[TOOL] Kernel Update Utility 0.9 - Flash kernels easily!

Search This thread

jkoljo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
Kernel Update Utility 0.9​
"Making kernel flashing a bit easier"

About:
This lightweight tool takes a kernel, and flashes it to your device. You can give it the kernel in zImage or CWM flashable zip format. Some people have come across bootloops when using clockworkmod to flash kernels, hopefully this tool will prove to fit better for the job. It can also push and apply kernel modules. I have now flashed a kernel using this tool more times than I can count, and not a single bootloop or failed flash.

This tool is ideal for people who do not want to mess with command lines, and people who want the job done fast and easy.

System requirements:

• Windows XP SP2 or higher
  • .NET 4.0
  • HTC Sync (or ADB drivers)
  • Rooted, ENG S-OFF Desire HD

Changelog:

0.9:
- Added support for Lee's kernels

0.8:
- Added support for Kamma's new kernels

0.7:
- Fixed Windows XP file not found -bug
- Optimized the code further

0.6:
- Most cmd windows hidden
- Better instructions in module pushing
- Out of beta!

0.5a:
- Optimized a lot of code
- Improved SU permissions; fixed modules not getting pushed with phones that do not have root adb by default
- Cleans up /system/lib/modules to ensure cp functionality

0.4:
- It is now possible to choose multiple modules
- It cleans up afterwards

0.3:
- CWM zip file flashing, pushes all modules
- Space in filename -bug fixed

0.2:
- Initial release
If you like my work, please consider (or just hit the thanks button :D):

Attachments

• main.JPG
    main.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 16,190
Last edited:

jkoljo

Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
Yeah, I will :)

I will also make this work with CWM flashable zips, I am programming that in right now.

Reactions: Haeriz

jkoljo

Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
It can now flash zip files that would usually be flashed in clockworkmod. Using my app to flash it should reduce the possibility of a bootloop. Also the space in filename -bug has been fixed.

e: Another update, now for selecting and applying kernel modules. Please leave feedback! Is there something I should change? Any features you would like to see in this tool?

Keep in mind that this tool can also be used for recovering from some bootloops, where kernel itself is not properly flashed. In some situations, however, boot.img corrupts in CWM flash, then you will have to restore a partial nandroid.

Last edited:

jkoljo

Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
Well, I can enable my tool to flash a recovery, but because flashing hboot is so risky, I think I will not do that feature..

So, are people interested in a recovery flasher?

htctouchelfin

Apr 22, 2009
So now I can flash the .zip files that before I was flashing with the recovery with this application?

jkoljo

Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
Yeah, if those files are kernels. This tool has been tested with Apache14's 1.2 and 1.5 GHz OC/UV kernels.

vimto25

Jan 1, 2009
Burton-On-Trent,UK
Noob question but how can you revert back to original kernal?
Not tried this yet But this is What I been waiting for. How long does the process take?
Thanks

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

Deicist

May 26, 2009
Used this tool to flash the Buzz 1.51GHz Kernel. First off, congrats on such an easy to use tool for noobs like me. It's really simple and straightforward. However, I now have a problem with my wifi not working (just shows 'error' in wifi settings). I'm guessing this is because the module didn't apply properly? I've tried it a couple of times now with the same result...although I fully accept it could be stupidity on my part.

Further info:

I have root (permenant, via visionary+) and S-off (Eng HBoot installed) but not installed clockwork recovery yet.

I start the app, set my DHD to 'charge only', tick 'I understand the risks' and click next.

Browse to the file I downloaded for the Kernel (this one) and click 'next'.

click 'go to fastboot' (phone reboots in fastboot mode) click 'Flash' and something about 'writing zimage' flashes past. Click Next. (phone reboots)

When phone reboots I enter my PIN, unlock the phone and select 'charge only' for the USB connection (this isn't mentioned, but I figure it needs to be connected like this for the adb stuff to work) and press 'apply modules'. Something on my phone requests superuser access (not sure if this is just co-incidence or something the app is doing) so I allow it. Loads of messages flash past on my desktop (I assume this is applying the modules) and the app says 'modules pushed and applied'.

My wifi status shows 'error' so I try a reboot. Still shows error.

Any ideas?

afrcom15

Sep 13, 2010
Cornwall
Used this tool to flash the Buzz 1.51GHz Kernel. First off, congrats on such an easy to use tool for noobs like me. It's really simple and straightforward. However, I now have a problem with my wifi not working (just shows 'error' in wifi settings). I'm guessing this is because the module didn't apply properly? I've tried it a couple of times now with the same result...although I fully accept it could be stupidity on my part.

Further info:

I have root (permenant, via visionary+) and S-off (Eng HBoot installed) but not installed clockwork recovery yet.

