[GUIDE] How to Change Boot Logo (Splash Screen) for Snapdragon Devices (splash.img)

Search This thread

RandomGuy723842

Feb 16, 2020
Hi, need your help to create a logo for Xiaomi Redmi Go or at least determine how BMPs are packed there. (remove space in the link)
drive.google .com/open?id=1jHCMsZEyCLnO_8ZIUem5wht3ZBlAkKF0

adeii

Nov 11, 2013
Sajlent Hil
Hi, need your help to create a logo for Xiaomi Redmi Go or at least determine how BMPs are packed there. (remove space in the link)
1 - Since there are no "BM" headers in splash.img (open file in hex editor), we can not extract BMPs from it.
2 - RawPixels.net shows eccentric MI logo for Redmi Go resolution (720x1280), I guess we can convert some RAW RGB24 to PNG and edit it and revert it to RAW RGB24 and integrate in splash.img.
3 - If run
"FFMPEG -hide_banner -s 720x1280-f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb24 -i splash.img logo_%04d.png"
you will got eccentric/cutted 4 PNG with MI logo, FastBoot,MI logo unlocked and System error, with bad colors.
So need, to cut off header (1/2/4/16/20 kb) and use brg24/bgr24/grb24 or some else color table.
But none of them are good and color table is bgr24.
4 - reverting last one, this is good, to BMP with
"FFMPEG -s 720x1280 -vcodec png -i logo_0004.png -vcodec rawvideo -f rawvideo -pix_fmt bgr24 4.bmp"
we got 2.764.800 bytes BMP. Header + 4 that size = 11.061.248 bytes splash.img so header is 2048 bytes...Nope, bootload is different resolution...3rd and 4th bitmap are good, but 1st and 2nd are not...
5 - If use MI6 bitmaps and resize to RedMi Go res...could be used in splash.img..but how to do that some other time...
but let have experiment - 2kb header from ReadMiGo and 4 bitmaps from MI6 - does it works for you?

Attachments

• logo_0001.png
    logo_0001.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 100
  • logo_0002.png
    logo_0002.png
    216.3 KB · Views: 103
  • logo_0003.png
    logo_0003.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 102
  • logo_0004.png
    logo_0004.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 100
  • MI6.zip
    465 KB · Views: 13
  • RedmiGoSplash.7z
    182.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reactions: RandomGuy723842

lmt399

Nov 25, 2010

Hi.

Original splash screen without (unlocked) message.

"Unzip file"

Flash with fastboot.

fastboot flash splash splash.img

fastboot reboot :good:

Attachments

• splashstock.png
    splashstock.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 61
  • splash.img.zip
    166.1 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: RandomGuy723842
Dec 16, 2019
I found two partition ,LOGO and splash on the same directory dev/block/bootdevices/by-name/,
My device is realms 5 and which one I can dump ?

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

What is splash.img ?
splash.img (or splash.bin or logo.img or logo.bin) is the raw file in which the boot logo (splash screen - the picture displayed when the device is booted) is stored.
It is stored under the partition: splash or logo in many Snapdragon devices (might vary for devices)

How can I know if my device uses splash.img ?
This splash.img is found mostly in Snapdragon devices (atleast as far as I have seen) (except Samsung devices).
To check if your device uses it, just go to the directory '/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/' and see if there's a partition block named 'splash' or 'logo'.
Or else you can also check your stock ROM (or stock firmware) to see if it contains the splash.img or logo.img or logo.bin (Qualcomm Devices only)..

Where should I get the stock splash.img from?
It can be dumped to your storage by the command:
Code:
su
dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/splash of=/sdcard/splash.img
(Similarly for logo.img or logo.bin)
(You may also find it in your factory images (stock ROM))

How do I edit/modify/create the splash.img ?
Leave a reply in this thread by attaching your splash.img (along with device name) so that I can see what format it is and I'll try to create a tool for your device.

TOOLS for DEVICES SUPPORTED as of now:
(Do not use the tool created for some other devices in your device, it may brick your device)

Click here for very old HTC devices.
Here's an universal splash maker (works only for few devices; I don't know. Your risk) [NOT FOR ALL DEVICES!]

What about Mediatek devices ?
For MTK devices, you might have a different partition for that called 'logo'.
Browse in /dev directory to find out where that is present.
After you have found out, dump the logo.bin file by:
Code:
dd if=/<the_directory_where_logo_is_present>/logo of=/sdcard/logo.bin
Now you can edit the logo.bin using this tool:
Changing Boot Logo (logo.bin) - LOGO BUILDER Program

After editing, you can reflash it by:
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/logo.bin of=/<the_directory_where_logo_is_present>/logo
Hit the Thanks:good: button if you found this helpful.

I do the command but terminal emulator said no such file or directory on my device realme 5
But I found two partition on there (LOGO and splash) in the same directory dev/block/bootdevice/by-name

RandomGuy723842

Feb 16, 2020
Hi.

Original splash screen without (unlocked) message.

"Unzip file"

Flash with fastboot.

fastboot flash splash splash.img

fastboot reboot :good:
Thanks, but looks like only 1st image is updated via boot (I see it for a sec right after turning on).
I see second image with default "unlocked" message and only then can see loaded bootanimation.zip.
Can it be the image inside boot.img?

lmt399

Nov 25, 2010
Thanks, but looks like only 1st image is updated via boot (I see it for a sec right after turning on).
I see second image with default "unlocked" message and only then can see loaded bootanimation.zip.
Can it be the image inside boot.img?

Try this.

Flash with twrp recovery.

Attachments

• splash.zip
    293.2 KB · Views: 27

mathhocraft

Oct 9, 2016
Can you boot to system and fastboot at all?! Can you restore stock splash.img? Have you tried splash.img for A2 only or for Note 7 ?
yeah when i reboot in system the tux image still appers
i dont tested fastboot but i think is the same
i tested a2 tool and note 7 tool not work here gives a error when build the splash.img
edit1= if i restore splash.img if you see in the video the redmi logo appers again working, now i will try a2 and redmi note 7 splash here for test

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts