Confirmed working hulu on captivate! Now works through reboot... Now flash 11.1

Search This thread

gerbig

May 26, 2008
I've edited this post way too much and now it's a mess, sorry. There are 2 methods that can be used to install the modified Flash that tricks Hulu into thinking our phones are computers running Windows. Depending on your ROM, one or the other may be easier. Please see the ps/pps at the bottom.

I was helping my cousin setup his new Evo and it seems that some of their ROMs include a working Hulu. It turns out that it's easy to fix, just swap a single file and change your UA string. Here are the steps I followed to get Hulu to work on my Captivate running Cognition 2.3b6. I don't see why it wouldn't work for anyone running Froyo/GB. I'm currently using this with Apex 7.

You need two files, a Hulu.apk that seems to simply launch the stock Browser preconfigured with the desktop settings and an edited Flash library file the attached flash apk. As an alternative to the Hulu.apk you can also use Dolphin or any browser that you can configure with a desktop UA string. In fact, that may be preferable, but this way is fewer steps :)

Instructions
Method 1, replace the library file
  1. Update Flash to current Market version (11.1.111.5)
  2. Extract libflashplayer.so from libflashplayer.so.zip attached to this post
  3. Copy libflashplayer.so to /sdcard
  4. Copy libflashplayer.so from /sdcard to /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib using root explorer, adb, or a terminal. I recommend making an extra copy of the modified libflashplayer.so in case it's replaced on reboot.
  5. Make sure the permissions for libflashplayer.so are rwxr-xr-x (chmod 755).

Method 2, replace the app
  2. Copy the attached file com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk to /sdcard
  3. Copy com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk from /sdcard to /data/app using root explorer, adb, or a terminal. I recommend backing up the old com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk (rename to com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk.bak or something) before copying the new file. If your current file doesn't have the -1 then you can just leave that part out...
  4. Make sure the permissions for com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk are rw-r--r-- (chmod 644 or User=Read/Write, Group and Others=Read in Root Explorer).
  5. Reboot the phone so the new flashplayer will be installed
  6. Install the Hulu.apk linked above
  7. Run the new Hulu program
  8. See if you can load a video. You can get better quality by following a link to the full Hulu site.

Notes
  • If you have an issue with slowed-down audio ("demon voices"), try another ROM (like Paragon or Apex) or the stagefright from this thread in the Infuse 4G. Be careful with this, I haven't tested it and, while someone reported success with it, someone got boot loops after flashing it.
  • I've had the best luck using the full site, full screen at the 288p setting. Framerate isn't great on the higher quality settings with my setup.
  • The Hulu program doesn't always exit properly. To make it stop playing you can open Browser and load a page, that seems to interrupt Hulu.
  • If it doesn't look like anything is happening, try zooming in and out. Once the video starts playing you should be able to see it normally.
  • Be patient while it's loading. Try not to click on the window while it's showing ads.
  • If the video isn't loading when using a regular browser, try clicking the arrow next to "Share this video".

I was going to test these instructions again, but I don't have time right now. I think these are the steps that worked for me :) Good luck!

ps. I followed GGXtreme's lead and created an apk that'll keep it working through reboots. The instructions now reflect this.

I've left the old instructions (the ones with the line through them) here in case anyone prefers to do it that way, but I'll probably remove them once people indicate the apk is working for them. I plan to update the apk when there's a new Market version of flash.

pps. I'm not sure which is the easiest way anymore, there are too many differences between ROMs. I've added just the modified .so file zipped up as an attachment. If swapping the apk doesn't work, try using the original directions after unzipping the .so file. Please note that the zip is just a compressed file, it can't be flashed in CWM. For what's it's worth, the lib file isn't being replaced on reboot on my current ROM (Apex 9).

Attachments

• libflashplayer.zip
    4 MB · Views: 35
  • com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk
    4.4 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:

d1g1talphyre

May 3, 2009
Oregon
hmmmm, worked until i rebooted my phone.

Gonna try copying the libflashplayer.so and doing the chmod again.

kinda worked so far.

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
I was helping my cousin setup his new Evo and it seems that some of their ROMs include a working Hulu. It turns out that it's easy to fix, just swap a single file and change your UA string. Here are the steps I followed to get Hulu to work on my Captivate running Cognition 2.3b6. I don't see why it wouldn't work for anyone running Froyo.