I start the app, set my DHD to 'charge only', tick 'I understand the risks' and click next.

Browse to the file I downloaded for the Kernel (this one) and click 'next'.

click 'go to fastboot' (phone reboots in fastboot mode) click 'Flash' and something about 'writing zimage' flashes past. Click Next. (phone reboots)

When phone reboots I enter my PIN, unlock the phone and select 'charge only' for the USB connection (this isn't mentioned, but I figure it needs to be connected like this for the adb stuff to work) and press 'apply modules'. Something on my phone requests superuser access (not sure if this is just co-incidence or something the app is doing) so I allow it. Loads of messages flash past on my desktop (I assume this is applying the modules) and the app says 'modules pushed and applied'.

My wifi status shows 'error' so I try a reboot. Still shows error.

Any ideas?

Same issue here, does not push the wifi module

jkoljo

Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
Strange, it does push it for me. I'll investigate. It may have something to do with root rights, does bcm4329.ko appear to your sdcard?

Deicist

May 26, 2009
Nope, doesn't appear in sdcard.

For further info I tried it with 0.3 as well, same result.

Also, none of the modules get pushed, it's not just the wifi one.

jkoljo

Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
My app removes the files from sdcard afterwards, so they might not be there anymore when you check it. I have now uploaded a new version with completely new SuperUser access code, also a lot of the code has been optimized.

This version works for me 100%, I just flashed from Apache14's kernel to kamma's kernel and back, wifi worked every time.

Also keep in mind that you should wait for the Android system to fully boot up before trying to push and apply the modules. So wait for "Usb debugging connected" and "Charge only" :)

Please give feedback!

afrcom15

Sep 13, 2010
Cornwall
My app removes the files from sdcard afterwards, so they might not be there anymore when you check it. I have now uploaded a new version with completely new SuperUser access code, also a lot of the code has been optimized.

This version works for me 100%, I just flashed from Apache14's kernel to kamma's kernel and back, wifi worked every time.

Also keep in mind that you should wait for the Android system to fully boot up before trying to push and apply the modules. So wait for "Usb debugging connected" and "Charge only" :)

Please give feedback!

Nope, will not push wifi module, all phone settings are as per instructions

jkoljo

Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
Which rom are you on? Do you have HTC Sync 3.0 on your computer?

Try pushing modules manually as per Apache14's thread first post, if it works then the problem is propably in my tool, if it does not work, the problems is at your end.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kernel Update Utility 0.9​
    "Making kernel flashing a bit easier"

About:
    This lightweight tool takes a kernel, and flashes it to your device. You can give it the kernel in zImage or CWM flashable zip format. Some people have come across bootloops when using clockworkmod to flash kernels, hopefully this tool will prove to fit better for the job. It can also push and apply kernel modules. I have now flashed a kernel using this tool more times than I can count, and not a single bootloop or failed flash.

This tool is ideal for people who do not want to mess with command lines, and people who want the job done fast and easy.

System requirements:

• Windows XP SP2 or higher
    • .NET 4.0
    • HTC Sync (or ADB drivers)
    • Rooted, ENG S-OFF Desire HD

Changelog:

0.9:
    - Added support for Lee's kernels

0.8:
    - Added support for Kamma's new kernels

0.7:
    - Fixed Windows XP file not found -bug
    - Optimized the code further

0.6:
    - Most cmd windows hidden
    - Better instructions in module pushing
    - Out of beta!

0.5a:
    - Optimized a lot of code
    - Improved SU permissions; fixed modules not getting pushed with phones that do not have root adb by default
    - Cleans up /system/lib/modules to ensure cp functionality

0.4:
    - It is now possible to choose multiple modules
    - It cleans up afterwards

0.3:
    - CWM zip file flashing, pushes all modules
    - Space in filename -bug fixed

0.2:
    - Initial release
    If you like my work, please consider (or just hit the thanks button :D):
    Hi,

thanks !!

Please add more selections for ko files:

- tun.ko
    - cifs.ko
    - other

with friendly greet

starbase64
    Yeah, I will :)

I will also make this work with CWM flashable zips, I am programming that in right now.
    It can now flash zip files that would usually be flashed in clockworkmod. Using my app to flash it should reduce the possibility of a bootloop. Also the space in filename -bug has been fixed.

e: Another update, now for selecting and applying kernel modules. Please leave feedback! Is there something I should change? Any features you would like to see in this tool?

Keep in mind that this tool can also be used for recovering from some bootloops, where kernel itself is not properly flashed. In some situations, however, boot.img corrupts in CWM flash, then you will have to restore a partial nandroid.
    Well, I can enable my tool to flash a recovery, but because flashing hboot is so risky, I think I will not do that feature..

So, are people interested in a recovery flasher?