Modding HTC One X Desktop Dock?

Search This thread

icingdeath88

Dec 11, 2008
Tampa
Hi. I just ran into this old thread. I just got my att htc one x plus and i really want to make this dock work for it. This morning i received the uk dock so im ready for some modding. Do you still have it? do you have any pics of your result? thank you and much appreciated.

Sorry for the late response, forgot I ever even posted this. I still use the modded dock to charge my phone most of the time.

Some info which might be useful:
There are 8 screws holding the dock together. 2 in each front corner and 4 along the back side, basically. Peel up the rubber on the bottom to get to them.
I was planning to switch to nicer little foam pieces for the phone to sit against on the bottom, but I got lazy and left them there. Those are the bits of red tape in the pics below. I also never removed the tape, because it's clear and doesn't bother me.
There is a magnet in the dock to help get the phone positioned right when you set it down.
@ Jamesyboy The difference between the UK (or intl or w/e) version and the US version should be limited to just the pogo pins.

Here are some pics.

IMAG0438.JPG

IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

IMAG0441.jpg

IMAG0443.jpg

IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0445.jpg

kcchen

Mar 7, 2005
Interesting desktop charger mod. Thanks for the pics. Too bad there wasn't enough room in the case to move the whole circuit board down.

kcchen

Mar 7, 2005
What do you mean? I did move the whole pogo pin circuit board, it just overhangs the section of the dock that I moved.

Oh... Well reverse engineering, I thought the foam tape was to shift the phone up for proper alignment. So I thpoight there was a restriction inside preventing the circuit board to be shifted further down. Sorry for my bad assumptions. :)

icingdeath88

Dec 11, 2008
Tampa
Oh... Well reverse engineering, I thought the foam tape was to shift the phone up for proper alignment. So I thpoight there was a restriction inside preventing the circuit board to be shifted further down. Sorry for my bad assumptions. :)

Ah, gotcha. The foam pads are instead of the little tray that sits in the dock to position the phone.

dafob

Dec 12, 2006
Planet Earth
Another CR-S650 Mod for AT&T HOX/HOX+

After see icingdeath88's attempt at modding the CR-S650 dock to fit the AT&T HOX, I was inspired to order the dock and make the same mods for my AT&T HOX+. It was actually a lot easier than I had anticipated because the HOXL+ POGO pins are only shifted over 1 slot. All that was needed was to drill a new hole and move the POGO board over one slot. I didn't have to cut out the entire piece like he did.

Pics and details posted on the HOX+ thread here.

Just wanted to say "Thanks!" to icingdeath88's photos. Now I also have a working POGO dock for the AT&T HOX+! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 954wrecker

dafob

Dec 12, 2006
Planet Earth
So the pogo pads on the ATT HOX+ are in another different spot? That's mildly irritating...

Glad you got a dock working too :)

I think the POGO pins for the AT&T HOX and HOX+ are in the same identical spot. I compared the two at the AT&T store and couldn't tell them apart physically. So if you ever get a HOX+, you'll know it'll work with your modded dock... :laugh:

icingdeath88

Dec 11, 2008
Tampa
Neat. It looked to me like the pads were moved both down and to the side, and I couldn't get them to line up when I tried it. But if it's just moved down by one pad, then it's a lot easier to mod it the way you did.

dafob

Dec 12, 2006
Planet Earth
Neat. It looked to me like the pads were moved both down and to the side, and I couldn't get them to line up when I tried it. But if it's just moved down by one pad, then it's a lot easier to mod it the way you did.

Also, I find it funny that you had to insert two pads on the bottom of the dock to raise your phone whereas I had to shave off the two plastic tabs where you have your pads to lower my phone to get a better contact. But looks like neither one of us needs the plastic tray nor will we be able to use a case w/ our phones.

Just wished HTC had made a stupid dock for the HOXL/HOXL+ from the get-go...

Reactions: tekkneke

icingdeath88

Dec 11, 2008
Tampa
Also, I find it funny that you had to insert two pads on the bottom of the dock to raise your phone whereas I had to shave off the two plastic tabs where you have your pads to lower my phone to get a better contact. But looks like neither one of us needs the plastic tray nor will we be able to use a case w/ our phones.

