Having problems with all non-stock ROMs.

Search This thread

Not_an_S

May 9, 2010
So, I got an S3 some time ago, and I found stock gross and ugly. So I tried CyanogenMod, which started having random reboots and freezes, a certain game (The Room) would consistenly hang, and when I bought an SD card for it, it would pop up constant notifications of "Preparing SD card" and then "SD card removed unexpectedly". I switched to CyanFox, which had the same SD card issues until I formatted it to exFAT. That too started hanging and restarting randomly. I flashed stock back on, deleting everything as far as I know, and that seemed to work fine (although I didn't try it for too long, only a few hours), but it was still gross, so I tried CyanFox (same problems), ParanoidAndroid (same problems, and then finally LiquidSmooth which worked absolutely fine at first and then soon after would hang if I tried to shut it down, and then after that, would start having the SD card issues. I'm thinking it might be something with the few apps I'm loading on (IM+ Pro, MyFitnessPal, Play Music, Chrome, ES File Explorer), and maybe the SD card issues are only with this single card, because only just recently did I get a second card, which actually doesn't seem to be having problems, but either way (and also TL;DR version):

CyanogenMod 10 is crashing and hanging
CyanFox is crashing and hanging
ParanoidAndroid is crashing and hanging
LiquidSmooth won't shut down properly

I'm using the latest CWM touch (although I've tried flashing with TWRP and it didn't fix anything), I haven't been restoring backups when switching ROMs, and I just can't figure out what's doing this.

EDIT: Actually LiquidSmooth seems to be shutting down fine with the different SD card. I only tested it midway writing this post. I'm still curious about why I'd be having these problems, but I'm not really willing to screw this up to troubleshoot...

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
So you never had any problems with the stock ROM after installing your games, apps, etc.?

winosxbuntu

Apr 30, 2013
LA
So, I got an S3 some time ago, and I found stock gross and ugly. So I tried CyanogenMod, which started having random reboots and freezes, a certain game (The Room) would consistenly hang, and when I bought an SD card for it, it would pop up constant notifications of "Preparing SD card" and then "SD card removed unexpectedly". I switched to CyanFox, which had the same SD card issues until I formatted it to exFAT. That too started hanging and restarting randomly. I flashed stock back on, deleting everything as far as I know, and that seemed to work fine (although I didn't try it for too long, only a few hours), but it was still gross, so I tried CyanFox (same problems), ParanoidAndroid (same problems, and then finally LiquidSmooth which worked absolutely fine at first and then soon after would hang if I tried to shut it down, and then after that, would start having the SD card issues. I'm thinking it might be something with the few apps I'm loading on (IM+ Pro, MyFitnessPal, Play Music, Chrome, ES File Explorer), and maybe the SD card issues are only with this single card, because only just recently did I get a second card, which actually doesn't seem to be having problems, but either way (and also TL;DR version):

CyanogenMod 10 is crashing and hanging
CyanFox is crashing and hanging
ParanoidAndroid is crashing and hanging
LiquidSmooth won't shut down properly

I'm using the latest CWM touch (although I've tried flashing with TWRP and it didn't fix anything), I haven't been restoring backups when switching ROMs, and I just can't figure out what's doing this.

EDIT: Actually LiquidSmooth seems to be shutting down fine with the different SD card. I only tested it midway writing this post. I'm still curious about why I'd be having these problems, but I'm not really willing to screw this up to troubleshoot...

trying wiping everything go back to stock 4.3 then reload a NONSTOCK 4.4/4.3 rom and see if that helps