MX Player and ChromeCast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
Well, Miracast accomplishes a similar result, but as it's live transcoding of your entire screen, it would only have decent video playback on higher-end devices. That and Miracast means you can't do a 2nd task on the phone when the video plays.

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
From my understanding of Chromecast support right now, Google is slowly rolling out support for different formats and file containers. Not sure how long this will take. MX Player transcoding should mean that anything would be playable, assuming your device can handle live transcoding.

Reactions: Krisshp

Krisshp

Dec 29, 2012
From my understanding of Chromecast support right now, Google is slowly rolling out support for different formats and file containers. Not sure how long this will take. MX Player transcoding should mean that anything would be playable, assuming your device can handle live transcoding.

Google is slowly rolling out support for different formats and file containers

Where is the proof or where did you find that

ALSo. I wanted to ask.

Could you please not do one step at a time?

E.g add Chromecast support but for NORMAL. E.g. Basic support. For normal formats which work. Like avia media player.

Thank you

bagpack

Apr 3, 2011
Nicaragua
Hopefully we will see this happening any time soon.

Thank you in advance, because we all know MX is the best out there.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vMAC

Oct 21, 2007
Ok, so what exactly does this mean? Is the developer working on Chromecast support? Any ETA for when it should be expected?

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
Yes he is working on it; no an ETA has not yet been indicated. Thing is, the developer wants ALL videos to work on Chromcast; this means MX Player must do live transcode on any format that Chromecast doesn't support.

pwvandeursen

Aug 16, 2007
Yes he is working on it; no an ETA has not yet been indicated. Thing is, the developer wants ALL videos to work on Chromcast; this means MX Player must do live transcode on any format that Chromecast doesn't support.

Any update to the progress or challenges? eagerly awaiting any news on this, as it would be super to unlock these features through MX player and ChromeCast!

Krisshp

Dec 29, 2012

CAL7

Jun 1, 2010
Is it possible for a modern quad-core ARM phone/tablet to transcode video formats on the fly? I love MX because it literally plays anything I throw at it, but I don't know if this is the same as transcoding these different formats for casting.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
@Krisshp Don't know; it was the developer's decision.
@CAL7 well, for 10-bit I would assume it can't handle it, considering only the more recent phones were able to decode it. For 8-bit, it might be possible if the bitrate isn't too high.

Krisshp

Dec 29, 2012
@Krisshp Don't know; it was the developer's decision.
@CAL7 well, for 10-bit I would assume it can't handle it, considering only the more recent phones were able to decode it. For 8-bit, it might be possible if the bitrate isn't too high.

Cant you give this suggestion (which many ACTUALLY want) to the developer? and take it 1 step at a time?...

Thanks

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
there are many different options out there to use at the moment if you want to stream to chromecast. I agree with the developer having his standards of exactly what he wants his app to be able to do before releasing it... Kudos to him! :good:

JerryBels

Feb 3, 2014
I agree with you guys, no need to rush, it must come out when ready... But it would be very nice to be updated about the progress, just to know if we can expect it this month or in december 2015 :)

Reactions: CAL7

JerryBels

Feb 3, 2014
I agree with you guys, no need to rush, it must come out when ready... But it would be very nice to be updated about the progress, just to know if we can expect it this month or in december 2015 :)

...... Or just leave us in the dark, alone, crying about our insecurities, struggling to overcome our fear of the unknown, but in the end doomed to the abysses of hell. That's cool too.

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
Glad to see that there is a possibility of seeing a Chromecast compatible MX Player in the future. Kudos to the devs for wanting to keep the standards up. If you need a beta tester count me in. I have helped with other apps in development. Do love MX Player the best I 've found. Just updated to pro to hopefully help with Chromecast development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The chromecast app is the best option until MX supports it natively, it broadcasts your screen on to the chromecast.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using XDA Free mobile app

All cast is best imo

why did u guys update showbox... lucky for me I saved the old updates, u can use v3.81 which I am using also v3.83 and v3.85 after that is where the problem is,

it is working for me, I stopped updating showbox... also have the first one from I used from DEC 2014...

here is a link to my dropbox I put the older files there if u want... just sharing... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8dgq7jckuclf966/AADuER3w32yfJoV4Cxbb6Lwra?dl=0

u can hit the thanks it this is a very useful help for the older copies...
    This is a continuation of the original thread on Google Groups.

Link to original thread: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mx-videoplayer/Xgb6KKj95vg/discussion
    Please add min formats support for Chromecast

Guys, isn't it time you had something for Chromecast? Even if it was just a few formats. I love the MX player, but I'm forced to use other players due to lack of chromecast support.
    there are many different options out there to use at the moment if you want to stream to chromecast. I agree with the developer having his standards of exactly what he wants his app to be able to do before releasing it... Kudos to him! :good:
    Wow, thanks for the update! This is good news. In terms of performance, does video playback lag if you have screen cast enabled? Would you mind also trying how 10-bit playback performance works with screen casting running? I won't be home to try this for the next few days.

===
    @CAL7 not to sound cynical, but my guess is that Google is playing favourites :p

I'll have some more time to play mess with the setup tonight I think. I haven't watched a full movie with it yet, but for what I tested it seemed fine through mxplayer- no lag for the short while I watched ( about 10 mins worth plus some shuttling forward and backward).
    To be honest, all I think I know of 10bit is that it's a higher quality or uncompressed video..I can google it myself. Just a data point that you're asking a dumb monkey when it comes to that particular question...at least until I check the "internets" :p
    but if it helps, the video I tested was encoded at 1920x 1080 4:2:0

As a side note - and not using mxplayer for this portion of a test but I've used it to mirror video playing from firefox (via a live stream) which played as it would normally just fine. I know that may not offer much in answering your question, but I mention because I was actually surprised that I had no "beta" issues that I had anticipated. And that was for the entire stream (not my reaction of surprise, but the lack of beta issues).
    That said, I'm figuring I'll have the same success with a longer mxplayer test.

At any rate, I'll give a longer test tonight. I did just see there are some noted sample vids in one of the other mx threads for 10bit (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54146055&postcount=25) and I'll try one of those. I take it I need check the box for the h/w+ setting 10bit as well.

I'll give a heads up after.