Bricked Rogers Samsung Captivate (i896)

Search This thread

stavs

Nov 5, 2010
silly me decided to install a custom battery icon. In the description for the mod on app planet it said to use with froyo but didnt say it would not work with eclair. I installed the mod without problems and I thought everything was going well, but now my phone is bricked, and wont load past the samsung i896 boot screen even after deleting all user data and wiping my cache in recovery mode. So I guess my only option now is to flash a rom using odin, but id rather prefer not to flash to a stock ATT 2.1 rom, i would like to flash back to my original stock rogers.

Is it possible to flash to an ATT rom, then do a factory reset from the privacy settings of the phone to bring me back to rogers stock rom?

sshvetsov

Nov 12, 2010
I don't think you can easily return to Rogers stock rom using odin. Most people end up having AT&T logo on boot. However, since you're soft bricked anyways, why don't you try using Heimdall, new Open-Source Flashing Software and this dump generated from stock Rogers phone.

I haven't seen any reports of tests on Captivate yet, but it seems to work well on other Galaxies. Check Heimdall thread for more info, and if it works well for you, please report to this thread. Good luck!

Reactions: stavs

stavs

Nov 5, 2010
thanks, i installed heimdall perfectly fine, it recognizes my device, but i cant download that PIT file from megaupload, its failed to download multiple times. Is there any other links?

I will keep trying

Last edited:

nostratispeak

Oct 2, 2010
Hi! I just came across the same issue. I've been using the Cognition ROM on my Captivate for some months now and only today decided to switch to Perception 8. I downloaded the latter and rebooted through ROM Manager which, as I've done before, rebooted and backed up all my data. It then proceeded to erase all user data and cache and attempted to install Perception 8 ROM, but was unsuccessful. It provided me with a usual list of options, including 'Reboot', 'Backup' (i think) and others. I chose to Reboot thinking it would just go back to the last best ROM (i.e. Cognition latest, in my case).

Now it just reboots and refuses to go past the at&t World Phone boot screen.

I've tried the button combinations. Up-volume+down-volume+power button, up+power, up+home+power, down+home+power (!). All these seem to reboot the phone and in about 10 seconds after I press them, takes me right back to the same boot screen and not past it.

I'm fairly sure my old data is backed up somewhere inside.

I've tried to read the other forums, but nothing in particular seems to work for me. I run Ubuntu on my laptop, wanted to try Heimdall but its download page is down.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
1) Any other button combinations?
2) Any other tricks, including ways to using Heimdall (whose source files I can't seem to find), to get into my device?

Apologies for the detail, but I presume there's someone who knows exactly what I'm talking about.

OP, what software did you end up using on your computer to gain access to the device?

Thanks.

stavs

Nov 5, 2010
Hi! I just came across the same issue. I've been using the Cognition ROM on my Captivate for some months now and only today decided to switch to Perception 8. I downloaded the latter and rebooted through ROM Manager which, as I've done before, rebooted and backed up all my data. It then proceeded to erase all user data and cache and attempted to install Perception 8 ROM, but was unsuccessful. It provided me with a usual list of options, including 'Reboot', 'Backup' (i think) and others. I chose to Reboot thinking it would just go back to the last best ROM (i.e. Cognition latest, in my case).

Now it just reboots and refuses to go past the at&t World Phone boot screen.

I've tried the button combinations. Up-volume+down-volume+power button, up+power, up+home+power, down+home+power (!). All these seem to reboot the phone and in about 10 seconds after I press them, takes me right back to the same boot screen and not past it.

I'm fairly sure my old data is backed up somewhere inside.

I've tried to read the other forums, but nothing in particular seems to work for me. I run Ubuntu on my laptop, wanted to try Heimdall but its download page is down.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
1) Any other button combinations?
2) Any other tricks, including ways to using Heimdall (whose source files I can't seem to find), to get into my device?

Apologies for the detail, but I presume there's someone who knows exactly what I'm talking about.

OP, what software did you end up using on your computer to gain access to the device?

Thanks.

i used heimdall, which was linked above, but I was able to get into download mode through my phone since it was soft bricked. IF you can get back into Download mode, then you are fine... Keep trying until you do, otherwise you might have to use the JIG method.

sshvetsov

Nov 12, 2010
yes i used it, installed the drivers on my pc, downloaded the rom i provided in my response and flashed it, worked flawlessly without problems.

That's great news! I'm sure a lot of rogers captivate users will be very happy to learn that. Just curious, where did the linked rom dump come from?

EDIT: Nevermind, found this thread describing Rogers stock restore procedure using Heimdall and the bundle you used.

Last edited:

nostratispeak

Oct 2, 2010
@stavs Thanks.

Just curious. What's the difference between a soft brick and hard one? My Captivate simply refuses to get past the AT&T World Phone logo white boot screen - the very first one when you normally reboot the Captivate. I'm not sure if I'm in the 'Download' mode. And, I don't have access to the material required for the JIG. So, I'm hoping to get this done the software route.