You need two files, a Hulu.apk that seems to simply launch the stock Browser preconfigured with the desktop settings and an edited Flash library file. As an alternative to the Hulu.apk you can also use Dolphin or any browser that you can configure with a desktop UA string. In fact, that may be preferable, but this way is fewer steps :)

Instructions
  1. Update Flash to current Market version (10.1.95.2). I'm not sure if you need to uninstall your current Flash or not, but I removed mine.
  2. Extract libflashplayer.so from the Flash library file zip linked above
  4. Copy libflashplayer.so from /sdcard to
  5. /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib using root explorer, adb, or a terminal and make sure the permissions for libflashplayer.so is rwxr-xr-x (chmod 755). I recommend backing up the old libflashplayer.so (rename to libflashplayer.so.bak or something) before copying the new file.
  8. See if you can load a video. You can get better quality by following a link to the full Hulu site.

Notes
  • I've had the best luck using the full site, full screen at the 288p setting. Framerate isn't great on the higher quality settings with my setup.
  • The Hulu program doesn't always exit properly. To make it stop playing you can open Browser and load a page, that seems to interrupt Hulu.
  • If it doesn't look like anything is happening, try zooming in and out. Once the video starts playing you should be able to see it normally.
  • Be patient while it's loading. Try not to click on the window while it's showing ads.
  • If the video isn't loading when using a regular browser, try clicking the arrow next to "Share this video".

I was going to test these instructions again, but I don't have time right now. I think these are the steps that worked for me :) Good luck!

thanks trying now.

d1g1talphyre

May 3, 2009
Oregon
So, i got it to load the first 5 seconds or so of the video through the hulu app. Then it kicks you out. no fc. just kicks you back to the home screen. I was using Axuara b4. Gonna try this next with di11igafs 1.0 rom

maybe you could share what rom you were using to get this accomplished on. that might help with being able to recreate this

d1g1talphyre

May 3, 2009
Oregon
CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Confirmed working, plus pic of the new Simpsons episode!

IMAG0062.jpg

WOOT!

so, I am running Di11igaf's Rom ver 1.0 with setiron 1.4.2 1200 kernel.

I couldn't get it to work on Axuara beta4, or beta5 rom. sorry all, maybe someone else can figure it out.

but works!

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
Followed the directions above and got it to work for me on Cognadian Bacon B4. I had to change the settings to the 288p for it to work. It kept freezing up until I changed it.

Cog'd Perception or Cog'd 2.3b6 depending on my need for flash addiction

d1g1talphyre

May 3, 2009
Oregon
okay, so ran into a snag. but working it out with di11igaf's help

it seems on reboot that the libflashplayer.so the modified version gets copied over by something back to the original.

So, trying to work out an init.c script or something to rewrite the file, and chmod it back to where it needs to be.

I will probably post a new thread when I have it working correctly.

Thank you for trying this out guys.

lionheartck

Jul 10, 2010
Why not just download Dolphin HD, and change the user agent to Desktop? Does this offer some features that wouldn't.

d1g1talphyre

May 3, 2009
Oregon
Do you need a hulu plus account for this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

noope, sure don't.

I am getting closer to having this work after reboot. Im playing with baking in the hulu app into a rom so I can use the pm uninstall/install shell commands to remove and reinstall app every start up.

its much closer than a couple days ago :)

d1g1talphyre

May 3, 2009
Oregon
Why not just download Dolphin HD, and change the user agent to Desktop? Does this offer some features that wouldn't.

the dolphin hd browser will work only after you move the hex edited libflashplayer.so. At that point hulu checks the flash version and it reports back desktop, as well as the UA string in the browser should work as well.

it has to be the combination of the both of them

lionheartck

Jul 10, 2010
Ah, I think its built into my Tom, and I took it for granted that it would work for everyone.

Sent from my captivate lodged in my anus using the XDA app.

slider2828

Jul 19, 2010
On mine the voice is garbled like slow motion, but the other sounds come through no idea why......

commshop

Jan 9, 2011
Confirmed works but...

I didn't have to download the Flash to current Market version (10.1.106.15). My Captivate with Cognition 2.3b8 and 2.2 firmware was already flash ready.

I was able to shell into phone: note: after adb shell and at $ prompt, when you type "su" at the shell prompt, you need to look at your phone (popup asking for permission) - click allow and your good to go.

Once in, I cd to /sdcard and found the libflashplayer.so I placed there earlier.

I renamed old file /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so to libflashplayer.so.bak as noted in the instructions with this command - mv /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so.bak

Problem: After changing the old files name, I could not move the new file with the following command: mv /sdcard/libflashplayer.so /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib

I received cross-devise link error. This may be a permission error, don't know.

I could not move the file no matter what I did.

