Search This thread

Stick_man09

Jun 1, 2010
Hi All, Great thread btw thanks to AZ_Biker. I'd like to refresh the dialogue in here to see if there have been any advancements or new tips and tricks other than the original ones proposed. It seems like some of the best battery life came from those running eclipse. I personally love Alliance ROM and am curious about what others are doing to maximize battery life with that particular ROM. I am a very heavy user and I usually have to charge mid day and then again at night. I usually average about 4 hrs of SOT per charge but I use greenify, gsam battery monitor, DS battery saver with exposed module activated (Slumberer profile). I am on the NC2 kernel and I have heard elsewhere that switching to NC4 might increase battery life. In the past I have also tried to use apps like Juice Defender and Tasker with custom built profiles to turn data/network on and off at specific times or under certain contexts. I have had pretty limited success with those attempts. Best I ever had was about 2 days of battery life but only 5 hours of SOT in that time.

I do have some specific questions though and any info or insights would be very helpful:

1. I see many early references to Smart Network which was in some versions of Baja ROM but in Alliance I don't think that option exists anymore. (unless I haven't been able to find it amid all the other awesomeness). There is a "Network Restriction" mode and I'm wondering if these are the same or two totally different things.

2. I am curious if there are apps out there that compete to better your battery and in the process end up consuming more than they save. What I am asking specifically, are there apps that don't play well with Greenify for example? What is the right mix or recommended mix of battery saving apps? (or even exposed modules active or not). I also utilize the "Power Saving Mode" but not sure if it is doing anything other than dimming my screen a bit more despite the other things it says it does.

3. Does anyone have a real comprehensive list of the apps that can be frozen in the pure stock version of Alliance ROM that will not have an adverse effect. In my particular situation, I manually sync everything and I only want my phone to be able to receive calls, voicemail and texts when the screen is off. Anything else should only be activated if I am actively in that app. I don't use any social networking apps unless I can operate them from the standard mobile browser. To my knowlege I do not have anything I would consider a rouge app.

I try to use dark themes where possible and keep my screen brightness to about 1/8 the way all the time. I realize that I may not be able to get better than 6 hrs of SOT with heavy use but I'd be willing to try anything to keep me from having to charge more than once a day. I guess I kind of feel like I already do a lot to maximize battery life but am not getting the numbers that others are getting taking similar precautions. I wonder if I am missing something.

If anybody has any new tips or tricks especially using Alliance ROM, that would be really great. Thanks in advance for the support.

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member
Can you do this with every Android phone?

I think the majority of these steps can be done on any phone.

The only one off the top of my head that might require root is Greenify.

I've been rooted so long, I barely remember running stock, EVER :D

Good luck, let me know how it goes for you!

matsuyamakaze

Sep 12, 2014
Any results?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

Sorry didn't see this sooner but yes it helps it puts a new battery bin. File when I tested I had installed a new rom drained battery to 1 % then phone died I rebooted to suck out remaining juice. I stayed at 0% battery for awhile. So I rebooted it eventually died. I fully charged phone calibrated then unplugged. Eventually drained and when it hit zero it was zero no reboot.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

What it does is rims have different battery life's and the bin file keeps the memory of the rom. You don't want to use the old battery memory on a new rom would hinder performance of battery life imo so clean battery slate for new rom.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Yeah I have old pics of me getting amazing battery life what's not great is I didn't wright down what rom it was so idk on one I had it drain only 5 percent after an hour of hotspot. And had 7 hours of on screen time. Also the battery wouldn't drain when phone wasn't in use just be a straight line. Wish I could tell what rom it is from the photos. Maybe I can post them.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Found it was alliance build 1 I'll post the pics soon

matsuyamakaze

Sep 12, 2014

Attachments

• 1422419543236.jpg
    1422419543236.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 423
  • 1422419559938.jpg
    1422419559938.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 428
Reactions: Az Biker

matsuyamakaze

Sep 12, 2014
50 percent left

Sent from my SM-N910V using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1425405314586.jpg
    1425405314586.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 676

hoffeva

Mar 25, 2015
Just putting it out there... if you guys want to go to the extreme to extend battery life... you can buy a couple decent backup batteries and a battery charger for somewhere around $15 or less on amazon... When I get to about 5% battery I simply power down and swap to get a full 100% power again :D

