[Q] Impact of Root/ROM on Sasmung OS Updates & App Purchases

Search This thread

mhonard

Jul 31, 2012
Will rooting stop the ability to do Samsung OS updates or Samsung purchases from their app store?

GldRush98

Jun 3, 2006
Taylorville, IL.
www.GldRush98.com
From what I've found; Yes, rooting disables the OS update. You can use the Wanam Xposed module to re-enable them, but I'm not entirely sure it will flash properly.
I can't speak for the Samsung app store as I don't use it.

mikep2323

Dec 14, 2011
Will rooting stop the ability to do Samsung OS updates or Samsung purchases from their app store?

I will stop updates from Samsung but when updates come out you'll just have to flash update with Odin. If you search around forum you can find out how. It's very easy to do. I don't think it will mess up nothing with Samsung store. I don't use it and got rid of it but I did have it on after rooting and everything was fine.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Pretty sure you won't be able to use Samsung video Hub because of Copy Protection after root

Rooted and I downloaded a few movies from Samsung store, they have a weird format (non standard format)... Works fine. Samsung store no problem.
Also downloaded movies from the hub, again no problem...
You can't get OTA updates but you can download the roms and flash via ODIN (if you have Knox warranty void 0x0 there's no problem). This won't trip Knox warranty void...

kkretch

Jan 1, 2013
near Pittsburgh
Rooted and I downloaded a few movies from Samsung store, they have a weird format (non standard format)... Works fine. Samsung store no problem.
Also downloaded movies from the hub, again no problem...
You can't get OTA updates but you can download the roms and flash via ODIN (if you have Knox warranty void 0x0 there's no problem). This won't trip Knox warranty void...

Clean rom or just stock rooted? I get kicked to home screen from samsung video store.

Do you both have access to Hub Music??? What recovery are you both using?

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Clean rom or just stock rooted? I get kicked to home screen from samsung video store.

Stock rooted, with stock recovery and xposed cosmetic status installed...

Haven't tried the music hub as I've got what I want...
On video hub though our country got was issued a 5 movie for free voucher. I got all 5 movies... and a few others too from the movie hub...