Search This thread

drcz_92

Jul 19, 2010
Falls Church
Alright fellas I need to fix my confusion... Update my radios, wimax (even though theres not wimax, but comes in the combo), PRI and NV or not? I see some people have updated and some have not... Everything seems to be running fine without updating... And if I do I just want to confirm, back to sense, flash the update, restore CM nand?

Thanks!

Ok.. Maybe this will help u a lil...when I first got me evo I start testing rooms and all that.. Everytime when I flashed a sense rom I always flashed the radio and wimax .. Till one day When my wimax started to turn on and off. I thought it would get fixed if I did the RUU .. But it didn't work.. I got back to stock rom without root and nothing work.. People say that when u flash radio and wixmax it mess up something.. And that happened to me.. Mmm. I don't thing it's necessary to flash wimax and radio if ur using cm..

Lucky for me I told sprint that the phone was defectuos from the beginning and the changed it without having to call the insurance .. Hopenthis helped u a lil...

Arasin

Nov 22, 2010
Atlantic Beach, NC
I'm getting random screen tearing on the titlebar and in text boxes on screen. Any ideas what this may be? Sorry if i missed it in the thousands of replies in this thread.

Phone specs for those that want to know:

Evo HW 0004
Hboot 2.10
Rom: CM 6.1.1 stable
Kernel: #132 Just flashed this to see if there would be any improvements other than battery life.

I've tried the stock CM Kernel, Netarchy's 4.1.9.1 cfs 950 universal and 4.1.9.1 cfs havs universal with the same problem.

Any ideas what kernel I should be running to fix this or is it something simple I missed?

xoreactionzox

Nov 1, 2010
I am on 2.02 hboot he 0004 I used cyan on my old evo and thought it would break the cam on the new one but tried today and works like a charm

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

wrapkgb

Aug 19, 2010
Home
So now I'm having some issues.. I flashed back to sense in order to do some system updates. I did not end up updating my radios or anything. But now when I restored my CM nand, I no longer get voicemails. I have tried clearing data, no luck. Uninstalled and reinstalled sprint VVM, no luck. Any suggestions? Everything else seems to be working just fine including SMS and MMS.

Maximiano

Jun 17, 2010
San Francisco
So now I'm having some issues.. I flashed back to sense in order to do some system updates. I did not end up updating my radios or anything. But now when I restored my CM nand, I no longer get voicemails. I have tried clearing data, no luck. Uninstalled and reinstalled sprint VVM, no luck. Any suggestions? Everything else seems to be working just fine including SMS and MMS.

Did you flash the sprintvvm.zip file?

sonwon

Apr 4, 2008
I've been following this thread now for a month. It would be helpful if someone could sum up the pros and cons to this ROM. I know 4G and HDMI do not work but what else can't I do with this ROM that works on sense? Will I have 60 fps? Will I be able to overclock? Etc..?

wrapkgb

Aug 19, 2010
Home
Did you flash the sprintvvm.zip file?
It was the original sprint vvm apk that I have been using for months. So to answer your question no I did not flash a vvm apk, just installed it through astro. Weird that this wasn't happening before flashing a sense rom. I have cleared cache and dalvik from recovery, still won't pull my new messages.

jamsterzak

Dec 9, 2009
Detroit
Does anyone remember when u could access ur notification drawer from the lockscreen? I believe @koush had it way back in my dream days. I want to implement it ..any help would rule

-shift-

Jun 29, 2010
Does anyone remember when u could access ur notification drawer from the lockscreen? I believe @koush had it way back in my dream days. I want to implement it ..any help would rule

i don't think you can. i haven't seen any setting that allows access to the notification drawer directly from the lockscreen.

hecklbrg

Jun 28, 2010
NOVA
I've been following this thread now for a month. It would be helpful if someone could sum up the pros and cons to this ROM. I know 4G and HDMI do not work but what else can't I do with this ROM that works on sense? Will I have 60 fps? Will I be able to overclock? Etc..?