Waterickson

Aug 31, 2006
Reactions: Az Biker

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    28 Hours Unplugged & 7:14 Screen On Time- Beans Build 6

27 Hours Unplugged & 9:52 Screen On Time- Baja 5.5 Beta​

*see bottom of post for screens of these results​

With the GN3's monster display, all the usable features, and the integration into our normal daily activities, I knew getting a FULL DAY unplugged would be the Holy Grail for this device. So I set out to find the settings, apps and tips that offered the most benefit of the device's features while still providing incredible battery life. These are based on a ROOTED, Verizon LTE, standard battery device (some settings are useful for Stock, non-Rooted devices as well)

ONCE a month I will run the battery down to <5% then charge it to 100% without interruption. The rest of the time I charge the battery when it reaches between 20-30%. With a ton of reading, THIS method seems to be the universal middle ground to keep your GN3 battery healthy, and get the most charges out of it.

Here's what I've found so far: feel free to add your input on what works for you!

Basic, Easy To Adjust Settings:

Display Brightness: 50-75% (Auto - Off)
    This usually more than enough for normal use, and with most Custom Roms having a Brightness Quick Toggle, or a Brightness slider in the Notification Bar, it is very easy and quick to change this setting to watch videos or in bright light situations.

Turn Off GPS In Location Settings
    Many of us use GPS regularly, but very few of us need it on 24/7. Believe it or not, GPS constantly correcting position, and constantly updating apps using location info takes a lot of power over the period of an entire day. Manually activating GPS is a quick toggle away when it is needed.

Turn Off SYNC In Google settings
    Syncing a bazillion apps every 30 min or few hours adds up at the end of a full day! When I check my email, FaceBook, Twitter, Weather, Stocks, (you get the picture) I just sync THAT app. If I am doing a mass information check, I'll SYNC ALL, but I do it manually.

Most feel the need for email, FaceBook, Twitter updates to be instantaneous and constant. IF constant connectivity is your goal, and it is certainly your choice, just realize it won't come with great battery life. It's about balance. I believe my settings find a good middle ground between ALWAYS ON and ZERO FUNCTION.

Screen Timeout In Display Setting - Set To 30 Seconds
    This one saves the power button AND battery, and it's self explanatory.

Power Saving Mode In Settings
    Power Saving Mode give you the option to limit CPU performance, use lower power consumption in the display, and turning off haptic feedback (vibrate on key touch, etc) ALL which require additional power, reducing battery life. If you need one of these to be changed, easy access and toggling makes the change quick and simple.

Turn Off Wi-Fi Settings
    For additional batt life, go to settings > wi-fi > soft menu key > advanced > uncheck Wi-Fi Notification & Always Allow Scanning. Some users report noticeable increase in batt life unchecking these settings.

Turn ON Smart Network (rom specific)
    Turn on Smart Network in settings>more settings to aid in extending battery life. Simply put, Smart Network temporarily turns off the network after a period of non-use, and when your device screen is turned on again, it turns the network ON. This DOES NOT affect INCOMING calls, texts, or any INCOMING communications. It does take a second or two for the network to reconnect, but it is negligible and barely noticeable.

FREE Apps To Help Increase Battery Life:

GREENIFY - Play Store
    This app basically gives you the ability to place apps that usually run in the background in a "Hibernate" state. When you click on the widget or the app to use it, it automatically "Wakes Up" and you have use of the app. After a period of inactivity that app places itself back into "Hibernation" until the next time you need it. Set up consists of downloading the app, highlighting the apps you do not want to constantly function in the background, and hitting the checkmark. UI for Gereenify is simple and very effective.

Better Battery Stats - Play Store
    BBS gives you an overall view of what your battery is doing, what is using it the most, what is causing wake-locks and anything else going on with the battery. UI is fairly simple, knowing what to look for is probably the hardest part of using BBS. If an unknown app is keeping your device form going into DEEP SLEEP, you'll see it here. If an app is running your CPUs ragged, you'll see which CPU frequencies are being used and for how long.

