[APP] SayMyName Dessert

Search This thread

TomTasche

Oct 8, 2009
Vienna
tomtasche.at
Plugin & Tasker

Hi
Your nice app works as standalone with SVOX. Great :)

But I can't get the plugin it to work with Tasker. If I write something in the Body field it will say it but I can't fetch anything from any variable in Tasker, fe. %SMSRB (SMS Read Body)

How do I pass the SMS textbody of incoming SMS, to be read by the plugin?
Is it the plugin or Tasker ?

Any hint is great, thanks

TomTasche

Oct 8, 2009
Vienna
tomtasche.at
Hi
Your nice app works as standalone with SVOX. Great :)

But I can't get the plugin it to work with Tasker. If I write something in the Body field it will say it but I can't fetch anything from any variable in Tasker, fe. %SMSRB (SMS Read Body)

How do I pass the SMS textbody of incoming SMS, to be read by the plugin?
Is it the plugin or Tasker ?

Any hint is great, thanks

Hello,

I don't support that at the moment. You're only able to toggle some of SayMyName's settings using Locale / Tasker...

I fear it's not worth the work implementing it, since I don't even use Locale or Tasker.

Sorry
Tom

Thanks for that Info. Now I know it's not me failing :p

The inbuilt "Say" in tasker is not able to use SVOX with the nice swedish girl speaking to me :eek:. I have o use the default pico for Android 2.1 and there are no swedish engine available as far as I know.

I have a "SOS task" sending SMS and telling me the phones location via GPS. I want to do that silently without the pone speaking and telling the possibel thief he got a message. Thats why I tried the pluging.

Can you tell me wich settings work to toggle in the plugin at the moment?

Cheers // Radioman62

TomTasche

Oct 8, 2009
Vienna
tomtasche.at
Thanks for that Info. Now I know it's not me failing :p

The inbuilt "Say" in tasker is not able to use SVOX with the nice swedish girl speaking to me :eek:. I have o use the default pico for Android 2.1 and there are no swedish engine available as far as I know.

I have a "SOS task" sending SMS and telling me the phones location via GPS. I want to do that silently without the pone speaking and telling the possibel thief he got a message. Thats why I tried the pluging.

Can you tell me wich settings work to toggle in the plugin at the moment?

Cheers // Radioman62

I think that's not possible at the moment, sorry.

However, you could try to use "Contact Chooser" in Advanced Settings - Contact Settings. Maybe that's what you're looking for?

Tom

dacbeth

Dec 9, 2010
Bethlehem PA
Tom, On my Evo the latest versions the one on the previous page and the one on the market, do not speak the name then ring the ringer. They only speak the name while the ringer is ringing no matter what choice is made.

TomTasche

Oct 8, 2009
Vienna
tomtasche.at
Tom, On my Evo the latest versions the one on the previous page and the one on the market, do not speak the name then ring the ringer. They only speak the name while the ringer is ringing no matter what choice is made.

Hello,

This feature seems to cause a lot of problems at the moment. However, we're working on updates that should fix it. :)

Stay tuned
Tom

Reactions: dacbeth

dacbeth

Dec 9, 2010
Bethlehem PA
Hello,

This feature seems to cause a lot of problems at the moment. However, we're working on updates that should fix it. :)

Stay tuned
Tom

I found that if you first silence the default ringtone in system settings, then pick a ringtone in Say My Name, then it will read the name first then allow the ringer to ring after saying the name for the number of times chosen.

Exigus

Dec 23, 2010
Post redundant, realized after I posted hah!
Will probably do what I meant to help with when I can use my brain again.

Looks like a nice app btw!

Last edited:

dacbeth

Dec 9, 2010
Bethlehem PA
The app has gone haywire, won't or will work from minute to minute and I cannot find out why it stops or starts. Have removed and reloaded without it beginning to work and have done the same thing and it does work?? But then stops working, that is no voice or ring, just vibrate. Then it will not allow a ringer to be set, remains on silent and no voice.

IpDo

Mar 6, 2010
Thanks for this great app!
I have 2 requests.
1. I couldn't get the ringer to start simultaneously with the caller id - tried all the options in the advance menu and nothing.. anyway to fix that?
2. all my contacts names are in Hebrew so i use the option to translate the name to english using google translate - which works very good but that too long. for about 5 seconds I only get the phone vibrating without any sound.
maybe you can add an option to cache the translated names - or even better, add an option to manualy set the english name for the app to speak for each contact.

thanks again.

btw,
I see that the app was translated to Hebrew - but under "he".
under android (or any google product) Hebrew srting is "iw" so the values folder will be "values-iw".

Last edited:

dacbeth

Dec 9, 2010
Bethlehem PA
I downloaded again to see how it acted this time. Right now it is working except it still will not allow me to pick a ringer through your settings, both system and your ringer settings are silent. But when it finishes speaking a name, it plays the old phone ringer which was the default ringer when I installed the program this time. When I set the system ringer to something, the name is announced during the ringer regardless of the setting. But when the system ringer is set to silent, the name is announced then the old ringer rings even though the Say My Name ringer is also silent.

sebi112

Mar 9, 2005
1 Problem and 1 Wish:

Problem is that gmail reading sender is not working on my htc legend. sometimes it is working for a mail and on the next it does not work.

