[Q] Adb is not recognized as an intern or extern command

Search This thread

Vincethedevil

Dec 17, 2010
Montreal
Hi, so i'm very new to Android and while attempting to do the gfree permaroot for my desire Z, i came across a problem. When I type the commands, it says that adb is not and intern or extern command. I have adb file in platform-tools (400ko). When i open it, it make a cmd screen for about 2 seconds then shuts down. Can someone help me with this problem

I just installed HTC sync and my computer cannot find any device attached. It says: the htc vision htc port does not repons.
Thanks

Vince

Last edited:

dietotherhythm

Sep 29, 2009
Chicago
are you doing CD C:/location of adb/adb?

You must direct your command line to the directory of adb.
also run cmd as administrator if you're on vista or win7.

If you're not a command line pro I suggest you just rename your folder to whatever you want in C:/folderhere
For example heres the folder renamed to "android"
then just do CD C:/android
Then type "adb" and hit enter

2jdttf.jpg

and boom! you're in adb!

Hope this helps :D

I'm no adb pro but I'm ok at cmd. Maybe I should make a video or something on the basics to getting adb running if there isn't one already?

Last edited:

Vincethedevil

Dec 17, 2010
Montreal
Thanks for the quick reply! It helped me figure out that you need to open adb before using the adb command but the same error occurs (is not an intern/extern command) when i try it :(

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
Thanks for the quick reply! It helped me figure out that you need to open adb before using the adb command but the same error occurs (is not an intern/extern command) when i try it :(

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, I wonder if you're doing something wrong. Have you followed this guide ? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=865685

If you have added the correct folders to your path, as explained in the guide, it should find adb ok.

If it's finding adb ok, then if you run "adb devices", is that not showing your phone ? Are you using the original HTC cable to connect to your phone ? Third-party ones sometimes will not work.

Vincethedevil

Dec 17, 2010
Montreal
Yeah i'm using the original Htc cable. I have downloaded Htc Sync and it appears as "my htc" in device manager. Although, Htc sync doesn't recognize any plugged in phone.

For adb, i go in cmd, change the path with cd to the path where is the adb.exe, then type adb. A series of text follow. Then, i switch to the folder where is gfree (with cd) and type the first line for temp root. That when it says that adb is not recognized as an intern or extern command

ianmcquinn

Nov 25, 2007
Since adb.exe is not located in your gfree directory, it's not a recognized command. You either need to run the commands directly from your platform tools directory (and use the full directory paths for the gfree commands) or place the path for adb in your environment variables so that adb can be called from any directory (step four in the ADB for noobies linked earlier). This is the easier method.

keinengel

Dec 7, 2009
Adding adb to your path

Hey there,

Here's a quick guide to fix your problem (basically, you don't have adb added to your path). Btw, this guide was made on Windows 7, but the principle should be the same for Vista and XP (though the steps are different).

Step 1: Right click "Computer" or "My Computer"
step1.png

Step 2: On the left side find "Advanced system settings" and click it.
step2.png

Step 3: On the Advanced tab, click "Environment variables"
step3.png

Step 4: In the bottom part of the window, scroll until you find the row that starts with "Path" and click "Edit"
step4.png

Step 5: At the end of the existing line, add a semicolon ( ; ) and the path to your android toolkit. If the path contains spaces, don't forget to enclose it in quote marks ( "C:\path to adb\tools\" )
step5.png

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
For adb, i go in cmd, change the path with cd to the path where is the adb.exe, then type adb. A series of text follow. Then, i switch to the folder where is gfree (with cd) and type the first line for temp root. That when it says that adb is not recognized as an intern or extern command

You haven't set the Path up so that it can find adb, as has been said, and that's all covered in the guide that I previously linked to. But the previous poster has provided you with an excellent step-by-step solution.

Reactions: Vincethedevil

Vincethedevil

Dec 17, 2010
Montreal
Thanks alot, my adb problem is now solved! I just have one more question, when i plug my phone, htc sync cannot recognize it. Although, when i write adb devices in cmd, my phone appear. Am I still gonna be able to permaroot or should i mess with the drivers.

Thx
Vince

keinengel

Dec 7, 2009
It's not a driver problem, it's an HTC Sync problem. Your phone has to be in Sync mode and you have to wait a few minutes (mine takes up to 20 mins) for HTC Sync to recognize it.

dietotherhythm

Sep 29, 2009
Chicago
sounds like you'll be able to root just fine if it recognizes and responds to adb.

Not sure about htc sync, I don't even know what that is...lol

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Need to set up adb, there are tons of guides on xda and the web to do this properly, follow one of them and then try your whatever you're doing again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

MICKY197

Feb 11, 2013
Need to set up adb, there are tons of guides on xda and the web to do this properly, follow one of them and then try your whatever you're doing again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

thanx for reply/..

not able to to set up adb.. please help if you can

should i uninstall existing drivers and again install it

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
You may need to reinstall drivers but first make sure you have the right ones as well as adb.exe download from the sdk or whereever you get it
See the third post. In this thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=31899577
If you're still having issues let me know and ill help ya

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    are you doing CD C:/location of adb/adb?

You must direct your command line to the directory of adb.
    also run cmd as administrator if you're on vista or win7.

If you're not a command line pro I suggest you just rename your folder to whatever you want in C:/folderhere
    For example heres the folder renamed to "android"
    then just do CD C:/android
    Then type "adb" and hit enter

2jdttf.jpg

and boom! you're in adb!

Hope this helps :D

I'm no adb pro but I'm ok at cmd. Maybe I should make a video or something on the basics to getting adb running if there isn't one already?
    Adding adb to your path

Hey there,

Here's a quick guide to fix your problem (basically, you don't have adb added to your path). Btw, this guide was made on Windows 7, but the principle should be the same for Vista and XP (though the steps are different).

Step 1: Right click "Computer" or "My Computer"
    step1.png

Step 2: On the left side find "Advanced system settings" and click it.
    step2.png

Step 3: On the Advanced tab, click "Environment variables"
    step3.png

Step 4: In the bottom part of the window, scroll until you find the row that starts with "Path" and click "Edit"
    step4.png

Step 5: At the end of the existing line, add a semicolon ( ; ) and the path to your android toolkit. If the path contains spaces, don't forget to enclose it in quote marks ( "C:\path to adb\tools\" )
    step5.png

You haven't set the Path up so that it can find adb, as has been said, and that's all covered in the guide that I previously linked to. But the previous poster has provided you with an excellent step-by-step solution.