Is there a chance that anything from my last best Cognition ROM is still active in there somewhere?

I'm also afraid that if I keep my phone ON for too long, it will simply die out and refuse to recharge.

Thanks.

EDIT: I followed the instructions from this thread and I have the phone in what I believe, is the Download mode: Droid shoving dirt within a filled yellow triangle, with a message "Downloading" "Do not turn off Target". My device is connected to my laptop. I don't see anything popping up on the screen. I also have Heimdall frontend up and running in Ubuntu.

I've downloaded a few ROMs, including Cognition and some samsung stock firmware. There are conflicting information in different pages. Am not sure what to do next. Help?

Last edited:
Reactions: stavs

Benjamin Dobell

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Melbourne
www.glassechidna.com.au
@stavs Thanks.

Just curious. What's the difference between a soft brick and hard one? My Captivate simply refuses to get past the AT&T World Phone logo white boot screen - the very first one when you normally reboot the Captivate. I'm not sure if I'm in the 'Download' mode. And, I don't have access to the material required for the JIG. So, I'm hoping to get this done the software route.

Is there a chance that anything from my last best Cognition ROM is still active in there somewhere?

I'm also afraid that if I keep my phone ON for too long, it will simply die out and refuse to recharge.

Thanks.
Your device isn't bricked as such, it's caught in a boot-cycle. This is actually worse than a soft brick and in some ways is comparable to a "hard" brick. It's comparable to a hard brick because when you're in a boot cycle you usually can't get into download mode. Presumably the only option is to use a custom JIG, as you've mentioned.

There is no official terminology but a soft brick is generally when your phone displays the "connect phone to pc" screen. A hard brick is a bit more difficult to define, but I'd say it's fairly reasonable to assume that this is when your phone won't turn on or charge. A brick (full brick?) is when your device is absolutely not recoverable by any means.

Reactions: nostratispeak

stavs

Nov 5, 2010
@stavs Thanks.

Thanks.

EDIT: I followed the instructions from this thread and I have the phone in what I believe, is the Download mode: Droid shoving dirt within a filled yellow triangle, with a message "Downloading" "Do not turn off Target". My device is connected to my laptop. I don't see anything popping up on the screen. I also have Heimdall frontend up and running in Ubuntu.

I've downloaded a few ROMs, including Cognition and some samsung stock firmware. There are conflicting information in different pages. Am not sure what to do next. Help?

thats great news than, now with the one of the downloaded roms you have saved on your computer, take the data (ie Factoryfs.rfs,cache.rfs, modem.bin and Zimage) and link it appropriately in the program. Then just click the start button and it will automatically install the rom within minutes. You shouldnt see anything pop up, i dont remember seeing anything, but during the installation there should be a download bar on your phone to indicate data is being transfered and downloaded to your phone. After your phone should reboot and be back to normal.

Last edited:

trini_vibezzz

Nov 25, 2010
Toronto
all good to go now,

used this rogers stock rom

and flashed it without any problems. Glad to have a working phone again even though i lost everything

Does this remove the AT&T boot logo and replace with the Rogers logo as well? Stavs, I'm assuming you went from the Rogers ROM, back to the Rogers ROM, so this probably not apply to you, but have any of you guys been able to get rid of the AT&T logo from a previous flash, and restore the Rogers logo using this method, and ROM?

jewgalo

Nov 22, 2010
all good to go now,

used this rogers stock rom
megaup*****com/?d=BD2EF4WF

and flashed it without any problems. Glad to have a working phone again even though i lost everything

used the same rom flashed it with odin but didnt load the pit file... made sure re-partitioned was UNchecked and off i went... restored my phone to 2.1 and was finally able to get kies to recognize my phone and upgrade it after 5 days in hell trying various things, flashing different "stock" ROMs... i finally did it tho... running froyo as we speak...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't think you can easily return to Rogers stock rom using odin. Most people end up having AT&T logo on boot. However, since you're soft bricked anyways, why don't you try using Heimdall, new Open-Source Flashing Software and this dump generated from stock Rogers phone.

I haven't seen any reports of tests on Captivate yet, but it seems to work well on other Galaxies. Check Heimdall thread for more info, and if it works well for you, please report to this thread. Good luck!
    @stavs Thanks.

Thanks.

@stavs Thanks.

Thanks.
    Your device isn't bricked as such, it's caught in a boot-cycle. This is actually worse than a soft brick and in some ways is comparable to a "hard" brick. It's comparable to a hard brick because when you're in a boot cycle you usually can't get into download mode. Presumably the only option is to use a custom JIG, as you've mentioned.

There is no official terminology but a soft brick is generally when your phone displays the "connect phone to pc" screen. A hard brick is a bit more difficult to define, but I'd say it's fairly reasonable to assume that this is when your phone won't turn on or charge. A brick (full brick?) is when your device is absolutely not recoverable by any means.