Wish: When i sort my contacts to display first the lastname an second the firstname for better finding in contacts app saymyname reads it also this way lastname,firstname.
An option in saymyname to read it firstname,lastname wouldt be great

TomTasche

Oct 8, 2009
Vienna
tomtasche.at
Hello, :D

I downloaded again to see how it acted this time. Right now it is working except it still will not allow me to pick a ringer through your settings, both system and your ringer settings are silent. But when it finishes speaking a name, it plays the old phone ringer which was the default ringer when I installed the program this time. When I set the system ringer to something, the name is announced during the ringer regardless of the setting. But when the system ringer is set to silent, the name is announced then the old ringer rings even though the Say My Name ringer is also silent.
Ringtone feature is too buggy at the moment, but I already fixed it in upcoming versions. :) Mail me if you want to get early access and test it.

1 Problem and 1 Wish:

Problem is that gmail reading sender is not working on my htc legend. sometimes it is working for a mail and on the next it does not work.

Wish: When i sort my contacts to display first the lastname an second the firstname for better finding in contacts app saymyname reads it also this way lastname,firstname.
An option in saymyname to read it firstname,lastname wouldt be great
Will do so! :)

Gmail feature is buggy too... I'll try to improve it.

Thanks for this great app!
I have 2 requests.
1. I couldn't get the ringer to start simultaneously with the caller id - tried all the options in the advance menu and nothing.. anyway to fix that?
2. all my contacts names are in Hebrew so i use the option to translate the name to english using google translate - which works very good but that too long. for about 5 seconds I only get the phone vibrating without any sound.
maybe you can add an option to cache the translated names - or even better, add an option to manualy set the english name for the app to speak for each contact.

thanks again.

btw,
I see that the app was translated to Hebrew - but under "he".
under android (or any google product) Hebrew srting is "iw" so the values folder will be "values-iw".
Oops! Thanks for the tip!

Synchronized Ringtone + Speech is coming with future updates!

Caching translations is a good, but difficult idea. We'll see...
However, you could use "Nickname" field to set a English name for your contacts... ;)

Good luck everyone
Tom

PS: Sorry for the late answer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

At the moment I'm working on a new version of SayMyName Dessert. It's my first app (but it's already on the Android Market for more than a year :D) and I just can't stop developing it. Mostly, I blame my users for that. ;) You send me feature-requests, bug-reports, good feedback, bad feedback... even donations! :)

Currently there are two versions of SayMyName available at the Android Market. One for Cupcakes, and one for Donuts and beyond.
    With the upcoming version of SayMyName, I want to merge those versions, fix old, very annoying bugs and add some often requested features.

Why I'm telling you that? Because I need even more feedback, more testers, more contributers :)D) and some guys who translate my app into various languages.

So, if you want to help me, please download the attached .apk and give me some feedback / requests / whatever comes to your mind. Just leave a reply here at xda or send me a mail. (tomtasche AT gmail)

Thank you very much :)
    Tom

P.S.: If you want to try the old, buggy version of SayMyName, feel free to search the Android Market for "SayMyName Dessert".

edit:
    I forgot to mention what this app is for. ;)

Official market-description:
    "Want to know who's calling you without looking at your phone? SayMyName reads out loud the name saved in your adressbook and tells you who's calling.

- reads SMS, GMail and K9-Mail too
    - very customizable
    - discreet mode
    - Locale Plug-in
    - open-source
    - supports non-latin languages too

See website for changelog, etc."

edit:
    Changelog:
    - reads nicknames!
    - fixes, fixes, fixes.
    - much more
    - mute gestures
    - read number-/mail-type (custom labels supported too!)
    - auto translate messages (enable "translate")
    - improved widget
    - fixes
    - pause music during speech on phones with Android 2.2
    - sk, cs and de translations by David K. (thanks! :))
    - supports people who can't find TTS Extended in Android Market / don't have access to Android Market

Planned features in near future:
    - more translations (any volunteers?)
    - bluetooth (maybe I found somebody who can help me! :))

edit:
    If you want to help translate, download this file and translate the text between the tags:
    Code:
    <string name="...">TRANSLATE THIS</string>
    Return the translated file to me afterwards.

Thank you very much
    Tom

PS: Please let me know if you want me to mention your name / mail-address / website.
    A long time ago since you've heard me. BUT: i made the translation. You can find it here.
    I am unable to get any thing over Bluetooth headset either using the latest version posted on previous page

Hello,

Unfortunately we don't support Bluetooth at the moment, sorry. However, we're working on updates which should improve Bluetooth-support a little bit.

Tom

Hello,

Stay tuned
    Tom
    Hi guys!
    I'm trying the app on my LG Optimus One but the private mode (only when headphone is plugged in) doesn't work. :(
    Any idea?

Another problem I have is that while the phone's ringing if I press the volume button in order to silence the phone, Saymyname still say the caller name... it will be nice that when I silence the phone the app will silence too. Is it possible?

Many thanks and keep up the great work!
    Marco
    Hello,

Unfortunately discreet mode is currently broken, sorry. Try an older version (e.g. this one).

And enable "Show Mutescreen" in settings to fix your second problem. ;)

Tom