Car charger with AC "Like" wiring

Search This thread

spit_fire

Aug 27, 2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
Interestingly, one buyer noted that their pins were already soldered together from the factory.

That picture, which had been uploaded by the unhappy buyer, describes the soldering/ mod that they did themselves. The Griffin PowerJolt doesn't come with its data pins pre-soldered.

I use CoPilot (v8) quite a bit, mine manages to hold charge and stay topped up.

Have you got the CC C200 as well? If you did, a link to where I may be able to purchase one would be highly appreciated.

Yannick1988

Jul 28, 2012
I'm facing the same problem using my HTC with gps in my car.

i ran some test at home with a app called fast discharge to drain battery and monitor the battery using battery monitor. Battery drain is about -850ma on battery

Test are made during one minute with log of current every 10 seconds.
1)ORIGINAL wall HTC charger+ORIGINAL cable, detected as AC, battery is still charging about 300-350ma (with still fast discharge draining battery at -850ma)
1)ORIGINAL wall HTC charger+3RD PARTY cable, detected as AC too, BUT battery is discharging about at -50 ma (with still fast discharge draining battery at -850ma)

What is the conclusion? Even a AC detected cable but not original won't charge the battery as well as the original one. But why? Is there a chip in the cable? Are 3rd party cable to thin?

Thank you for your help.

drloakes

Oct 29, 2006
Haywards Heath
Various charging currents

Hi, I've had the same problems with charging current not being enough to keep the phone topped up while using Co-Pillot. I eventually worked out it was the cheap usb leads that come with the charger, the HTC usb lead uses much thicker cables for the power and ground feeds and thus allows more current to flow and hence approach the 1000ma max charge rate. using the cheaper leads i got less the 400ma so brough a few genuine htc leads off ebay and this fixed the problem.

Wildfire-Hooves

May 15, 2012
Peine
peinerpegasus.blogspot.de
How can be done to use the cable for file transfer and for fast charging? Is it a way to do this?

use a extensioncable open the cable jacketing twist the Datacables togehter on the Device side.
Like i the Diagram showed (sry 5min work in paint)
attachment.php

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,171
Last edited:

besotsima

Jan 16, 2013
I have Ipad Griffin charger and it has 2.1 amp, It charges like AC charger, but on HOX I found that it needs 1 amp. Is it possible to damage my phone?

Wildfire-Hooves

May 15, 2012
Peine
peinerpegasus.blogspot.de
AW: Car charger with AC "Like" wiring

I have Ipad Griffin charger and it has 2.1 amp, It charges like AC charger, but on HOX I found that it needs 1 amp. Is it possible to damage my phone?

Nope I nothing bad will happen.
The phone use only that was he want.
Every phone has a Secure charging control.
You can use a charger with 12A if you want but the phone will only use what he wants not more.

Written with my Omega powered GT-N7100 with Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 2496007
    The problem you are having is that most OEM car charger manufacturers don’t appreciate how our smartphones work, and they neglect to short the two data pins out in your charger.

When you plug your official HTC wall charger in, the phone detects that the two unnecessary data pins are shorted out (as obviously HTC know to do this) and the phone will not limit it’s own charge to 500mA.

Use an unofficial charger, and the phone see no short on the data pins and so assumes it’s plugged into a PC/laptop USB port, and will restrict it’s own charging to 500mA to prevent damage to a motherboard.

Your car charger may very well be capable of dishing out 1A, but they manufacturers just didn’t appreciate what they need to do to tell your phone to start taking it.

I have had this trouble before, and there are a couple of options.

1) Only use official HTC car charger.
    2) Take a spare charging cable, and carefully peel back the insulation. Then carefully cut back the screen. You’ll find 4 wires. Red, black, green & white. It is the green and white that are data. Cut these. The end of the cable that plugs into the phone, twist the white and green cables together. Insulate with electrical tape. Tape the cable back up. NEVER USE THIS CABLE WITH A PC/LAPTOP. But you should now find you charge at AC.

Been using a modified cable in my car charger for years, including with this HOX with no problems.
    its not AC or DC that effects the current output of the device

you simply need to find a car charger with a 5 watt (5 volt @ 1 amp) output

like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-GC2...W6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1338119269&sr=8-12

note the iphone compatibility is simply because they include an ipod cable, use the HOX cable and you'll be fine
    Many chargers designed for iOS devices will only charge non-Apple devices at 500mA even if the charger is rated at 1A. The Battery Status will read "Charging (USB)" instead of "Charging (AC)". You can often fix this by shorting the middle two USB leads in the charger (in Type A connectors, these are the data lines). Or you can get a charge-only cable which essentially does the same thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Naztech-Micro-USB-Charging-Cable/dp/B003VYBCAY
    Check the "battery use" under settings>power.

While charging, it will say "Charging (USB)" or "Charging (AC)". If it is charging (AC), then your cable is ok, just make sure your charger's output rating is 5V x 1A.

Also, note that if your in a hot country, and your phone is under the windsheild, under sunlight, the phone would heat up & not charge (light will flash red).
    *chung* said:
    Has anyone tried the HTC CC C100 or CC C200?

Bought the eBay car charger that was recommended earlier, but still get USB charging with it in my 05 Focus + the HTC charging cable
    - Could my car the problem????

Anyway was looking at either the Griffin PowerJolt that was also recommended earlier or the official car charger
    - Just want to make sure I get AC charging when using GPS!

I've got the c200 and it works at full ac speed as long as I use an official htc cable with it.