i can see netflix from the play store, i can download, however when i launch it i get device not compatible error. i can download the 4.16 version from the netflix help page, but that hasn't the download option. tried APKmirror, same story.
any leads?

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer
    Code:
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
     * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
     * in the products you find here before flashing it!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
     */
    LineageOS needs no introductions. This version of LineageOS-14.1 is a highly customised version solely for the Amazon Fire HD10

- EVEN MORE IMPORTANT: This ROM only works on devices using the bootloader hack. See <<< HERE >>> to unlock your devices.

- IMPORTANT: Do not update Magisk via the Magisk Manager App, your device will enter a bootloop if you do. Instead update Magisk via TWRP only. If you do this by accident then it is recoverable by just flashing the latest version of the ROM again (with gapps etc as required).

Rules
    - Please search the thread before asking questions
    - Please try to stay on topic, I know it's not always possible
    - Please report bugs here
    - Report only one issue per bug report
    - When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg containing pertinent information regarding the issue...
    - Saying something isn't working without proper explanation will not attract any attention.

Known Issues
    - Wired headphones do not work
    - Camera does not work
    - OMX is only partially working

Prerequisites for Installation
    - Clean installation is required coming from lineage-12.1
    - Unlocked Bootloader
    - TWRP Installed

Initial Installation
    or coming from another rom
    - Enter TWRP
    - Enter wipe option
    - Format Data
    - Then swipe to factory reset
    - Copy the ROM to your device
    - Copy optional zips like gapps and magisk to device if required
    - You also have the option of using micro-g framework
    - Flash ROM, then optional zips
    - Reboot
    - And Enjoy :D

Upgrading to a new version
    - Copy the ROM to your device
    - Flash ROM
    - And Enjoy :D

Downloads
    *** Please do NOT create any mirrors ***
    Lineage-14.1 for Amazon Fire HD10"

Source Code
    - Kernel Source: https://github.com/ggow/android_kernel_amazon_mt8173-common
    - Suez Tree: https://github.com/ggow/android_device_amazon_suez
    - mt8173-common Tree: https://github.com/ggow/android_device_amazon_mt8173-common

Thanks
    - @k4y0z and @xyz` for the bootloader hack
    - @Goayandi for the mt8173 resources
    - LineageOS

Note
    Their is a issue with video playback do to the omx library files. This is a link to flash a fix in recovery for this problem below.
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=80762749&postcount=248

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS, ROM for the Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10

Contributors
    ggow, Ziona
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x

Version Information

Created 2019-09-26
    Last Updated 2020-08-11
    OMX FIX FOR VIDEO PLAYBACK

FLASH VIA RECOVERY

FIX'S YOUTUBE , FACEBOOK , LOCAL & WEB PLAYBACK

(No more video black screen or glitches)

:good:
    Project is definitely not dead. There is a lot of activity from various people since I have been absent. Hope everyone has had a good Christmas and wish everyone a great new year.

Things should start settling down for me in the new year, hopefully by the end of the first quarter.
    @ggow Any news about the new build with working OMX?

Not had a chance to do anything as yet. Busy with work, high stress and need to focus on that for the moment. When that passes then I can start to do more again.
    Just a quick note, progress has been slow this week due to time constraints.

Interviewing for another job this week and away on business next week.
    Things will start progressing once I get through the hump.