Solution: I shelled into Captivate as su, chmod 777 /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib directory(this will prevent the following push command below from being denied because of permissions)

On your PC, put the libflashplayer.so file where your adb executable resides.
Then: from the same folder enter - adb push libflashplayer.so /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib

This pushes the file where you need it

Once file is confirmed in place, I- chmod 755 /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib to revert directory permissions to original

You may have to (chown system libflashplayer.so) because the file once pushed shows owned by shell vs system.

In summary: I only had to put one file on my Captivate, the libflashplayer.so at the top of this thread . I used Dolphin HD and set agent to PC.

It works.

Note: In first trials I had to click the arrow next to "Share this video".

I read the only way to set resolution to 288 is create an account and set your settings within your Hulu accnt. That way when you login from your Droid optimum settings are already set.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: fiddlermikey

slider2828

Jul 19, 2010
Does it work after reboot? Also sometimes it didn't play for me just commercial after commercial after commercial but never the show

commshop

Jan 9, 2011
Does it work after reboot? Also sometimes it didn't play for me just commercial after commercial after commercial but never the show

No it does not - I tried to chmod 555 the libflashplayer.so to prevent writable and left the owner and group as shell. The OS still overwrites it every time upon reboot.

I don't reboot that often but if I were to go on a trip I could survive several days or more without a reboot. This would be enough justification to push the flash file and benefit from it for the time being.

I think I'll install a shell program on the droid and leave a backup of the file in the /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib folder. That way I can shell in right from the droid and mv libflashplayer.so.bak libflashplayer.so

This way I can reboot and run the droid shell program and arrow up to get the last command. Just thinking out loud. Cheers

Update: A simple terminal emulator and a backup of the libflashplayer.so solution above worked. I rebooted, used the terminal emulator to go to the directory and overwrote libflashplayer.so with my backup file. Done -

It works and everything I need for Hulu is on my droid no matter how many times I reboot.

The emulator I chose was free from market named Android Terminal Emulator by Jack Palevich. It's quite clean.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've edited this post way too much and now it's a mess, sorry. There are 2 methods that can be used to install the modified Flash that tricks Hulu into thinking our phones are computers running Windows. Depending on your ROM, one or the other may be easier. Please see the ps/pps at the bottom.

I was helping my cousin setup his new Evo and it seems that some of their ROMs include a working Hulu. It turns out that it's easy to fix, just swap a single file and change your UA string. Here are the steps I followed to get Hulu to work on my Captivate running Cognition 2.3b6. I don't see why it wouldn't work for anyone running Froyo/GB. I'm currently using this with Apex 7.

You need two files, a Hulu.apk that seems to simply launch the stock Browser preconfigured with the desktop settings and an edited Flash library file the attached flash apk. As an alternative to the Hulu.apk you can also use Dolphin or any browser that you can configure with a desktop UA string. In fact, that may be preferable, but this way is fewer steps :)

Instructions
    Method 1, replace the library file
    2. Extract libflashplayer.so from libflashplayer.so.zip attached to this post
    4. Copy libflashplayer.so from /sdcard to /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib using root explorer, adb, or a terminal. I recommend making an extra copy of the modified libflashplayer.so in case it's replaced on reboot.
    5. Make sure the permissions for libflashplayer.so are rwxr-xr-x (chmod 755).

Method 2, replace the app
    2. Copy the attached file com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk to /sdcard
    3. Copy com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk from /sdcard to /data/app using root explorer, adb, or a terminal. I recommend backing up the old com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk (rename to com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk.bak or something) before copying the new file. If your current file doesn't have the -1 then you can just leave that part out...
    4. Make sure the permissions for com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk are rw-r--r-- (chmod 644 or User=Read/Write, Group and Others=Read in Root Explorer).
    5. Reboot the phone so the new flashplayer will be installed

Notes
    • If you have an issue with slowed-down audio ("demon voices"), try another ROM (like Paragon or Apex) or the stagefright from this thread in the Infuse 4G. Be careful with this, I haven't tested it and, while someone reported success with it, someone got boot loops after flashing it.

ps. I followed GGXtreme's lead and created an apk that'll keep it working through reboots. The instructions now reflect this.

I've left the old instructions (the ones with the line through them) here in case anyone prefers to do it that way, but I'll probably remove them once people indicate the apk is working for them. I plan to update the apk when there's a new Market version of flash.

pps. I'm not sure which is the easiest way anymore, there are too many differences between ROMs. I've added just the modified .so file zipped up as an attachment. If swapping the apk doesn't work, try using the original directions after unzipping the .so file. Please note that the zip is just a compressed file, it can't be flashed in CWM. For what's it's worth, the lib file isn't being replaced on reboot on my current ROM (Apex 9).
    Confirmed works but...