That's odd. Yea I really wonder why they would bother putting the pogo pads on the phones in the first place and then not make a dock to go with them.

AF241

Dec 26, 2005
I have modded a one x dock, when I place my phone in the dock the phone charges and the orientation changes to landscape. All seem to be good but I don't get sounds through the dock nor do I get to the proper desktop dock mode. Any idea what maybe wrong?

icingdeath88

Dec 11, 2008
Tampa
I have modded a one x dock, when I place my phone in the dock the phone charges and the orientation changes to landscape. All seem to be good but I don't get sounds through the dock nor do I get to the proper desktop dock mode. Any idea what maybe wrong?

This is entirely a guess, but maybe one or two of the pogo pins isn't making good contact with the pad? Or, maybe one of the connections inside the dock didn't get connected before putting it back together? It's hard to troubleshoot that kind of problem without having the device right in front of you sometimes.

Reactions: AF241

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi. I just ran into this old thread. I just got my att htc one x plus and i really want to make this dock work for it. This morning i received the uk dock so im ready for some modding. Do you still have it? do you have any pics of your result? thank you and much appreciated.

Sorry for the late response, forgot I ever even posted this. I still use the modded dock to charge my phone most of the time.

Some info which might be useful:
    There are 8 screws holding the dock together. 2 in each front corner and 4 along the back side, basically. Peel up the rubber on the bottom to get to them.
    I was planning to switch to nicer little foam pieces for the phone to sit against on the bottom, but I got lazy and left them there. Those are the bits of red tape in the pics below. I also never removed the tape, because it's clear and doesn't bother me.
    There is a magnet in the dock to help get the phone positioned right when you set it down.
    @ Jamesyboy The difference between the UK (or intl or w/e) version and the US version should be limited to just the pogo pins.

Here are some pics.

IMAG0438.JPG

IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

IMAG0441.jpg

IMAG0443.jpg

IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0445.jpg
    It's on the AT&T store, but apparently it hasn't shipped out to anyone yet. Also they won't apply my discount to it either. Very weird.
    Pictures of the electronics

Hi Folks,

I got me a One X cradle today, works pretty awesome.
    Just drop the phone on it and it starts charging and playing music instantly (if music was already on.)
    The sound is pretty good, just got no bass, but can't expect that of a dock with no woofer.

That's why I want to try and mod in a Jack plug in the circuit, so I can hook it up to my stereo really easy.
    For that I was opening the dock and remembered this thread, may as well make some pictures and share.

In return, can anyone give me some advice on how to place the jack plug?
    I was thinking of cutting the wires that go from the main PCB to the speakers and place a jack and a switch between.
    So I can switch between jack and speakers with the switch.
    But I'm not 100% sure this will work, any advice before I ruin my dock at the first day?
    If I use this method, do I use two read wires and one black, or the other way around?
    Would like to have a stereo output of cores.

Would it be better to hook it up before the main PCB (before the signal is amplified)?
    I can't really figure out what wire is what, except for the wires that go to the speakers.

here's the album: http://imageshack.us/g/339/imag0092ms.jpg/

About the the small PCB with the 5 pogo pins.
    If the spacing between the pins is the same on XL as on X, you could move this PCB and maybe make things fit for the XL. But doesn't seam easy. If the spacing is different, than it would be very very hard. The pins a re pressed through a small metal beam and than soldered individually.
    Another CR-S650 Mod for AT&T HOX/HOX+

After see icingdeath88's attempt at modding the CR-S650 dock to fit the AT&T HOX, I was inspired to order the dock and make the same mods for my AT&T HOX+. It was actually a lot easier than I had anticipated because the HOXL+ POGO pins are only shifted over 1 slot. All that was needed was to drill a new hole and move the POGO board over one slot. I didn't have to cut out the entire piece like he did.

Pics and details posted on the HOX+ thread here.

Just wanted to say "Thanks!" to icingdeath88's photos. Now I also have a working POGO dock for the AT&T HOX+! :D