Perfect System Monitor - Play Store
    AS you can tell by the name, this app monitors most of your device's important system functions. The functions that can help you catch a battery hungry app are; CPU Frequency, Cpu Usage, Battery Voltage, Current Network Up and Download... If any app is acting a fool without you knowing it, or running in the background sending 150 other apps your Google stats sucking your battery life, this app will let you see in real time if something has your cpu pegged, your battery voltage pegged or your network active without you using it.

Extreme Battery Saving Measures:

Turn Off Notifications
    Turn off NOTIFICATIONS from apps that frequently send notifications (Twitter, FaceBook, Instagram, etc.) When you open these apps they usually update themselves upon opening. Again, if staying in CONSTANT contact with every app is your goal, forget trying to save battery life :p

Turn Off Vibration
    Self explanatory

Consolidate Widgets Into Folders
    Individual WIDGETS each use a little power to connect themselves to the app they represent. When placed in FOLDERS, their individual "footprint" is reduced significantly as is the power required t display each widget. Instead of having 45 individual widgets on your home screen, consolidate similar widgets into FOLDERS. Creating a folder varies by Rom You can try long press on home screen, create or click FOLDER, name the FOLDER (optional), drag similar widgets into the folder.

Below are from Beans Build 6
    y2yzutes.jpg

mu3u4yna.jpg

Below are from Baja 5.5 beta

hu2edeve.jpg

a5e9y6e3.jpg
    I always check out the battery saving posts more for my own curiosity than anything, but as long as my phone makes it through an entire day I'm all set.

Phones like the Note 3 have finally gotten to the point where they can get through an entire day WITHOUT resorting to extreme measures like the ones listed here.

It used to drive me nuts to buy a smart phone with tons of cool features (my first smart phone was an XV6700 Apache VZ phone) and then have to turn half of them off so I wouldn't be looking for a charger at lunch time. I have GPS on at all times, weather updating every 30 minutes, GMAIL & Facebook on push, (Blue-tooth always on for my Galaxy gear watch) etc etc etc and my N3 still EASILY makes it through a very long work day (why anybody needs a 30+ hour battery life is beyond me, I have no problem whatever charging it each night).

I have done nothing to save battery other than use a custom ROM (just an easy way to not have a ton of apps running in the BG at all times) & no-brainer type things like running the brightness at 50% with a 30 second time out.
    I always check out the battery saving posts more for my own curiosity than anything, but as long as my phone makes it through an entire day I'm all set.

Phones like the Note 3 have finally gotten to the point where they can get through an entire day WITHOUT resorting to extreme measures like the ones listed here.

It used to drive me nuts to buy a smart phone with tons of cool features (my first smart phone was an XV6700 Apache VZ phone) and then have to turn half of them off so I wouldn't be looking for a charger at lunch time. I have GPS on at all times, weather updating every 30 minutes, GMAIL & Facebook on push, (Blue-tooth always on for my Galaxy gear watch) etc etc etc and my N3 still EASILY makes it through a very long work day (why anybody needs a 30+ hour battery life is beyond me, I have no problem whatever charging it each night).

I have done nothing to save battery other than use a custom ROM (just an easy way to not have a ton of apps running in the BG at all times) & no-brainer type things like running the brightness at 50% with a 30 second time out.

Rather than troll threads looking for somewhere to make yourself feel important, you should remember that not everyone is a supreme expert like you and some new users are discouraged with less than expected battery life from a new device.

Your need to feel superior to those who enjoy testing and pushing their devices to the max, is one of the main problems in forums like XDA.

As stated in the OP, these are suggested settings IF maximum battery life is your goal. IF you watch tons of videos, and stay connected to all your social media multiple times per hour, THESE settings are not for you.

It's called choice, some users enjoy maximizing battery life, some enjoy running every feature at full potential... Condescending to people who are taking the time to offer help others tells a lot about a person's character.

I see threads all the time that are useless for the way I run my device, I do the crazy thing and ignore them or continue on to the next thread.

You should try it some time.
    I decided to wait it out.. I got my 5 days...
    @az_biker nice thread here bro. Guys the tips that az_biker has given everyone here is right on. We should all be able to get a full days use and not have to worry about charging through the day. I've been unplugging at 4am and streaming music all day over 3g in a factory and browsing forums and Web through the day and still have over half a battery at 8pm.