These are all my own opinions and personal preferences. I have had an EVO since launch day, and rooted shortly after and have tried a number of ROMs by all the different developers. I am really appreciative that people take the time to contribute and what I say isn't intended to downplay or speak ill of any other developer efforts.

Pros:

In my opinion, CM is the most thoroughly developed ROM. Unmatched smoothness and speed.

Battery life. I don't use my phone with super intensity -- I'm a lawyer...my day doesn't allow me the ability to play with my personal phoen. On a normal charge, it is running usually around 15-20% of the time. Screen on time is less than that. I keep it on Wifi most of the time as well. However, I regularly get 36+ hours of battery life. The battery life on this with the stock CM kernel is far beyond what I got on any Sense based rom. I have Hardware 002...you results may very because every phone is different.

CM, without any sense/motoblur skin stays snappy forever. I felt like with my sense ROMs, after a few weeks they would start to slow down. Usually a new version would be out, and I'd just re-flash the new one and it'd be great again, only to fuddle itself to death in bloat after another 3 weeks. I used CM6.0 Stable until 6.1 came out (like 2 months), never saw a single drop in performance over the time.

Comes with the included AOSP android tether and usb tether, which work out of the box.

Because it lacks any skin such as Sense, it is entirely customizable. This results in a 'Con' too, which I will discuss, but I've come to love the fact that I have this customizability.

ADW Launcher is great and has far far far more customization options than the Sense launcher. Lots of people prefer launcher pro, which is also fantastic. I use ADW because it is built into CM and LP doesn't offer me enough that I choose to use it over ADW.

Cons:

Because it doesn't have a skin like sense, you will probably be looking for some widget/app replacements. Things like Android Calendar and Gtasks are great for replacements for the sense counterparts, but for 4G widgets, sense clocks, etc. you may find yourself in a position where you'd have to buy apps to adequately replace what you got for free with sense. Other things like Sprint Voicemail, etc. do not work out of the box on CM. There are superior substitutes to these things (Google Voice for my example), but if you want the familiar, you'll have to add them to CM.

HDMI and 4G don't work at this moment. I feel like there should be an asterisk here. HDMI has the code pretty much complete -- it just needs to be polished a little. 4G is currently working for testers. However, like HDMI, there are a few things that need still need to be ironed out. CM never gives ETAs, but I think it is safe to say that both of these features will be added without too much of a further delay. I personally have never tried to use HDMI. And 4G is available where I work in DC, but I use Wifi instead...which I would do anyways, so it hasn't turned out to be a big deal at all.

I know a lot of people prefer the AOSP contacts & phone app, but I think that Sense has AOSP beat in this area. Although I will never switch from CM, the AOSP dialer leaves some to be desired. Mainly because you can't start to type a number and then see which of your contacts you could be trying to call. There is an App called Dialer one that can be used to replace this. I'm sure that Google will eventually revamp this and make it on par with Sense.

Today I flashed the new radio, wimax, NV, & PRI just fine...flashed a sense rom, updated my profile and prl, then flashed 6.1.1 -- its working fantastic!

Edit: Yes, you have 60fps...well 54 really..the Evo can't hit 60. And yes, you can overclock.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod is a free, community built distribution of Android 2.2 (Froyo) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

THIS IS NOT HTC SENSE AND NEVER WILL BE. DO NOT ASK ABOUT IT IN THIS THREAD. THANK YOU.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

This is an AOSP-based build with extra contributions from many people which you can use without any type of Google applications. I found a link from some other project that can be used to restore the Google parts, which can be found below or elsewhere in the thread. I've still included the various hardware-specific code, which seems to be slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Visit the CHANGELOG for a full list of changes and features!

All source code is available at the CyanogenMod Github!

If you'd like to to contribute to CyanogenMod, checkout our Gerrit instance.