I didn't have to download the Flash to current Market version (10.1.106.15). My Captivate with Cognition 2.3b8 and 2.2 firmware was already flash ready.

I was able to shell into phone: note: after adb shell and at $ prompt, when you type "su" at the shell prompt, you need to look at your phone (popup asking for permission) - click allow and your good to go.

Once in, I cd to /sdcard and found the libflashplayer.so I placed there earlier.

I renamed old file /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so to libflashplayer.so.bak as noted in the instructions with this command - mv /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so.bak

Problem: After changing the old files name, I could not move the new file with the following command: mv /sdcard/libflashplayer.so /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib

I received cross-devise link error. This may be a permission error, don't know.

I could not move the file no matter what I did.

Solution: I shelled into Captivate as su, chmod 777 /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib directory(this will prevent the following push command below from being denied because of permissions)

On your PC, put the libflashplayer.so file where your adb executable resides.
    Then: from the same folder enter - adb push libflashplayer.so /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib

This pushes the file where you need it

Once file is confirmed in place, I- chmod 755 /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib to revert directory permissions to original

You may have to (chown system libflashplayer.so) because the file once pushed shows owned by shell vs system.

In summary: I only had to put one file on my Captivate, the libflashplayer.so at the top of this thread . I used Dolphin HD and set agent to PC.

It works.

Note: In first trials I had to click the arrow next to "Share this video".

I read the only way to set resolution to 288 is create an account and set your settings within your Hulu accnt. That way when you login from your Droid optimum settings are already set.

Cheers
    No it does not - I tried to chmod 555 the libflashplayer.so to prevent writable and left the owner and group as shell. The OS still overwrites it every time upon reboot.

I don't reboot that often but if I were to go on a trip I could survive several days or more without a reboot. This would be enough justification to push the flash file and benefit from it for the time being.

I think I'll install a shell program on the droid and leave a backup of the file in the /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib folder. That way I can shell in right from the droid and mv libflashplayer.so.bak libflashplayer.so

This way I can reboot and run the droid shell program and arrow up to get the last command. Just thinking out loud. Cheers

Update: A simple terminal emulator and a backup of the libflashplayer.so solution above worked. I rebooted, used the terminal emulator to go to the directory and overwrote libflashplayer.so with my backup file. Done -

It works and everything I need for Hulu is on my droid no matter how many times I reboot.

The emulator I chose was free from market named Android Terminal Emulator by Jack Palevich. It's quite clean.

I fixed the problem by updating the /lib/libflashplayer.so inside the install_flash_player.apk package. The modified one sticks now.
    I followed all the steps in the OP and still get the "...not supported on your platform...."
    I'm on paragon 4.0. What could I be missing?

Paragon, ALL you need to do is go to /system/app/ delete the flash_player_install.apk, rename the apk attached in the opening thread to the original you just deleted.

Reboot and you are done.

Problem, I followed the op steps got hulu to play, had the "demon voices" and followed the steps in op link to stop them.
    While playing a 3min clip in hulu app the voices are fine, 40min video had the voice problem, 3min and 40min videos where messed up on full site.
    I have rebooted, reinstalled, and really falsest the HTTP setting in .prop
    I'm running Perception 10.1 with the firebird kernal that came with it
    Thanks for any help

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

Demon Voices are ROM specific. Don't ask me why. Get on PARAGON 5.1 and it will run 10000x better. Trust me

ive tried this and still cant get it to work

List what you have tried, PM if you have more questions as I don't check this thread too often. BUt I was just watching some stuff on Hulu yesterday no problems still......
    I get the modified files from this Evo thread. I haven't gotten the APK to work with my current ROM (modified ROM Kitchen JVH), but the then current Flash was working when I was on GR-12. For now, I'm installing the Market Flash, extracting the libflashplayer.so file from the lib folder in the modified apk (that's the only modified file), and manually copying it to the /data/data/com.adobeflashplayer/lib folder with Root Explorer.

The downside to this approach is that the file gets replaced every reboot. To help make this less annoying, I make an extra copy of the file when I copy it into the /data folder and rename it libflashplayer.so.win. That file stays through the reboots so I just go in and copy that file and rename the extra extra file back to libflashplayer.so, replacing the stock one that got reinstalled.

I'll be glad if someone figures out how to make the apk method work reliably. I bet if you try some different ROMs it'll work for you...