INSTRUCTIONS:
    - First time flashing CM 6 to your Evo (or coming from another ROM)?
    1. Unlock/root your device and install Clockwork Recovery via ROM Manager or Amon_RA's recovery image (You MUST be NAND unlocked!)
    2. Do a Nandroid backup!
    3. Update your radio if necessary
    4. WIPE
    5. Install the ROM
    5. Optionally install the Google Addon

- Upgrading from earlier CM6?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    2. Install the ROM (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

HOW TO REPORT BUGS OR PROBLEMS?
    - Was it a hard reboot? Get me the file "/proc/last_kmsg".
    - Was it a soft reboot or a "boot loop"? Run "adb logcat" and get me the full output.
    - Pastebin links preferred
    - Please use the issue tracker whenever possible!

Please visit the CyanogenMod Wiki for step-by-step installation walkthroughs and tons of other useful information.

The preferred method of installation is via ROM Manager, or you can head over to the CM Forums for manual downloads.

Known Issues:
    * No 4G or HDMI yet.

Thank you to EVERYONE involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging and documenting! Enjoy!
    Anyone know if they moved the nightlies to another host? TeamDouche was last updated on the 17th. Or have they just not released any since then?

There haven't really been any updates since we've been working on CM7. We'll be starting the nightly builds for the new version soon :)
    I like the "almost inspiring" part. Like the world may initially be enough to inspire, but that's temporary.

the "almost" bit is due to my recent experiences with certain people i've come across in the android world. it's a slight bias. take that out of the equation and my trust in humanity goes up quite a bit.

Hmm ... two stalwarts questioning faith in mankind has inspired me to form a new years resolution, and perhaps others will join me in this voyage.

No one appreciates flaming, beration, derision, or otherwise malicious acts cast upon them when they display ignorance in forum protocol. While their action is not excusable persay, when met with repugnance it only festers into defensive anger, and when the noob becomes the veteran, they carry this faulty tradition to the next noob, creating a vicious cycle of ambivalent malevolence. I myself am guilty of propogating this cycle, but no longer.

Henceforth, I vow to be nothing but positive and helpful when responding to questions. Failure in following established protocols (such as reading back and searching) will of course be pointed out, but rather than villify I will educate, rather than strike down I will raise up. No longer shall I further five-page flameathons dedicated to chest-beating and grunting. No longer shall I respond with spite and disregard to a simple question that could more easily be answered with a simple answer. I ask that others join me on this quest to improve this and other threads, to make XDA the community of help and support it was founded to be, and to assist in recruiting future members that can lead this community further into the future.

XDA brothers and sisters, join me.
    6.1.2 is up with the new hardware support :cool:
    You know, as much as everyone likes to flame this person, I can actually say that I had a similar situation (except for the fact that I never blamed CyanogenMod ). My old Evo used to have problems with random rebooting that seemed related to overheating. I recognized that everything ran more smoothly on CM, but unfortunately it was like turbocharging a ****ty car. Despite wiping my phone every way possible, it would crash and reboot like nothing else.

Now I turned in my old phone for this new one and can sing the praises of Cyanogen! I rooted my phone, installed Cyanogen once and haven't needed to reboot since.

That is actually the exact reason for the flaming ... you didn't lash out, you troubleshooted. In your case it was the phone itself, and as you say everything is running smoothly now. On that note ... /begin soapbox

In America today, there is a rampant epidemic, and that is the lack of self-awareness and the inability to doubt oneself. In times past, the ideas of honor and integrity meant that when faced with a difficulty you work as best you can to overcome it, and if you made a mistake along the way, you accept it and own up to it. Now, we don't even get to the point we recognize possible mistakes we made ... all that occurs is blame. Something is not working on my phone, in my car, in my life ... it must be someone or something ELSE's fault. There is no self-awareness anymore, so there is no need to work to resolve your own problems (as complaining about it is much easier). This comment is a microcosm, a personification of that lack of honor, that lack of integrity, that plagues the masses. That is why CM is so vigorously defended by its users, and why the flaming commences, because it too is a microcosm ... but for the restoration of that integrity, the willingness to put in the hard work necessary to reach the goal you seek instead of complain when others don't reach it for you. I personally fight for these ideals, these principles, and while this rom is "just another rom" to others ... to me, it is a very small realization of what I believe to be important, a small truth of humanity that is rarely recognized in the modern world.

/end soapbox